Ben Gordon: “Where Is My Mind” | The Boneyard

Ben Gordon: “Where Is My Mind”

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Some background, Kev.

I see this as Ben telling his story directly to us, instead of through an SI drone like the article above. That's why the Player's Tribune exists. It's rawness may have alarmed you but read the SI article and then re-read Ben's PT again. Should relieve some of your concern my friend. Good looking out though.

Reaction Score
Whoa....damn, I am glad he wrote that. Glad he got arrested. Damn.

Alarming is the the right word. We see people, especially famous people, slide toward the edge and we laugh it off or ignore it. To read a description of what his descent was....alarming.

Reaction Score
BG is my favorite player we've had (see avy). In the recent trend of mental health awareness and transparency from athletes, this is one of the more harrowing experiences I've read. It's heartbreaking what people's own brain can put them through. The human mind is one hell of a mystery. I hope he's found permanent peace and a support system that will work for the rest of his life.

Reaction Score
According to google. he still has a net worth of $20 million. At least he didn't end up broke. It's a lot easier to go down a difficult path when you don't have resources to help with medical bills. Glad he got help before it was too late.

1582256119656.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
God Benny was so nasty back in 04. God I miss those days. Hurts extra this time of year when we should be talking about if we’re going to be a 1seed. Instead we re discussing running table against the Tulanes of the world to possibly sneak an NIT bid. Geez.

Reaction Score
How Ben G. articulates his mental state as a basketball player and the contrast to his outward demeanor on the court was fascinating. Especially with all his subsequent mental health issues.

Thanks for sharing. Killer mindset on the court.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ben's gonna save lives with this. Not just his own. The stuff he's going through, millions of people go through it every day.

Can't wait to get him back here for a game so he can get a huge ovation and remember how much he's loved here. His story can teach so much to the team, too.

Reaction Score
One of the best descriptions of a mind in distress I've read. There are so many out there where he was. And he is correct - society still isn't allowing that admission of needing help. I worked in mental health for years - that recognition of oneself is amazing when it happens.
I loved the way he described his on court persona - always had that outward calm and aloofness. Who knew it was a cover for the turmoil inside. Can't believe he went as long as he did keeping the turmoil hidden.
Wish you the best Ben - glad you are talking about it - maybe it will help others realize it is ok to admit you can't do it alone .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really a nice piece to help us understand what went on with him. What’s going on. Kudos to Ben for having the courage to put himself out there in this way. Maybe he can help others.

Reaction Score
Very powerful article and introspection. How many people get out of the cycle or loop as he calls it. He should be able help other people.

Reaction Score
Beautiful piece. Really illuminating.

Once you've hit the point of your mental illness that you can talk about it, it usually means you aren't in the worst of it. Which is great.

It is especially inspiring because so many Black Americans are suffering under the stigma of not being able to get mental health help. With any luck being this open will help inspire others to seek the help they need.

I hope he is doing okay and finds peace.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Ben Gordon will save some lives with this. His openness is amazing.
Superjohn, you're 100% right with this. People are ashamed of mental health. Afraid to call out for help. I hope that a person with his status will show people, and give them the courage, that it's OK to be honest about needing to seek help. Knowing when to seek help, knowing when you've battled the demon long enough, knowing that you're too tired and weary to fight anymore on your own. That's honesty and truth. Asking for help, that's courageous. Really proud of Ben.

Reaction Score
this piece will give strength to those who need it - well done, BG.

thankful he got the help he needs. he's one of our own

Reaction Score
I've never been in that state so it's tough to understand. But reading his piece paints a picture that you can see how depression takes hold of someone. That was enlightening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom