Beer | Page 103 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Im at the Alchemist frequently. have always had it directly from the can - no issues at all. But been drinking all their stuff recently out of a proper glass - deeeelish no matter how you drink it. I will say this. If you go to their facebook page, whenever there is a new special release, they do a video clip on the beer. They always pour it in a proper glass on the video. I think the "drink out of the can" thing started so you would not see how cloudy it is - just a guess.

It's either the turbidity as you suggest or the fact that back then, shaker pink glasses were all anyone used. Now they keep it for nostalgia I think.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Haven't tried it yet but I have a 4pack in my fridge right now. Waiting to break it open for Christmas Eve

It certainly isn't "much" better. But it's as good, and a little lower abv, so easier to drink casually. People tend to like one slightly more than the other.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
do you recall which store? I'm on the huntdown for it.
No sure it gets down this far south John

This is from their website:
What states are your beers sold in?
We currently sell Gritty’s in Maine (obviously), Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and in upper New York state. You might also be able to find our fine ales in Philadelphia and in New Jersey. We sell very small quantities there on a limited basis. We do not have plans to expand to the west coast, Florida, the Washington DC metro area or anywhere else for that matter. We know our beer is best and freshest if we keep it close to the mother ship in Maine.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No sure it gets down this far south John

This is from their website:
What states are your beers sold in?
We currently sell Gritty’s in Maine (obviously), Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and in upper New York state. You might also be able to find our fine ales in Philadelphia and in New Jersey. We sell very small quantities there on a limited basis. We do not have plans to expand to the west coast, Florida, the Washington DC metro area or anywhere else for that matter. We know our beer is best and freshest if we keep it close to the mother ship in Maine.

It's scarce as hell even in MA now. I think it's been bumped by better products. It's not bad, just ordinary.

Reaction Score
It's either the turbidity as you suggest or the fact that back then, shaker pink glasses were all anyone used. Now they keep it for nostalgia I think.

Cans are in. Some claim they're nearly 100% lower carbon footprint than glass - in the US where we don't recycle as well as other countries. Cans used to carry the stigma of low quality but that's changed in the last few years in the US. Not so much in other counties yet but it will come. Furthermore,pouring into a glass is more palletable on the tongue without the, sometimes, heavy carbonation sips that you don't taste the beer, only bubbles. Craft brewers want you to have the best experience so they will always push a proper pour and proper temp. Pouring also lets out some of that carbonation that will otherwise fuel the Dutch oven. Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Cans are in. Some claim they're nearly 100% lower carbon footprint than glass - in the US where we don't recycle as well as other countries. Cans used to carry the stigma of low quality but that's changed in the last few years in the US. Not so much in other counties yet but it will come. Furthermore,pouring into a glass is more palletable on the tongue without the, sometimes, heavy carbonation sips that you don't taste the beer, only bubbles. Craft brewers want you to have the best experience so they will always push a proper pour and proper temp. Pouring also lets out some of that carbonation that will otherwise fuel the Dutch oven. Happy wife, happy life.

Yeah, I'm on board with cans and have been for years. The Alchemist was ahead of its time, and Heady Topper probably drove acceptance of cans. But Kimmich is full of crap saying his beers are better being drunk straight from the can.

Reaction Score
It's the beer zombie apocalypse at Tree House this morning.
TH1221a.jpg

Reaction Score
Anyone had Trailblazer from Pioneer? Thinking about lining up for some tomorrow.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My fiancè's aunt and uncle are staying with us through tomorrow through Tuesday (yay?). He likes beer but recently discovered a gluten allergy. Are there other offerings than Omission and Woodbridge? I'm about to go to Total Wine and I think they have a GF section but as with most things in life I have to consult you idiots first.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My fiancè's aunt and uncle are staying with us through tomorrow through Tuesday (yay?). He likes beer but recently discovered a gluten allergy. Are there other offerings than Omission and Woodbridge? I'm about to go to Total Wine and I think they have a GF section but as with most things in life I have to consult you idiots first.

I don't buy it but there are now many gluten free beers in my local shop. The other consideration is hard ciders.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stone Delicious IPA is "virtually"" gluten free (i.e., it contains trace amounts, but below measurable thresholds) and it tastes good, so that might be a good option if he's not dangerously Celiac (people often confuse sensitivities with allergies so it is tough to tell). Alchemist makes one that is supposed to be very good, but like the rest of their products you can't them in CT.

I do not have a gluten allergy but beer hasn't sat well with me for a while; and I have another friend with a similar issue. Although we both liked Stone Delicious, we've both kind of lost our intense desire for beers and have shifted almost entirely to hard ciders as a substitute (still drinking wine and booze, t00). Can't say enough about the cider explosion in the last few years. I'd try a few of those; you may even find that you like them yourself. They run the full spectrum from dry to sweet, and all points in between. Lots of hoppy ones; traditional ones made with ale yeast; Normandy style made with Champagne yeast; and Belgian styles made with Belgian yeast. Pairs well with food, too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dove's Christmas Eve Beer Selection at the Family BAsh:

Captain's Daughter
Gray Sails Leaning Chimney
Oskar Blues Death By Coconut
Sweet Baby Jesus by Duclaw (if I can find)
Misc. leftovers from summer...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Feel free to join me and the millions of Tequila aficionados anonymous

Had an amazing tequila at a party two weeks ago. Calivados? Reposada. It's George Clonney's tequila company. Stuff smelled like French vanilla ice cream with agave syrup.

If whisky keeps going nuts, aged rum and tequila will see more people moving to it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Dove's Christmas Eve Beer Selection at the Family BAsh:

Captain's Daughter
Gray Sails Leaning Chimney
Oskar Blues Death By Coconut
Sweet Baby Jesus by Duclaw (if I can find)
Misc. leftovers from summer...

I did a Bourbon County Stout vertical tasting last Friday (2013-16). All were good, but fresh was best. As a result, I'm popping a 2016 Bourbon County Barleywine on Christmas Eve, plus a few Trilliums during the Patriots game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had an amazing tequila at a party two weeks ago. Calivados? Reposada. It's George Clonney's tequila company. Stuff smelled like French vanilla ice cream with agave syrup.

If whisky keeps going nuts, aged rum and tequila will see more people moving to it.
Buddy of mine was just raving about Clooney's tequila yesterday. I am a Herradura Anejo guy but he urged me to try it. I will have to look for it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Buddy of mine was just raving about Clooney's tequila yesterday. I am a Herradura Anejo guy but he urged me to try it. I will have to look for it.

Better for sipping worse for cocktails is how I would describe it in a nutshell. It's $50.

Reaction Score
I went to college in New Mexico and quickly found a love for green chile and Tequila.

A must try is Clase Azul Resposado. You can find it for a little under $100. It is probably my favorite sipping tequila. Don Julio 1942 is always going to be rotation for me. I won't drink it again until my child is born in five weeks or less.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Another reason why I'm switching to bourbon and Scotch. Tired of this rat race (I know whiskey has its own version).

Its alot the people in line that are the killers too. Frickin hipster nuts. Im over chasing. Some good stuff falls in my lap fine.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Its alot the people in line that are the killers too. Frickin hipster nuts. Im over chasing. Some good stuff falls in my lap fine.

Yep. Because I can get to Trillium in 20 minutes, I never run dry of good stuff really. From our house in Vermont, I'll still take trips to Foley Brothers (and the new Lawson's brewery when it opens) and maybe up to Alchemist. But standing in line or looking for limited release stuff...I'm out of that game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep. Because I can get to Trillium in 20 minutes, I never run dry of good stuff really. From our house in Vermont, I'll still take trips to Foley Brothers (and the new Lawson's brewery when it opens) and maybe up to Alchemist. But standing in line or looking for limited release stuff...I'm out of that game.
I noticed that Foley Brothers is available in CT now. Saw a couple different bombers of Imperial IPAs from them in one of my local places last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom