Beginning to think the CR party may be dead... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Beginning to think the CR party may be dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well in the 21st century you can follow a team from anywhere. So you can move and still see every game.

If the AAC has a saving grace it's that the games are wallpaper on media properties. You could see every AAC game this season if you were inclined.
Awesome! I made it to the 21st century! And I realize I can follow the team in the media and watch their games on what is that flat hand-held device thingy -not the phone and hey did you know they are WIRELESS??? OMG! I prefer LIVE events and when I move, it is likely that in the future I will support the home team. Sure if/when the Huskies come to play the home team, I will reminisce about the past, but I will have moved on-likely not to the next century as I didn't realize I was in the 21st century - Thanks for updating me and for letting me know 'bout modern Tech-now-low-Gees! However, my peepers do prefer the live atmosphere! And they are wallpaper for now, but when the P5 separate??? Things get interesting and the future, well you know the century so you can tell me!

BTW, this whole post is sarcastic, no offense, I'm just playing!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Awesome! I made it to the 21st century! And I realize I can follow the team in the media and watch their games on what is that flat hand-held device thingy -not the phone and hey did you know they are WIRELESS??? OMG! I prefer LIVE events and when I move, it is likely that in the future I will support the home team. Sure if/when the Huskies come to play the home team, I will reminisce about the past, but I will have moved on-likely not to the next century as I didn't realize I was in the 21st century - Thanks for updating me and for letting me know 'bout modern Tech-now-low-Gees! However, my peepers do prefer the live atmosphere! And they are wallpaper for now, but when the P5 separate??? Things get interesting and the future, well you know the century so you can tell me!

BTW, this whole post is sarcastic, no offense, I'm just playing!

I get that you are being sarcastic but I adopted teams when I moved away. I had season tickets for football for both Duke and NC State. I went to a ton of NC State basketball games. I still cared more about UConn and that was long before it was so easy to stay connected.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why some of these hammerheads think I enjoy this.

Come back to me when I'm wrong - I'll be happy to admit it - but I haven't been.

Right now, nothing is happening.

You're right - who the hell could enjoy this?
(except for the trolls who underwent severe toilet training)

It is generally a commiseration board, with some useful and hopeful tidbits mixed in - which is good.

One thing is for sure - even the most casual UConn fans know of the conference dilemma and recognize the need for change.
Just in case we need to light a fire under anyone's in Storrs, it's good to have the word out.

Reaction Score
They'll be on the "2 fer" rack soon enough.

upload_2014-6-25_10-13-1.png

I call it a patch job!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is Fishy's nest and we are all his eggs. His way of protecting all of us from more pain and sorrowful sack kicks is to smother his baby birds with a cold dose of reality, when it's needed.

In my head, what I typed above sounded more funny than creepy before I put fingertips to motion. I'm pretty sure I deserve a throat punch for this post.

Reaction Score
I think it will happen too -- sooner or later the conferences will have incentives to add UConn:

Carrot: The northeast is unexploited territory for college sports and UConn is the only public school that plays high level athletics. Its home state would be a top 20 media market nationally, and it has no P5 college team or pro sports team -- a huge hole. In addition to its home state, UConn gets some penetration into NYC and New England. There is a huge entrepreneurial opportunity here. UConn would pay its way in the B1G, perhaps with a higher carriage fee in Connecticut than other B1G states.

If UConn were to gain its own media rights and create a Husky network, it could plausibly get $1 per household per month from 1.4 mn Connecticut households, or $17 million, and with sales of national games in basketball and football for $2 mn each, could get $25 mn for media rights. This puts UConn in the same revenue range as the P5 conferences.

Stick: When you see how terrified the P5 are of antitrust lawsuits from players, you have to think they'd be even more terrified of antitrust lawsuits from their college competitors -- after all, those are their direct competitors and can show clear harm from a P5 cartel. You know these lawsuits are coming, too many schools and conferences are being harmed. UConn's many hundreds of millions of dollars of investments in sports could lose most of their value, and antitrust lawsuits allow treble damages as punitive remedy on top of compensatory damage. A $1 billion award to UConn would be about $15 mn per P5 school, or roughly the present value of $1 mn per year, which happens to be the cost to the ACC of bringing in UConn even if they got no increase at all in conference media revenue from ESPN.

The antitrust threat would be further supported if a Husky network was created successfully, since that would establish that UConn is an equal competitor with the P5 in fan interest and market support. It would give UConn an antitrust position to argue against the exclusion of UConn from competition through restricted scheduling and/or bowl/playoff access.

The alternative is to make the AAC successful, to the point that there are once again 6 power conferences. Maybe that can happen, maybe it would happen on a level playing field. But the P5 conferences are doing their best to make it impossible.

However: once again antitrust threats might intervene. If the NCAA allows the P5 to have autonomy, it might have to allow an AAC/MWC group autonomy as well. Then we could start a bidding war for players: pay them a stipend of up to $20k per year. The AAC/MWC might then get the best players and have the best football. They create an alternative playoff for their semi-pro group. There is a contested national champion.

The B1G is already claiming they might have to drop sports if players in the revenue sports are paid; and that a professional sports ethic is unacceptable. Many of the P5 schools or conferences may drop out of a cut-throat competition. Not everyone wants to be the SEC.

I'm not actually predicting either of these scenarios. The most likely outcome is for the G5 schools to slink off into oblivion with their tail between their legs, because their presidents etc hope to get jobs in the P5 and don't want to piss anyone off. But both are possible.
Yeah pj you're right on that point about a blending of 8-12 schools into a 6th P6 BE type conference from the best of the rest AAC/MWC. After the P5 adds UConn,BYU and maybe 1 or 2 others their will still be a few schools willing and interesting enough to create a 6th conference(Boise,UCF,Cinncy and a few I can't think of at the moment).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It isn't over. Just wait until the college football bubble bursts. These bloated conferences will be dumping the weight and new regional ones will reform. With this autonomy and "cost of attendance", costs will continue to rise.

Greed will be the ultimate undoing.

Reaction Score
It's all about cash...
Top endowments:
1. SMU $1.2 billion
2. Tulane $1.0 billion
3. Cincy $1.0 billion
4. Tulsa $801 million

Reaction Score
It's all about cash...
Top endowments:
1. SMU $1.2 billion
2. Tulane $1.0 billion
3. Cincy $1.0 billion
4. Tulsa $801 million
CR isn't dead and we'll end up somewhere else. I am beginning to think ACC might be the better route for athletics. The ACC does get better football recruits. The B1G is definitely the superior route for academics and will likely remain so.

Having schools with that kind of money, still should be fun to see what the AAC can make of itself. Some of the schools have way too much potential to be ignored.

Reaction Score
It isn't over. Just wait until the college football bubble bursts. These bloated conferences will be dumping the weight and new regional ones will reform. With this autonomy and "cost of attendance", costs will continue to rise.

Greed will be the ultimate undoing.

Just like banks and Time Warner/AOL

Reaction Score
Fishy isn't right ...

Somewhere in these media contracts (FOX or ESPN), there is a clause whereby they can renegotiate IF they have material change in the composition of the conference. After slugging along with X number, the ACC/B1G/B12 will see the opportunity to ... once again ... enter the TV rights riding contest. They will take 2 & that will take $20-35 m up to $50 m ... or something per team. This has happened several times. If you could refinance everytime an interest rate drops a half percent on your $multimillion dollar deal, you would. These conferences don't have break fees if they go to the "material change" clause; therefore, they are incentivized to just go for it if it brings marginal dollars in. All 3 named could do this. Then you might see some try to escape the GOR and off we go. ALL HELL breaks out.

pj

Reaction Score
Fishy isn't right ...

Somewhere in these media contracts (FOX or ESPN), there is a clause whereby they can renegotiate IF they have material change in the composition of the conference. After slugging along with X number, the ACC/B1G/B12 will see the opportunity to ... once again ... enter the TV rights riding contest. They will take 2 & that will take $20-35 m up to $50 m ... or something per team. This has happened several times. If you could refinance everytime an interest rate drops a half percent on your $multimillion dollar deal, you would. These conferences don't have break fees if they go to the "material change" clause; therefore, they are incentivized to just go for it if it brings marginal dollars in. All 3 named could do this. Then you might see some try to escape the GOR and off we go. ALL HELL breaks out.

Sports media rights have been in a bubble and the bubble is topping. I don't think there are going to be more raises based on undervalued content.

Reaction Score
Sports media rights have been in a bubble and the bubble is topping. I don't think there are going to be more raises based on undervalued content.

I hear you. But, there doesn't seem to be smaller numbers coming out in the most recent transactions.

Reaction Score
It's all about cash...
Top endowments:
1. SMU $1.2 billion
2. Tulane $1.0 billion
3. Cincy $1.0 billion
4. Tulsa $801 million

Does anyone here know exactly what UCONN's latest endowment total number is? If I recall correctly, it was something like just under $400 million. It has increased from the prior $300 million (before this latest round of fundraising).

If I'm correct and the amount is $400 million and not higher, it really shows how we have a very significant amount of work to do to join our AAC brethren. Damn, Tulsa has $800 million!? Tulsa? Wow, thats really suprising to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone here know exactly what UCOON's latest endowment total number is? If I recall correctly, it was something like just under $400 million. It has increased from the prior $300 million (before this latest round of fundraising).

If I'm correct and the amount is $400 million and not higher, it really shows how we have a very significant amount of work to do to join our AAC brethren. Damn, Tulsa has $800 million!? Tulsa? Wow, thats really suprising to me.
As of June 2012, $357 million. My guess is it has to be above $400 million now. When Herbst started, it was around $311 million.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As of June 2012, $357 million. My guess is it has to be above $400 million now. When Herbst started, it was around $311 million.

If they don't have it much hugher than $400 million they should fire whoever is managing it.

The S&P is up almost exactly 50% from 6/1/12.

Reaction Score
It's all about cash...
Top endowments:
1. SMU $1.2 billion
2. Tulane $1.0 billion
3. Cincy $1.0 billion
4. Tulsa $801 million

I struggle mightily to imagine what financial endowments have to do with college sports. For small to medium size privates, endowments defray tuition costs, and if schools aren't using endowments to keep tuition down, they might as well just put a gun to their heads. For top publics, the endowments are not large enough to make a big difference in tuition since they typically have 5x as many students as the small-to-mid privates. Either way, if you're not putting your endowments toward tuition, you have to wonder if these people know anything about anything.

Reaction Score
Those schools have billion dollar endowments, we have the state of Connecticut behind us.

The endowment isn't all that relevant. It's important long term, but it isn't important for sports.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Those schools have billion dollar endowments, we have the state of Connecticut behind us.

The endowment isn't all that relevant. It's important long term, but it isn't important for sports.

This is an excellent point. Where UCONN falls short in the endowment race, it makes up for it with overwhelming support from the state of CT. BILLIONS of dollars have been poured into the school in the past 10-15 years. Hopefully, in a few years, UCONN's endowment will be a lot closer to $1B than it is right now.

Reaction Score

I don't know for certain why it is so important for sports. I'm sure it has something to do with the financial strength of the institution. Saying we have the state of Connecticut behind us doesn't exactly give me a great amount of comfort. It's tough doing business in CT! Cincy would have the upper hand there with the state of Ohio behind it. I can't believe in-state tuition is now $25K! This is not your father's university, which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom