BC’s Hafley takes job as Packers DC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BC’s Hafley takes job as Packers DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unfortunately a vast number of non UC alumni who support football are now living in S. Carolina + Florida. Today's younger generation prefer soccer over football.
Youth flight is real....and meaningful.

Reaction Score
Youth flight is real....and meaningful.
Cyclical?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cyclical?

Nice upswing. Overall though, this state is well below the national avg on population growth over the past 20 years vs the nation. Our current leadership has stabilized the state, hopefully the improved recent trends continue. My own personal experience is that kids are choosing schools in the mid atlantic and south with intentions of staying there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Belichick to BC? Win / win. He continues to coach and an incredible amount of PR for BC. Recruiting. Fundraising. Why not?
The better question is "why?"

Reaction Score
Nice upswing. Overall though, this state is well below the national avg on population growth over the past 20 years vs the nation. Our current leadership has stabilized the state, hopefully the improved recent trends continue. My own personal experience is that kids are choosing schools in the mid atlantic and south with intentions of staying there.
A lot of people I knew that graduated 8-10 years ago were heading west. I'm surprised people are going to the south if they aren't retirement age. QOL below Virginia gets dicey unless you're looking for something like Miami

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In parts of the state. It's not a statewide thing. Litchfield and Fairfield county don't give a crap about UConn
I don't know about that. There are plenty of Fairfield County fans on The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. There are plenty of Fairfield County fans on The Boneyard.
I mean sure, but take 100 random people and see how much they care about uconn sports and then see how much they know. The western part of the state will poll well below central and eastern CT. At my company of 40 there is 1 other UConn fan. Most of these people don't even know another UConn fan besides me and my coworker

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I mean sure, but take 100 random people and see how much they care about uconn sports and then see how much they know. The western part of the state will poll well below central and eastern CT. At my company of 40 there is 1 other UConn fan. Most of these people don't even know another UConn fan besides me and my coworker
I can completely relate.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
On the subject of BC...and Syracuse, are we well served by their perpetual mediocrity? I used think so, but IDK anymore.... Northeast football needs a boost from somewhere.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that every single one of us wants bc to be bc, and muck this up, but ….

Going w/a BOB like hire is a likely train crash waiting to happen. Can u imagine that mountain of sunshine dealing with NIL and portal, not to mention 18 year olds and their parents. Good lord.

On the flip side, I hope we are circling their roster like a vulture.

Reaction Score
We moved to Trumbull 30 years ago and the perception of UConn has changed tremendously over that time. UConn 2000, which improved both the infrastructure and academic standing of the school, made a huge difference in my opinion. Affordability and value for the education dollar have also pushed more of the middle class toward the state flagship. When we first got here any student in the top 1/2 or so of the class could pretty much count on admission and it was almost unheard of for anyone in the top 10 of the class to go to Storrs. In recent years it's been closer to the top 1/4 getting in (with some others getting into the regional campuses) and a larger percentage taking the offer. We've also seen multiple kids at the top matriculating at UConn. I suspect that pattern is common throughout the county, although at reduced levels in wealthier towns.
I think some perception changed when UConn began rejecting Fairfield County kids.

Reaction Score
On the subject of BC...and Syracuse, are we well served by their perpetual mediocrity? I used think so, but IDK anymore.... Northeast football needs a boost from somewhere.
Yes, the bias is anti-northeast. We need programs to be good up here. A rising tide raises all boats.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes, the bias is anti-northeast. We need programs to be good up here. A rising tide raises all boats.

Yeah, or at least one program to be in the top 20 and finish there. Otherwise, this year after year of slog and mediocrity for all is not that helpful. Someone needs to have fun.

Reaction Score
there will be fewer and fewer coaches who are going to want to deal with the current NIL culture. The new up and coming coaches wont be those who have a new approach to offfense or defense…it will be those who can negotiate best with kids and donors.

I wonder how long Mora will stick it out. He is already frustrated.
I’m sorry but for the $$$ they will apply for the job.

Reaction Score
Do you realize there are 31 colleges and universities playing football in Massachusetts? That is more than Florida 19, Georgia 19, South Carolina 15, Tennessee 18, Arkansas 13, Louisiana 12, Mississippi 10... Texas has 42, but has 4x the population as Massachusetts. So, there are more kids playing college football in Massachusetts than in Florida and Georgia.

BC's last 3 coaching hires over the past 15 have not been good and Fr. Leahy has allowed athletic mediocrity. Leahy is 75 so he will be gone soon. The other problem with BC is that it is not the state flagship so the average fan is not going to get behind them. That is why the greatest college football upside in New England is with UConn, just like it was in basketball. UConn when given the chance in the BE showed they can compete. We just need another chance.
BCU has the history in football and it’s a Catholic school, hence they have a large Irish & Italian following. Their location in a great sports city is another big asset

Reaction Score
BOB to BC looks like a done deal. This is a game changer for BC. I can’t believe it is happening, this will make us completely irrelevant

Reaction Score
In parts of the state. It's not a statewide thing. Litchfield and Fairfield county don't give a crap about UConn
They do, but they’re further away. Less in person time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom