BE wants 14th football member per commish | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BE wants 14th football member per commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
You need to have forward vision in determining the next member(s)... and BYU are no brainers if interested. Nevada, UNLV, or Fresno open up markets for #16...

If we were to get an acc school it wouldn't be a lone wolf. The only way we wouldn't take and BYU is if three of the following were available: FSU, GT, VT, Clemson, or NC State... If Pitt, BC, and Syr wanted back I hope we would tell them to wait a minute, and then announce , BYU, and Fresno...

Hard to see an ACC team departing for the NBE, unless they got extra money. and BYU would be huge gets. Of the others Fresno is impoverished and the economy is collapsing; Reno is a tiny, tiny market. UNLV has potential, but the program has a long way to go. UT-San Antonio would be just as good, it's in a bigger media market (http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp). I would try to stay at 15 for a bit and see who emerges. You never know, with Navy and in maybe Army would consider it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hard to see an ACC team departing for the NBE, unless they got extra money. and BYU would be huge gets. Of the others Fresno is impoverished and the economy is collapsing; Reno is a tiny, tiny market. UNLV has potential, but the program has a long way to go. UT-San Antonio would be just as good, it's in a bigger media market (http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp). I would try to stay at 15 for a bit and see who emerges. You never know, with Navy and in maybe Army would consider it.

I agree with most of what you said, with the exception of UTSA. I don't know if UTSA would ever be more than perhaps the 7th best team in Texas, let alone a BCS type program. I agree 100% with what you've said about Fresno, Reno, and UNLV, though.

I think that BYU and would be great pickups, especially BYU. The question really is; if we get BYU and , how do we go to 16 and have it make sense? I don't think that Army makes sense, because they are just so daggone bad (insert Memphis joke here _____). Although they would have a large following and would be in the northeast, I see them more as a detractor than a positive addition...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can we please stop with Fresno? The school has horrible budget issues and the city is about to go completely broke. They literally have no idea how they can continue to pay for police and fire - who is going to live there to support the program?

If Prop 30 doesn't pass forget Fresno State - not just for football - just forget them.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said, with the exception of UTSA. I don't know if UTSA would ever be more than perhaps the 7th best team in Texas, let alone a BCS type program. I agree 100% with what you've said about Fresno, Reno, and UNLV, though.

I think that BYU and would be great pickups, especially BYU. The question really is; if we get BYU and , how do we go to 16 and have it make sense? I don't think that Army makes sense, because they are just so daggone bad (insert Memphis joke here _____). Although they would have a large following and would be in the northeast, I see them more as a detractor than a positive addition...

Size of following / TV audience >> quality of football.

The other question is: If we get BYU and , can we drop Memphis for 14 teams?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Size of following / TV audience >> quality of football.

The other question is: If we get BYU and , can we drop Memphis for 14 teams?

I understand that San Antonio is a large market, but they suffer from the "Memphis disease." It's a disease characterized by the fact that most of the people in your city wear a college jersey and hat that are not your school colors (find me someone in that city who isn't a Texas fan), AND they are no good at football. The same thing goes for Memphis, where most people wear orange.

At least with Houston and SMU, they have fans that have been loyal to those football teams for a few generations. It is reasonable to think that they could take back a meaningful portion of their respective tv markets during really good years. It's not reasonable to assume that of UTSA.

And if we could find a way to trade Memphis, I think Aresco might have already done it...

Reaction Score
Had to go back to my old porky with wings avatar.

Teams are going to leave the ACC for the NBE!!!!

ROTFLMAO.

The ACC, which has not last ANY teams in over 40 years, now is suddenly going to lose teams to the NBE??? You know, the BE that gets raided for teams every few years. That BE? Yup, definitely a 'destination' conference.

Send me some of what you all are smoking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And if we could find a way to trade Memphis, I think Aresco might have already done it...

Send them a fake letter from Delany offering them a B1G spot, conditioned upon their immediate resignation from the BE. Hey, it's worth a shot.

Reaction Score
SC left ACC 40 years ago because of FB. If I were Clemson and/or FSU, I'd certainly consider it if I could get a deal. ACC has real collection of football duds--Duke, WF (this year for sure, anyway), Maryland, BCU, incoming SU and Pitt. UVA, NCS, GT, UNC (academic 5 star athletes), Miami are so so. That leaves FSU and choke a lot VT and Clemson. Believe me, FSU wants to go and Clemson and maybe VT would leave, too, with an offer. Would I mind UConn in the ACC? No, but the conference isn't God's gift to football and it's not very good either.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's foreshadowing or not, but I was just in Best Buy, and on one of the big TV's where the XBox was set up for customers to sample games, UConn was playing UNLV (at UNLV). We were up 7-0 w/ the ball early 2nd qrtr.

It may mean nothing. It may mean something. Just sayin' it could be a sign.

I was going to change it to UConn hosting Ohio St on my way out, but people were using it (so its my fault if we don't get into the B1G).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's foreshadowing or not, but I was just in Best Buy, and on one of the big TV's where the XBox was set up for customers to sample games, UConn was playing UNLV (at UNLV). We were up 7-0 w/ the ball early 2nd qrtr.

It may mean nothing. It may mean something. Just sayin' it could be a sign.

I was going to change it to UConn hosting Ohio St on my way out, but people were using it (so its my fault if we don't get into the B1G).

Only one living soul knows the answer to questions like these...

That soul is...Conspiracy Kitty.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's actually not shocking at all to Penn State or Clemson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMU_Mustangs_football#National_championships

Back then, they had systems that were even worse than the BCS, if you can believe it. They had multiple systems that would vote the national champions. In fact, in 82, the Helms system voted SMU and Penn State co-champions. The AP poll and Coaches' poll both had Clemson and Penn State for '81 and '82 respectively, although there were many years where they did not agree as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...poll_championships_.281936.E2.80.93present.29

This was all evidence that a playoff system was absolutely necessary, even 30 years ago. However, money wins, not sensibility.

I hope that was good enough for you...

Believe it or not, I was in high school "back then" and absolutely no one on earth then, or now, has ever given any credence to the Helms System or National Championship Foundation. A nod as my uncle Franks "National Champion" would carry similar significance. The AP and Coaches poll were the only two entities that mattered and neither named SMU champion at any point.

Reaction Score
This - also from a Florida resident.

Lots of ignorance on this board re: UCF. They are a sleeping giant.

As an OT, my son just got his first official recruiting letter (for baseball), which happened to come from UCF...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only one living soul knows the answer to questions like these...

That soul is...Conspiracy Kitty.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty smiles knowingly but says nothing.

Reaction Score

Tulsa...

Reaction Score
Can we please stop with Fresno? The school has horrible budget issues and the city is about to go completely broke. They literally have no idea how they can continue to pay for police and fire - who is going to live there to support the program?

If Prop 30 doesn't pass forget Fresno State - not just for football - just forget them.
so an additional $17-18M a year wouldn't help them?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
so an additional $17-18M a year wouldn't help them?

When your school in considering not allowing freshman to enroll and you've cut back the maximum credits per semester to 16 you aren't in a position to dedicate the resources required to implement.

They wouldn't get 17 or 18 million anyway - they would be football only and they don't bring enough to the table to increase the per team average. Why would a network spend $100 million+ over a decade for the rights to Fresno State football? That is what would have to happen to have the addition make sense.

The only schools worth adding would be those that would increase the average rake per team. The only school that even has a chance to do that is BYU.

The Big East isn't at a point where they need quantity to survive - they already have that. They need quality to market.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I was in high school "back then" and absolutely no one on earth then, or now, has ever given any credence to the Helms System or National Championship Foundation. A nod as my uncle Franks "National Champion" would carry similar significance. The AP and Coaches poll were the only two entities that mattered and neither named SMU champion at any point.

Tell that to Syracuse and Pitt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Panthers_football#Pitt_claimed Ugh.

Cuse (in basketball, but you get the idea)
suhoops1926.jpg

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Tulsa...

Tulsa's an interesting idea. It's one that I've thought about for a little while. I'm not sure what their market size is, but they have had a pretty decent quality football team for a while now, and it would open up some Oklahoma roads along with the Texas roads that we've just picked up.

Still, let's focus on BYU first. Then the / Tulsa thing could be the next step...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would say BYU would be the best fit for football and not to bad for other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom