Beer | Page 166 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Maybe ask Russian River who, decades in, still don’t distribute enough of your beloved Pliny

I don't like Pliny any more. Well I like it still actually, but it has just been passed by while everyone else improves.

A New England brewers pet dog can make a better IPA these days.

Reaction Score
I don't like Pliny any more. Well I like it still actually, but it has just been passed by while everyone else improves.

I’ll be at GABF in a couple weekends. We will see who places in the new Hazy categories

Regardless you need to do yourself a favor and stop perseverating on this notion that I’ve been talking about West Coast style

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I had a Pliny a couple weeks ago for the first time in a year or two. Tasted pretty awesome to me.

There is a Fuzzy Baby Ducks bar crawl in New Haven this weekend as part of New Haven Beer Week. Each bar has a different version. I may tag along with a buddy to sample them.

August_West

Reaction Score
I had a Pliny a couple weeks ago for the first time in a year or two. Tasted pretty awesome to me.

There is a Fuzzy Baby Ducks bar crawl in New Haven this weekend as part of New Haven Beer Week. Each bar has a different version. I may tag along with a buddy to sample them.

Not me.
I will be throwing down a 2.5 hour 11 PM Saturday night festival slot set right after Lettuce at wormtown. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not me.
I will be throwing down a 2.5 hour 11 PM Saturday night festival slot set right after Lettuce at wormtown. :)
Love Lettuce. Sweet gig. Break a leg. I am targeting a show at Cafe Nine that night; other friends are going for Ziggy Marley at College Street.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We’ve gone over this. Unless you’re out here drinking their small batches and limited can releases, you can’t really comment.

They have an exceptional brewery/restaurant in downtown LA, a large brewery in Portland, have a second location in the city of SD in North Park, are set to open a new tap room/restaurant up in the county in downtown Encinitas over the next 10-12 weeks, and recently broke ground on a location in Anaheim. All in their 5ish years of existence. They have been massively successful.

They have the clout of having just put on their fourth annual Festival of Dankness which attracted nationally known breweries including Other Half, Great Notion, Monkish, and Russian River. Also got Cloudwater to come across the pond.

I’m sorry but I doubt Trillium, as much as I love them having been a fan since they were just a few months old, have accomplished quite as much. I haven’t been in the Northeast in 3 years now so I may be wrong, but I am loosely connected to Trillium through my girl, whose close friend does regional sales for Harpoon, whose boyfriend works the warehouse for Trillium

Well they are building their 3rd (technically 4th since the Boston brewery is being being moved/replaced/expanded) brewery soon in CT. They also have a warm weather only location on the Greenway in Boston that was so successful the city expanded the concept. All with effectively close to zero distribution. So about 98% of their beer sales are at the brewery. To this day, even on a normal weekday, the parking lot will have license plates from multiple states. Same at Treehouse and Hill Farmstead.

It's really a different market and model. I'm not sure they are directly comparable. I do hear very good things about Monkish and Cellarmaker. Opening a new tap room is a minor thing compared to building an entire additional (higher capacity) brewery. The model in the west focuses on tap room/bar/restaurant plus good beer. The model in New England is about beer, just beer and you may not even get to drink any. Treehouse still has lines in hundreds of people just to buy cans. And it is in the middle of nowhere.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not me.

You're playing at Wormtown? Outside? Where is there room for more than a guy and an acoustic guitar?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Love Lettuce. Sweet gig. Break a leg. I am targeting a show at Cafe Nine that night; other friends are going for Ziggy Marley at College Street.
Uhhh...it's STEEL PULSE and Ziggy Marley.

August_West

Reaction Score
What/where is wormtown? I'd come see you play again.

Greenfield, Mass. Near brattleboro.

But you dont have to go that far. Playing BRYAC friday.

August_West

Reaction Score
You're playing at Wormtown? Outside? Where is there room for more than a guy and an acoustic guitar?

Its a festival they put on in Camp kewannee.

heres a look from our set a couple years ago. There is room........:)

2vHCDby.jpg

Reaction Score
Well they are building their 3rd (technically 4th since the Boston brewery is being being moved/replaced/expanded) brewery soon in CT. They also have a warm weather only location on the Greenway in Boston that was so successful the city expanded the concept. All with effectively close to zero distribution. So about 98% of their beer sales are at the brewery. To this day, even on a normal weekday, the parking lot will have license plates from multiple states. Same at Treehouse and Hill Farmstead.

It's really a different market and model. I'm not sure they are directly comparable. I do hear very good things about Monkish and Cellarmaker. Opening a new tap room is a minor thing compared to building an entire additional (higher capacity) brewery. The model in the west focuses on tap room/bar/restaurant plus good beer. The model in New England is about beer, just beer and you may not even get to drink any. Treehouse still has lines in hundreds of people just to buy cans. And it is in the middle of nowhere.
Some fair points here. I was only aware of Fort Point and Canton, and the pop-up on the Greenway. Where's the third brewery, if this CT one will be the fourth?

I just want to reiterate that LA and Portland are full breweries that brew their own stuff which then make their way to the other locations. And as Auggie brought up, they aren't distributing the stuff that has made them popular (hazies, sours, and stouts) either

And nah, the vast majority of SoCal breweries are not focused on food, and most are not very bar-like. The vast majority of the places are large industrial-like buildings with taps of the stuff they brew. Sure, plenty hire food trucks to show up, but that's hardly a focus on food. And besides, yes, opening and maintaining success with a taproom can be difficult in such a saturated market like SoCal. Duckfoot just opened a new location in downtown SD and I'm worried it won't go super well for them

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Some fair points here. I was only aware of Fort Point and Canton, and the pop-up on the Greenway. Where's the third brewery, if this CT one will be the fourth?

I just want to reiterate that LA and Portland are full breweries that brew their own stuff which then make their way to the other locations. And as Auggie brought up, they aren't distributing the stuff that has made them popular (hazies, sours, and stouts) either

And nah, the vast majority of SoCal breweries are not focused on food, and most are not very bar-like. The vast majority of the places are large industrial-like buildings with taps of the stuff they brew. Sure, plenty hire food trucks to show up, but that's hardly a focus on food. And besides, yes, opening and maintaining success with a taproom can be difficult in such a saturated market like SoCal. Duckfoot just opened a new location in downtown SD and I'm worried it won't go super well for them

Trillium is Fort Point and Canton, but the old Fort Point (no taps, no tasting on site) is being replaced by a new brewery in Fort Point that should be more like Canton. Then they will add CT. Mrs. T has said previously that the goal of the CT location is to incorporate a farm, where they could then grow their own hops.

If most in CA are industrial with taps and food trucks, then that's similar to most of them here. I'd just suggest that on premise consumption is not the focus here in most of the cases. It's a tiny portion of sales at the brewery. Jack's Abby has a gorgeous place with 24 taps and food and a ton of space. Nightshift does a lot of on premise consumption, and Foam in Burlington does. But by way of example, there is none at Alchemist really (which is odd given it is in Stowe where it would be a hit). Treehouse is about to expand that element. I am hoping the new Lawson's brewery will have some nice on premise options.

Reaction Score
Trillium is Fort Point and Canton, but the old Fort Point (no taps, no tasting on site) is being replaced by a new brewery in Fort Point that should be more like Canton. Then they will add CT. Mrs. T has said previously that the goal of the CT location is to incorporate a farm, where they could then grow their own hops.
Gotcha, I thought you implied that the CT would be the fourth. But yeah I saw them post about expanding Fort Point, which is amazing to hear. Sadly I doubt it’ll be good to go by the time I’m in town mid-November.

If most in CA are industrial with taps and food trucks, then that's similar to most of them here. I'd just suggest that on premise consumption is not the focus here in most of the cases. It's a tiny portion of sales at the brewery. Jack's Abby has a gorgeous place with 24 taps and food and a ton of space. Nightshift does a lot of on premise consumption, and Foam in Burlington does. But by way of example, there is none at Alchemist really (which is odd given it is in Stowe where it would be a hit). Treehouse is about to expand that element. I am hoping the new Lawson's brewery will have some nice on premise options.
I hear that. I know people here in the industry, especially at Half Door brewery by Petco Park. Full restaurant, and full bar as well actually (one of very few I know; Ballast Point has their own spirits offshoot Cutwater and they have a full bar and restaurant in Miramar). And I know that servers routinely go home with more money than the bartenders.

And yeah, most of these breweries are started by people who don’t have much money, so all they can really afford is what I described. Then with licensing and coding and everything for restaurants, isn’t worth the hassle, at least at first (and I have a feeling it may affect growler fills too). Especially given how many good trucks there are around the county, it’s way easier to have them come by. Everyone makes their own good money

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotcha, I thought you implied that the CT would be the fourth. But yeah I saw them post about expanding Fort Point, which is amazing to hear. Sadly I doubt it’ll be good to go by the time I’m in town mid-November.
I was at Trillium in Fort Point the other day and they told me the new restaurant/tap room at 50 Thomson Place was going to open in late October.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pliny = owning a Blackberry. It was nice in 2007.

Yeah, hipsters have moved onto fermented beverages flavored with organic fair trade maple syrup and jackfruit shavings stored in used Tennessee sour mash barrels that Mila Kunis peed on. Screw that stuff that tastes like beer.

But as long as we're on the subject, anyone ever been here?

Reaction Score
I was at Trillium in Fort Point the other day and they told me the new restaurant/tap room at 50 Thomson Place was going to open in late October.
!!!

Man I haven’t had Trillium since they were disallowed from the city to do pours. I caught them when they were just months old; then, as I had no car when I lived in the city, had no real means to get to Canton. Hopefully it’s not delayed but these things often are...

Reaction Score
!!!

Man I haven’t had Trillium since they were disallowed from the city to do pours. I caught them when they were just months old; then, as I had no car when I lived in the city, had no real means to get to Canton. Hopefully it’s not delayed but these things often are...
I'll post on here when it opens. It's going to be packed for the first few months.

Reaction Score
I'll post on here when it opens. It's going to be packed for the first few months.
We follow them on Instagram so I’ll definitely know the day it opens lol but please feel free to check it out and report in; I’m hyped

Reaction Score
Guys...Idahohusky here. back from a multiple year hiatus. Been lurking, but not much time beyond that. I stopped being active once the kids started getting born in 2012...but, I’ve been working on a project the last two years, which is about to launch in about six weeks that’s relevant to this beer thread. And since it’s one of your own, I thought you’d enjoy it.

This UConn grad and HUGE husky fan is about to open the Great Falls Brewing Company in Canaan (officially, North Canaan) CT. We’ll be a brewery/taproom built in an renovated train station. We’re currently contract brewing and have a west coast style IPA called “Cascadia Farewell” and a brown called “Derailed”. We were at the Waterbury Brew & Que this past weekend and will be at the Small State Great Beer Fest in Hartford this weekend. Also, we’ll be at Prime16 this week for craft beer week & Three Sheets when the Beeracks takes over their taps. Up north, our beers are on tap at the Woodland, the White Hart, and Lone Oak campground. The reception of both of these beers has been tremendous.

Well open our doors in November, so once we do I’ll let you know. And I hope you come up and give us a try. You can find us on Our website (GreatFallsBrews.com), FB, and Instagram.

Good to be back to connect with you folks...especially if Fishy, UpstateNY, and Tom are still around.

Cheers,
Idahohusky (Trip)

Reaction Score
!!!

Man I haven’t had Trillium since they were disallowed from the city to do pours.

Trillium has certainly grown up since then. They have a beer garden in the Rose Kennedy Garden Parkway now that gets lots of business. I was there yesterday drinking the PM Dawn. Boston made a big move allowing beer gardens for Trillium, Wormtown and Night Shift in public areas.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Welcome back @idahohusky

North Canaan is was too far for me but good luck and maybe I'll see your brews through distro.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Guys...Idahohusky here. back from a multiple year hiatus. Been lurking, but not much time beyond that. I stopped being active once the kids started getting born in 2012...but, I’ve been working on a project the last two years, which is about to launch in about six weeks that’s relevant to this beer thread. And since it’s one of your own, I thought you’d enjoy it.

This UConn grad and HUGE husky fan is about to open the Great Falls Brewing Company in Canaan (officially, North Canaan) CT. We’ll be a brewery/taproom built in an renovated train station. We’re currently contract brewing and have a west coast style IPA called “Cascadia Farewell” and a brown called “Derailed”. We were at the Waterbury Brew & Que this past weekend and will be at the Small State Great Beer Fest in Hartford this weekend. Also, we’ll be at Prime16 this week for craft beer week & Three Sheets when the Beeracks takes over their taps. Up north, our beers are on tap at the Woodland, the White Hart, and Lone Oak campground. The reception of both of these beers has been tremendous.

Well open our doors in November, so once we do I’ll let you know. And I hope you come up and give us a try. You can find us on Our website (GreatFallsBrews.com), FB, and Instagram.

Good to be back to connect with you folks...especially if Fishy, UpstateNY, and Tom are still around.

Cheers,
Idahohusky (Trip)
Good luck!

Where are you contract brewing, and when do you expect to be brewing on premise?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom