Before You Even Think of Giving Up on Natalie... | The Boneyard

Before You Even Think of Giving Up on Natalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have two words for you... Stefanie and Gabby.

Natalie's 'impressive' freshman year stats at Georgetown just serve to emphasize the vast difference between playing for UConn and playing anywhere else. The demands, expectations and competition at UConn are unique, and the proof is in all the National Championships.

When I first saw Stefanie play, I couldn't believe her lack of conditioning. She could barely run, getting from one end of the court to the other measured with a sundial. She was big and soft, lacking strength and aggressiveness. If she was going to be our 'big girl' for the next 4 years- yikes, we're in trouble, I thought. But Stef worked incredibly hard to change all that, improving her skill sets and her body strength and conditioning. And though it took a while, because of her tremendous desire and work ethic she eventually became a National Champion and an all-time Husky great (for me, at least.)

Gabby came with the rep as a great athlete, but having missed almost 2 years with knee surgeries, she arrived at UConn to lots of hopeful fanfare. She didn't live up to all the hype her freshman year. Many were disappointed and bemoaned all her 'limitations.' And just like Stef, Gabby worked really hard on her game, and her freshman shortcomings are now among her many strengths- mid-range jumper, foul shooting, hard-nosed defense, successfully adjusting to her new demands of the frontcourt. She is a Husky favorite and well on her way to becoming great (for me, at least.)

Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa are the best coaches in the game, but a player MUST have that spark, that desire to become the best they can be, inside of them. If it isn't within them to do whatever is required to become their best, well, even the greatest coach can't instill that trait.

Natalie has a long way to go, but if she is willing to work as hard as Stefanie and Gabby did, there is no reason to believe she won't achieve great things here, too. She is not expected to be another Stewie (or Stef), but if she can become just a little stronger, a little quicker, a little tougher and a little more confident, she can become an important part of the team moving forward. The only question is if she is willing to do the work.
I'm betting that she is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do.
Stef was 'heavily recruited' because there are very few large, 6'5" high school kids around (with good feet and passing skills.) But there is no question that she was a definite project who improved and succeeded only because she worked so damn hard for it.

Gabby competed for a spot on an Olympic team, not on a basketball team, but as a high jumper. Many top athletes fail to develop into top basketball players- big difference. And forced to convert from backcourt to frontcourt, going from high school to the highest level of college ball, after not playing for two years- that's one helluva challenge.

That very same incredible commitment to hard work that enabled Stef and Gabby to improve is exactly the same commitment required by Natalie, if she wants to be successful at UConn. I completely disagree with you- the comparison of the three in terms of the singularly impressive efforts put forth (and needed to be put forth in Natalie's case) to become top UConn basketball players is rather obvious.

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It's amazing all this evaluation of a player that averages 14.7 minutes per game and has played in only 13 of 23 games after sitting out for over a year, especially when no one on this Board see's what she does every day in practice. If the staff didn't believe she could play she wouldn't be on the team, would she?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gabby was competing for a spot on an Olympic team, and Dolson was heavily recruited by the top programs in WCBB. I don't think you can compare Butler to Gabby and Dolson.
As a high school player, Natalie drew interest from Baylor, Virginia Tech, St. John's, Northwestern, and Boston College, all Power 5 conference teams. When she transferred from Georgetown, her choice was between Virginia and UConn.

Reaction Score
I have seen soccer players breaking stairs to increase their speed. They claim it works.

1. Does it really work?
2. I have never seen basketball players doing it. Do they (particularly UCONN players) practise this?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People are seeing hesitation and calling it slowness. Natalie just needs to work Geno's system without thinking about it. Stef wasn't exactly a speed demon but she was decisive and that made all the difference in the world.

Reaction Score
I have seen soccer players breaking stairs to increase their speed. They claim it works.

1. Does it really work?
2. I have never seen basketball players doing it. Do they (particularly UCONN players) practise this?

"breaking stairs"? huh?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's amazing all this evaluation of a player that averages 14.7 minutes per game and has played in only 13 of 23 games after sitting out for over a year, especially when no one on this Board see's what she does every day in practice. If the staff didn't believe she could play she wouldn't be on the team, would she?
Yes and no. Courtney Ekmark is a perfect example - the kid works her butt off but is simply not athletic, tall, nor skilled enough to break into the rotation for anything other than "reserve player" minutes at the end of blow outs. I will admit I'm disappointed Natalie is not getting into games and having a more meaningful impact. I can see not putting her in for the SC game - the #2 team in the nation, blah blah, but she's hardly getting any scratch even against other teams. To a degree I get Temple as they are a small and quick team, but the game vs. ECU where she had butter hands, was at least a full step slow, turnover prone, and seemed somewhat lost on the court does not bode well for her.

To my completely untrained eyes, and as a total couch potato, it seems like she's regressed since earlier in the year, not improved, and for that, I have absolutely no explanation. She's had over a year to get acclimated to UCONN - she worked hard on getting into shape. By all reports, she works very hard in practice. But lately, she's more than just a non factor - she's a non-contributor to the team when she's on the court. In fairness, if you look at Collier, she's barely earning more minutes than Natalie, and maybe both have hit the freshman wall...

I can see people wanting to compare her to freshman Stef, but this is her 3rd year in college. She spent her first year putting up great numbers at Georgetown. She's had a whole season to acclimate herself to UCONN. Just like people have been critical of Diamond at Tennessee - when you have an entire season watching games on the bench, sure you don't develop quite as much, but you get to practice every single day with the team. I hope she can become a solid contributor. The team will surely need her next year...

HGN

Reaction Score
I have two words for you... Stefanie and Gabby.

Natalie's 'impressive' freshman year stats at Georgetown just serve to emphasize the vast difference between playing for UConn and playing anywhere else. The demands, expectations and competition at UConn are unique, and the proof is in all the National Championships.

When I first saw Stefanie play, I couldn't believe her lack of conditioning. She could barely run, getting from one end of the court to the other measured with a sundial. She was big and soft, lacking strength and aggressiveness. If she was going to be our 'big girl' for the next 4 years- yikes, we're in trouble, I thought. But Stef worked incredibly hard to change all that, improving her skill sets and her body strength and conditioning. And though it took a while, because of her tremendous desire and work ethic she eventually became a National Champion and an all-time Husky great (for me, at least.)

Gabby came with the rep as a great athlete, but having missed almost 2 years with knee surgeries, she arrived at UConn to lots of hopeful fanfare. She didn't live up to all the hype her freshman year. Many were disappointed and bemoaned all her 'limitations.' And just like Stef, Gabby worked really hard on her game, and her freshman shortcomings are now among her many strengths- mid-range jumper, foul shooting, hard-nosed defense, successfully adjusting to her new demands of the frontcourt. She is a Husky favorite and well on her way to becoming great (for me, at least.)

Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa are the best coaches in the game, but a player MUST have that spark, that desire to become the best they can be, inside of them. If it isn't within them to do whatever is required to become their best, well, even the greatest coach can't instill that trait.

Natalie has a long way to go, but if she is willing to work as hard as Stefanie and Gabby did, there is no reason to believe she won't achieve great things here, too. She is not expected to be another Stewie (or Stef), but if she can become just a little stronger, a little quicker, a little tougher and a little more confident, she can become an important part of the team moving forward. The only question is if she is willing to do the work.
I'm betting that she is.
Relax Rule....... We all may be a little impatient every now and then. But we're smart enough to know when we have something good. And having Natalie around Storrs is definitely a Good thing. If Natalie can give us some size in the middle , a little defense , 6 to 10pts a night , she's good. I don't believe Geno will be asking her for a lot of offense but just don't give the other team much offense either in the middle either.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno made an interesting lineup move when he brought in Big Nat to join LouConn and Stewie. Now that's a big lineup! Especially against an undersized team. However, while Big Nat was clogging the middle on defense, Stewie could roam around doing her thing. That worked out well.

Reaction Score
Natalie did not practice with the UCONN team last year, she practiced against it. There is a big difference. She is learning the system this year, albeit not as fast as we armchair experts want. The UCONN pace is faster than Georgetown, SC, and many other teams. She has to adjust and get better. But deciding now on how high her ceiling can be is ridiculous, especially for our BY experts. For sure we will be better next year having her than not so let's don't spend a lot of ink proclaiming what she can't become.

Reaction Score
One of the things that Natalie will learn is to anticipate what the other team is doing and be in better spots ahead of time.She will only get better at this with lots of court time,and next year we will see her whipsaw the learning curve into submission.I notice that now when she is deep under the basket,opposing guards drive all the way beyond the foul line and still shoot over her without any fear of getting their shot blocked . At some point next year she will already be in better positions to thwart any hoopward plans by opposing guards.Her progression is why i think next year,s team can make the final four again.

Reaction Score
I would say in both Butler and Collier's case, it's not that easy to play your best when you don't know when/if you're going to get in and especially when you don't know if your going to be in for 6 minutes or one minute. Some kids handle it better than others, but for some it's tough to find a rhythm and play through making a mistake or two. I'd guess next year when Geno needs them to play more they'll both look a lot better.

Reaction Score
How about letting her complete a full summer of practicing and getting into shape without injury before judging her. In particular catching the ball may still be hard for her after removal of the bandages for her hand injury.

Reaction Score
How about letting her complete a full summer of practicing and getting into shape without injury before judging her. In particular catching the ball may still be hard for her after removal of the bandages for her hand injury.
Or just keeping your judgements to yourself. They have the coaching staff to act as their judges.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno made an interesting lineup move when he brought in Big Nat to join LouConn and Stewie. Now that's a big lineup! Especially against an undersized team. However, while Big Nat was clogging the middle on defense, Stewie could roam around doing her thing. That worked out well.
I saw the game and think Stewie, KLS and Butler the trio does create a big defense and stop Temple's score to only 10 pts in 4Q.

Reaction Score
IMO, Butler will be very productive over the next couple of years. Her shot is very, very good from 12-15 feet and her technique on defense is sound. She will just get better , particularly as her confidence grows. Consider this : on a per forty minute basis Butlers scoring is about the same as Steph's freshman year and her rebounding is materially better than Steph's. One of my concerns were the "fumble finger" issues but her assist to turnover ratio is exactly the same as Steph's freshman year at .8. Steph went on to to become much better with the ball by her senior year and enjoyed a 1.3 A/T..
Patience is a good thing.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Centers take more time to develop,than other players,from what I have observed.I would say it is especially true at Connecticut,because expectations of what is being the final product in a center by the coaching staff is higher than most teams in the college landscape.When we look back at some of the girls who would become outstanding at the center position at Connecticut, many had struggled to reach the goals that the coaching staff had set for them.We bring up Dolson, as an example,but there are others.
Remember Tina struggled under coach's expectations,and didn't really start to show her best until starting her junior year. Lobo has related how hard it was,at times,under coach's direction.I am sure there was more past girls,playing the position,that would add their frustrations and struggles,that they had to go through.
Butler is a worker,and it seems,that usually by the junior year,things start to click.Next year,she should be much improved,physically,mentally,and stamina wise.
We have to remember,also,that Natalie is still going thru the rustiness of not playing over a year.We could all be surprised by tournament time,and beyond.

Reaction Score

1. Does it really work?
Huh?

Reaction Score
Relax Rule.. We all may be a little impatient every now and then. But we're smart enough to know when we have something good. And having Natalie around Storrs is definitely a Good thing. If Natalie can give us some size in the middle , a little defense , 6 to 10pts a night , she's good. I don't believe Geno will be asking her for a lot of offense but just don't give the other team much offense either in the middle either.

I'm chill, HGN. ;) I didn't realize I was coming across as impatient. I was inartfully suggesting that if a kid (with some level of talent) is willing to work her butt off then virtually anything is possible to achieve. To wit: Steffie and Gabby, where combined with a great work ethic, patience is a virtue well rewarded.

Reaction Score
There was one play against Temple where Lou and Butler executed the high-low beautifully, promise of things to come.

It's really kind of funny... the one thing I expected to see from Lou, an incredibly accurate 3-point shot with limitless range, hasn't yet consistently materialized.

Other elements of Lou's game that I was not prepared to see- excellent passing skills, effective driving to the basket, solid ball-handling skills, a very nice mid-range jumper, and pretty good defense- well, they are definitely there! When Lou gets her 3-point shooting straightened out- LOOK OUT!

Reaction Score
I agree with you here on Samuelson. She is starting to put in a different piece almost every game now. With the 3 dominant players still there, she can't in her own mind, make this her team yet. And it won't be a conscious thing when she does either. Probably starting next season she'll just feel it and start playing free and loose without second thoughts and then people will see what she's got and what Auriemma envisioned when recruiting her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom