Becky Hammon for future coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Becky Hammon for future coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Famous programs have failed in so many sports when “hiring from the tree.”

Hire the best coach. Available regardless of “ lineage.”
Hiring the "best coach available" has also failed countless number of times. Proof? The majority of failing coaches were probably the "best available" at the time. It's pretty much a crap shoot, so hiring the best available from the tree might not be so bad. Maybe the best available from the tree IS the best available.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive gotta wonder and have been wondering with Geno getting on in age and Jamelle and now Tonya coming back the winning coaching staff is back together. Now to fill the head coaching position when Geno, leaves, the coaching staff is in place to continue where Geno left off. Will Geno retire completely or will he stay on and work with players and if so how long? Think about it. Chris Jamelle Tonya know how to run/work Geno's practices and development of players. The recruits are in place. I would think that incoming recruits first question when UConn comes knockin on their door is how much longer will Geno stay on board and will he be there still coaching when they graduate. The coaching staff is in place but the number 1 recruiter when he retires will be a tuff position to fill. Who out there in WCBB is a great recruiter???? and will that person be willing to come to coach UConn with Genos staff in place or will that new coach want to bring in their own staff?????? Geno is a great recruiter and his records attract kids. We have seen over the past few years top kids go elsewhere and my belief is that alot of that has to do with UConn being loaded with talent. Alot of thoughts and questions. I believe Geno has a plan to keep UConn as the top program in WCBB and we dont know what that plan is.

Reaction Score
Hiring the "best coach available" has also failed countless number of times. Proof? The majority of failing coaches were probably the "best available" at the time. It's pretty much a crap shoot, so hiring the best available from the tree might not be so bad. Maybe the best available from the tree IS the best available.
Maybe.

But a school can’t just focus on “the tree” in It’s evaluation of the best available.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

But a school can’t just focus on “the tree” in It’s evaluation of the best available.
For sure you can't be blind about it. There's the saying "Remember the Maine". I have one "Remember Kevin Ollie". Although to be fair Ollie did have an interesting resume, he just didn't invest the time and energy to keep the team top flight and had no coaching experience.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
No to Becky.

The time will come when the search will start. There should be no limitations on the search. Let's see who is really interested in the position. Let's see who is really prepared to follow a legend.

Following a legend is the most difficult job anyone can take on. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. It is going to take a very special person to be UConn women's next head coach.

Reaction Score
In the W, two fine teams are competing for the championship.
One, the group from NY has a fine coach

The other, the Las Vegas bunch has the finest coach currently
employed in woman's BB (Geno excepted).

Becky Hammon should be at the top of UConn's list to be coach
when Geno retires.

The money works.
Good Lord...that's a hard no.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Becky has the players right now.
What happens when she doesn't will show what kind of coach she is (see Van Chancellor).
College is such a different world - recruiting, developing, raising money etc. In the W, you work your ass off for 4 months, then spend the rest of the time evaluating talent... But NOT (always) recruiting it. Salary cap, real HR, draft position etc. impacts it all.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I loved Becky Hammon as a player but something turns me off on her as a head coach!
Can't put my finger on it but I don't like the Aces at all!
Also Teresa Witherspoon was just named head coach of the Chicago Sky!
I'm ok with the Aces and loved Becky as a player, my wife has a pair of her game worn sneakers signed. She doesn't give me warm and fuzzies as a coach, tis true, but I'm not sure that disqualifies a coach. Lots of very successful coaches across all sports don't project warm and fuzzies.

Oh, and its a pet peeve, I even posted on Facebook about it. That would be Teresa Weatherspoon you're talking about. Sophia Witherspoon was her teammate with the Liberty. Somehow folks aways mix up the last names. Like Pondexter and Poindexter. The Rutgers player was the former.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Again imo Geno has lined up the coaches now its up to who fills Geno's shoes. Maybe Chris. Geno is a great great recruiter and I dont know of any coach who can match him in recruiting. So if Chris decided to take over she has the staff behind her. Another thought is will Geno still have some part in coaching and developing the players .

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Again imo Geno has lined up the coaches now its up to who fills Geno's shoes. Maybe Chris. Geno is a great great recruiter and I dont know of any coach who can match him in recruiting. So if Chris decided to take over she has the staff behind her. Another thought is will Geno still have some part in coaching and developing the players .
I don't see anyone on the UConn coaching staff (outside of CD) that has has the ability to fill Auriemma's shoes. Dailey has said repeatedly that when he goes - she goes. Obviously, there are a couple of capable head coaches in the UConn tree but it would be a huge mistake to limit the search. Think about how that has worked out for Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I believe the next head coach could be in Tennessee or New Jersey. Not sure if the timing works in either case. I think Carla could be in line for a promotion soon.

Reaction Score
I ~thought~ Chris has already stated she's gone when Geno goes.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately people want championships regardless of the story. So much is coming out about Vegas and Becky but people are blind. The “kicker hamby to the curb” is one
Pro ball is a kick you to the curb business. You need a coach who can make the tough choices and Becky sure won't back down from that. She is molded in the image of Greg Popovich and isn't going to do anything that isn't for the best of the team.

Reaction Score
I look at the lineage and I don't see one person who could come in and take over for Geno. First off the person is going to have to be an exceptional recruiter, second they have to have ten layers of skin to survive the microscope they will be under at UCONN. I think everyone would be on board for a lineage hire until they lost back to back games and then it would be time to move on.

So many remarkable coaches have been replaced by the popular choice not the right choice and the program has fallen never to come back up. I would hate to see that happen at UCONN but it will if people pass on coaches like Becky because the coach did something they didn't like. Her players love her and she win's championships.

Reaction Score
Pro ball is a kick you to the curb business. You need a coach who can make the tough choices and Becky sure won't back down from that. She is molded in the image of Greg Popovich and isn't going to do anything that isn't for the best of the team.

You can't be kicked to the curb for being pregnant. And you sure as heck shouldn't be asking about her medical records after she was traded. She can be molded by Pop, but Pop doesn't have to deal with those situations. To me, she is a walking HR nightmare.

Reaction Score
Famous programs have failed in so many sports when “hiring from the tree.”

Hire the best coach. Available regardless of “ lineage.”
This post was regarding hiring Becky Hammon. My position was that there are so many talented coaches who are UConn adjacent that could carry on the legacy they are familiar with.

This isn't the tree, it's THE tree.

Nielle Ivey at Notre Dame, Kellie Harper at Tennessee, there are countless other success stories to counter the failures. Any coach behind Auriemma will be considered a failure and I stand behind choosing a successor who has seen the special sauce.

sun

Reaction Score
I can't see the next coach being paid $3 mil unless they have NC's on their resume. They would need to prove themselves to be worthy of top tier pay. Then after some success they would achieve some parity in pay with other top coaches.
Geno may even have some input chosing his successor, especially if he decides to stay on the Atheltic Dept, staff for some transition years as his contract allows, since he would be working & coordinating with that person.

Imagine if Geno wrote a glowing recommendation for a candidate that he favored, but his recommendation was ignored & UConn hired someone else that didn't work out.
UConn could end up looking bad for not following Geno's advice.
That's why I think that he'll have some input, to make for a smoother transition & his continued assistance, even if it's only as an advisor.
Which potential candidate do you think that Geno would favor the most?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect the next coach will come from the Husky family. The only outsider who makes any sense to me is Nikki Collen at Baylor. But the main target is likely to be Carla. 10 years from now she’ll be ready to step in and carry the program forward. I don’t see Geno giving it up any sooner than that.

Reaction Score
I suspect the next coach will come from the Husky family. The only outsider who makes any sense to me is Nikki Collen at Baylor. But the main target is likely to be Carla. 10 years from now she’ll be ready to step in and carry the program forward. I don’t see Geno giving it up any sooner than that.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You're gonna make the poor guy coach til he's almost 80? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom