Behind the scenes of Brett Yormark’s yearlong push to get the Big 12 to 16 (The Athletic) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Behind the scenes of Brett Yormark’s yearlong push to get the Big 12 to 16 (The Athletic)

Reaction Score
I guess, but deciding to use the A-10 as a measuring stick for how successful we are as a university means that we have essentially given up on being one of the premier universities athletically. So, what you've you as a "good deal", I view as surrender.
I'm not using the A-10 as a measuring stick for how successful UConn is. I'm using the A-10 as a measuring stick as to how much money a basketball only conference is worth to the media. I don't think our basketball program is getting paid pennies on the dollar for Big East basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Being a back up plan is not close. If you think that then you are crazy.

Being penciled in and nudged out by Louisville is close.

It’s hilarious because this whole article pretty much discredits that GoKU character.

Even if the PAC 12 held together it’s not even certain or clear that the Big 12 Presidents would have but on us.
What do you call "a back up plan" I call an alternative. We were the preferred choice by Yormark. If the Pac 12 stays together, we're in. If even one of the four corners schools decides to stay with the Pac 12, we're in. Your mark came to our campus and met with school officials in New York City. Do you think that was a head fake? Do you think he was being "deliberately cruel?" With all due respect (@businesslawyer ;)), and imagining all that away just so we could feel a little worse about our circumstances is a silly position.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not using the A-10 as a measuring stick for how successful UConn is. I'm using the A-10 as a measuring stick as to how much money a basketball only conference is worth to the media. I don't think our basketball program is getting paid pennies on the dollar for Big East basketball.
Yeah I think we're just wheel spinning here. The bottom line is the bottom line. In the notion that well it's only for basketball, really doesn't matter. I would respectfully suggest that the comparison is conference broadcast rights distributions. The Big East, quite literally, gets pennies on the dollar of what the major conferences receive.

Feel free to have the last word.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
The Big East, quite literally, gets pennies on the dollar of what the major conferences receive.
Reminds me of the putdowns that used to hurled at the conference, by that I mean when it was called The Big Least.

Reaction Score
What do you call "a back up plan" I call an alternative. We were the preferred choice by Yormark. If the Pac 12 stays together, we're in. If even one of the four corners schools decides to stay with the Pac 12, we're in. Your mark came to our campus and met with school officials in New York City. Do you think that was a head fake? Do you think he was being "deliberately cruel?" With all due respect (@businesslawyer ;)), and imagining all that away just so we could feel a little worse about our circumstances is a silly position.

That’s some spin.

We were the far less favored alternative.

Our brand doesn’t carry us very far.

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s some spin.

We were the far less favored alternative.

Our brand doesn’t carry us very far.
Shrugs.... I don't think it's spin in the least. Everything is factual. I'm getting the feeling you may be a glass is half empty kind of guy. ;)

Reaction Score
Maybe they "feel that way" but they'd be wrong. They are getting "pennies on the dollar" compared to P* schools, particularly P2 schools. By the way, I think you're wrong, I think Big East schools are acutely aware that they are being left behind financially by the P* schools, but even if that isn't the case, is that what you want the University of Connecticut to aspire to? To run athletic programs like a small private university? Who do we feel is our peer? Seton Hall or Rutgers, to use 2 New Jersey examples.
Its been all football driving the dollars. Yormark may say BB is undervalued, but his moves say otherwise.

You don't have to tell me, i was all in on a potential Big12 invite. Unfortunately the administration has let this FB program become a complete disaster. I've soured on Mora with his public crying this week about NIL. Keep that inhouse with your AD and administration.

Until this school figures how to get football to a competent level i expect them to continue to get passed over. It may be Memphis, Tulane, UTSA next i don't have a clue. I no longer get upset. We have to up our game in FB to be a worthwhile add. Nothing else seems to matter.

Reaction Score
Being a back up plan is not close. If you think that then you are crazy.

Being penciled in and nudged out by Louisville is close.

It’s hilarious because this whole article pretty much discredits that GoKU character.

Even if the PAC 12 held together it’s not even certain or clear that the Big 12 Presidents would have but on us.

Utah was a backup plan for the Pac-12 if Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State did not jump. Rutgers was also the B1G's backup plan if North Carolina or Virginia didn't jump. West Virginia was the Big 12's backup plan if Missouri decided to jump to the SEC. So if you are a direct backup plan you are close.

A Big 12 AD, I can't remember if it was Baylor's, Kansas State's or Texas Tech's, but they were interviewed a few weeks ago on 365sports and they said that if any of the Pac-12 schools did not jump that UConn was getting their spot. It was backed up in a recent article that Yormark said as much.

Reaction Score
Utah was a backup plan for the Pac-12 if Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State did not jump. Rutgers was also the B1G's backup plan if North Carolina or Virginia didn't jump. West Virginia was the Big 12's backup plan if Missouri decided to jump to the SEC. So if you are a direct backup plan you are close.

A Big 12 AD, I can't remember if it was Baylor's, Kansas State's or Texas Tech's, but they were interviewed a few weeks ago on 365sports and they said that if any of the Pac-12 schools did not jump that UConn was getting their spot. It was backed up in a recent article that Yormark said as much.
I don't really care either way, it's all semantics, but it sounds like your backup plans actually get invited. Arizona, AZ State, Utah, Colorado, Louisville are backup plans. Maybe UConn soon becomes a backup plan for the ACC when Clemson and FSU escape.

Reaction Score
The B1G and SEC are too good for us. The ACC is a perfect fit in almost every way except one - they cannot monetize us. When the ground shifts in a way that they can, it will probably be too late for them and for us. The B12 is such an awkward fit that the only way it makes sense for them is if they are so desperate that they are on life support as well.

Reaction Score

Sure buddy.

We’ve all seen this movie before. But believe whatever you want.

Reaction Score
I don't really care either way, it's all semantics, but it sounds like your backup plans actually get invited. Arizona, AZ State, Utah, Colorado, Louisville are backup plans. Maybe UConn soon becomes a backup plan for the ACC when Clemson and FSU escape.

These Big 12 idiots need to get lost.

CL82

Reaction Score
I used to think that, but lately I've come to believe that there are elements that very strongly oppose our joining the ACC. It wouldn't surprise me to see us passed over there again.

Reaction Score
I used to think that, but lately I've come to believe that there are elements that very strongly oppose our joining the ACC. It wouldn't surprise me to see us passed over there again.

The only thing we are joining up with for football is some low G5.

Or if we get lucky and the ACC is blown to smithereens we’ll link up with the smoking leftover remains of that event.

Reaction Score
yeah, i should have said when Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, NC State, VPI, GA Tech escape. It's almost as if our great basketball is working to keep us out as much as our struggling football.

CL82

Reaction Score
Or if we get lucky and the ACC is blown to smithereens we’ll link up with the smoking leftover remains of that event.
That's the sad truth, isn't it? Our upside appears to be relying upon the decimation of the existing ACC and even then will only get to join up with the "smoldering remains" of programs who can't find a home elsewhere.

Astonishingly, even that bleak scenario is better than what we have now.

Reaction Score
yeah, i should have said when Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, NC State, VPI, GA Tech escape. It's almost as if our great basketball is working to keep us out as much as our struggling football.

VPI? They may not even be in the club anymore.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Maybe UConn soon becomes a backup plan for the ACC when Clemson and FSU escape.
I have a science background; if I apply the Dangerfield theorem, Delaware State will get called up to join the ACC before UConn. Sure they’re 0-4, but they’ll lock up that pivotal Delaware market. BTW, they’ll play Central CT next week, go (the better) Blue Devils. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom