Beginning to think the CR party may be dead... | The Boneyard

Beginning to think the CR party may be dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If thats true I'll have alot of extra time on my hands. What does one do at the death of a hobby? Guess I´ll really have to get that piano tuning and home inspection business going after all.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Well, for me, if UConn does end up left behind, and when I move out of this over-taxed state, I will either reminisce about UConn glory days or I will find another school/team to root for. This may sound wrong, but in my dads era he watched those Brooklyn Bums at Ebbets Field and then they moved and he swore off baseball....until he had two kids playing little league and they needed their heroes so he went to the dark side and became a Yankee's fan! ...And no I am NOT a Red Sox fan. But then in my era the baseball strike happened and I never went back. I had been following their basketball since 1984 and so I sunk my teeth into all the UConn sports! Watched as the team left 1AA and went 1A.

So now, I have a daughter which means the sports I love are likely to become the things she wants to do and following her heroes. So this is why in my opinion with so much turmoil and when time is frozen and no further history is to be made, things get forgotten. So time to take the MEDS and continue to HOPE this does not happen, time for another season of UConn football, make each one count! Sell out the games, the Whalers left CT, The Huskies can't but will the sport leave them? And if it does, where will you say you were when the Lights went out! Were you at home complaining about the situation or were you getting your cars loaded with coolers and friends as you headed back home. So live for the game and watch the games while we can. Enough worrying about the things we cannot effectively change!

Reaction Score
I feel that way sometimes, too. Especially because I'm old. I may not see it in my lifetime. I try to have hope, but I'm beginning to think Fishy is right and nothing is on the horizon. It does seem so unfair. I tell myself that life isn't fair.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Just to clarify when I said hobby I was referring to following CR (which really means the Conference Realignment forum), not following UConn football. Hope springs eternal...

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
For you guys near the edge, did you see the great post on this board by RappinRodney yesterday: Dr. Liu, Dr, Liu, do you know Dr. Lou? There may be more ways than the obvious ones to skin the CR cat when it come to a potential P5 invite.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, for me, if UConn does end up left behind, and when I move out of this over-taxed state, I will either reminisce about UConn glory days or I will find another school/team to root for. This may sound wrong, but in my dads era he watched those Brooklyn Bums at Ebbets Field and then they moved and he swore off baseball....until he had two kids playing little league and they needed their heroes so he went to the dark side and became a Yankee's fan! ...And no I am NOT a Red Sox fan. But then in my era the baseball strike happened and I never went back. I had been following their basketball since 1984 and so I sunk my teeth into all the UConn sports! Watched as the team left 1AA and went 1A.

So now, I have a daughter which means the sports I love are likely to become the things she wants to do and following her heroes. So this is why in my opinion with so much turmoil and when time is frozen and no further history is to be made, things get forgotten. So time to take the MEDS and continue to HOPE this does not happen, time for another season of UConn football, make each one count! Sell out the games, the Whalers left CT, The Huskies can't but will the sport leave them? And if it does, where will you say you were when the Lights went out! Were you at home complaining about the situation or were you getting your cars loaded with coolers and friends as you headed back home. So live for the game and watch the games while we can. Enough worrying about the things we cannot effectively change!

Well in the 21st century you can follow a team from anywhere. So you can move and still see every game.

If the AAC has a saving grace it's that the games are wallpaper on media properties. You could see every AAC game this season if you were inclined.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't agree that CR is over but I, for one, can't wait until UCONN's name and number are called. That will be the first day of my life.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I feel that way sometimes, too. Especially because I'm old. I may not see it in my lifetime. I try to have hope, but I'm beginning to think Fishy is right and nothing is on the horizon. It does seem so unfair. I tell myself that life isn't fair.

Fishy thrives in his reprisal of the Archie Bunker role. He's pretty hilarious.

But he knows as much about UConn's realignment fate as the rest of us not named Susie.

I wouldn't lose hope over his pessimism.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Kyle Muncy greenlighted that, he should be shot.

You didn't like The Scarlet Letter?

I prefer Easy A, but that's just because I have a thing for girls in corsets pretending to be in high school.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I see anyone wearing that, I'm going to assume they're a Syracuse fan.
I'm assuming we're under some contractual obligation to carry this merchandise. Being good soldiers in this conference is meaningless.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why some of these hammerheads think I enjoy this.

Come back to me when I'm wrong - I'll be happy to admit it - but I haven't been.

Right now, nothing is happening.
I've always sensed you were not being negative but just taking on a protective role here so people/fans won't get their hopes too high but as you said "would love to be wrong"!! I'm just an old east coast FB guy that senses the opposite view that theres NO WAY an important state school in a foundation block market can be left vacant on FB Saturdays. I'm just very optimistic it will happen fairly soon.

Reaction Score
If CR is over, so be it. I will welcome it. I will go back to watching UCONN be successful. Fans of certain other schools will go back to watching their teams be mediocre. Hopefully they will realize they aren't making any money off of espn's maneuverings.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why some of these hammerheads think I enjoy this.

Come back to me when I'm wrong - I'll be happy to admit it - but I haven't been.

Right now, nothing is happening.
Way to take a stand!! UConn is out of the P5 until its invited. Brilliant!

pj

Reaction Score
I've always sensed you were not being negative but just taking on a protective role here so people/fans won't get their hopes too high but as you said "would love to be wrong"!! I'm just an old east coast FB guy that senses the opposite view that theres NO WAY an important state school in a foundation block market can be left vacant on FB Saturdays. I'm just very optimistic it will happen fairly soon.

I think it will happen too -- sooner or later the conferences will have incentives to add UConn:

Carrot: The northeast is unexploited territory for college sports and UConn is the only public school that plays high level athletics. Its home state would be a top 20 media market nationally, and it has no P5 college team or pro sports team -- a huge hole. In addition to its home state, UConn gets some penetration into NYC and New England. There is a huge entrepreneurial opportunity here. UConn would pay its way in the B1G, perhaps with a higher carriage fee in Connecticut than other B1G states.

If UConn were to gain its own media rights and create a Husky network, it could plausibly get $1 per household per month from 1.4 mn Connecticut households, or $17 million, and with sales of national games in basketball and football for $2 mn each, could get $25 mn for media rights. This puts UConn in the same revenue range as the P5 conferences.

Stick: When you see how terrified the P5 are of antitrust lawsuits from players, you have to think they'd be even more terrified of antitrust lawsuits from their college competitors -- after all, those are their direct competitors and can show clear harm from a P5 cartel. You know these lawsuits are coming, too many schools and conferences are being harmed. UConn's many hundreds of millions of dollars of investments in sports could lose most of their value, and antitrust lawsuits allow treble damages as punitive remedy on top of compensatory damage. A $1 billion award to UConn would be about $15 mn per P5 school, or roughly the present value of $1 mn per year, which happens to be the cost to the ACC of bringing in UConn even if they got no increase at all in conference media revenue from ESPN.

The antitrust threat would be further supported if a Husky network was created successfully, since that would establish that UConn is an equal competitor with the P5 in fan interest and market support. It would give UConn an antitrust position to argue against the exclusion of UConn from competition through restricted regular-season scheduling and/or restricted bowl & playoff access.

The alternative is to make the AAC successful, to the point that there are once again 6 power conferences. Maybe that can happen, maybe it would happen on a level playing field. But the P5 conferences are doing their best to make it impossible.

However: once again antitrust threats might intervene. If the NCAA allows the P5 to have autonomy, it might have to allow an AAC/MWC group autonomy as well. Then we could start a bidding war for players: pay them a stipend of $20k per year, which for 85 football players and 13 basketball players works out to $2 mn per year or the price of a head coach. The AAC/MWC might then get the best players and have the best football. They create an alternative playoff for their semi-pro group. There is a contested/splintered national champion. Loss of top players from the P5 reduces the quality of the games, costing them fans; hardcore fans want to see a true national champion and call for a unified playoff or a new P5 vs MWC/AAC championship game (AFL/NFL like).

The B1G is already claiming they might drop sports rather than become a pro/semi-pro sports league. Many of the P5 schools or conferences may drop out of a cut-throat competition. Not everyone wants to be the SEC, much less a semi-pro development league. There are also Title IX issues and n0n-profit tax status issues.

I'm not actually predicting either of these scenarios. The most likely outcome is for the G5 schools to slink off into oblivion with their tail between their legs, because their presidents etc hope to get jobs in the P5 and don't want to piss anyone off. But both are possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thumb.aspx

They'll be on the "2 fer" rack soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom