BC’s Hafley takes job as Packers DC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BC’s Hafley takes job as Packers DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much as I despise Mike Farrell, he hit it out of the park with his commentary on Sirius-XM this morning as the guest of Childers & Neuheusel. He said that BC will be irrelevant in the future because they have a small non-caring fan base. What fans they DO have don't like fighting the traffic on Commonwealth Ave., & if they choose to attend the games, arrive late in the first quarter & leave starting in the Mid-third quarter. The won't be able to attract great coaching going forward & should be satisfied with a .500 season record,
Then, he piled on & said that the same fate awaits Rutgers once Schiano leaves.

Priceless!

Rutgers has more upside: NJ high schools and BiG money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You despise Mike Farrell because why, he was often critical of UConn recruiting and"down starred" our recruits in favor of BC talent? A three star UConn guy could become a four star when he flipped to BC? I remember that. But if he was such an un-informed, biased jerk he wouldn't have earned the bonafides to have this platform on Full Ride. Sometimes the truth hurts and then it motivates change. And yet he's been a pretty well respected talent evaluator. I've listened to him on that show and initially was surprised (as you likely were) at his depth of knowledge and at all the accolades he got from the hosts. After hearing him on a few episodes, I've found him candid, entertaining and very well informed on a vast number of players--with logic based opinions on their talent. The question now is what would he say about UConn if he was asked by the Full Ride folks? And if he did I think I'd be more likely to cut him some slack. And I bet so would you.

I always have respect by those who pulled themselves up.

Give Farrell credit for being a kid who didn't play sports, didn't have parents to hook him up, had no advantages of his HS or hometown, and had to start from scratch.
Regardless of how dismissive he was towards UConn football, across college football he's earned respect.

Reaction Score
Do you realize there are 31 colleges and universities playing football in Massachusetts? That is more than Florida 19, Georgia 19, South Carolina 15, Tennessee 18, Arkansas 13, Louisiana 12, Mississippi 10... Texas has 42, but has 4x the population as Massachusetts. So, there are more kids playing college football in Massachusetts than in Florida and Georgia.

BC's last 3 coaching hires over the past 15 have not been good and Fr. Leahy has allowed athletic mediocrity. Leahy is 75 so he will be gone soon. The other problem with BC is that it is not the state flagship so the average fan is not going to get behind them. That is why the greatest college football upside in New England is with UConn, just like it was in basketball. UConn when given the chance in the BE showed they can compete. We just need another chance.
I have never understood this “flagship” stuff. URI is the flagship of Rhode Island and ZooMass for Massachusetts. So what? This is not the South or Midwest where people have pride in their state. Sadly, very few non-alumni of our great school care that much. As the post above noted, BC and other eastern schools will have a tough time competing against SEC and Big 10, but we are in even worse shape. Did you notice the protests on campus last week about the UConn budget cuts? We are on thin ice across all departments.

Reaction Score
there will be fewer and fewer coaches who are going to want to deal with the current NIL culture. The new up and coming coaches wont be those who have a new approach to offfense or defense…it will be those who can negotiate best with kids and donors.

I wonder how long Mora will stick it out. He is already frustrated.
Yeah, my guess is one more season

Reaction Score
I have never understood this “flagship” stuff. URI is the flagship of Rhode Island and ZooMass for Massachusetts. So what? This is not the South or Midwest where people have pride in their state. Sadly, very few non-alumni of our great school care that much. As the post above noted, BC and other eastern schools will have a tough time competing against SEC and Big 10, but we are in even worse shape. Did you notice the protests on campus last week about the UConn budget cuts? We are on thin ice across all departments.
Large numbers of Connecticut residents care about UConn athletics. The politicians, Governor, legislature, ... care. My dad took us to our first UConn football and basketball games and he didn't attend UConn. Some of my friends who are rabid UConn fans didn't go to UConn. That is so unlike UMass as most residents and the politicians couldn't care less about UMass athletics and I would guess few have ever been to a UMass game.

UConn has become one of the top basketball schools and if I told you that would happen 50 years ago you would have laughed at me. But, it happened. And UConn can do the same in football.

Reaction Score
Large numbers of Connecticut residents care about UConn athletics. The politicians, Governor, legislature, ... care. My dad took us to our first UConn football and basketball games and he didn't attend UConn. Some of my friends who are rabid UConn fans didn't go to UConn. That is so unlike UMass as most residents and the politicians couldn't care less about UMass athletics and I would guess few have ever been to a UMass game.

UConn has become one of the top basketball schools and if I told you that would happen 50 years ago you would have laughed at me. But, it happened. And UConn can do the same in football.
In parts of the state. It's not a statewide thing. Litchfield and Fairfield county don't give a crap about UConn

Reaction Score
In parts of the state. It's not a statewide thing. Litchfield and Fairfield county don't give a crap about UConn
Really? Let's look at the students and alumni from some Fairfield County towns:

Stamford 1,064 students, 5,115 alumni
Bridgeport 541 students. 1,322 alumni
Norwalk 474 students. 2,805 alumni
Fairfield. 375 students 2,319 alumni
Trumbull. 357 students. 1,737 alumni
Greenwich. 357 students 1,424 alumni
Danbury. 288 students. 1,254 alumni
Westport. 124 students. 749 alumni

Reaction Score

Been trying to go big time in football since 2014 and result is 10 embarrassing years. And with the financial landscape changing it will be even harder

Reaction Score

We moved to Trumbull 30 years ago and the perception of UConn has changed tremendously over that time. UConn 2000, which improved both the infrastructure and academic standing of the school, made a huge difference in my opinion. Affordability and value for the education dollar have also pushed more of the middle class toward the state flagship. When we first got here any student in the top 1/2 or so of the class could pretty much count on admission and it was almost unheard of for anyone in the top 10 of the class to go to Storrs. In recent years it's been closer to the top 1/4 getting in (with some others getting into the regional campuses) and a larger percentage taking the offer. We've also seen multiple kids at the top matriculating at UConn. I suspect that pattern is common throughout the county, although at reduced levels in wealthier towns.

Reaction Score
Been trying to go big time in football since 2014 and result is 10 embarrassing years. And with the financial landscape changing it will be even harder
Disagree. UConn did not put in maximum effort to go big time in football over those years. And, the coaching hires were atrocious, PP, Diaco, Edsall 2.0. Think about this. PP was hired 11 years after being fired at Syracuse for being stale! Until Mora was hired, I don't feel that any UConn leader stood up and explained to the fan base/boosters why football was important and what it would take to be successful. That is the complete opposite from what Cincinnati and UCF did and they are now in the Big 12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would say FF County enjoys the UConn BB story- but the interest level is somewhat casual as most are grads from other schools.

It will take another two generations to really move the needle on the coast. Trend is up- that is good.

Reaction Score

And how many of them graduate and then go to games or follow the programs? Heck most kids don't even go to games when they're in school. These numbers don't tell you anything

Go poll people and ask who the starting quarterback is. No one has any idea.

Reaction Score
And how many of them graduate and then go to games or follow the programs? Heck most kids don't even go to games when they're in school. These numbers don't tell you anything

Go poll people and ask who the starting quarterback is. No one has any idea.
I get your points. UConn has been bad at football for a long time and people are skeptical/negative. That said, UConn is one magical football season away from being more relevant in Connecticut and on the national scene. Did anybody go to the games or know any of the women's basketball players until Geno and winning came along?

I like to use Penn State as an example when looking at UConn football. (UConn will not be Penn St., but the growth of the fan base provides some understanding of what can happen.) Penn St. took decades of winning to build their fan base. Penn St.'s stadium held 30k fans until Beaver Stadium was built in 1960 which had a capacity of 46k fans until 1972. Since then, they have steadily added on.

Just win. It really is that simple.

Reaction Score
You'll see plenty more of this IMO. College Head Coaches who desire to coach football, jumping to NFL Positions in order to sidestep the constant drama of the Transfer Portal + NIL Era. While I don't feel bad for millionaire head coaches, I can't imagine having to put up with the 24/7/365 BS of the Transfer Portal. Combine that with the constant schmoozing of parents, HS Coaches, AAU Coaches, Private QB Coaches etc. all with their hands out offering to deliver players for a price.

Reaction Score
I get your points. UConn has been bad at football for a long time and people are skeptical/negative. That said, UConn is one magical football season away from being more relevant in Connecticut and on the national scene. Did anybody go to the games or know any of the women's basketball players until Geno and winning came along?

I like to use Penn State as an example when looking at UConn football. (UConn will not be Penn St., but the growth of the fan base provides some understanding of what can happen.) Penn St. took decades of winning to build their fan base. Penn St.'s stadium held 30k fans until Beaver Stadium was built in 1960 which had a capacity of 46k fans until 1972. Since then, they have steadily added on.

Just win. It really is that simple.
Ok sure we can talk about future scenarios but when people say that the whole state is behind UConn, it's simply untrue. The vast majority of people do not care. I've talked to people that don't even know UConn plays FBS football

Reaction Score

So 15-20% of current UConn undergrads are from Fairfield Cty, interesting stat!!

Reaction Score
So 15-20% of current UConn undergrads are from Fairfield Cty, interesting stat!!
What does this have to do with sports? And are those numbers at Storrs or does it include the branches?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its a nice base. My personal experience is that UConn grads dominate public school teaching down here (as they should) and the under 35 crowd in other industries. It will take a lot more time for this group to rise to the decision making top of entities.

Again, trends are up (very good!) but it will take a lot more time to where this becomes a big endowment cha-ching.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok sure we can talk about future scenarios but when people say that the whole state is behind UConn, it's simply untrue. The vast majority of people do not care. I've talked to people that don't even know UConn plays FBS football
I happen to be more in your camp here. This is a parlor conversation that no one can prove out. And while perhaps we will refill the stadium again with winning football, there is more to it than that. Its about financial depth. Filling the stadium at $30 a seat is well short of filling the stadium and suites at premium pricing. Particularly the suite/prime seat pricing.

But no matter, lets get some winning football and go from there. Winning football is possible.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately a vast number of non UC alumni who support football are now living in S. Carolina + Florida. Today's younger generation prefer soccer over football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom