Behind the scenes of Brett Yormark’s yearlong push to get the Big 12 to 16 (The Athletic) | The Boneyard

Behind the scenes of Brett Yormark’s yearlong push to get the Big 12 to 16 (The Athletic)

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> UConn was different. It was no secret Yormark was most interested in inviting the Huskies to the Big 12 if the Pac-12 schools stuck together.

How far did it get with UConn? Yormark traveled to Storrs for a campus visit after the Huskies’ men’s basketball national title and later had a second meeting with their leadership in New York. The commissioner saw something his peers did not: a proven brand in men’s and women’s basketball that gets the league into New York City and the East Coast. He believed Jim Mora has the football program (currently 0-4 this season) heading in the right direction. He trusted that, over time, UConn would add value.

“I’m all about scenario management and think that’s critically important,” Yormark said. “We vetted them all out time and time again and tried to go down parallel paths with respect to how to work them.”

Still, it was always going to be tough to build support for that addition. ESPN and Fox were willing to pay full price for Pac-12 additions. The Big 12 board wanted Power 5 schools. It meant more to them. <-

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I still feel UConn was nothing more than bait and was the doomsday scenario backup to the backup. In the end, the Big12 went with football laggards (Utah having more recent success). UConn had/has no football value, and despite Yormark’s idea of basketball excellence, this was a pipedream. They toyed with us in 2016, for which even Tramel thought back then we’d be a decent fit.

Tramel: Why UConn should join BYU as Big 12's best expansion candidates

Nah, I don’t believe there was true sincerity. If UConn was truly vetted, then they should’ve pounced and offered, otherwise it’s another dog and pony show. Scenario management, more like snake oil salesman.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> UConn was different. It was no secret Yormark was most interested in inviting the Huskies to the Big 12 if the Pac-12 schools stuck together.

How far did it get with UConn? Yormark traveled to Storrs for a campus visit after the Huskies’ men’s basketball national title and later had a second meeting with their leadership in New York. The commissioner saw something his peers did not: a proven brand in men’s and women’s basketball that gets the league into New York City and the East Coast. He believed Jim Mora has the football program (currently 0-4 this season) heading in the right direction. He trusted that, over time, UConn would add value.

“I’m all about scenario management and think that’s critically important,” Yormark said. “We vetted them all out time and time again and tried to go down parallel paths with respect to how to work them.”

Still, it was always going to be tough to build support for that addition. ESPN and Fox were willing to pay full price for Pac-12 additions. The Big 12 board wanted Power 5 schools. It meant more to them. <-
We were close. This confirms with heard before that has the Big 10 not poached the Pac 12, we likely would've gotten in.

Reaction Score
If you read the entire article, you'd realize we weren't actually close. We were at best a backup plan and at worst a pawn.
Seems that way. I thought otherwise, but now, not so much.
Part of the problem was the B12 took 4 G5 schools already. I can understand that being distasteful once the PAC collapsed. They’d probably give back UCF and Cincy if they could. Houston and BYU are a good fit.

Reaction Score
Seems that way. I thought otherwise, but now, not so much.
Part of the problem was the B12 took 4 G5 schools already. I can understand that being distasteful once the PAC collapsed. They’d probably give back UCF and Cincy if they could. Houston and BYU are a good fit.
Yeah in so many words it says the Big XII board wouldn't vote for us because we aren't a P5 school and that they didn't want to try and convince Fox and ESPN to pay for a full share.

The P5 branding nonsense was the worst thing to ever happen to the sport. It added value to a bunch of schools that have no value.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you read the entire article, you'd realize we weren't actually close. We were at best a backup plan and at worst a pawn.
I read it a little differently. But for the big 10 taking Washington and Oregon it didn't look like all of Arizona Arizona State and Utah would have joined. In that case we were in.

It also makes clear that we were Yormark's preferred target. The conference presidents preferred " P5" schools. In the end the complete and utter collapse of the Pac 12 made so many P5 schools available that the big 12 decided to take them.

None of that means we were "a pawn". I'm not sure how much that really matters though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah in so many words it says the Big XII board wouldn't vote for us because we aren't a P5 school and that they didn't want to try and convince Fox and ESPN to pay for a full share.

The P5 branding nonsense was the worst thing to ever happen to the sport. It added value to a bunch of schools that have no value.
For what it's worth, ESPN had agreed to pay us a full share. It is less clear whether fox would agree to that given that they already had our broadcast rights for pennies on the dollar through the Big East.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Yormark, for all his posturing for UConn, wasn't listening to his constituents. He may have been saying apizza, but his bosses (Big12 board) were saying southwest BBQ. I had hoped UConn would get the invite, but this chatter of his never smelled right from the get go.

Reaction Score
Oh please. UConn was always the odd number scenario. This whole schtick about "we were done dirty by that Brett Yormark" is getting really really old.

Yormark, for all his posturing for UConn, wasn't listening to his constituents. He may have been saying apizza, but his bosses (Big12 board) were saying southwest BBQ. I had hoped UConn would get the invite, but this chatter of his never smelled right from the get go.
Every last person knew the presidents wanted PAC teams and Yormark was trying to sell them on UConn if plans went weird.

Reaction Score

We knew this would happen 2012, its why getting snubbed for Louisville and the "winning winners who love to win" letter were such a gut punch. It was a race to get in the tent. We haven't helped ourselves since then obviously.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, ESPN had agreed to pay us a full share. It is less clear whether fox would agree to that given that they already had our broadcast rights for pennies on the dollar through the Big East.
Is it pennies on the dollar? I keep hearing this but the BE is getting so much more than any other BB only conference that I'm not sure that is the case.

Reaction Score
Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF made the jump to P5...

UConn was in the wrong place, football wise. The timing was off.

If football had been having winning seasons, I think that the Huskies would be in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
We knew this would happen 2012, its why getting snubbed for Louisville and the "winning winners who love to win" letter were such a gut punch. It was a race to get in the tent. We haven't helped ourselves since then obviously.
I just find the whole thing so odd. These are supposed to be smart, serious people and yet they fall for ESPN narratives.

CL82

Reaction Score
Is it pennies on the dollar? I keep hearing this but the BE is getting so much more than any other BB only conference that I'm not sure that is the case.
Are there any other BB only conferences? If so are those teams peer institutions? If we consider ourselves to be the peers of P* institutions does accepting $4M-$8M per year in media rights allow us to compete against schools earning over 10x are media rights in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Are there any other BB only conferences? If so are those teams peer institutions? If we consider ourselves to be the peers of P* institutions does accepting $4M-$8M per year in media rights allow us to compete against schools earning over 10x are media rights in the Big East?
There are no conferences that are basketball only.

CL82

Reaction Score
There are no conferences that are basketball only.
Exactly. Even if there were it would be a pointless distinction.

Reaction Score
The A-10 is similar with publics George Mason, UMass, URI, VCU. So compared to the A-10 I think the Big East is getting a pretty good deal for "basketball only."

Reaction Score
Exactly. Even if there were it would be a pointless distinction.
Alright, the BE makes more than any conference that doesn't sponsor FBS football. Every school but one is probably thrilled with what they get from the networks and don't feel like they are getting "pennies on the dollar".

CL82

Reaction Score
The A-10 is similar with publics George Mason, UMass, URI, VCU. So compared to the A-10 I think the Big East is getting a pretty good deal for "basketball only."
I guess, but deciding to use the A-10 as a measuring stick for how successful we are as a university means that we have essentially given up on being one of the premier universities athletically. So, what you've you as a "good deal", I view as surrender.

CL82

Reaction Score
Alright, the BE makes more than any conference that doesn't sponsor FBS football. Every school but one is probably thrilled with what they get from the networks and don't feel like they are getting "pennies on the dollar".
Maybe they "feel that way" but they'd be wrong. They are getting "pennies on the dollar" compared to P* schools, particularly P2 schools. By the way, I think you're wrong, I think Big East schools are acutely aware that they are being left behind financially by the P* schools, but even if that isn't the case, is that what you want the University of Connecticut to aspire to? To run athletic programs like a small private university? Who do we feel is our peer? Seton Hall or Rutgers, to use 2 New Jersey examples.

CL82

Reaction Score
We were not close. Come on.
Disagree, but we're reading the same things so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Apparently Arizona State intended to stay until Oregon and Washington. If that happens, we're in.

Reaction Score
Disagree, but we're reading the same things so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Apparently Arizona State intended to stay until Oregon and Washington. If that happens, we're in.

Being a back up plan is not close. If you think that then you are crazy.

Being penciled in and nudged out by Louisville is close.

It’s hilarious because this whole article pretty much discredits that GoKU character.

Even if the PAC 12 held together it’s not even certain or clear that the Big 12 Presidents would have but on us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom