Benedict Record | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Benedict Record

Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter what I want. We have 4 men’s basketball championships on the wall and it meant nothing in conference realignment. Maybe we should have tried investing and hiring good coaches to be respectable in football.
Then why bother voicing your opinion.

Reaction Score
I am happy UConn beat perennial power in hockey, BU, on Sat. Score 5 to 1. Give AD Dave Benedict credit for that. But he has yet to clean up UConn FB.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The first year of Edsalls return we had a top 50 offense because Dave brought in Lashlee, gave Edsall two seasons after that and fired him this year and yall blame Dave, the same guy that brought our Basketball team back with a splash hire. The same guy that probably played a major role convincing the higher ups to pay up for a top tier HC and coaching staff… you guys are so emotionally blind.
I would hardly say we’re back in hoop.

Reaction Score
DB is a db
He is not the football guy he has claimed
He will never AD at any reputable P5 school
Time to clean house in the Athletic Dept
And don't give me that "he hired DH" crap. DH was handed to him by JC and DH better win some tourney games this year
Love how the basketball fanbois beat on thier chest that basketball "is back" when DH has done nothing results wise that reach traditional UConn standards. Might want to wait a few seasons fellas. Oh and don't get me started on the watered-down Big East where we've bet our future on casting our lot with small time private religious schools.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Love how the basketball fanbois beat on thier chest that basketball "is back" when DH has done nothing results wise that reach traditional UConn standards. Might want to wait a few seasons fellas. Oh and don't get me started on the watered-down Big East where we've bet our future on casting our lot with small time private religious schools.

The good thing about the new Big East move was that it would get the BB only knuckleheads to shut up.

The problem is that knuckleheads never shut up.

I did like your "fanbois" spelling BTW, intentional or not. From now on I'm going to call the BB-only crowd "The Fanbois" with my best snotty French accent. It seems fitting.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s 2021 and apparently we still have people here who need it explained to them football moves the bus.
No, what we need is an explanation on why you think your endless, repetitive tirades do any good. They can't even be cathartic for you by now.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter what I want. We have 4 men’s basketball championships on the wall and it meant nothing in conference realignment. Maybe we should have tried investing and hiring good coaches to be respectable in football.
The reason we even have a FBS level football program is in part due to those 4 MBB championships. Without the basketball program making UConn a reputable national brand, the university doesn’t grow like it did to support an FBS level program.

When UConn hired Lew Perkins as AD in the early 90s he wanted to take the program FBS but UConn was in a major budget crisis and that really hamstrung that move.

The growth of the school in the late 90s and early 2000s because of basketball made it possible. Between 1995 and 2004 out of state student enrollment doubled, signaling that UConn was now on the national map.

At this point, basketball success or failure is irrelevant because the school now has national brand recognition, thanks to those 4 championships. Football needs to get it done on its own merits now.

Reaction Score
The reason we even have a FBS level football program is in part due to those 4 MBB championships. Without the basketball program making UConn a reputable national brand, the university doesn’t grow like it did to support an FBS level program.

When UConn hired Lew Perkins as AD in the early 90s he wanted to take the program FBS but UConn was in a major budget crisis and that really hamstrung that move.

The growth of the school in the late 90s and early 2000s because of basketball made it possible. Between 1995 and 2004 out of state student enrollment doubled, signaling that UConn was now on the national map.

At this point, basketball success or failure is irrelevant because the school now has national brand recognition, thanks to those 4 championships. Football needs to get it done on its own merits now.

In any business you can’t live off your laurels forever. If Randy 2.0 taught us anything at a lower level.
The time to get better abd achieve results is now.

Reaction Score
Is it time to send him packing?
He may be leaving on his own if he doesn’t get his way on the next hire, and if he does leave, the reverberations would be a disaster for ALL UConn athletics for many years to come. UConn would become a southern extension of the University of Vermont, and no FBS level AD in his right mind would ever come here again.

Reaction Score
He may be leaving on his own if he doesn’t get his way on the next hire, and if he does leave, the reverberations would be a disaster for ALL UConn athletics for many years to come. UConn would become a southern extension of the University of Vermont, and no FBS level AD in his right mind would ever come here again.
Why wouldn’t he leave on his own the first time he didn’t get his way on the hire? (I am going with the theory that he didn’t have a say even there is no evidence of that)

Reaction Score
Why wouldn’t he leave on his own the first time he didn’t get his way on the hire? (I am going with the theory that he didn’t have a say even there is no evidence of that)
Maybe he should have. Anyway, as it stands now, the only things he can put on his resume are he fired Kevin Ollie, Bob Diaco, and Randy Edsall. He needs to make a good football hire, conduct interviews and so on and so forth, just like he did with Hurley after the school cut ties with Ollie. If UConn doesn’t give him that freedom to recommend a coach to the BOT, I think he’s gone from Storrs fairly quickly.

Reaction Score
This could be good.

When you read it, take out "UMass" and replace it with "UConn"..

And, lets figure out what does success under David Benedict look like? Because the status quo is pretty rotten.

Reaction Score
How rotten that Matt Brown was doing forensic analysis on UMass football... and they ended up beating UConn pretty bad.

If you paid attention to the media this weekend, there isn't much difference between the UMass and UConn brands in the minds of most fans.

That's a branding jail that will be very HARD to escape.

Reaction Score
Maybe he should have. Anyway, as it stands now, the only things he can put on his resume are he fired Kevin Ollie, Bob Diaco, and Randy Edsall. He needs to make a good football hire, conduct interviews and so on and so forth, just like he did with Hurley after the school cut ties with Ollie. If UConn doesn’t give him that freedom to recommend a coach to the BOT, I think he’s gone from Storrs fairly quickly.
So it was his decision to hire Hurley but not Edsall? Interesting. Makes sense.

Reaction Score
This could be good.

When you read it, take out "UMass" and replace it with "UConn"..

And, lets figure out what does success under David Benedict look like? Because the status quo is pretty rotten.

How rotten that Matt Brown was doing forensic analysis on UMass football... and they ended up beating UConn pretty bad.

If you paid attention to the media this weekend, there isn't much difference between the UMass and UConn brands in the minds of most fans.

That's a branding jail that will be very HARD to escape.

I’m sure you are disappointed in the tone/context of the article…

Reaction Score
I have no issues with Dave, but I think he should tell us where Mazzone went sooner than later. His absence is what created this mess on Saturday more than anything else.

Reaction Score
He also gave Ollie and Diaco raises prior to firing them. Not his best work.

Reaction Score
Ok, I think our HC for football will be a home run. Do you guys want to drop football or take it back to our glory days in FCS? I'll tell you this, we didn't have glory days when we were in FCS! FCS is a money loser. Oh do you think we should drop football? We can use the money we save not having a football team by keeping an empty RENT into a white elephant. An unused 40K seat stadium, a sign of loser mentality Connecticut taxpayers have. If it is to hard, just quit...

Thank goodness some of you so called football fans weren't around in colonial times, you might have given the Colonial Constitution to the British instead of hiding it.

Yes, we are bad now, but we were a bowl team in the past, we will be again! It is going to take time. If you so called football fans are against DB, go and root for CCSU, Yale, New Haven, Trinity...just get off this board. I'm thinking DB has a great coach that he will hire!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is it time to send him packing?
I think UConn sports are doing pretty well. Football is an exception, a big one for sure, but Benedict was forced into RE and he is hardly a flop as far as the athletic department goes. Unfortunately it’s going to be a few years for the next FB coach to right the ship. If they stick around we have several pretty skilled young players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom