Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Drinking a Beer’d Berliner Weisse right now because my usual haunt is out of draught cider. Very nice, if you like the style.

Tried their Radical Sandwich Anarchy NEIPA and was not impressed.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
479EC4EB-5793-49A0-8EE3-1D68B786DFD6.jpeg
G-Bot V-card for the World Series

Reaction Score
Had to go past 2 pages to get to the Beer thread, geez, just ‘cause the season is beginning doesn’t mean we have to forget priorities! Anyway, was up in Burlington VT and at downtown food coop they have both Heady Topper and Focal Bangor for sale. Had the Topper before, didn’t need to try it again- too intense and not in a good way, as far as I’m concerned. But Focal Bangor, wow! An American IPA with citra and mosaic hops, 7%, and it is delicious. Really impressed.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Beer'd just opened a 2nd production facility in Groton. No tap room yet.

The positive here is Beer'd is now in stores! A glass of Dogs and Boats is by my side.

Reaction Score
The problem for me is it's a Bud product. There are so many good local beers now I prefer to spend my money on them.
Didn't know that. No wonder why it was available at MetLife Stadium when I went to a Giants game last year and another friend had it at an Angels game. I thought it was just O.K. I agree that there are so many small, local, independently owned breweries that are making great stuff that I would rather support.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
didn't know that about Elysian either. Thanks for the link.
Wonder why Lagunitas isn't on that list?

Reaction Score
Had another beer that I would heartily recommend. It's First Drop, an APA from Upper Pass beer company in Stowe, Vermont. 5.9% alcohol, the can says "Double dry hopped featuring Azacca Centennial Mosaic & Citra hops". Wasn't wild after the first couple of sips, but by golly, it kept getting better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In Torrance, thought I'd hit up a micro tonight, but damn, they all close at 9! Needed to eat so went to Stacked, had a Knee Deep Breaking Bud and a Latitude 33 Blood Orange IPA (at barkeeps suggestion). Really enjoyed the former's subdued hops fruitiness. Less the latter.

But to make ADub mildly envious, had a delicious burger topped with.pastrami. they have a pastrami pizza too. When I asked barkeeps if anywhere in town served a white clam, he thought the concept disgusting. They don't do clams in LA

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For the record and for RTW, hit both Monkish & Smog City. Vastly preferred the latter for selection, taste, ambience, seating and lack of rudeness. Some interesting brews here.

Also had my first double double animal style. Pretty good. Would do again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone been to the new Lawsons brewery yet? Going to try it out today.

Not yet but soon. We have a house about 25 minutes south of there along Rt. 100. Very excited to check it out. Probably will end my long drives to Stowe to go to the Alchemist.

Reaction Score
Agree on this, 100%. As a rule, I really enjoy NEB CO brews.

For non-hopmonster, I have been into Overshores. They are making some great Belgian beers.

They were more or less out of business/ closing their doors about 6 months ago. The CEO offered lifetime unlimited growler fills for lets call it $1000 to keep the doors open and then they teamed up with other breweries to brew their beers at their location.

This craft brewery bubble is going to pop soon. Over saturated and any farm that grows hops doesn't need a liquor license to sell/ have a tap room. Liquor distributors and breweries are getting quite angry about that

Reaction Score
Is that wrong?

Not at all. I good friend of mine owns a liquor distribution company in ct. That's the only reason I know of this. Another quarrel of his is he has gets double taxed. He has to pay taxes on liquor/ wine/ beer he buys and then he gets taxed when he sells it. Breweries don't get hit with the double tax

Reaction Score
Sorry, I must interject.
I own Great Falls Brewing Co in North Canaan, so I’m going to speak from some knowledge. Any manufacturer of beer in the state of Connecticut must have a permit to make beer and/or sell beer. My permit for example is a brew pub/manufacturing license (costs me $1600/yr). A farm permit allows for a couple special designations like amount that can be sold at a farmers market but are limited to 75,000 gallons of production per year. But, they have to have a permit.

As for tax, we pay federal tax on the first 50000 barrels of $3.50 & $7.00 CT plus if we retail our beer we pay tax on that. And we also pay a town mill rate on our lease improvements and all our production equipment. So, to suggest that we are some how “under-taxed” is a little misleading.

As for saturation/beer bubble, craft grew 5-6% by volume of overall market in 2017. With growth coming mostly from hyperlocal/smaller breweries. Loss is coming from macro-breweries (mostly In-Bev) and the largest micros (e.g. Boston Beer & Yeungling).
We in the industry think it is slowing slightly, but there is still plenty of room for more breweries. Just, not much for Regional breweries. In CT, we were in the bottom 1/3 per capita for breweries in 2016. We’ve moved to the to 50th percentile. For example, our brewery has permit #78 - still not many for a state of 3.6 Million (in contrast, Vermont has 55 breweries for 600K people).
Lastly, Norbrook brewery opened in Colebrook a month ago and sold out of beer in 3 weeks. In the NW corner, there is definitely no saturation.

In about 4 weeks, we’ll open our doors , and I invite all my boneyard brethren to come have a cold one with me.

Cheers,
Chris “Idahoshusky” Tripler
CLAS ‘91
Founder of Great Falls Brewing Co

They were more or less out of business/ closing their doors about 6 months ago. The CEO offered lifetime unlimited growler fills for lets call it $1000 to keep the doors open and then they teamed up with other breweries to brew their beers at their location.

This craft brewery bubble is going to pop soon. Over saturated and any farm that grows hops doesn't need a liquor license to sell/ have a tap room. Liquor distributors and breweries are getting quite angry about that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom