UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Amazing!!
image.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My first sip had a slight hint of Band-Aid.
Yeah...it was okay. I didn't get it. Had to ask the barkeep if she did the right tap.

Reaction Score
How long did you wait, and how many? Tree House is getting tougher and tougher. Yesterday they had Eureka and Sap, 8 can limit of each. The Eureka kicked late yesterday, but a new canning run put up 450 cases of Juice Machine. The remaining Sap kicked early today, so according to their Twitter feed, at 5:00 on a cold Wednesday night you could stand in line outdoors with the other 200 beer geeks for 35-40 minutes for 6 cans of beer. Ouch.

I've got one Sip of Sunshine and one Tree House Green in the frig for New Years. Hoping next week the holiday crazies calm down at Tree House.

BTW, how did the Juice Machine taste? Sounds incredible.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
How long did you wait, and how many? Tree House is getting tougher and tougher. Yesterday they had Eureka and Sap, 8 can limit of each. The Eureka kicked late yesterday, but a new canning run put up 450 cases of Juice Machine. The remaining Sap kicked early today, so according to their Twitter feed, at 5:00 on a cold Wednesday night you could stand in line outdoors with the other 200 beer geeks for 35-40 minutes for 6 cans of beer. Ouch.

I've got one Sip of Sunshine and one Tree House Green in the frig for New Years. Hoping next week the holiday crazies calm down at Tree House.

BTW, how did the Juice Machine taste? Sounds incredible.

I got there around 2:15 and waited only about 20 minutes got 6 sap and 6 juice machine. The juice machine is probably my new favorite beer it's a combo between King julius and very green so pretty much a juice bomb hybrid.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Extreme Pint brewfest at Infinity Hartford on Sunday January 17, featuring NEBCO, Kent Falls and Lawson's, among others, followed by a Lettuce show (great band):

http://www.extremepint.com/

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Got a four-pack of the new G-Bot last nightnight, still very good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Extreme Pint brewfest at Infinity Hartford on Sunday January 17, featuring NEBCO, Kent Falls and Lawson's, among others, followed by a Lettuce show (great band):

http://www.extremepint.com/

Do you know what we get for our $46.? A glass and just 1 drink ticket? That's sounds a bit steep.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you know what we get for our $46.? A glass and just 1 drink ticket? That's sounds a bit steep.
I think you get a laminate too!

It does sound a bit steep. I've never attended their other event (Rising Pint), but I've attended lots of other beer festivals over the past 25 years or so and usually you get around three tickets and your sampling glass with admission, and then you buy additional tickets at a fairly reasonable price. Most of the pourers at these events (usually brewery/distributor workers and their friends) are pretty generous with the pours and lax on collecting the drink tickets. But the more expensive ones are usually charity events, and I don't mind paying a little more for that. This looks like it's a "part of the proceeds" thing instead of a genuine benefit, so I agree that it's pretty rich with only one drink ticket included.

I love how the "package" deal for the show and the beer fest is the same exact price as the total of their individual prices. Such a deal!

All that said, I'll probably be there for part of the beer fest one way or another, and definitely planning on the show.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hmm, the few beer fests I've been to have included all drinks with the price of admission. Food and other concessions cost extra money, but you could walk around and drink as much beer as you wanted. At least while that's still the standard around here, I'll never go to one where beer isn't included.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Last beer fest I went to (hop jam) was pricey to get in and each little cup of beer had a big line and a very high cost/oz. Anything above an 8 abv would be full price for half of a cup, that's less than 6oz. for $4 . The better beers were very hard to even get a cup of. That beer fest made going to treehouse seem like a bargain both for cost and time.

Reaction Score
Spent a glorious afternoon with friends at Shebeen and Firefly. A friend picked up some brews to to take home from Shebeen, including some Pioneer Brewing New Frontier IIPA.

She's texting me now after opening it up telling me its better than SOS. Anyone tried this brew??? I've got a few cans sitting in my fridge,

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
"With an explosion in growth in the craft beer industry over the last decade, it's not enough to simply have a passion for brewing and beer when it comes to starting a brewery or working for one as the industry gets more competitive.

Recognizing that, some universities are now offering programs on the business of craft beer.

In the last decade, the number of craft breweries has grown to more than 4,000 in the U.S. today, from more than 1,400 in 2005, according to the Brewers Association.

A lot of breweries started out five or 10 years ago with a focus on beer, said Gregory Dunkling, director of the University of Vermont's new online business of craft beer certificate program, which starts in February. Back then, a home brewer may have been able to create some great recipes but didn't have the business acumen so along the way hired staff to cover marketing, sales, the business operation, he said. It's harder to pull that off today.

As the industry has grown and become more competitive, the bar has been raised for those starting a brewery or working for one, said Bart Watson, chief economist with the Brewers Association."

I think it would be very cool to see something like this added to the UConn-Hartford campus. Something like this would make it unique and adds to the "destination" campus idea that I think the state eventually wants UConn-Hartford to become.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-beer-college-20160104-story.html

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily classify it as craft beer but ~35 years ago when I was an undergrad I earned a degree (although they didn't actually hand one out) in beer drinking.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily classify it as craft beer but ~35 years ago when I was an undergrad I earned a degree (although they didn't actually hand one out) in beer drinking.

its a craft that you partook in related to beer. Seems like it would count to me

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
An IT guy who works with me got a degree from Auburn in brewing. Graduated over the summer.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the ideal major for the frat brothers at Tappa Kegga Day.

Reaction Score
Attention IPA lovers....

Firefly just released Strange Quark IPA today. Simply amazing. I shall cut and paste from their website as words fail me at a time like this:

Blissfully saturated with hops. Cloudy, and explosively flavorful. Flavors of ruby red grapefruit, lemon-lime, mango, and tropical fruits crescendo into a moving bitterness. Finish is grapefruit pith and tangerine with a hint of toasty malt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Attention IPA lovers....

Firefly just released Strange Quark IPA today. Simply amazing. I shall cut and paste from their website as words fail me at a time like this:

Blissfully saturated with hops. Cloudy, and explosively flavorful. Flavors of ruby red grapefruit, lemon-lime, mango, and tropical fruits crescendo into a moving bitterness. Finish is grapefruit pith and tangerine with a hint of toasty malt.
Sounds great. I'll keep an eye out for it down here. Their Up Quark is the best IPA I've had from them to date, and this sounds even better.

I'm staying local for the mojo tonight, too. Gandhi-Bot and Sip Of Sunshine for me.

Reaction Score
Checked out the new Parrott Delaney Tavern in New Hartford last night. Cool vibe. Large. Some good apps...They're attached to the Ovation Guitar factory. Had live music.

They had tapped G-Bot the night before but were out of it....I finally tried grapefruit sculpin. It lived up to the hype.

http://www.parrottdelaneytavern.com/

Reaction Score
Had 4 beers tonight (2 were 5 ozs, so I'm of sound mind):

1. Maine Beer Lunch: 2nd time I've had it, wanted to confirm my first impression, it doesn't live up to the hype
2. Maine Beer III: A Black Ale, but it's more dark than thick; very hoppy, some sweetness. Liked it more than Lunch
3. Almanac Sour Stout: In Woodford Preserve Casks, it was surprisingly, um, good, and mostly interesting. Aftertaste definitely of bourbon. Most bourbon-y beer I've ever tasted. The sour ale together with sweetness of the stout was interesting too. Overall effect was of wine. I was so confused I didn't know what to think but I liked it.
4. Unibroue La Resolution Strong Ale very much my kinda beer. A+

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Attention IPA lovers....
Firefly just released Strange Quark IPA today. Simply amazing.

So I stopped by last Friday to get a growler fill. No line for fills, but there was a steady line for these blue cans called Cone Flakes. I figured wisdom of crowds so I picked up a 4-pack. Wow, I really enjoyed those and wish I picked up more. Anyone know the skinny, is this their specialty?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So I stopped by last Friday to get a growler fill. No line for fills, but there was a steady line for these blue cans called Cone Flakes. I figured wisdom of crowds so I picked up a 4-pack. Wow, I really enjoyed those and wish I picked up more. Anyone know the skinny, is this their specialty?
I think it was their original big IPA and Alexd. has reviewed it earlier in the thread. I had some on tap at J.Timothys and really liked it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom