Beer | Page 95 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
A guy I was in line with at NEBCo came to the Fuzzy Baby Ducks release all the way from Chicago! At least you don't have to hop on a plane lol.
Funny, a friend of mine who always goes to Treehouse was in line one day for one of their limited releases was behind 2 guys who drove from Chicago for the release. We both said they must be nuts. Wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to trade or buy the stuff on Craigslist than drive 1,000 miles?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I was in Amsterdam this summer, and on a canal cruise they offered us beer. The only option was Heineken, so I was upset. Then I cracked one open and realized the crap I'd tasted all these years.

Heineken over there is insanely good

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Funny, a friend of mine who always goes to Treehouse was in line one day for one of their limited releases was behind 2 guys who drove from Chicago for the release. We both said they must be nuts. Wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to trade or buy the stuff on Craigslist than drive 1,000 miles?

Beercations are a thing. I'm on Beer Advocate and participate in the New England forum and we are asked for advice on scoping various vacations a few times every week it seems. Often these guys drive from Chicago, hit Treehouse, Trillium, go stay in Boston for a night, drive to Portland ME and hit more places, then head to Vermont and load up on Alchemist, HF, and other stuff, usually staying in Waterbury and hitting the pubs there. My cousin in Missouri is now retired and she and her husband have done 3 beercations so far, to Oregon, up to Iowa, Illinois Michigan and Wisconsin, and over to PA, MD, DE area.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In 2 years, I have successfully moved my wife from Yuengling, Coors Lite and Rolling Rock to Broad Brook Pink Dragon Wit and Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian....a Beercation sounds like my next step.

My wife loves IPAs. While I can't really get her to go all in on a beercation, she's fine to make small diversions, like trips to Foley Brothers in VT, stops at Worthy Burger in VT or Prohibition Pig, dinner at a pub owned by Galway Bay Brewing while in Galway, Ireland, that kind of thing. While in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago, we spent some time at the best beer bar in town and walked to a new local brewery (Urban South). Beer is best as part of a larger experience in IMHO.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yeah, but I live 20 minutes from Trillium and work 50 minutes from Treehouse. Plus I have a house in Vermont. So it's just not worth it. Picked up Singlecut Softly Spoken Magic Spells today....love that beer.

Dogs and Boats is good, but I prefer Hobbit Juice. Had it and Dogs and Capsized Boats at Beervana.

Softly Spoken - i would put that up against ANYTHING - ridiculously good.

Reaction Score
In 2 years, I have successfully moved my wife from Yuengling, Coors Lite and Rolling Rock to Broad Brook Pink Dragon Wit and Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian....a Beercation sounds like my next step.
Funny, i never thought of Yuengling as a gateway beer to anything but becoming a wine drinker

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just got back from Trillium. Stopped on the way home from a Dr. Appt. Got DDH A Street, Mettle, and Nelson Sauvain Fort Point.

As for the genera concept of beer travelers...Trillium I saw two cars with Pennsylvania plates in the parking lot. One guy was loading up 3.5 cases of cans in a Tahoe as I walked in. 4 packs fit six to a case. Prices range from $15 to $22. Most are $17 or $20. So by my math, that's close to $400 in beer.

Reaction Score
I've heard that Sluggy Buggy Oatmeal Stout--brewed right in Rocky Hill--is very good. I'm going to pick up a growler tomorrow!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just bought Maine Beer Company's Peeper Ale. Looking forward to trying it.

I wish I lived closer to Trillium, it's about 2 hours and change for me, which isnt too bad.

Have you guys seen the blind taste article of Single IPAs from Paste Magazine? They rank Melcher Street and Jjjulius in the top 4.
247 of the Best American IPAs, Blind-Tasted and Ranked

It's a decent list. I haven't had Jjjulius, but regular Julius is amazing. Treehouse Green is at #12. Notice there are two from Grimm here for those of you close to NY. I can't get the IPAs here. Focal Banger is deserving. Another One and Lunch are both great (and Peeper is really good, but I like MO better).

Melcher Street has been my favorite Trillium "street" beer, but that's just a hop preference for Moasic over the Galaxy in Congress, the Simcoe in Summer, Nelson Sauvin in Stllings St. and El Dorado in Sleeper. Very cool how they focus on one hop with the same malt bill for all of those street beers. I got "A Street" today...Amarillo hops. I'm thinking it may unseat Melcher as my favorite.

Reaction Score
I just bought Maine Beer Company's Peeper Ale. Looking forward to trying it.

I wish I lived closer to Trillium, it's about 2 hours and change for me, which isnt too bad.

Have you guys seen the blind taste article of Single IPAs from Paste Magazine? They rank Melcher Street and Jjjulius in the top 4.
247 of the Best American IPAs, Blind-Tasted and Ranked
Nice list. Very Hazy from Treehouse probably wasn't available yet when they did this list. Friends who I trust on this stuff, who have had everything from Treehouse, Trillium, Alchemist, etc., say Very Hazy is the best IPA they've ever had.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nice list. Very Hazy from Treehouse probably wasn't available yet when they did this list. Friends who I trust on this stuff, who have had everything from Treehouse, Trillium, Alchemist, etc., say Very Hazy is the best IPA they've ever had.

They only had what Treehouse sent them (and Trillium for that matter). So just the two beers, both of which were top 15. I'm sure Haze or regular Julius, let alone Very Hazy and King Julius, would have ranked highly. So I wouldn't read this as more than a general list of who is making outstanding IPAs. TH, Trillium, Alchemist, Grimm...

Reaction Score
They only had what Treehouse sent them (and Trillium for that matter). So just the two beers, both of which were top 15. I'm sure Haze or regular Julius, let alone Very Hazy and King Julius, would have ranked highly. So I wouldn't read this as more than a general list of who is making outstanding IPAs. TH, Trillium, Alchemist, Grimm...
They also didn't rank any DIPAs, only single IPAs for the taste test.

By the way Treehouse tweeted that for maximum freshness out of an unopened growler, beer should be drank within one week, week 1/2 tops. I tend to finish both my fuzzy baby duck growlers by the end of the UConn football game tomorrow. At least It'll be a productive 4 hours...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

By the way Treehouse tweeted that for maximum freshness out of an unopened growler, beer should be drank within one week, week 1/2 tops. I tend to finish both my fuzzy baby duck growlers by the end of the UConn football game tomorrow. At least It'll be a productive 4 hours...
I have a ton of growlers and "growlitos," but by far the best is the stainless steel one I got from the Alchemist. I've probably mentioned it here before, but I've had FBD keep perfectly fine in it for at least three weeks, unopened of course:

growler_01-400x532.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I filled two growlers of FBD back on the weekend of the 4th. Drank one of the growlers the same day I filled it with my buddies and it was amazing. Opened the 2nd growler 4 days later and it was ok, but was not nearly the same. Then I finished it off a few days later, a full week after it had been filled, and it wasn't very good at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I filled two growlers of FBD back on the weekend of the 4th. Drank one of the growlers the same day I filled it with my buddies and it was amazing. Opened the 2nd growler 4 days later and it was ok, but was not nearly the same. Then I finished it off a few days later, a full week after it had been filled, and it wasn't very good at all.
Never, ever, expect an opened growler to last any longer than the day on which you open it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Never, ever, expect an opened growler to last any longer than the day on which you open it.

Yeah I know. One of my friends couldn't make it to the party where we drank the first growler, so I told him I'd save some for when he was coming to see me on Saturday, even though I knew it wouldn't be great. I was a little surprised, though, that the 2nd growler couldn't even maintain maximum freshness for four days before I opened it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom