Baylor's Mompremier transfering | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor's Mompremier transfering

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't understand removing the players from the roster. They were part of the program and should not disappear with an I Dream of Jeannie blink.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Check the transfer page for lot's of talk on this....
Just my $.02, but I'm not a fan of the transfer page for big news changes. It's fine for kids leaving Dayton or some other "smaller" school, but when kids leave Maryland, Notre Dame, Baylor, etc, I think they deserve their own thread.

Maybe it's just laziness on my part, but I don't feel like trying to peruse thru 20 pages of comments to learn that a kid left a big name school... I'm very glad that people start threads like this, and the ones on ND and Maryland...

Reaction Score
Just my $.02, but I'm not a fan of the transfer page for big news changes. It's fine for kids leaving Dayton or some other "smaller" school, but when kids leave Maryland, Notre Dame, Baylor, etc, I think they deserve their own thread.

Maybe it's just laziness on my part, but I don't feel like trying to peruse thru 20 pages of comments to learn that a kid left a big name school... I'm very glad that people start threads like this, and the ones on ND and Maryland...

I don't disagree but in this case it was my subtle way of saying that we've already been talking about the same transfer for half a day with many comments given......I leave it up to the powers that be to decide whether threads should be merged.............

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Part of Official Press Release on Beatrice Mompremier transerring:

"Mompremier, 6-foot-4, is a former McDonald's All-American and Miami native. She was one of Baylor's best post players the last two seasons, and missed several games late in this season with an ankle injury and struggled to get back to form after she returned."

The italics are mine. After calling her one of the better post players the last two years, the release then decides to give tell us -- and Beatrice -- what they really feel as she leaves the gym.

Sometimes saying nothing is better than saying something.

Baylor women's basketball player Beatrice Mompremier granted release

This link was NOT the official release from Baylor. This was from the 247 sports site.

The release said:

"Sophomore post Beatrice Mompremier is no longer a part of the Baylor women’s basketball program and has been granted a release. Mompremier appeared in 32 games in 2016-17. She averaged 8.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per contest."

This was the analysis from the 247 sports site:

Mompremier, 6-foot-4, is a former McDonald's All-American and Miami native. She was one of Baylor's best post players the last two seasons, and missed several games late in this season with an ankle injury and struggled to get back to form after she returned.

What you posted in italics is improperly credited to Baylor as part of the official release when it is not.

Now, removal from the roster is petty. But I want to make sure we are accurate as to the pettiness. :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This link was NOT the official release from Baylor. This was from the 247 sports site.

The release said:

"Sophomore post Beatrice Mompremier is no longer a part of the Baylor women’s basketball program and has been granted a release. Mompremier appeared in 32 games in 2016-17. She averaged 8.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per contest."

This was the analysis from the 247 sports site:

Mompremier, 6-foot-4, is a former McDonald's All-American and Miami native. She was one of Baylor's best post players the last two seasons, and missed several games late in this season with an ankle injury and struggled to get back to form after she returned.

What you posted in italics is improperly credited to Baylor as part of the official release when it is not.

Now, removal from the roster is petty. But I want to make sure we are accurate as to the pettiness. :)

Carmen:

Thanks. Interesting. I'd give a full mea culpa, save for the fact that that the positioning of the "Here's the full release" leads into the one measly paragraph, then the analysis paragraph. Would like to blame it on my bi-focals but I don't wear glasses...Call me confused initially. :confused:.

There's one other thing that's petty....not having any sort of graciousness and wishing her well. If you put out a release announcing someone/anyone is leaving, it's not breaking your back to wish the person well....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I lean towards the fence of one category for transfers. To some degree, the sheer number of transfers -- and who is transferring -- are part of the story and I like to see them in one place, aided and abetted by Vowelguy's handy-dandy charts. And the big transfers, whether they're ND's or Maryland's, are usually in the latest section of the thread. Since most check this out daily, it's not hard to find what's current. Plus, I find surfing among a thread's stories easier than hopping between the separate threads. That's just my take.

Like Charlie, I'll (obviously) go along with the powers that be.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think this has been handled pretty well by the moderators - we have had individual threads for the big news transfers that have been allowed to run their course for a few days before getting rolled into the combined thread. And we have VowelGuy keeping his table up to date with frequent reposts so we have a nice summary of all the transfers and as they occur the new schools.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes. Cheap shot, and completely unnecessary. When a player decides to transfer, the school should thank her, wish her well and then shut the hell up.
Something tells me a certain short haired, quick tempered, competitive, jacket flinging person was not exactly thrilled to be losing a core player. Is it that surprising that they (she) wants to have the last word? As long as she grants Bea a release to a school Bea wants, I say "whatever". However if more sanctimonious drivel spouts from Waco, I will go full bore berserk.

Yes, it's always better to be magnanimous in this situations, like she was when Baylor lost to UConn in Nov in a great game and I only hope she corrects her ways in future quotes as I do feel she truly cares about these young women.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Something tells me a certain short haired, quick tempered, competitive, jacket flinging person was not exactly thrilled to be losing a core player. Is it that surprising that they (she) wants to have the last word? As long as she grants Bea a release to a school Bea wants, I say "whatever". However if more sanctimonious drivel spouts from Waco, I will go full bore berserk.

Yes, it's always better to be magnanimous in this situations, like she was when Baylor lost to UConn in Nov in a great game and I only hope she corrects her ways in future quotes as I do feel she truly cares about these young women.

The chances of her correcting "her ways" are pretty slim...to none, so you may as well go ahead and go berserk.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The chances of her correcting "her ways" are pretty slim...to none, so you may as well go ahead and go berserk.
Actually, what has subsequently come out is the quote was not Baylor's but 24/7Sports so I may have been a bit premature.
On a serious note, I know many good coaches try to review what needs improvement in their philosophy, and in Kim's case it is simply learning to stay calm when only one or two possessions go awry. She goes ballistic far too easy, either yanking players or yelling at players or getting technicals unnecessarily. Maybe the local sports/SID could innocently ask "so Coach Mulkey, while all the players are asked to work on their games during the offseason, what do you do as a Coach to improve your game?"...I know I have high hopes for it, but for some reason I do root for her. :confused:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, what has subsequently come out is the quote was not Baylor's but 24/7Sports so I may have been a bit premature.
On a serious note, I know many good coaches try to review what needs improvement in their philosophy, and in Kim's case it is simply learning to stay calm when only one or two possessions go awry. She goes ballistic far too easy, either yanking players or yelling at players or getting technicals unnecessarily. Maybe the local sports/SID could innocently ask "so Coach Mulkey, while all the players are asked to work on their games during the offseason, what do you do as a Coach to improve your game?"...I know I have high hopes for it, but for some reason I do root for her. :confused:
I would say that many of Kim's tirades are intentional, as are most of her technicals. There are very few things that she does that are not thought through. And she has said more than once that she was trying to get the refs attention or make a point by getting T'd up. I would say that Geno is the same in that manner when he goes "ballistic" and CD has to "hold him back."

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I would say that many of Kim's tirades are intentional, as are most of her technicals. There are very few things that she does that are not thought through. And she has said more than once that she was trying to get the refs attention or make a point by getting T'd up. I would say that Geno is the same in that manner when he goes "ballistic" and CD has to "hold him back."
Ok, NO freakin way she means all of them! Last years NCAA Elite 8 game she lost her mind and tossed her jacket, coming completely unglued and that cost her team! This years Baylor Senior Day comments and then the doubling down and trying to skate by without answering questions because she did an interview with Voepel? She had to be told by the administration she screwed up and do a press conference. I believe that side show caused the team to lose the Big12 Tourney. Her knee jerk yanking of players just led to Mompremier transferring and dumb both Cox and Chou's development. She was a feisty player who fed off of passion and adrenaline but you can't coach that way. I truly like and respect your posts on here but don't sell me she does this as a master plan, cause
1. She ain't that smart and
2. It ain't working.
She should have been in 3 more Final 4s if what you believe is true.

She has built one of the top 5 programs in the country in the last 16 years (top 3 in the last 7) and she should get in the HOF very soon, but my main point is she needs to be more self reflective, as Geno has (he even noted how he has mellowed).
On this point of her contrived Ts we may have to disagree...:)

Reaction Score
Ok, NO freakin way she means all of them! Last years NCAA Elite 8 game she lost her mind and tossed her jacket, coming completely unglued and that cost her team! This years Baylor Senior Day comments and then the doubling down and trying to skate by without answering questions because she did an interview with Voepel? She had to be told by the administration she screwed up and do a press conference. I believe that side show caused the team to lose the Big12 Tourney. Her knee jerk yanking of players just led to Mompremier transferring and dumb both Cox and Chou's development. She was a feisty player who fed off of passion and adrenaline but you can't coach that way. I truly like and respect your posts on here but don't sell me she does this as a master plan, cause
2. It ain't working.

She has built one of the top 5 programs in the country in the last 16 years (top 3 in the last 7) and she should get in the HOF very soon, but my main point is she needs to be more self reflective, as Geno has (he even noted how he has mellowed).
On your two main points:

1. Kim Mulkey actually is pretty smart. Check out her academic record. She was her high schools valedictorian, and had a 4.0 gpa. She was a collegiate academic all-American. She was a good student.
2. I agree the master plan ain't working. Her plan is certainly not to bail out in the elite eight every year.

Too emotional, for sure. Stupid, no way.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
On your two main points:

1. Kim Mulkey actually is pretty smart. Check out her academic record. She was her high schools valedictorian, and had a 4.0 gpa. She was a collegiate academic all-American. She was a good student.
2. I agree the master plan ain't working. Her plan is certainly not to bail out in the elite eight every year.

Too emotional, for sure. Stupid, no way.
Absolutely a fair point. I am not saying she is stupid, I am countering our colleague ETT claim that Kim is following this master thought out plan for motivating players. So your claim is she is "book" smart I agree with, is she smart enough to modify her approach to get back to the final 4 with this talented team after dominating all regular season? I hope so. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
2. It ain't working.

I said "many" and the last I checked, "many" is not a synonym for "all."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that much of what Kim does on the technicals front is intentional and she has her own style and she is a very smart woman. That said, for some time now I have thought that her emotional fire on the sideline is great when her team is playing well or making a big comeback and the team feeds on her energy, but ... when things are not going well it is a detriment as it seems to distract her from actually coaching and making adjustments, and it seems to add to the teams disarray. Whether a calmer Kim would actually change the outcome is unknowable, but a manic Kim seems to create more pressure and anxiety within her players.

And I also think any coach that goes as berserk as Kim does over every play in a tight game ends up simply being tuned out by the refs so they don't even notice the times she has a valid point. She got that famous coat throwing T in a very unspecific moment for example - if instead she had waited until a particularly bad call and nailed the ref who made the call, she might actually have gotten them all thinking and gotten her team a 'make-up' call in the next few minutes, or made them think before making a similar call later.

Geno used to have more 'moments' on the sideline than he does now, but they were all pretty specific and he seldom rode officials constantly or was histrionic on the sideline for a whole quarter, half, or game. Now he may have half a dozen outbursts a season, and I don't remember the last 'T'.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree that much of what Kim does on the technicals front is intentional and she has her own style and she is a very smart woman. That said, for some time now I have thought that her emotional fire on the sideline is great when her team is playing well or making a big comeback and the team feeds on her energy, but ... when things are not going well it is a detriment as it seems to distract her from actually coaching and making adjustments, and it seems to add to the teams disarray. Whether a calmer Kim would actually change the outcome is unknowable, but a manic Kim seems to create more pressure and anxiety within her players.

And I also think any coach that goes as berserk as Kim does over every play in a tight game ends up simply being tuned out by the refs so they don't even notice the times she has a valid point. She got that famous coat throwing T in a very unspecific moment for example - if instead she had waited until a particularly bad call and nailed the ref who made the call, she might actually have gotten them all thinking and gotten her team a 'make-up' call in the next few minutes, or made them think before making a similar call later.

Geno used to have more 'moments' on the sideline than he does now, but they were all pretty specific and he seldom rode officials constantly or was histrionic on the sideline for a whole quarter, half, or game. Now he may have half a dozen outbursts a season, and I don't remember the last 'T'.

When you lose a game every three years what do you have to be upset about? :D

Reaction Score
She might have bowed out in all those e-8 games but she had a "punchers" chance in every one of them,and she is smart enough to always throw those expensive jackets to someone who gives them back to her.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Baylor goes from having amazing front court depth (Davis, Cave, Cox, Mompremier and Brown) to only having Brown and Cox. Brown plays Center; that's that. Who is her backup if Cox is playing at power forward? Cohen can play PF, I suppose. Otherwise, Baylor could be forced to bring Cox off the bench depending on who of Brown or Cohen needs a spell or gets in foul trouble first.

I guess Baylor could go small with only one true post player on the court at a time. It's not so much that Mompremier's transfer hurts in and by itself, it's that when you combine it with the senior front court departures it just makes Baylor such a different team than last season with no frontcourt depth.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Baylor goes from having amazing front court depth (Davis, Cave, Cox, Mompremier and Brown) to only having Brown and Cox. Brown plays Center; that's that. Who is her backup if Cox is playing at power forward? Cohen can play PF, I suppose. Otherwise, Baylor could be forced to bring Cox off the bench depending on who of Brown or Cohen needs a spell or gets in foul trouble first.

I guess Baylor could go small with only one true post player on the court at a time. It's not so much that Mompremier's transfer hurts in and by itself, it's that when you combine it with the senior front court departures it just makes Baylor such a different team than last season with no frontcourt depth.

That should bode well for the Longhorns, shouldn't it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom