Baylor vs. Mississippi State Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Baylor vs. Mississippi State Game Thread

Reaction Score
I wonder what happened to east texas trash. I'm sure he/she is not happy tonight, but they always had a lot of good commentary.

Reaction Score
Feel bad for Baylor's K Wallace. She is being thrown under the bus by a great portion of Baylor "fans". No single player should carry the burden of a team loss. Granted, she did not play well, but she is one reason Baylor achieved as much as they did the whole season. Furthermore, it is a team game. Others should have had to step up.

Reaction Score
Right here baby!!! How are u???
You remind me of that Bobby Goldsboro song, "See the funny little clown" and you don't seem to have any problem continuing to be the obnoxious, schnook whose mission in life is to aggravate as many people as possible, as often as possible and I'm wondering what'll happen if UConn wins their next three games and hoist that trophy! I'm sure you've got some other idiotic remark or comeback to provoke people. You actually sound like a dangerous guy because it seems that you crave attention and will do anything to get it. Right now you want to terrorize this board but maybe someday, that won't be enough for you.

Reaction Score
I'm always frustrated when people act like what we do is SO easy and such a foregone conclusion. Notre Dame and Baylor gone the same day. Real easy, isn't it?
It seems like deja vu, as both teams lost as No. 1 seeds last year prior to the Final Four. When you seemingly are the favorite to get out of your bracket and you continue to fall short, maybe you're doing something wrong!

Reaction Score
I said from the start Baylor was the biggest threat to unseat UConn and I thought they had the 2nd best team in the tournament. Unfortunately they have maybe the 15th best coach.
Jordy, when you speak of the team, you do have to factor in the Coach. In the late 80's Geno did so much without great players and even in the early 90's. Yet you have Kim doing so little with great talent. Beating seriously inferior teams but in crunch time, what? A team is only as good as their coach.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy, when you speak of the team, you do have to factor in the Coach. In the late 80's Geno did so much without great players and even in the early 90's. Yet you have Kim doing so little with great talent. Beating seriously inferior teams but in crunch time, what? A team is only as good as their coach.
I somewhat agree. But frankly sometimes in sports the team wins in spite of the coach, in spite of distractions, in spite of adversity. In the last few years Kim couldn't even do that. On the Lady Bears forum you've got some real disgruntled fans who are starting to realize, like Brenda Frese, talent unless well coached usually loses to lesser talented but well coached teams. As is also the case, the talented, best coached team that is playing the best at the right time almost always wins the championship.

Reaction Score
Clipboards though, whole different scene.
Unbreakable, recycled, get em by the dozen. Great for basketball!!
images

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I somewhat agree. But frankly sometimes in sports the team wins in spite of the coach, in spite of distractions, in spite of adversity. In the last few years Kim couldn't even do that. On the Lady Bears forum you've got some real disgruntled fans who are starting to realize, like Brenda Frese, talent unless well coached usually loses to lesser talented but well coached teams. As is also the case, the talented, best coached team that is playing the best at the right time almost always wins the championship.

When watching the game, I did not really appreciate how poorly Mulkey coaches and it was not until I looked at the Baylor Board where
I appreciated the insanely stupid way Mulkey play's defense. For a team so deep with shot blockers and physical players all over the place, you should be pressuring the ball at (almost?) every moment and push kids (Morgan Williams) off the 3 pt line. MSU only had 1 turnover prior to the 4th quarter I believe? It was the same in the WV game. Their defense was so passive for 3 quarters and when they actually played pressure defense, they cut into the lead big time before losing. We pressure the ball so much more than they do even with our short bench. Am I missing something? :confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
yup. But be careful what you wish for!

And let's remember that before the game, 538 gave MS an 11% chance of winning. That's one time in ten. I guess Baylor wins the next 9 in a row, huh? What crap.

Just don't like either team...a lot! And really like MSU.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When watching the game, I did not really appreciate how poorly Mulkey coaches and it was not until I looked at the Baylor Board where
I appreciated the insanely stupid way Mulkey play's defense. For a team so deep with shot blockers and physical players all over the place, you should be pressuring the ball at (almost?) every moment and push kids (Morgan Williams) off the 3 pt line. MSU only had 1 turnover prior to the 4th quarter I believe? It was the same in the WV game. Their defense was so passive for 3 quarters and when they actually played pressure defense, they cut into the lead big time before losing. We pressure the ball so much more than they do even with our short bench. Am I missing something? :confused::confused::confused:
Baylor has not had really fast or good defensive guards since Sims graduated - Perimeter defense has been their Achilles since Griner arrived, and Mulkey has never addressed it in game prep or in-game. Louisville started bombing away and they didn't adjust in that 'biggest upset' loss, and last night was no different. MSS has a lot of speed in the backcourt and likes to drive - if Baylor pressured those guards they would have been in the lane in a flash against the slower Baylor players and either making layups uncontested or dishing to the bigs when Brown came over.

Look at Baylor losses over the last 6 years without a FF and they are all to perimeter offenses/speed - OSUw, ND, MissSt, Uconn, OKSt, Louisville. Everyone looks at their bigs and trembles - teams that win look at their guards and attacks their weakness.

By the way - big props to Brown - she played all 45 minutes, something she could never have done last year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Baylor has not had really fast or good defensive guards since Sims graduated - Perimeter defense has been their Achilles since Griner arrived, and Mulkey has never addressed it in game prep or in-game. Louisville started bombing away and they didn't adjust in that 'biggest upset' loss, and last night was no different. MSS has a lot of speed in the backcourt and likes to drive - if Baylor pressured those guards they would have been in the lane in a flash against the slower Baylor players and either making layups uncontested or dishing to the bigs when Brown came over.

Look at Baylor losses over the last 6 years without a FF and they are all to perimeter offenses/speed - OSUw, ND, MissSt, Uconn, OKSt, Louisville. Everyone looks at their bigs and trembles - teams that win look at their guards and attacks their weakness.

By the way - big props to Brown - she played all 45 minutes, something she could never have done last year.

Thanks for the feedback. It seemed to me that Christy Wallace should be a good tough defender but maybe I am wrong. She got herself in foul trouble too quickly. Just curious if they are addressing this weakness in the 2017 class?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback. It seemed to me that Christy Wallace should be a good tough defender but maybe I am wrong. She got herself in foul trouble too quickly. Just curious if they are addressing this weakness in the 2017 class?
They have two highly rated guards and they have Chou this year, and I agree about Wallace who was neutralized early with fouls and then had a nightmare of a game when she got back in. Not sure about speed/defensive commitment from Chou who has seen limited minutes this year or the incoming recruits.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did you notice that UCLA only had 6 turnovers in Saturday's game against UConn?

It can happen to the best defenses every now and then.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hi. Just got up and haven't read anything previous. Mulkey stated that during the game before she had to go to a 2/3 defense. A defense they had not practiced. To me this is a major red flag. Why has her team not practiced a 2/3? More, if they haven't practiced a 2/3 they haven't practiced any of its variants such as the 3/2 (or triangle), diamond or box and one. What then do they practice? If you're not practicing zones and your teams are notorious for their lack of conditioning it sounds as if her practices are short and perfunctory, with not much teaching beyond keep your man in front of you and switch not here.

A pressure defense needs quick agile guards with speed. Mulkey doesn't have that. She has bodies but not a lot of athleticism front and back. A box and 1 and the 3/2 alternating with man 2 man would have had some success against William, but her team was not prepared to play those defenses. A guard who is having success against your guards off the dribble needs to see different looks and Mulkey clearly doesn't prepare her team(s) well enough to do that.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in one of the posts. She has too many players. You can only play 5 at a time, and you should have 3 reserves that play meaningful minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom