Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In CT, anything from NEBCO. Yes, Gandhi Bot is excellent, and they changed their Sea Hag recipe in the past year or so for the better; but their special IPAs Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Supernaut are all-world level IPAs, and their session IPA, Galaxy, is great. Their stout and porter are also excellent.

Two Roads is good, especially Lil Heaven session IPA. Also a very good Russian Imperial Stout.

OEC is making outrageously good Belgians and other styles, especially their sour.

For VT, the Waterbury area is insanely great. The Alchemist (Heady Topper--still great when fresh imo), Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are all top quality across their entire lines. Fiddlehead also very good. But you can't get any of these beers in CT. Magic Hat, Otter Creek and Long Trail have improved in recent years, but imo they are not remotely close to Hill Farmstead, Lawson's or the Alchemist.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
In CT, anything from NEBCO. Yes, Gandhi Bot is excellent, and they changed their Sea Hag recipe in the past year or so for the better; but their special IPAs Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Supernaut are all-world level IPAs, and their session IPA, Galaxy, is great. Their stout and porter are also excellent. Two Roads is good, especially Lil Heaven session IPA. Also a very good Russian Imperial Stout. OEC is making outrageously good Belgians and other styles, especially their sour. For VT, the Waterbury area is insanely great. The Alchemist (Heady Topper--still great when fresh imo), Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are all top quality across their entire lines. Fiddlehead also very good. But you can't get any of these beers in CT. Magic Hat, Otter Creek and Long Trail have improved in recent years, but imo they are not remotely close to Hill Farmstead, Lawson's or the Alchemist.

Hill's is great. I haven't tried Lawson's yet but hear it is excellent. Switchback Ale and Switch Extra pale Ale and Switch Red are all great with food. Try it. Everyone I've suggested Switchback Ale to has been drinking regularly since. You helped my point about a weekend though. You can do Lawson's, Alchemist, Trapp, Rock Art, List Nation and Hill's in a straight line trip west to east and there are several more asking the route. Burlington has several breweries 40 minutes away including some big ones like Magic Hat and Middlebury has Long Trail and Otter Creek. A fun trip but bring a driver.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Two Roads. If any of you live near Stratford or are in the area and thirsty, you owe it to yourselves to check them out. My personal favorite is Honeyspot Road, their white IPA, and lil' heaven is very good, too. At First Night, my father, stepmother and I swung into Ted's for a beer. I couldn't believe they had Two Roads' spring seasonal beer, Rye95 on tap. It must have been an old keg, bbecause I go to the Two Roads brewery on a fairly consistent basis and they haven't brewed that beer since May or June. Regardless, it was as delicious as ever, but at 9.5% ABV, it packed a punch (like all Two Roads beers seem to).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Although not instate I felt this deserved a mention

I've only had this beer a couple of times on draft because I can't find it in package stores that I've looked in (my package store said they ordered 5 cases but sold almost immediately because everyone loves this beer)

My new favorite for fall beers (or at least one of my favorites now, albeit I've only had it at a couple of bars on draft - Plan B in Glastonbury, and the Irish bar on 66 in Hebron a few others but I know those 2 have / at least had it.)

Southern Tier Imperial Pumpking Ale

Its around 8.8% I think? Best pumpkin beer I've had well recently at least
I saw it at the Blue Back Whole Foods Saturday.The beer department guy really goes all out looking for craft beers from all over.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In CT, anything from NEBCO. Yes, Gandhi Bot is excellent, and they changed their Sea Hag recipe in the past year or so for the better; but their special IPAs Fuzzy Baby Ducks and Supernaut are all-world level IPAs, and their session IPA, Galaxy, is great. Their stout and porter are also excellent.

Two Roads is good, especially Lil Heaven session IPA. Also a very good Russian Imperial Stout.

OEC is making outrageously good Belgians and other styles, especially their sour.

For VT, the Waterbury area is insanely great. The Alchemist (Heady Topper--still great when fresh imo), Hill Farmstead and Lawson's are all top quality across their entire lines. Fiddlehead also very good. But you can't get any of these beers in CT. Magic Hat, Otter Creek and Long Trail have improved in recent years, but imo they are not remotely close to Hill Farmstead, Lawson's or the Alchemist.

Agree completely. I can't get NEBCO in MA. Love Heady Topper. Foley Brothers in Brandon, VT are putting out good stuff too. Their Fair Maiden is superb and I love their Maple Brown. I have a bunch of Fiddlehead's Mastermind. If I was a UConn student again, this is where I'd get my beer: http://treehousebrew.com/ Treehouse is killing it. Trillium in Boston as well.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Two Roads White IPA and pumpkin beers are pretty solid. That and of course the classic nurse from City Steam

Reaction Score
It is very rich. There is a place in Stowe called Piecasso that has good NY Style pizza. I am always amazed how many guys guzzle Heady while scarfing down most of a large pizza. One Heady stuffs me like Thanksgiving dinner.

The beer scene in VT is excellent. Magic Hat #9 is outstanding beer and is easy to find anywhere. I'd argue it is among the best there is. I also love Switchback and Fiddlehead IPA. Switchback Brewery is in Burlington and their IPA is my favorite beer as of today, just amazing stuff. If you are ever in the Stowe area, the Alchemist, which brews Heady Topper, is building a new, state of the art facility in Stowe so they can make more beers and sell more beer and merchandise. They had a full lineup until Heady became a sensation. They had to stop making their other beers just to keep up with Heady demand. The Trappe Family Lodge has a small brewery but they too are in the late stages of building a new, large destination brewery. Just down Route 100 5-10 minutes in Morrisville are Rock Art Brewery and Lost Nation Brewery. Both have a handful of great beers from lagers to stouts with tasting rooms and beer sales and Lost Nation also has a cool, quality casual restaurant.

I highly recommend a weekend of Vermont brewery hopping in November. The cool air makes the heavier beers and comfort foods taste their best and nothing is crowded until the ski areas open.

Fishy says it tastes like a pine cone. You say "It is very rich".

#beersnobs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

#beersnobs

It's not even a very piney IPA, it's more citrusy. It's rich because it is a double/imperial IPA, so has a high alcohol level. It is very hoppy, but gets it reputation in part because it isn't overly bitter despite the hops. Life is too short for me to drink tasteless crappy fizzy adjunct lagers like Rolling Rock, Corona or Bud/Miller/Coors. I'm not drinking 2 buck chuck wine either. But I don't like the "snob" label, because most fans of good beers don't care what other people drink.

Reaction Score
Although not instate I felt this deserved a mention

I've only had this beer a couple of times on draft because I can't find it in package stores that I've looked in (my package store said they ordered 5 cases but sold almost immediately because everyone loves this beer)

My new favorite for fall beers (or at least one of my favorites now, albeit I've only had it at a couple of bars on draft - Plan B in Glastonbury, and the Irish bar on 66 in Hebron a few others but I know those 2 have / at least had it.)

Southern Tier Imperial Pumpking Ale

Its around 8.8% I think? Best pumpkin beer I've had well recently at least

Pumking is very sweet, hard to drink more than one. I think it tastes like carrot cake as it is heavy on the cinnamon. They also make a creme brulee which tastes like, well, creme brulee in a blender. Other high abv pumpkins that are good are Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, Sam Adams Fat Jack and Shipyard Smashed. Dogfish Punkin is the iconic one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

#beersnobs

Bud or Coors light Deep? Perhaps you are a classic Budweiser straight up sort of guy.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
Sierra Nevada does not put out a bad beer, every kind excellent in its own right. Noble Pils by Sam Adams is incredible, very much like Two Roads' "Factory". Some nice hops but very smooth.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Pumking is very sweet, hard to drink more than one. I think it tastes like carrot cake as it is heavy on the cinnamon. They also make a creme brulee which tastes like, well, creme brulee in a blender. Other high abv pumpkins that are good are Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, Sam Adams Fat Jack and Shipyard Smashed. Dogfish Punkin is the iconic one.

Really like the Shipyard version. Another overly pumpkin/sweet option is ShockTop's. I don't like it.

Reaction Score
I tend to buy craft beers for the home. We always try something new. But I tend to have these in stock all the time:

1. Anchor Steam
2. Some type of Ommegang
3. Some type of Allagash
4. Fuller's

I'd buy Gandhi-Bot if I could find it.

Reaction Score
As far as Connecicut beer goes my favortie is Southport Brewing Company's summer brew called Hydroponic White. Sucks SBC shut down in Stamford but i still frequent the Southport location when I'm up that way.

Reaction Score
I've also heard Beer'd Brewing's Hobbit Juice is insanely good. They are in Stonington I believe.
Beer'd Brewing is by far the best brewery in CT. New England brewing is right up there as well.
Top Beer'd offerings are Hobbit Juice (DIPA), Whisker'd Wit, Grove Stand (DIPA), Dogs & Boats (DIPA). They also have some great APA's & stouts as well. They offer something for pretty much any taste. It is off the beaten path but well worth it- just check their facebook in advance to know whats on tap (free tastings as well)
As far as Two Roads goes- check out lil heaven session IPA- thats my favorite from them taking it away from Road 2 Ruin/Workers Comp

Reaction Score
Really like the Shipyard version. Another overly pumpkin/sweet option is ShockTop's. I don't like it.

Funny....The KBC Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale is their ONE beer I do not like. Couldn't even finish the first and only one I ever tried when it came out a decade or so ago. I've been a regular every summer at Kennbunkport Brewing's original Federal Jack's Brew pub in Kennebunk since it opened in 1992. Love some of their seasonal brews that they have at the pub that are not sold in stores...They have a summer wheat that is amazing. Kennbunkporter is solid also.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I don't get the Gandhi Bot hype - I love love LOVE Heady Topper, and GB is not even in the same ballpark.

One of the key guys at Firefly Hollow is a fellow UCMB alum, and an all-around good guy. Good to see word is getting out on them!

Reaction Score
I don't get the Gandhi Bot hype - I love love LOVE Heady Topper, and GB is not even in the same ballpark.

One of the key guys at Firefly Hollow is a fellow UCMB alum, and an all-around good guy. Good to see word is getting out on them!

Firefly is 5 minutes from our house. Great location. Some amazing brews. Awesome tasting room. Local pizza places etc. that deliver....They do a nice job. Good hours for a start up brewery too.

I bought a few liters of their limited Luciferin double IPA....amazing. Have to be careful at 10% ABV. ;)

Reaction Score

I'm with PepBand. I have tried Gandhi Bot multiple times. It is not at the same level of some of the great DIPA's, nevermind those from VT, out there. I feel like it is a CT homer choice. It is good, but not great. I had GBot last time back to back with Sixpoint Diesel and preferred Diesel, which is available everywhere.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't say they're not in the same ballpark. I lived out in San Diego for a few years and was lucky to get my fill of Pliny the Elder and would say Heady Topper > Pliny the Elder > Gandhi Bot...but all three are close.

Reaction Score

Southern Tier is a local bier from around here. I'll have to try it. The 7/11s sell Southern Tier around here. The brewers are popping up all over around here and they all use the same supplier here in Buffalo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom