Beer | Page 228 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Probably injecting some controversy here, but I think people should band together and agree to stop going to Treehouse. It’s not like they are a local micro brewery that needs the extra support. These guys are multi gajillionaires with an enormous brewing and canning capacity. People drive sometimes hours, wait in line in their cars for an hour to pick it up. Even before the pandemic the tap room was not great, nor were the food options. But people continue to flock there to the continued benefit of the profit margins.

I love Treehouse beer. I had been going there since they were in a shack and only had growler fills of green and Julius. I wen out of my way to get it when there was nothing else like it available. But now, while Treehouse might even mak an argument for being the best brewer of IPAs, I can always find something at the package store that is on a par and sometimes refreshingly better. And that’s where, at this point, we should be able to get Treehouse beer They should be distributing, like everyone else. But I get that they are effective capitalists and will continue to bank the money they would have to share with truckers and shop owners as long as people go ridiculously out of their way to get beer that maintains a myth of scarcity.

Treehouse does make good beer, and I like it a lot. I make a trip up there once or twice a year and buy a couple cases. I think TH has done a great job creating a passionate following with good beer that allows them to do some really interesting things. I just don't buy into everything they do. They swap out one of six hop varieties in a recipe and then add a bunch of letters to the existing name. Swap out a different hop variety and repeat. Currently six different IPAs and 11 different DIPAs available, and the demand for every one of them is probably feverish. Over the last few years, I've found several breweries that are either closer to me in the Greater Hartford area, and/or distribute locally, and they are just as good Treehouse and some that are better. Tox (UCONN Alumni owned) for example is making fabulous beers. IPAs, stouts, browns, sours. Starting to find them in local stores now too. Alvarium is great, Kent Falls, Abomination, Great Falls (also UCONN Alumni owned) also dynamite and available in stores.
CT Valley is ok. They have a really nice tap room. People can tour the brewing operation. Very clean. They do a good variety of brews, but they don’t compete heavily in the IPA category. I believe the flight boards are made from old plane propellers, which is cool. But the flights were priced exorbitantly.

I am a big fan of their California Triple IPA, The New Frontier. NOT Hazy,11% and smooth as silk.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I went to Vitamin Sea Brewing in Weymouth, MA a week ago from Saturday. Started drinking the beers this weekend, and have to say they are stellar. It's too back it is take out cans only right now, thanks to MA regulations. I gave Modern Love 5 stars on Untappd. Highly recommend these.

IMG_7523.JPG

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Visited Craftroots in Milford, MA today. It’s fine. Beer is ok, the blueberry ale was terrific. Lots of outdoor space, and somehow they didn’t make me buy food.

Now drinking this from Foam in Burlington. This is stellar.

168FF66B-C30D-472A-AC95-92B88AF00812.jpeg

Reaction Score
I spent a couple of days touring a bunch of CT. breweries. New England Brewing Company, 12% Beer Project, No Worries, Counter Weight, Hog River Brewing.

New Park, Alvarium, Coles Road, Bad Sons, Bad Dog

I was only drinking IPA's, Stouts, and Porters at all the breweries.

New England Brewing Company In Woodbridge- tried their old school standard bearer beers Fuzzy Baby Ducks and G Bot to start out and triple bot pint to close out. Solid stuff and chill place. Zuppardi's pizza truck hit the spot.

Coles Road in Berlin- Fillmore East New England IPA and some stouts were excellent. This place was probably the surprise of the bunch, damn good/excellent.

12% Beer Project in North Haven- this is a flat out destination brewery IMO. Girl serving us was a bit curt and didn't have the type of personality I look for in this business but the beers are some of the best I've had. I would have to look up the pours I had but they were next level craftsmanship brewing, spectacular stouts.

No Worries in Hamden- cool chill place, the beers I tasted were solid but directly coming off of 12% were unspectacular but definitely solid.

Counter Weight in Hamden- same as No Worries, solid.

Alvarium in New Britain- Place was hopping, great facility with a bunch of solid/very good IPA's and porters. They do flights and they were huge five 5 ounce pours in tulip glasses. Nice people working the taps, good crowd of folks and some great softly played 90's hip hop as background music. Cool bartender kept giving me tastes of sours and some other stuff I wouldn't typically order, he said they are expanding another 5,000 square feet. Great place and it was slammed.

New Park- some very good citrusy creamy IPA's, started with small pours of Dreamcloud and something else ended with the DIPA pint.

Bad Sons- Cool place, does flights. Beers were solid if a bit underwhelming but had a very solid/good stout. Great repurposing of an old dye cast factory in the valley and they have a partnership with Roseland which makes the pizzas on site. The pizzas were excellent bar pies and better than anything u can ever get at a brewery.

Hog River in Hartford. Closed out the first night here after a long all day/night of drinking. In an old factory with an axe throwing spot next door and next to the Park Street Market where you can order from a bunch of different restaurants that deliver to the brewery. They do flights and the beers were solid/good but it was the end of the night and was maybe a bit beered out and needed food. Sabrasas food truck was some bomb end of the night bad for you drunk food.

Bad Dog Brewery Torrington, great repurposing of the old Torrington firehouse with a ton of space, they dumped a ton of money into this place and it can fit 350 people. They better step up their beer game because they only had like three beers on tap and the two I tried were poor and served in plastic cups. They know they aren't making adequate beer for the facility because they had some Alvarium and Great Falls on the menu.

I've always complained that Connecticut is a boring state and they were maybe a tad slow on the brewery scene but they are certainly doing it well right now. Some excellent breweries in the state with all sorts of different spaces and vibes. Young, old, kids in strollers, dogs...I had a blast.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I enjoy going to Elicit in Manchester, especially for a big game. The munchies are good and they have plenty of beer choices. Their weak spot to me was their own beer, I always start with a home brew and most of it never got past fine for me. But this past visit I had a Helicopter Dad and I think it's a winner. First time I doubled up in one visit.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I enjoy going to Elicit in Manchester, especially for a big game. The munchies are good and they have plenty of beer choices. Their weak spot to me was their own beer, I always start with a home brew and most of it never got past fine for me. But this past visit I had a Helicopter Dad and I think it's a winner. First time I doubled up in one visit.
When guest taps are better than house brews...yikes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When guest taps are better than house brews...yikes.

We have a local place like that, Eaglebrook saloon. Their stouts can be decent, but mostly the guest taps are the way to go. But it’s a restaurant first, brewery second.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eh, the tolerable comment was more about being away from home and the work. Scenery is pretty amazing. Somewhat limited in the winter months with travelling- some of the roads are still closed.

Being able to see Denali from about 100 miles away is a cool thing.

First few weeks temps ranged from-35 to -40 with highs in the negative 0's??

Now that sun is peeking up a bit more temperatures have steadily stayed in the positive numbers and are almost approaching freezing temp. Still haven't seen 32 degrees in 4+ weeks.

Saw one moose.

Go to Skagway, you candy ass.

It’s a town that exists as a cruise ship stop, but...they have a brewery.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I spent a couple of days touring a bunch of CT. breweries. New England Brewing Company, 12% Beer Project, No Worries, Counter Weight, Hog River Brewing.

New Park, Alvarium, Coles Road, Bad Sons, Bad Dog

I was only drinking IPA's, Stouts, and Porters at all the breweries.

New England Brewing Company In Woodbridge- tried their old school standard bearer beers Fuzzy Baby Ducks and G Bot to start out and triple bot pint to close out. Solid stuff and chill place. Zuppardi's pizza truck hit the spot.

Coles Road in Berlin- Fillmore East New England IPA and some stouts were excellent. This place was probably the surprise of the bunch, damn good/excellent.

12% Beer Project in North Haven- this is a flat out destination brewery IMO. Girl serving us was a bit curt and didn't have the type of personality I look for in this business but the beers are some of the best I've had. I would have to look up the pours I had but they were next level craftsmanship brewing, spectacular stouts.

No Worries in Hamden- cool chill place, the beers I tasted were solid but directly coming off of 12% were unspectacular but definitely solid.

Counter Weight in Hamden- same as No Worries, solid.

Alvarium in New Britain- Place was hopping, great facility with a bunch of solid/very good IPA's and porters. They do flights and they were huge five 5 ounce pours in tulip glasses. Nice people working the taps, good crowd of folks and some great softly played 90's hip hop as background music. Cool bartender kept giving me tastes of sours and some other stuff I wouldn't typically order, he said they are expanding another 5,000 square feet. Great place and it was slammed.

New Park- some very good citrusy creamy IPA's, started with small pours of Dreamcloud and something else ended with the DIPA pint.

Bad Sons- Cool place, does flights. Beers were solid if a bit underwhelming but had a very solid/good stout. Great repurposing of an old dye cast factory in the valley and they have a partnership with Roseland which makes the pizzas on site. The pizzas were excellent bar pies and better than anything u can ever get at a brewery.

Hog River in Hartford. Closed out the first night here after a long all day/night of drinking. In an old factory with an axe throwing spot next door and next to the Park Street Market where you can order from a bunch of different restaurants that deliver to the brewery. They do flights and the beers were solid/good but it was the end of the night and was maybe a bit beered out and needed food. Sabrasas food truck was some bomb end of the night bad for you drunk food.

Bad Dog Brewery Torrington, great repurposing of the old Torrington firehouse with a ton of space, they dumped a ton of money into this place and it can fit 350 people. They better step up their beer game because they only had like three beers on tap and the two I tried were poor and served in plastic cups. They know they aren't making adequate beer for the facility because they had some Alvarium and Great Falls on the menu.

I've always complained that Connecticut is a boring state and they were maybe a tad slow on the brewery scene but they are certainly doing it well right now. Some excellent breweries in the state with all sorts of different spaces and vibes. Young, old, kids in strollers, dogs...I had a blast.
That is an amazing day!!!

Can't say enough about the crackish brewskis that flow from Twelve Percent. And No Worries is rock solid. Their Do Is Do IPA is one of my faves in CT. And Hog River...amazing.

Reaction Score
That is an amazing day!!!

Can't say enough about the crackish brewskis that flow from Twelve Percent. And No Worries is rock solid. Their Do Is Do IPA is one of my faves in CT. And Hog River...amazing.
I probably didn't explain it well. Made a solo run to Bad Sons for a few hours one night. Went to the New Haven area ones NEBCO, 12%, No Worries, Counter Weight and then we drove to Hog River in Hartford to finish the night. That was about the best day/night of drinking and food trucking you can do IMO. New Park, Alvarium, and Coles Road on the other day which wasn't too shabby.

Reaction Score
NEBCO is moving to Fair Haven. Quinnipiac River frontage. Will build on big empty lot on River Road
Very cool...

Studio, Craft Brewer Plan Fair Haven Moves | New Haven Independent

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I probably didn't explain it well. Made a solo run to Bad Sons for a few hours one night. Went to the New Haven area ones NEBCO, 12%, No Worries, Counter Weight and then we drove to Hog River in Hartford to finish the night. That was about the best day/night of drinking and food trucking you can do IMO. New Park, Alvarium, and Coles Road on the other day which wasn't too shabby.
Coles Road is getting raves.

Reaction Score
Spent part of last night at Half Full's new Third Place, on the South Side of Stamford, CT, right on the outskirts of Harbor Point.

They've done a beautiful job converting the warehouse space into a large bar w/ a private room (where I was at for a wedding party).

I haven't had Half Full beers in a while. When they first opened, their products were vastly inferior to other new CT breweries that were opening up at the time, but the quality has definitely improved. I forgot the name of the beer I had (it was a new pale ale, kinda floral) and I tried a few of my friends' sours, which isn't my style, but I appreciated their effort.

If you are in the Stamford area, Third Place is worth a stop.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Ed Daigeault’s brewery? I don’t remember what it’s called.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Going to get a six later tonight and figured I'd let the BY decide. These are the ones my local packy has.

Reaction Score
Lil' Heaven is my favorite. If they ever have it at your store, get it.

Before I stopped eating/drinking gluten, I remember Honeyspot being really good, just I reacted crazy to it. It's pretty darn delicious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom