BC Dominating the Boston/New England Market | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BC Dominating the Boston/New England Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once BC went to the ACC, Blauds became irrelevant to the Globe and its readers, as nobody cares about BE Football, nor BE Basketball in Greater Boston.

We agree on something...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's sad that we always drag out these BC hate threads. We're finally playing BC this year, let's save it for game week.
You save it for game week if you want. Everyday is a day to hate on BCU.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've discovered the identity of skankhunt42. Its Yawkey.

Reaction Score
Yawkey outside of hockey..it's pretty evident that nobody in Boston cares about BC sports.

Actually that narrative we oftentimes hear is not true, imo. For example, this thread topic on BC has almost as many views as does the Uconn- Syracuse game thread. These view numbers don't lie Also,. BC 's home attendance for football games exceeds that of Uconn the last few years. Do we say then that " nobody cares about Uconn football in Hartford and in Connecticut then " ? No. Because that would be a inaccurate assessment as well if put forth. What we can say is that Boston is not a college sports loving town. Folks in Boston mostly consider college sports the minor leagues... the feeder system to the Pros. As such, BC ( and Uconn ) are a mere tiny blimp on the sports radar screen in Boston. This much seems an accurate assessment to me, anyway. I should know about the comparative interest. I was born and raised in Boston and have spent over half a century there ( before retiring to Florida 2 years ago ).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
YW
. The point is that it was bad for BC because they never fit in the ACC.

BC is located along the eastern seaboard...the Atlantic Coast. How can you state that BC does not " fit in the Atlantic Coast Conference", when Uconn, a New England school, is currently attempting to get into a league located primarily in Texas, and in the Southwest portion of the US ?

Reaction Score
I'd give your BC golfing buddy a mulligan if he's convinced you that BC " wrecked the Big East ". The Big East people that ran their basketball centric world out of Providence, R.I. '"wrecked the Big East Football League". The Big East was started by Dave Gavitt, a former College Basketball Coach. The BE Football schools were always at odds..right from the beginning... with the Basketball oriented schools. Once Miami.. a football oriented school... bolted the BE, the Big East football side crumbled quickly. BC did what Uconn is attempting to do now. Get out, and find a better, more stable league for its football program, as well as its other sports.

I already agreed that the fools in Providence were blind, especially turning down Penn St, and their actions led to the end of the old Big East. But, do no compare UConn to BC in the process. UConn has been above board expressing its interest and need to be part of the P5, which UConn already from a budget, facilities, and success viewpoint, while BC blackballed one program (UConn) and stabbed everyone else in the back (just ask PC, Hall & St. John's, Villanova, and G-Town about that Catholic school loyalty).

Reaction Score
BC is located along the eastern seaboard...the Atlantic Coast. How can you state that BC does not " fit in the Atlantic Coast Conference", when Uconn, a New England school, is currently attempting to get into a league located primarily in Texas, and in the Southwest portion of the US ?
By that logic the ACc should get URI on the phone. They clearly belong.

And then maybe BC would steal an ACC win for a change...

Reaction Score
BC blackballed one program (UConn) and stabbed everyone else in the back (just ask PC, Hall & St. John's, Villanova, and G-Town about that Catholic school loyalty).

BC voted " yes " to Uconn's initial invite to the BE... voted " yes " to Uconn's invite to Hockey East.... and " yes " to playing Uconn Basketball and Uconn football again ( despite the public opposition from Jim Calhoun for Uconn and BC to schedule games again ). The lawsuit was a very bad decision on the part of Blumenthal, imo.,, It poisoned the waters, and made Uconn a pariah around the country, imo . Its not politically saavy to attempt to extort and intimidate other schools into a league invite even if there can be a case that such was warranted, imo. As for " Seton Hall" , et al, I don't really care about this " Catholic loyalty " biz, as Catholics are divided among themselves on 15 thousand issues that they can't seem to agree upon.... even on their Beliefs... so that stuff really does not concern, not interest me.

Reaction Score
Actually that narrative we oftentimes hear is not true, imo. For example, this thread topic on BC has almost as many views as does the Uconn- Syracuse game thread. These view numbers don't lie Also,. BC 's home attendance for football games exceeds that of Uconn the last few years. Do we say then that " nobody cares about Uconn football in Hartford and in Connecticut then " ? No. Because that would be a inaccurate assessment as well if put forth. What we can say is that Boston is not a college sports loving town. Folks in Boston mostly consider college sports the minor leagues... the feeder system to the Pros. As such, BC ( and Uconn ) are a mere tiny blimp on the sports radar screen in Boston. This much seems an accurate assessment to me, anyway. I should know about the comparative interest. I was born and raised in Boston and have spent over half a century there ( before retiring to Florida 2 years ago ).
That theory is well and good until it comes to the sport of hockey

Reaction Score

Since 2010, which covers UConn in the old Big East and the AAC (2013 was the start of the AAC), BC's average attendance has been 33,095 and UConn's has been 31,034. So decades of my experience in 'big time' college football lifted high by Doug Flutie and playing a much better home schedule (Florida St versus Central Florida), has resulted in BC having an average attendance of 6.23% more than UConn. Wow. Oh, between 2010 and 2012 when UConn was in a better conference with more natural rivals, BC's average attendance was 1.5% more than UConn's. Very impressive.

face.jpg

PS - Lived in and around Boston for 15 years and outside of the Beanpot and the football team when Ryan was the QB, UConn basektball (men and women) got more press on Chanel 5 that BC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think mostly it's cultural. BC fits well enough with Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland (before they left) Duke and Miami. Maybe UVA. BC doesn't fit with the culturally southern schools in the ACC. I mean, Hockey is the most popular sport at BC.
I'm not saying UConn fits well in the Big XII, it doesn't. It isn't horrible, but certainly not ideal.

BC really blew it by working against UConn to the ACC. Nothing could have helped BC more than a truly local New England rival in the league. I'm a Boston area resident too, married to a Boston lifer...the myopia in the Hub is extreme. Bostonians can't see anything beyond maybe New York, and things get cloudy outside of 495. Winston Salem NC or Tallahassee might as well be on Neptune.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Since 2010, which covers UConn in the old Big East and the AAC (2013 was the start of the AAC), BC's average attendance has been 33,095 and UConn's has been 31,034. So decades of my experience in 'big time' college football lifted high by Doug Flutie and playing a much better home schedule (Florida St versus Central Florida), has resulted in BC having an average attendance of 6.23% more than UConn. Wow. Oh, between 2010 and 2012 when UConn was in a better conference with more natural rivals, BC's average attendance was 1.5% more than UConn's. Very impressive.

View attachment 15771

PS - Lived in and around Boston for 15 years and outside of the Beanpot and the football team when Ryan was the QB, UConn basektball (men and women) got more press on Chanel 5 that BC.

The like was for Ms. Maroney...kinda sweet on her.

Reaction Score
YW
my guy, class of 1977, thinks long term they will eventually downgrade the program and play Villanova. Holy Cross, UNH and so forth and focus on the easier rebuild of credibility in basketball.
With all due respect, " your BC guy " is wrong in his assessment that BC will quit the ACC and join the Patriot League or some such anytime soon. Thats laughable frankly. First off, the money the school gets from its participation in the ACC and its TV revnues, bowl game revenue sharing, etc supports all the myriad of dozens of other non revenue producing sports at BC for its student athletes there. BC will not be joining the Patriot League anytime soon, so lets put that silly nonsense aside, as its a non starter for any intelligent discourse, really. Deep down, I don't think even you believe that silliness that " your BC guy " is telling you re. BC eventually giving up the ACC for the Patriot League and Holy Cross et al.

Reaction Score
BC as a small urban Catholic school without a dominant sports program that the others cared about was never a good fit in a league of southern public schools. I know they try to say they are just like Duke or Wake but both are major research institutions on a level BC can only dream about. Not to mention their medical schools hospitals and elite grad schools. It was never a good fit. Syracuse and Pitt help a bit but not much and Loiusville is, well, yuck. Just yuck. But what that showed for sure was the southern focus despite the Pitt and Syracuse adds.

Reaction Score

BC really blew it by working against UConn to the ACC. Nothing could have helped BC more than a truly local New England rival in the league.
We just read above from a Uconn poster the BC is no longer a " New England based " University. I agree with that posters assessment on the whole. The fact that most BC student come from outside of NE now, means that these students do not care about a " rivalry " with a regional game that they have no regional connection with to begin with. A BC student from Illinois for example, would be more inclined to want to see BC play a midwestern school, if their choice was that, or another college in N.E. BC will never become a football " rival " with Uconn, for the simple reason that both school's alums, fans, student body do not, and will not, see it that way. Its like Diaco foolishly attempting to make Central Florida, Uconn's football " rival ". It can't be done. It can't be manufactured, unless both parties are alike as schools, and in its student body make up. Umass football has more interest in Boston than Uconn football does, and for obvious reasons ( geographic ). Syracuse will become BC's football " rival" as both schools are Private Universities with many in its student body from outside its states borders, and both have football histories playing against one another that go back decades and long before even the BE was formed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all due respect, " your BC guy " is wrong in his assessment that BC will quit the ACC and join the Patriot League or some such anytime soon. Thats laughable frankly. First off, the money the school gets from its participation in the ACC and its TV revnues, bowl game revenue sharing, etc supports all the myriad of dozens of other non revenue producing sports at BC for its student athletes there. BC will not be joining the Patriot League anytime soon, so lets put that silly nonsense aside, as its a non starter for any intelligent discourse, really. Deep down, I don't think even you believe that silliness that " your BC guy " is telling you re. BC eventually giving up the ACC for the Patriot League and Holy Cross et al.
The fact that you bring up bowl game revenue sharing is completely laughable! BC is the leech of the ACC...haven't won a conference game since November 29, 2015 against Syracuse! BC is a complete embarrassment @Yawkey Way! I'm sure if they took a vote in the ACC tomorrow they would tell your precious school to pack your and don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out! Funny thing is..it doesn't look like you will be adding to any of the Bowl revenue sharing $$ any time soon either!

Reaction Score
BC voted " yes " to Uconn's initial invite to the BE... voted " yes " to Uconn's invite to Hockey East.... and " yes " to playing Uconn Basketball and Uconn football again ( despite the public opposition from Jim Calhoun for Uconn and BC to schedule games again ). The lawsuit was a very bad decision on the part of Blumenthal, imo.,, It poisoned the waters, and made Uconn a pariah around the country, imo . Its not politically saavy to attempt to extort and intimidate other schools into a league invite even if there can be a case that such was warranted, imo. As for " Seton Hall" , et al, I don't really care about this " Catholic loyalty " biz, as Catholics are divided among themselves on 15 thousand issues that they can't seem to agree upon.... even on their Beliefs... so that stuff really does not concern, not interest me.

Blumenthal was and still is an attention seeing fool who will do anything to get more PR and more votes regardless who he damages in the process. We agree on that.

As for being a pariah, only BC and Miami seemed to take that suit personally, although the same schools had no problem accepting Pitt even if they signed-off on the same lawsuit. As for 'poisoning the waters' nationally, that had more to do with UConn's former Provost, Mr. Emmert, who almost personally tanked the UConn 2000 building initiative; but, ran out of town before he could be fired. He developed a personal vendetta against UConn, especially Calhoun. Just look what UConn did and was penalized for and compare that to what Syracuse did and was penalized for or, better yet, what Miami, Louisville, and UNC have done and have not been penalized for.

As for conference voting, UConn was no threat to BC back 1979 and was a founding member of the Big East along with BC. When Big E football was formed, UConn (and Villanova) had an open invite to join the conference in football. UConn accepted, Villanova did not. There was no vote. Adding UConn to Hockey East and then agreeing to play football again (UConn has continued to play BC in Olympic sports since BC left for the ACC, just to cost effective not to) were all agreerd to by parties at both Universities who were not there when this mess started.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We just read above from a Uconn poster the BC is no longer a " New England based " University. I agree with that posters assessment on the whole. The fact that most BC student come from outside of NE now, means that these students do not care about a " rivalry " with a regional game that they have no regional connection with to begin with. A BC student from Illinois for example, would be more inclined to want to see BC play a midwestern school, if their choice was that, or another college in N.E. BC will never become a football " rival " with Uconn, for the simple reason that both school's alums, fans, student body do not, and will not, see it that way. Its like Diaco foolishly attempting to make Central Florida, Uconn's football " rival ". It can't be done. It can't be manufactured, unless both parties are alike as schools, and in its student body make up. Umass football has more interest in Boston than Uconn football does, and for obvious reasons ( geographic ). Syracuse will become BC's football " rival" as both schools are Private Universities with many in its student body from outside its states borders, and both have football histories playing against one another that go back decades and long before even the BE was formed.

You miss two key points here. As BC becomes less "Boston"...Boston residents remain pretty "Boston", and care less about BC. Also, those same Boston residents who aren't BC students or alumns, do care about regional teams. The average Bostonian is less likely to adopt BC as a team to follow when they play far flung southern schools. These two factors, plus piss poor on field/court success, have hurt the BC sports following in Boston except for Hockey, where they do play local teams and often recruit local kids.

Reaction Score
The fact that you bring up bowl game revenue sharing is completely laughable! BC is the leech of the ACC...haven't won a conference game since
BC has been in more ACC League Championship games since joining the ACC... in football, basketball, and the other ACC sports...than more than half the ACC schools. Sure its in a down period in football and basketball at the moment, but these things go in cycles. I don't know how old you are, but I have seen BC lose to Umass in football in a winless season, and beat #1 ranked teams, and everything in between. its a rollar coaster ride. Newbies here that are Uconn football fans will encvounter no doubt the high and the low years too. Were the Pasqualoni years at Uconn football definitive of Uconn football ? I'd imagine you say " no " as well. And you'd probably be right.

Reaction Score
BC as a small urban Catholic school without a dominant sports program that the others cared about was never a good fit in a league of southern public schools.

I agree with you to the extent that ALL these leagues in Div.1 make little to no sense at all anymore in terms of their configuration. ( Only the Ivy League configurations make sense from a cultural, student body, athlete, configuration, imo ). BC was once in a BE with West Virginia ( and vice versa). Uconn is currently in a league of cultural misfits too ( Southern Methodists ? )... and attempting to join a league based in the Southwest region of the country, that has Oklahoma State, West Virginia, etc in it. What common cultures do residents of Connecticut have with Texans ? Not much, to my way of thinking. BC thus is no less a fish out of water with schools located on the east coast, than Uconn... a N.E. school... would conceivably be in a college sports league primarily based in Southwest Texas.

Reaction Score
BC has been in more ACC League Championship games since joining the ACC... in football, basketball, and the other ACC sports...than more than half the ACC schools. Sure its in a down period in football and basketball at the moment, but these things go in cycles. I don't know how old you are, but I have seen BC lose to Umass in football in a winless season, and beat #1 ranked teams, and everything in between. its a rollar coaster ride. Newbies here that are Uconn football fans will encvounter no doubt the high and the low years too. Were the Pasqualoni years at Uconn football definitive of Uconn football ? I'd imagine you say " no " as well. And you'd probably be right.
Let's put it this way I'm old enough to remember what you are talking about. I'm also smart enough to know that until BC builds a stand alone football practice facility everything you just mentioned is going to be a pipe dream. The BC job has to be on of if not the worst P-5 job in the country. You have a President who could care less about athletics, a AD who is proving to not be very good at what he does (if he was he would have been a finalist at his alma mater), a program that gets little to no support form the administration and has the worst facilities in their league (the present head coach has been complaining about lack of facilities since he took the job, and the hollow proposal to build a new facility is just that..hollow) with no help coming! I'd say BC is more like a plane in a nose dive crashing into the ground than a roller coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom