So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Old Style is actually fine if you're consuming it inside Wrigley during a year the Cubs suck and their fans aren't azzes.

Other than that, it's a Heileman's. Like Wiedemann.
Hard to find Old Style in Wrigley now. Just one stall down the right field line. Old Style was the number one beer (by a mile) when I moved to Chicago in 1984. Then Miler and Bud made a big push and Old Style and Strohs(probably #2 in sales at the time) countered with the 30 pack. Which in marketing terms says "this stuff REALLY sucks" and both beers were irrelevant by the early 90's. Although Strohs was killed by poor family management more than anything. Damn, I like talking beer. I love drinking beer. BTW, I think Red Stripe is brewed in Latrobe now. Can anyone confirm?

Reaction Score
I got a little conflict here. Football game at 12 pm.

Or, local bar is one of the hosts nationwide of Zwanze Day. Cantillon is releasing its annual Zwanze beer at 12 pm.
If I watch the game and get there later, it will all be gone.

Hmmmmmm...

8 other Cantillons on tap too.

Reaction Score
Bud Light. It's overcarbonated, plain, and drinks like soda. But it's 25 percent of my sales, and 35 percent of my sales for those under 30, which is my target audience.
Reading about the craft beer culture in this thread is really interesting. Out here, if I stock 10 types of craft beer, a twelve pack of bottles each, I will sell out exactly zero after 2 months. I just stopped carrying them. Problem is, only 1 in 40 dudes walking in the door are interested in trying a new beer. Of those 1 in 40, they'll sample a beer once or twice, and that's it. I gave up stocking any craft beer. I still have 8 bottles of Sweet Baby Jesus from 6 months ago.
Definitely something I miss about CT.

Reaction Score
Bud Light. It's overcarbonated, plain, and drinks like soda. But it's 25 percent of my sales, and 35 percent of my sales for those under 30, which is my target audience.
Reading about the craft beer culture in this thread is really interesting. Out here, if I stock 10 types of craft beer, a twelve pack of bottles each, I will sell out exactly zero after 2 months. I just stopped carrying them. Problem is, only 1 in 40 dudes walking in the door are interested in trying a new beer. Of those 1 in 40, they'll sample a beer once or twice, and that's it. I gave up stocking any craft beer. I still have 8 bottles of Sweet Baby Jesus from 6 months ago.

Wow intriguing. Where is this land devoid of hipsters?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I don't spend any time in Erie, but that's so different than here in Pittsburgh, so I'm a bit surprised to hear it. Seems you can't swing a cat around here w/o hitting a microbrewery these days. Almost overkill. And pretty much every distributor has a decent selection of micros.

Then again, I get where you're coming from. Even the stores that have the best selections of micros likely wouldn't survive w/o selling dozens of 30 packs of the silver bullet daily.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I grew up on Bud, Schlitz, Shaffer, PBR, etc. We drank a Michelob if we were feeling high class for the evening. Once the craft beers showed up on the scene, I couldn't think of drinking that old crap again. For me it's the difference between McDonald's food and a well-made deli sandwich or a local grill that you visit regularly because they make it just right. JMO

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I grew up on Bud, Schlitz, Shaffer, PBR, etc. We drank a Michelob if we were feeling high class for the evening. Once the craft beers showed up on the scene, I couldn't think of drinking that old crap again. For me it's the difference between McDonald's food and a well-made deli sandwich or a local grill that you visit regularly because they make it just right. JMO

Schaefer is still the best summer lawnmowing/painting beer on the market, crisp, not sweet, very refreshing, not a watered down version of itself like the light beers. Pisses me off I can't buy it around Pittsburgh. Or Rheingold, for that matter.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Thimble Island has an amazing NEIPA selection in their Island Hopper series. First was Money. And Reel is now in stores. Up soon will be Governor. Amazing beer here.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Schaefer is still the best summer lawnmowing/painting beer on the market, crisp, not sweet, very refreshing, not a watered down version of itself like the light beers. Pisses me off I can't buy it around Pittsburgh. Or Rheingold, for that matter.
I was born in Pittsburgh and my dad is from Monaca - so I'm going to try a Schaefer again on your say-so to see if I'm missing something. I'll let you know if this guy raised in CT can get back to that old-fashioned backyard beer (I'm thinking no, but hey, you never know) :)

Reaction Score
I don't spend any time in Erie, but that's so different than here in Pittsburgh, so I'm a bit surprised to hear it. Seems you can't swing a cat around here w/o hitting a microbrewery these days. Almost overkill. And pretty much every distributor has a decent selection of micros.

Then again, I get where you're coming from. Even the stores that have the best selections of micros likely wouldn't survive w/o selling dozens of 30 packs of the silver bullet daily.

I think that depends on the target market. Nascar fans, you better pedal a cheap lager, but the rust belt has and has had for sometime some of the best craft brewers. Founder's, Bell's, Surly, Dark Horse, New Glarus, Goose Island, 3 Floyd's, etc., etc., etc.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I was born in Pittsburgh and my dad is from Monaca - so I'm going to try a Schaefer again on your say-so to see if I'm missing something. I'll let you know if this guy raised in CT can get back to that old-fashioned backyard beer (I'm thinking no, but hey, you never know) :)
To be funny I bought Schaeffer for last summer's family party. I enjoyed it.

I came away convinced that when I really want to have more than one beer, Schaeffer has to be that beer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
To be funny I bought Schaeffer for last summer's family party. I enjoyed it.

I came away convinced that when I really want to have more than one beer, Schaeffer has to be that beer.

Of course. That's what it's made for.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'll let you in on a little secret. I've come to actually like IC more than Bud/Miller/Coors/RR. Must be that Allegheny River water, lol.

Not IC Light though... yuck.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is anyone going to Beervana fest in Cranston RI? I think it's the best beer fest in New England.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Do you think it's better than Extreme Beer Fest in Boston that they have twice a year? Maybe I should take a drive down to Cranston.

It's different. It just has a great vibe to it and some incredible beers. It's essentially in a wedding facility, so it doesn't have that giant industrial feel. They limit ticket sales, so while there is a crowd (and a line to get in), it doesn't feel overcrowded. A huge number of beers are special brewed for the event.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Surprised to learn the #1 DIPA from this taste test of 176 different entries is local to me.

Seems the east coast did well in the top 10 at least. Heady Topper only made #48 though. I've never had it, but from the talk here, seems it would fare much better than that.

Reaction Score
Surprised to learn the #1 DIPA from this taste test of 176 different entries is local to me.

Seems the east coast did well in the top 10 at least. Heady Topper only made #48 though. I've never had it, but from the talk here, seems it would fare much better than that.

IPAs have evolved a lot over the last 15 years and Heady Topper was developed something like 13 years ago. I don't think any of the beers in the top 10 were developed more than 2 years ago. Respect to the OG.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It is better than that. Some on this list above it are nowhere near as good. I was very happy to see Foley Brothers Prospect in the top ten though. Well deserved.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've always felt that heady was very good but extremely overrated. Focal banger is better imo

I've now had several cases of both. I disagree, but that's personal preference. Focal is crisper and more bitter. What I can say with confidence, buying loads of Alchemist beer since the new brewery opened, is that those are their two best beers. Only Hellbrook, a hoppy Red, was close.

Reaction Score

It's great to see my favorite little local brewery Relic from Plainville make #38 with Midnight Muse. Their stuff is delicious and I was in to see the brewmaster Mark yesterday and he was really happy.

Reaction Score
It's great to see my favorite little local brewery Relic from Plainville make #38 with Midnight Muse. Their stuff is delicious and I was in to see the brewmaster Mark yesterday and he was really happy.

These guys do a really good job. They have a reserved tap at J. Timothy's and everything I've had has been excellent. I've never been to their tasting room which is a sin because I live a couple miles away in Farmington.

Reaction Score
Loving Thomas Hooker #No Filter right now... so many great beers out there. Fuzzy Ducks, Too Juicy, Ice Cream Man, Fantastic Voyage... the list goes on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom