Ben Gordon: “Where Is My Mind” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ben Gordon: “Where Is My Mind”

Reaction Score
Beautiful piece. Really illuminating.

Once you've hit the point of your mental illness that you can talk about it, it usually means you aren't in the worst of it. Which is great.

It is especially inspiring because so many Black Americans are suffering under the stigma of not being able to get mental health help. With any luck being this open will help inspire others to seek the help they need.

I hope he is doing okay and finds peace.
Unfortunately not just Black Americans -

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tragic, and I'm happy he has learned to cope with it. Extremely courageous, but that's Ben Gordon. Prayers for a peaceful life.
Tragic? Nah.

Tragic would be if he had jumped.
Tragic would be if he had not gotten arrested.
Tragic would be if he did not find an outlet.
Tragic would be if he did not write this piece.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I remember when I played CYO trying to walk like Ben Gordon. This guy was my hero when I was a kid. Hope he does well. Seems like he is looking to help others as well.

Reaction Score
What’s awful is how fans and coaches and media can talk about a guy like himabout his demeanor on the court and inadvertently contribute to his feelings, anxiety etc get worse. Maybe they can celebrate NBE next yr with a Ben Gordon night. I totally get zoning out in a roomful of people but picking up on every quirky behavior of others. That really struck me when he said that. I do I have a hard time focusing gor long periods. Despite the corrupt NCAA how do you not fall in love with this program and the players involved over and over again?!?! Geezo.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony of the Courant wrote an article on this with a bunch of quotes from Calhoun. Good read.

“He's very articulate, a very gifted writer,” Calhoun said Friday afternoon. “For those who know Ben, love Ben, this has been quite a struggle for him starting after [the NBA] and didn't have quite the same purpose. He obviously has suffered through a lot of things, been in for help. There are a lot of us who love him and are out there to support him. I love Ben Gordon like a son. He's been much like a son to me in so many ways, more over the past couple years, particularly.”

Reaction Score
Great read, I’m happy he’s doing better. I give him credit for opening up and telling us really what was going on in what was a very very tumultuous time for him.

C

Chief00

Chief always liked Ben. In recent days, Chief talked to a few people, who also knew him fairly well too. None of us could foresee this happening. I think it is true, what helped make him a great player, may have hurt him late/post career live a normal life.

Reaction Score
Some Guy also wrote an article about this.

Jim Calhoun had hung up the phone with Ben Gordon’s mom Yvonne only a few minutes earlier when my call arrived.

“It is great that Ben is so honest,” Calhoun said. “The thing is he is going to continue to need help. Coming out, sharing his thoughts about feeling lost, the desperation, powerfully and dramatically, it is terrific for other people. So it is a great thing. Personally, Ben has to best as he can get a hold of this to make this a consistent lifestyle as opposed to the incredible highs and lows he continues to have
.”

Reaction Score
One of the realest, best pieces I've read in a while. Takes a lot to open up and be honest like that.

Wish BG the best in his continuing day to day struggles

Reaction Score
"There are a lot of us who love him and are out there to support him. I love Ben Gordon like a son. He's been much like a son to me in so many ways, more over the past couple years, particularly.”

JC is an amazing man! Glad Ben had him but more than amazed with Ben's ability to cope as he did finally as he was in a tragic place. He will help many others I am sure, you can feel it in his words.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom