Beer | Page 168 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
They wouldn't. But prior to this year there was no such category. So any hazy APA/IPA/DIPA could not compete.
Hence the new category!
Clarity does indeed literally mean clear beer.
No... they are judging the clarity. The quality of the aesthetic look of it. “Clarity” is a spectrum; not the extreme of one end of said spectrum that they are looking for. I’m sorry but just think critically about how nonsensical it would be for judges to be looking for clear beer in a HAZY category

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hence the new category!

No... they are judging the clarity. The quality of the aesthetic look of it. “Clarity” is a spectrum; not the extreme of one end of said spectrum that they are looking for. I’m sorry but just think critically about how nonsensical it would be for judges to be looking for clear beer in a HAZY category

You have a reading comprehension problem. Clarity isn't a characteristic of the new category at all. It was in the old American IPA category. So previously none of these beers could win in the old category. It's an example of how stupid the whole thing is. The IPAs that won in the hazy category would have had no chance last year in the American IPA category. Why? Because the criteria themselves are crap. Eight years ago, Heady Topper would have had no chance despite being the best DIPA made at the time. The same is true for Pilsners now. If you aren't using the traditional noble hops you will lose. It doesn't matter if it tastes better, they want you to make a beer to a pre-defined profile.

Had an amazing local Gose brewed with sea salt and...Skittles. Yes, Skittles. It's fantastic. It would have no chance in any of those categories.

I have no reason to doubt that these newer southern CA breweries are making great stuff. The same is true all over the country. I take issue with the suggestion that somehow they are better than what is going on here, in particular in the category that was invented here. I've had too many "NE IPAs" from other places that people said were great, which were hazy, badly made west coast IPAs. Is that Monkish or Cellermaker or Noble. No. I've heard enough that I am sure they do it well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had an amazing local Gose brewed with sea salt and...Skittles. Yes, Skittles. It's fantastic. It would have no chance in any of those categories.

So much for using natural flavorings. I feel nausea coming on. And a weird rash.

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously, I don't think anyone under the age of 35 is even capable of appreciating nuance in beer, wine, alcohol or hell, any food these days. Everything has to have a predominant flavor note that the kids can identify with so they feel they're actually "tasting" something.

I know "French" cuisine is supposedly making a comeback. I don't know who the audience is for that, or if they're bringing their own bottle of sriracha to the restaurant.

Reaction Score
You have a reading comprehension problem. Clarity isn't a characteristic of the new category at all. It was in the old American IPA category. So previously none of these beers could win in the old category. It's an example of how stupid the whole thing is. The IPAs that won in the hazy category would have had no chance last year in the American IPA category. Why? Because the criteria themselves are crap.
My bad on that. Yeah frankly I don’t know why it took them this long to make new categories.

What makes you say that?

I have no reason to doubt that these newer southern CA breweries are making great stuff. The same is true all over the country. I take issue with the suggestion that somehow they are better than what is going on here, in particular in the category that was invented here. I've had too many "NE IPAs" from other places that people said were great, which were hazy, badly made west coast IPAs. Is that Monkish or Cellermaker or Noble. No. I've heard enough that I am sure they do it well.
I hear what you’re saying here. I think some breweries and certainly drinkers are mistakenly associating all hazy beers as being “northeast/New England” style. Most of the good breweries here like Modern Times are good at only calling something NE style if it’s hoppy and juicy, and hazy if it carries that more west coast taste (I’m at Great Divide in Denver now, just tried their hazy, and that point really hits home. Very much so simply a cloudy and low-carbonation West Coast IPA).

Best thing is just to be skeptical before drinking

Edit then I go to Odell and they commit that exact sin

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My bad on that. Yeah frankly I don’t know why it took them this long to make new categories.

What makes you say that?

I hear what you’re saying here. I think some breweries and certainly drinkers are mistakenly associating all hazy beers as being “northeast/New England” style. Most of the good breweries here like Modern Times are good at only calling something NE style if it’s hoppy and juicy, and hazy if it carries that more west coast taste (I’m at Great Divide in Denver now, just tried their hazy, and that point really hits home. Very much so simply a cloudy and low-carbonation West Coast IPA).

Best thing is just to be skeptical before drinking

Edit then I go to Odell and they commit that exact sin

Those last examples are good ones. The really annoying thing for me is that (a) some of their regular IPAs are good. Myrcenary is certainly decent and (b) they don't know what they are doing. If you just try to make something cloudy you probably just make a garbage beer. Some of them add oats and stuff like that, totally faking it.

I've had good NE IPAs from many places (including Mississippi), so they certainly aren't just regional. Some of the local ones suck too. But there are so many out there latching on to a trend without knowing how to brew them. If they are hopping in any significant way during the boil, they are doing it wrong. If they are using an IPA yeast, they probably won't get the results they should. If they are using traditional C (not Citra) hops as the dry hops, again, likely a fail. I think part of the problem is that the traditional American IPA is really easy to brew and the NE IPA is not.

Since you are in CO, head to WeldWorks maybe. Unlock the Secrets of New England–Style IPAs

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Tonight drinking a Incredibly Pretencious Ale from Cottrell's. So good.

Will follow with a Sea Hag.

Reaction Score
Tonight drinking a Incredibly Pretencious Ale from Cottrell's. So good.

Will follow with a Sea Hag.

I brought a six of Sea Hag among others to an end of summer party this past weekend. I put them into the cooler that was already filled with Yuengling, Long Trails, Stella, Miller High life and such. My Sea Hags did not last long. ;)

Reaction Score
Those last examples are good ones. The really annoying thing for me is that (a) some of their regular IPAs are good. Myrcenary is certainly decent and (b) they don't know what they are doing. If you just try to make something cloudy you probably just make a garbage beer. Some of them add oats and stuff like that, totally faking it.

I've had good NE IPAs from many places (including Mississippi), so they certainly aren't just regional. Some of the local ones suck too. But there are so many out there latching on to a trend without knowing how to brew them. If they are hopping in any significant way during the boil, they are doing it wrong. If they are using an IPA yeast, they probably won't get the results they should. If they are using traditional C (not Citra) hops as the dry hops, again, likely a fail. I think part of the problem is that the traditional American IPA is really easy to brew and the NE IPA is not.

Since you are in CO, head to WeldWorks maybe. Unlock the Secrets of New England–Style IPAs
I just got back to SD. If Weldwerks weren’t way up in Greeley I totally would. Sunday I was up in Rocky Mountain Ntl Park most of the day and stayed in the city at night, checked out the neighborhood more so than breweries; then I was in CO Springs for a whole day and night yesterday, was only around Denver again for an hour or so today before getting back on the plane. Next time I’m in Denver and have time to stick to the city and breweries, they will be at the top of the list

But IIRC they were here in SD for Modern Times festival and they were good

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I’m here at the Avenue Pub in NOLA tried the DDH version of the Boodoo Tin Roof APA that won in the hazy category. Nice, but Fort Point is better.

I’m having Ghost in the Machine from Parish and it is outstanding.

Reaction Score
So I’m here at the Avenue Pub in NOLA tried the DDH version of the Boodoo Tin Roof APA that won in the hazy category. Nice, but Fort Point is better.

I’m having Ghost in the Machine from Parish and it is outstanding.
Wish I saw Ghost in the Machine when I was down in NOLA last. Couldn't find a lot of good local beer down there. Had a bunch but none of them were that great except Holy Roller IPA from Urban South Brewery. Wasn't up to the great standards we have around here but it was pretty good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Picked up some of Two Roads' Session NEIPA yesterday. I plan on having a couple tonight; I'll make sure to report back. I really enjoyed it when I had it on tap at the brewery.

Reaction Score
Picked up some of Two Roads' Session NEIPA yesterday. I plan on having a couple tonight; I'll make sure to report back. I really enjoyed it when I had it on tap at the brewery.

Lil heaven is a solid day drinking choice

I usually go founders all day ipa instead though

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lil heaven is a solid day drinking choice

I usually go founders all day ipa instead though

I wasn't talking about Lil' Heaven; they made a session New England IPA and have recently canned it for sale at the brewery.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wish I saw Ghost in the Machine when I was down in NOLA last. Couldn't find a lot of good local beer down there. Had a bunch but none of them were that great except Holy Roller IPA from Urban South Brewery. Wasn't up to the great standards we have around here but it was pretty good.

Urban South are good folks. Visited there last time. The Avenue Pub is the beer bar to hit in NO.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Urban South are good folks. Visited there last time. The Avenue Pub is the beer bar to hit in NO.
They are the best in town; DBA is also good (and usually has great music).

Reaction Score
I brought a six of Sea Hag among others to an end of summer party this past weekend. I put them into the cooler that was already filled with Yuengling, Long Trails, Stella, Miller High life and such. My Sea Hags did not last long. ;)
Not a big fan of sea hag. Much prefer their g bot or fuzzy baby ducks

Reaction Score
I was in Stratton, VT last weekend and picked up "Second Fiddle' from Fiddlehead Brewing and "It's Complicated Being a Wizard" from Burlington Brewing. Both very good DIPAs. Highly recommend them.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I bought my first 4 pack in a while of Radiant Pig's "Save The Robots". It was like crack.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Last call on Beervana Fest tomorrow night in Cranston RI. Anybody here going?

Reaction Score
Hobbit is great, but they make multiple doubles....which one did you like?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom