BE wants 14th football member per commish | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BE wants 14th football member per commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it's /BYU or Bust. I can't see us wanting to add another East Coast member as there are ZERO that have any appeal. I know ECU has a good fan base but what else do they bring? Nothing....

They really wanna add another western member for SDSU and Boise and if it's for FB only, which is how I interpreted it, then it can be a school further west like or BYU. Other than those two, I don't wanna see any other western school. Fresno, UNLV, Nevada are worthless. Yeah UNLV would be a cool road trip but they are as bad as Memphis in football.

Hopefully they won't add a 14th member just for the sake of adding someone. They also need to think of how the payouts wil be affected with adding another mouth to feed. Would the addition of a "championship game" (which I think are stupid money wasters) really add enough money to offset adding a 14th member? I'm thinking no.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's an interesting point. Not sure the relationship between ESPN, Disney, or UCF other than geography...

Short answer is none.

Longer answer is there's probably some working agreements to help each other out, but in all my time around the Orlando area, UCF's campus and at Disney parks I haven't ever seen or heard of anything promoting each other.

Reaction Score
1.)Boise State has been great for a few years, but BYU has what we're missing most and that's tradition. they have a national championship from within my lifetime and they have a lot more fans that regularly pack a 63k stadium, whereas Boise plays in a 37k seat sideshow of a stadium(not due to size, but the idiotic field). to me it's not even that close. if BCS auto bids were still a factor maybe Boise's theoretically higher ranking would be more important, but since that's no longer a factor it's not.

2.)UCF is a glorified community college that I just saw ranked as the #1 least rigorous college on CNN last week. they're facing sanctions, and while their teams on the field are decent, they're nothing special. football wise UCF is way better than Memphis, and bball wise i'd give Memphis a solid edge. as far as that criteria i can see preferring UCF, but I think the intangibles of Memphis are better. Memphis provides a nice little market and brings FedEx money and ties us to the Liberty Bowl. they also fill in our geography a little bit and i think between them, Cinci and Louisville, we can have a nice little rivalry develop there. UCF doesn't really bring much other than we now have the 4th and 5th best Florida teams instead of just the 4th (although on the field lately they're probably 3rd). UCF is just USF v2.0 and we don't need another USF
ucf a glorified community college. Clearly you have never been there It's campus is roughly the size of uconns maybe bigger. They beat us last year in basketball so there is competition there. There football team has a shot at being the conference USA champions if it weren't for the violations they are trying to postpone. The sat score and grade to get in are similar to what uconns standards were in the mid 90 s when I was there. So it is actually a quality add in a great recruiting ground

Reaction Score
ucf a glorified community college. Clearly you have never been there It's campus is roughly the size of uconns maybe bigger. They beat us last year in basketball so there is competition there. There football team has a shot at being the conference USA champions if it weren't for the violations they are trying to postpone. The sat score and grade to get in are similar to what uconns standards were in the mid 90 s when I was there. So it is actually a quality add in a great recruiting ground

Agreed. As a Florida resident I can tell you that UCF is the hot place to go for those that don't get into UF. Great job opportunities and lots to do in Orlando. There is so much more to Florida than amusement parks and bikinis (both of which I enjoy). Orlando is a great city overall and UCF will be doing things over the next 10 years as Orlando's major U.

Reaction Score
Agreed. As a Florida resident I can tell you that UCF is the hot place to go for those that don't get into UF. Great job opportunities and lots to do in Orlando. There is so much more to Florida than amusement parks and bikinis (both of which I enjoy). Orlando is a great city overall and UCF will be doing things over the next 10 years as Orlando's major U.

This - also from a Florida resident.

Lots of ignorance on this board re: UCF. They are a sleeping giant.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yup^ and unlb malost beat b20 team

Reaction Score
Will take a lot of years of consistent winning before anyone takes a 'directional' school seriously in major college FB.

Reaction Score
Will take a lot of years of consistent winning before anyone takes a 'directional' school seriously in major college FB.
duh. It takes a lot of years of consistent winning before anyone takes any school seriously in major college FB.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It will take a lot of years of consistent winning before anyone takes Duke, Maryland, BCU, Wake Forest, Virginia or all but one or two current (and future) ACC schools seriously in major college football.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
1) You can't very well bring an argument that BYU is better than Boise because of fanbase size, and then not bring that into the argument of UCF versus Memphis!

2) That national championship that you are talking about was in 1984, the same year as the movie "Sixteen Candles" and two years before the Shuttle Challenger exploded. Then you must be ecstatic that we have also grabbed SMU, the national champions of 1981 and 1982! They should be viewed as twice as good as BYU!!

L.
National champs in 81 and 82? That would be quite a surprise to Clemson and Penn State.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
National champs in 81 and 82? That would be quite a surprise to Clemson and Penn State.

It's actually not shocking at all to Penn State or Clemson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMU_Mustangs_football#National_championships

Back then, they had systems that were even worse than the BCS, if you can believe it. They had multiple systems that would vote the national champions. In fact, in 82, the Helms system voted SMU and Penn State co-champions. The AP poll and Coaches' poll both had Clemson and Penn State for '81 and '82 respectively, although there were many years where they did not agree as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...poll_championships_.281936.E2.80.93present.29

This was all evidence that a playoff system was absolutely necessary, even 30 years ago. However, money wins, not sensibility.

I hope that was good enough for you...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watching the NBE teams this weekend, I think going to 16 is a really good idea, and BYU is absolutely table stakes. Nevada would be perfect if Ault was 10 years younger, but he doesn't have much time at the helm. The most attractive addition from a market perspective would be UNLV, but they suck. Maybe Fresno or CSU?

Reaction Score
duh. It takes a lot of years of consistent winning before anyone takes any school seriously in major college FB.

Well, take "a lot of years" and add "a lot more" for any directional state u.

Maybe we should add U ofPhoenix online. They have a big "virtual" fan base.

Reaction Score
Going to 14 makes sense. To 16 only makes sense if, and it's a big if, the two teams can bring enough revenue to the BE to offset their addition. Otherwise the presidents will never vote to expand to 16. I believe the BE should go to 14. See how things go and hopefully the conf. exceeds all expectations both in revenue and on the field. Then maybe they could expand to 16 with some bigger named schools. Why settle now with UNLV, Fresno or Nevada. they really add very little value.

Reaction Score
Going to 14 makes sense. To 16 only makes sense if, and it's a big if, the two teams can bring enough revenue to the BE to offset their addition. Otherwise the presidents will never vote to expand to 16. I believe the BE should go to 14. See how things go and hopefully the conf. exceeds all expectations both in revenue and on the field. Then maybe they could expand to 16 with some bigger named schools. Why settle now with UNLV, Fresno or Nevada. they really add very little value.
One of those would be 16... and BYU will be 14 and 15...
Both of those schools will add to the contract...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
One of those would be 16... and BYU will be 14 and 15...
Both of those schools will add to the contract...

This is true, but mcs makes a good point. Team #16 CANNOT BE a team like Fresno or Nevada, in my humble opinion. They don't add a lot to the revenue of the league, and more importantly, they don't add to the image of the league. We have plenty of "middle-of-the-road" teams. BYU adds a lot, no doubt about it. will add less prestige but a large national following and a natural rival to Navy.

If I can dream a little, team #16 would have to be a raid of one team from a BCS league; a team that is relatively unhappy with their current situation and who is in a contract similar to ours (that means that we need ACC-like money, and the team would likely come from the ACC only). Outside of that eventuality, 14 with BYU makes more sense than 16 with BYU, , and Fresno...

Reaction Score
Yup^ and unlb malost beat b20 team

Translation please

DrunkHusky.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Translation please
The carrot ^ was pointing to metsfan's previous post which mentioned Nevada beating cal. The rest translates to "UNLV almost beat a Big Ten team" referencing their 27-30 loss to Minnesota.

I cna tarnstlate drnk tkal prrty goo smetimess i post aafterhavvin afew breers....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No ownership - pilfer away.

Not for me, though. Greg Lloyd knocking the Touchdown Jesus out of a ND running back is going to be mine for quite some time...;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not for me, though. Greg Lloyd knocking the Touchdown Jesus out of a ND running back is going to be mine for quite some time...;)

As it should be.

Reaction Score
This is true, but mcs makes a good point. Team #16 CANNOT BE a team like Fresno or Nevada, in my humble opinion. They don't add a lot to the revenue of the league, and more importantly, they don't add to the image of the league. We have plenty of "middle-of-the-road" teams. BYU adds a lot, no doubt about it. will add less prestige but a large national following and a natural rival to Navy.

If I can dream a little, team #16 would have to be a raid of one team from a BCS league; a team that is relatively unhappy with their current situation and who is in a contract similar to ours (that means that we need ACC-like money, and the team would likely come from the ACC only). Outside of that eventuality, 14 with BYU makes more sense than 16 with BYU, , and Fresno...
You need to have forward vision in determining the next member(s)... and BYU are no brainers if interested. Nevada, UNLV, or Fresno open up markets for #16...

If we were to get an acc school it wouldn't be a lone wolf. The only way we wouldn't take and BYU is if three of the following were available: FSU, GT, VT, Clemson, or NC State... If Pitt, BC, and Syr wanted back I hope we would tell them to wait a minute, and then announce , BYU, and Fresno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom