Baylor @ Texas - 2/19/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor @ Texas - 2/19/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
At least it was more interesting than the last game these 2 played.

Reaction Score
The fact that Cohen was an All-State performer in the state of SC and ended up in Texas really makes me sick to my stomach.
Head bangHead bang

they have better knishes in Austin................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
pretty easy to see Baylor's weaknesses.........attack Brown or Cox when they have the ball in their hands at the top of the key and just fast break them to death....

Reaction Score
The emergence of the Australian kid as a true force has totally changed the dynamic for Baylor. They pose major matchup problems for everyone now, UConn included. I like our favorite team’s chances to bring home#12, but it would be fine with me if someone along the way did us a Schoni Schimmel-like favor!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I get the distinct feeling that Baylor is a tough matchup for Texas, is a better team, is better coached, or some of all of these.

A little of all of them. Texas is not a very strong defensive team which is a death warrant going up against Baylor. I think they're too heavily reliant on guard play--you need to have reliable some front court scoring to take the pressure off the guards. Holmes hasn't been that presence this year, White is good but not elite, and Boothe is still in her own world. Realistically though, Texas could be a post oriented team in years to come. Next year their projected lineup may be:
G-Sutton
G-Higgs
F-Boothe (will need major improvement in team oriented play to be a starter, but the potential is there)
F-Collier
C-White
Rotation bench players: Hosey, Patterson, maybe Prince

I think a rematch in the Big 12 championship will be a comfortable Baylor win. They were the better team the first two matchups and I think they'll enter the tournament with just 1 loss.

Reaction Score
The emergence of the Australian kid as a true force has totally changed the dynamic for Baylor. They pose major matchup problems for everyone now, UConn included. I like our favorite team’s chances to bring home#12, but it would be fine with me if someone along the way did us a Schoni Schimmel-like favor!

she's been pretty good for a couple of years now but seems to have hit another gear...............Brown's emergence as a consistent offensive threat and better play from Cox are what separates them from other teams............it's going to take a really smart and determined defensive effort and some strong three point shooting to beat them...........hmmmmmmmmm trying to think of a team that fits that description.........

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched the games this weekend and last nite and does anybody play defense? Why are so many teams standing around, or dribbling around looking to pass the ball and their team mates arent moving? Why on defense are guards doing as they please and defenders arent slowing them down. How bout running a play? How bout defenses getting position?

IMO I like in order UConn ND Miss St Lville and Baylor. Texas played way over their head at home against us and lost. UConn didnt play well at all against Texas. Unless UConn plays very poorly they wont lose this year. To beat Baylor stop Wallace. Wallace imo is the key to their team. Right now I like the way ND is playing. They are not as good as past teams but they execute and have scorers which makes they tuff to defend and judging from the defense I saw the past 2 days they will be a tuff out. UConn when firing on all cylinders can blow out any team. When UConn is firing on all cylinders they still beat top teams without much concern. UConn has discipline and execution on both sides of the ball and no other team has it.

I really liked what Ive been seeing from UConns non starters. More playtime and more cohesiveness. Yeah theyre up and down a bit but they have improved alot. Irwin and Walker have looked more confident. Z needs a little tweeking but is still putting up numbers. Another couple of weeks will tell us alot about where are non starters are.

So going into the conference tournament we will gain alot of experience in preparation for the NCAAs. The dreaded Eastern Regional in Albany and I say dreaded because who wants to face UConn? Well this is the part of the season I absolutely Luv.

Reaction Score
Next year we flip --- Great strength in the front court, but will we have the guards to handle their part? There was great praise for Wallace last night, but announcers pretty much ignored Brooke McCarty, who scored 32 and kept Texas in the game. Even better than Wallace last night. We could surprise Baylor if we play them yet a third time. My immediate worry is a let down and letting OU or ISU beat us.

Reaction Score
Great game. Baylor was not shooting as well as they had the last two nights. I loved the fact that Kalani was out most of the 3rd quarter and yet they didn't cut into the lead any by the end of the quarter. It shows that no matter what 5 are on the court for BU they are threats. Saw things for us to work on, but all in all I liked what we saw. We only played 7 players with 4 of the 7 being freshman and sophomores. 8th straight reg season title and 9th overall.

Fun Fact: Last time someone other than BU won the reg season title, the freshman were around 8-9 years old.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
At least it was more interesting than the last game these 2 played.

It was also better than the previous broadcast game. FSU-Duke was really painful to watch. Neither team seemed to be on their A game, they both somehow managed to play poor offense and poor defense. Usually bad defense makes the offense look good and vice-versa.

I enjoyed the Baylor-Texas game. If White and Atkins had both stayed out of foul trouble the outcome might have been different. White actually looks good against mediocre competition, but against an elite center like Brown, she was obviously out of her depth.

Plus, Brooke McCarty and Kristy Wallace are just flat-out fun to watch. Neither one has an off switch as long as she's playing.

I'm with gamer in that Texas looked way better than the first time they played. If they meet a third time, they have a pretty good shot against Baylor.

Reaction Score
Baylor has beaten Texas twice but other than that their resume is Stanford minus McPhee, then #20Kentucky before we learned that they stunk, likewise WV, and Okl St. They remind me of a heavyweight boxer who is 25-0 with 22 knockouts that looks unbeatable until they get in the ring with an actual contender. If they end up a 2 seed they'll never get past the E8 because they have never had 2 tough games in any week, never mind 3 days.

Reaction Score
upload_2018-2-20_18-23-54.png

I'm sorry but I love this photo. It makes me laugh. Neither is impressed by the other and have the same looks on their faces.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It was also better than the previous broadcast game. FSU-Duke was really painful to watch. Neither team seemed to be on their A game, they both somehow managed to play poor offense and poor defense. Usually bad defense makes the offense look good and vice-versa.

I enjoyed the Baylor-Texas game. If White and Atkins had both stayed out of foul trouble the outcome might have been different. White actually looks good against mediocre competition, but against an elite center like Brown, she was obviously out of her depth.

Plus, Brooke McCarty and Kristy Wallace are just flat-out fun to watch. Neither one has an off switch as long as she's playing.

I'm with gamer in that Texas looked way better than the first time they played. If they meet a third time, they have a pretty good shot against Baylor.
Hmmm. In her post game on court interview, Duke's Lexie Brown was saying how great of a game they played and probably the best of the year. I guess her expectations are kinda low. So I am guessing that Lexie would disagree with you. :D

Reaction Score
Pretty good game last night. I look forward to seeing someone , really stop K. Brown.
Baylor will be a tough team for anybody.

Reaction Score
Just saw it. A very good game. One has to like the way the game was played, up and down, fast paced. All the Baylor naysayers who predicted a post Griner decline, thankfully, were wrong.

All in all, a very good night for women's basketball.

In a side note, I am still mourning the death of the old Big East. Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Rutgers. Just think of how exciting, meaningful, and unpredictable conference play would be. It is to UConn's credit that they have adapted and are able to still cob together a highly rated schedule; Especially since contracts are compiled/signed years in advance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
View attachment 28752

I'm sorry but I love this photo. It makes me laugh. Neither is impressed by the other and have the same looks on their faces.

How could they be friends or even cordial? They recruit from the same pool and their programs are always measuring themselves against each other.

Makes Geno / Muffet look like BFF's :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Hmmm. In her post game on court interview, Duke's Lexie Brown was saying how great of a game they played and probably the best of the year. I guess her expectations are kinda low. So I am guessing that Lexie would disagree with you. :D

A lot of people in the Duke-FSU thread disagree, too. Maybe I just wasn't invested enough in the outcome.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A lot of people in the Duke-FSU thread disagree, too. Maybe I just wasn't invested enough in the outcome.
I saw nothing exciting as I watched that game, so I was shocked by what she was saying.

Reaction Score
I saw nothing exciting as I watched that game, so I was shocked by what she was saying.

I found it a little boring, not going to lie. It lacked intensity. I think Florida St is better than I have seen them play.

Reaction Score
View attachment 28752

This photo says so much! I contrast to what I see in the PAC12 coaching fraternity. After the game the PAC12 coaches shake hands, compliment each other and their teams. In the handshake line I see kids from opposing teams hugging each other, and same with coaches hugging opposing players. Such a different vibe. I should point out that the PAC12 coaches, in their press conferences, call out the excellent play of the opposing team, in a genuine display of respect.

Reaction Score
Baylor has beaten Texas twice but other than that their resume is Stanford minus McPhee, then #20Kentucky before we learned that they stunk, likewise WV, and Okl St. They remind me of a heavyweight boxer who is 25-0 with 22 knockouts that looks unbeatable until they get in the ring with an actual contender. If they end up a 2 seed they'll never get past the E8 because they have never had 2 tough games in any week, never mind 3 days.
This statement rings true to me: "If they end up a 2 seed they'll never get past the E8 because they have never had 2 tough games in any week, never mind 3 days." This is why I believe the NCAA Tournament will be a struggle for Baylor...not because they don't have great talent, but Baylor hasn't been in enough difficult games, plus, played enough great defensive programs this year.

Reaction Score
This statement rings true to me: "If they end up a 2 seed they'll never get past the E8 because they have never had 2 tough games in any week, never mind 3 days." This is why I believe the NCAA Tournament will be a struggle for Baylor...not because they don't have great talent, but Baylor hasn't been in enough difficult games, plus, played enough great defensive programs this year.
Why are we still banging this drum? Baylor has played 9 games against top 25 teams according to Sagarin, going 8-1. Connecticut has 10 such games. Baylor has been tested and is ready for what might be thrown at them. I'm not guaranteeing a final four but the idea they won't make it because of a weak schedule is silly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom