BC Dominating the Boston/New England Market | Page 5 | The Boneyard

BC Dominating the Boston/New England Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with you to the extent that ALL these leagues in Div.1 make little to no sense at all anymore in terms of their configuration. ( Only the Ivy League configurations make sense from a cultural, student body, athlete, configuration, imo ). BC was once in a BE with West Virginia ( and vice versa). Uconn is currently in a league of cultural misfits too ( Southern Methodists ? )... and attempting to join a league based in the Southwest region of the country, that has Oklahoma State, West Virginia, etc in it. What common cultures do residents of Connecticut have with Texans ? Not much, to my way of thinking. BC thus is no less a fish out of water with schools located on the east coast, than Uconn... a N.E. school... would conceivably be in a college sports league primarily based in Southwest Texas.
The only school in the B-12 in western TX is Texas Tech (Lubbock) , the other 3 are almost in a straight line from each other in Central Texas on I-35. League HQ is also in that vicinity. The 6 other schools are NOT in the state of TX. Are you sure you don't want to edit your post? Because you definitely aren't very good with your geography here @Yawkey Way

Reaction Score
Blumenthal was and still is an attention seeing fool who will do anything to get more PR and more votes regardless who he damages in the process. We agree on that.

As for being a pariah, only BC and Miami seemed to take that suit personally, .

ACC Commish Swofford too, imo. Blumenthal had Swofford sued personally if I recall in his filings. I would imagine this became thorn in the side of Swofford when Uconn's name came up later for consideration of an ACC invite.

Reaction Score
The only school in the B-12 in western TX is Texas Tech (Lubbock) , the other 3 are almost in a straight line from each other in Central Texas on I-35. League HQ is also in that vicinity. The 6 other schools are NOT in the state of TX. Are you sure you don't want to edit your post? Because you definitely aren't very good with your geography here @Yawkey Way

We all agreed on here before on other threads that the Texas schools( and Oklahoma ) have enormous sway in the B12... The B12 is a southwest USA oriented college sports league. It might attempt to broaden its geographical reach beyond this southwest based core should it expand. But my central point that BC is no less a fish out of water in an eastern seaboard, Atlantic Coast, college sports league than Uconn would be in a league whose historic core schools are in the Southwest USA seems an accurate assessment, imo. Remember my reply was to the statement above that BC is out of place in a " southern based " league ( which increasingly the ACC is no longer now, imo )

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way I'm old enough to remember what you are talking about. I'm also smart enough to know that until BC builds a stand alone football practice facility everything you just mentioned is going to be a pipe dream. .
Maybe.. who knows. But my response was in conjunction to the " news " that a Uconn poster here has a BC friend supposedly in the know that says that BC is going to quit the ACC and join the Patriot league to play Holy Cross, URI, et al every year and so forth. THATS a pipedream filled with lots of cannabis perhaps ( haha!).. as thats not going to happen. Uconn football, should it not secure a P5 invite soon, is probably in a far more precarious position of downsizing its football program than BC is , if we are honest about it, when it comes to the topic now of the possible need of " downsizing " its football program in the coming years. So I wish this issue of football " downsizing " was not even broached on this thread, frankly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think mostly it's cultural. BC fits well enough with Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland (before they left) Duke and Miami. Maybe UVA. BC doesn't fit with the culturally southern schools in the ACC. I mean, Hockey is the most popular sport at BC.
I'm not saying UConn fits well in the Big XII, it doesn't. It isn't horrible, but certainly not ideal.

BC really blew it by working against UConn to the ACC. Nothing could have helped BC more than a truly local New England rival in the league. I'm a Boston area resident too, married to a Boston lifer...the myopia in the Hub is extreme. Bostonians can't see anything beyond maybe New York, and things get cloudy outside of 495. Winston Salem NC or Tallahassee might as well be on Neptune.

boston map.jpg

Reaction Score
Syracuse will become BC's football " rival" as both schools are Private Universities with many in its student body from outside its states borders

May want to re-think Syracuse, too. Its a private, costly university located among very good state universities (Buffalo, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, etc.) located far away from any vibrant job market and in a climate that many find inhospitable. Why do you think they are trying to call themselves NYC's university even though they are located further away from Times Square than Rutgers, UConn, and Penn St?

In 2014, Syracuse admitted 3,400 students into its freshman class, they were from the following states:
  • NY: 1,400
  • NJ: 400
  • MA: 300
  • PA: 200
  • CT: 150
So, 40% of total students going to Syracuse are from NY and 70% are from NY and states that border the state of NY. Only 2 other states send more than 100 to Syracuse - MD (100) and CA (150). That's not a national university. That's a regional university.

Reaction Score
May want to re-think Syracuse, too. Its a private, costly university located among very good state universities (Buffalo, Penn St, Rutgers, UConn, etc.) located far away from any vibrant job market and in a climate that many find inhospitable. Why do you think they are trying to call themselves NYC's university even though they are located further away from Times Square than Rutgers, UConn, and Penn St?

In 2014, Syracuse admitted 3,400 students into its freshman class, they were from the following states:
  • NY: 1,400
  • NJ: 400
  • MA: 300
  • PA: 200
  • CT: 150
So, 40% of total students going to Syracuse are from NY and 70% are from NY and states that border the state of NY. Only 2 other states send more than 100 to Syracuse - MD (100) and CA (150). That's not a national university. That's a regional university.

Reaction Score
That's not a national university. That's a regional university.[/QUOTE]

True... Syracuse is more of a regional university than a national one. There are also differences in that BC is a Private, Catholic University and Syracuse is a Private, Secular, University. However, BC and Syracuse, as Private Universities, have more in common with one another than BC and Uconn have. Uconn is the Flagship Public University it its state. If we were not talking sports, Uconn has more in common with Umass than it does with Boston College, as both State's Flagship State Universities primary tax payor funded educational mission is to educate its state's residents first and foremost.

Georgia and Georgia Tech are not football " rivals "either, and never will be, despite even being in the same state. Not really. This is primarily because its school's student body make up is quite different between the two, and the schools really have different missions as they see themselves as schools.

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
So I see the thread title and I'm like, "Well why WOULD British Columbia be dominant in Boston?" And then I realize that's its the other BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom