Beer | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I'm with PepBand. I have tried Gandhi Bot multiple times. It is not at the same level of some of the great DIPA's, nevermind those from VT, out there. I feel like it is a CT homer choice. It is good, but not great. I had GBot last time back to back with Sixpoint Diesel and preferred Diesel, which is available everywhere.

I'm not in Connecticut. I was surprised people were drinking a New Haven beer, and they were raving and it was incredibly hard from them to get. I don't think it's a Conn. only thing. It may be way overhyped, but the hype is national.

It may have something to do with those hipster cans.

Reaction Score
It is very rich. There is a place in Stowe called Piecasso that has good NY Style pizza. I am always amazed how many guys guzzle Heady while scarfing down most of a large pizza. One Heady stuffs me like Thanksgiving dinner.

The beer scene in VT is excellent. Magic Hat #9 is outstanding beer and is easy to find anywhere. I'd argue it is among the best there is. I also love Switchback and Fiddlehead IPA. Switchback Brewery is in Burlington and their IPA is my favorite beer as of today, just amazing stuff. If you are ever in the Stowe area, the Alchemist, which brews Heady Topper, is building a new, state of the art facility in Stowe so they can make more beers and sell more beer and merchandise. They had a full lineup until Heady became a sensation. They had to stop making their other beers just to keep up with Heady demand. The Trappe Family Lodge has a small brewery but they too are in the late stages of building a new, large destination brewery. Just down Route 100 5-10 minutes in Morrisville are Rock Art Brewery and Lost Nation Brewery. Both have a handful of great beers from lagers to stouts with tasting rooms and beer sales and Lost Nation also has a cool, quality casual restaurant.

I highly recommend a weekend of Vermont brewery hopping in November. The cool air makes the heavier beers and comfort foods taste their best and nothing is crowded until the ski areas open.

Heddy topper is good, but is driven by a ton of Hype at this point. Hill Farmstead is much better, they have like 20 beers over 95 on Beeradvocate, its arguably the best brewery in the WORLD. Abner blows Heddy topper away and if you go to any good beer bar up here like 3 Penney, Worthy Burger, Prohibition Pig, people will agree. Lawsons also makes several beers superior to Heddy Topper.

I strongly recommend if you have a passion for beer to take a trip to Hill Farmstead. It is in the absolute middle of Nowhere, then you get there and there are tons and tons of super passionate beer enthusiasts happily waiting hours in line. Anything that draws that kind of dedication says it all. I will be there Saturday and cannot wait. Oh and Magic Hat sold their soul long ago

Some examples of hill farmstead ratings, some of their stuff would be top 10 worthy the problem is not enough people have tried, reviewed it, its so hard to get. The lowest rating for the beers listed below is a 98 with all others being 100

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/58299/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/69522/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/57886/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/62172/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/86487/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/67760/
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22511/121248/

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not in Connecticut. I was surprised people were drinking a New Haven beer, and they were raving and it was incredibly hard from them to get. I don't think it's a Conn. only thing. It may be way overhyped, but the hype is national.

It may have something to do with those hipster cans.

Southern Tier makes good beer. Give it a shot. I like the Phin & Matt's beer from them quite a bit.

Why do you call them hipster cans? I'm certainly no hipster (48 year old corporate lawyer). I go to beer fests and breweries and don't see many hipsters. They are into PBR. Meanwhile, cans are back because (a) no light gets in to harm the beer (b) oxygen can be purged more completely, for longer shelf lives (c) they are easier to store at home and in the stores, (d) lighter weight, compact shape and reduced breakage are much better for shipping and (e) aluminum cans are a better recycling option. The old thought that the can affected the taste has been proven false, so cans are coming back across the board.

Reaction Score
Southern Tier makes good beer. Give it a shot. I like the Phin & Matt's beer from them quite a bit.

Why do you call them hipster cans? I'm certainly no hipster (48 year old corporate lawyer). I go to beer fests and breweries and don't see many hipsters. They are into PBR. Meanwhile, cans are back because (a) no light gets in to harm the beer (b) oxygen can be purged more completely, for longer shelf lives (c) they are easier to store at home and in the stores, (d) lighter weight, compact shape and reduced breakage are much better for shipping and (e) aluminum cans are a better recycling option. The old thought that the can affected the taste has been proven false, so cans are coming back across the board.

I was referring to the hype. As in, branding and advertising. Even the artwork and the names of the beer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
1. Cans are better than bottles. Not a hipster trend but simply a better idea in every respect that matters.

2. Pliny the Elder (and Blind Pig, which is better imo), Heady Topper and Gandhi Bot are all tremendous beers if you like very, very hoppy IPAs (I do). BUT, you have to have them fresh. Even though cans do a better job of preserving the beer, these unbalanced (in a good way), crazy hoppy beers start to lose their hop edge almost immediately and will taste less impressive (and more boozy) every week that they sit. But if you have them fresh, I don't see any way that you could like one of them but not the others.

3. Another northeast beer that holds its own in terms of IPAs is Flower Power IPA from Ithaca. Again, freshness matters though.

4. I think the water in that Waterbury/Warren/Waitsfield VT area near Alchemist, Lawson's and Hill Farmstead must have something to do with the quality of their beers. Especially Hill Farmstead, which has the "softest" (i.e., smoothest) great beer I've ever tasted.

5. I've heard great things about Beer'd. Gotta try their products.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was referring to the hype. As in, branding and advertising. Even the artwork and the names of the beer.

Ahh, I think that's more the result of a hyper-competitive market. It's hard to be noticed. Was at the store a few weeks ago and some guy in his 60's was staring at the wall of beers and asked how in the world to figure out what to buy. Beer advocates know most of these beers, but they are trying to be the one that gets tried by younger folks or people coming from Miller/Bud/Coors.

Reaction Score
Hill's is great. I haven't tried Lawson's yet but hear it is excellent. Switchback Ale and Switch Extra pale Ale and Switch Red are all great with food. Try it. Everyone I've suggested Switchback Ale to has been drinking regularly since. You helped my point about a weekend though. You can do Lawson's, Alchemist, Trapp, Rock Art, List Nation and Hill's in a straight line trip west to east and there are several more asking the route. Burlington has several breweries 40 minutes away including some big ones like Magic Hat and Middlebury has Long Trail and Otter Creek. A fun trip but bring a driver.

You cannot go to Lawsons, there is no real brewery. They regularly have it on tap in several places in the waitsfield area, as well as Three Penney Pub, Prohibition Pig, The Reservoir, Worthy Burger and Kitchen

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You cannot go to Lawsons, there is no real brewery. They regularly have it on tap in several places in the waitsfield area, as well as Three Penney Pub, Prohibition Pig, The Reservoir, Worthy Burger and Kitchen
Don't forget Mad Taco, especially in Waitsfield. They seem to have more Lawson's on tap than anyone.

Oh, and they have the best tacos on the planet. And a smoker in the parking lot. And their margaritas also kick a s s.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I guess there is no hope for me then. I find their beer meh-tastic.

I agree. I tried a Cottrell Amber Ale...I appreciate local brewers, so all I will say is that I wont be ordering another. I actually think I have seen it for sale at Trader Joe's, which is not a good sign (for those that don't know, Trader Joe's is effectively ConAgra).

Reaction Score
another thing on Lawsons they are going to put Sip o Sunshine in cans. Probably impossible to get but should be awesome!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The only beer allowed on this site is Rolling Rock.

My dog agrees...

10687350_10152453418294639_5736155779685919366_o.jpg

Reaction Score
The only beer allowed on this site is Rolling Rock.

Rolling Rock was my beer of choice for fifteen years. I've turned to Blue moon draft with triple orange. Let me give a shout out to Donahue's in Madison. They bought the clam castle next door and upgraded they food--but the blackened fish tacos in particular are the best I have ever tasted.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rolling Rock was my beer of choice for fifteen years. I've turned to Blue moon draft with triple orange. Let me give a shout out to Donahue's in Madison. They bought the clam castle next door and upgraded they food--but the blackened fish tacos in particular are the best I have ever tasted.
Thanks for that review. My wife and I watched the Clam Castle stay closed long after Labor Day. Now we see why. I can't nudge her to go to Donahues but she is a fish taco fan. And Blue Moon can't do anything wrong.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hmmm...haven't been there since they bought it, but you have me curious. Being a #beersnob, however, I am a bit concerned about your taste given your beer preferences. Hoping someone else can confirm the fish tacos, but guessing I'll be trying them myself before long in any event. Thanks for the tip.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can't nudge her to go to Donahues
Hey Dove, if it's the scene that keeps her from Donahue's, don't bother trying Moxie. Same crowd, different room. Exceedingly underwhelming appetizers too.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hmmm...haven't been there since they bought it, but you have me curious. Being a #beersnob, however, I am a bit concerned about your taste given your beer preferences. Hoping someone else can confirm the fish tacos, but guessing I'll be trying them myself before long in any event. Thanks for the tip.
Ill meet you there. Im always up for a good Fish Taco (although Im invariably disappointed in N.E. Ive spent too much time on Orange county.......), Ive been jonesing them lately.
Dove you in?

Reaction Score
alfonse said:

Friends of mine visited while we were in Stowe and then headed over to Waitsfield for a B&B weekend. They claim to have had a small group tour of Lawson's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I find beer from a bottle to be a vastly superior experience than from a can for myself personally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom