Baylor-Tennessee game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Baylor-Tennessee game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
If shoving and nasty words exchanged is not fighting, I need to inform my mother she wrongfully punished my sister and I for "fighting" for all those years of our youth.

Does the NCAA rule book define "fighting"?

This is what has me baffled.. how is that not considered a fight? Just because I don't punch someone in the face doesn't mean I'm not fighting with them

Reaction Score
If shoving and nasty words exchanged is not fighting, I need to inform my mother she wrongfully punished my sister and I for "fighting" for all those years of our youth.

Does the NCAA rule book define "fighting"?

Very clearly:

Section 26. Fighting
Art. 1.

A fight is a flagrant 2 foul.
Art. 2.

A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other
team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is
used to combatively strike the other individual.
Art. 3.

When during a confrontation, an individual attempts to strike another
individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is
irrelevant. The perpetrator shall be deemed to have been involved in a fight.
Art. 4.

When during a confrontation, an individual uses unsportsmanlike acts or
comments which, in the opinion of the official, provoke the other individual to
retaliate by fighting, it shall be ruled that both individuals have been involved in
the fight.
Art. 5.

When a physical confrontation has occurred, the officials shall determine
the individuals who were involved in the fight or left the bench area to participate.
Art. 6.

A combative confrontation may occur when the ball is live, in which case,
it is a flagrant 2 personal foul; or when the ball is dead, and a flagrant 2 technical
foul shall be assessed.
Art. 7.

When during the course of play (live ball), an individual strikes an
opponent with the hand, elbow, arm, foot, knee or leg in a nonconfrontational
manner but the act is excessive or severe, it shall be ruled as a flagrant 2 personal
foul and not a fighting action. When a defined body part is used to strike an
opponent but the contact is not severe or excessive, a judgment shall be made by
the official as to whether the contact is a flagrant 1 personal foul.
Art. 8.

Anytime an individual uses a closed fist in an unsportsmanlike manner,
it shall be deemed that the individual has initiated a fighting act and shall be
penalized accordingly.
Art. 9.

When any flagrant 2 foul is ruled to be a fight, the fighting penalty shall
be invoked.

Reaction Score
agreed. the lady vols actually played griner really well. i was VERY proud of that...however, when their guards are draining threes like that there is nobody that can beat them. NOBODY
When a team throws everyone at one player and that player comes one block from a triple double, I'd hardly call that playing Griner very well. And when guards are left wide open to shoot, they are going to make a high percentage of their shots. Not a good strategy.

Reaction Score
Can’t for the life of me recall when that type of childish playground behavior took place during a UCONN women’s game. Maybe someone could jog my memory when players under GA acted like that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Can’t for the life of me recall when that type of childish playground behavior took place during a UCONN women’s game. Maybe someone could jog my memory when players under GA acted like that.

They don't.

When your success if predicated on emotion, like Tennessee, it's a double edged sword. It helps when things are going well, but you lose some control when things are going poorly.

Reaction Score
They don't.

When your success if predicated on emotion, like Tennessee, it's a double edged sword. It helps when things are going well, but you lose some control when things are going poorly.

How many similar alteractions have occurred in the last decade? 20 yrs?

Reaction Score

We can't all be like UConn now, can we?

Reaction Score
What makes no sense here is that there WAS a fight, and the players DID get involved.. not by fighting, but they were involved none the less
Kait I think you and I are the only ones who think there was a fight.

Reaction Score

A fight is only when you combatitively strike someone? Not shoving? That seems very wrong to me ....

Then again, i don't agree with the officiating so why would i agree with the rules they're supposed to enforce ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
When a team throws everyone at one player and that player comes one block from a triple double, I'd hardly call that playing Griner very well. And when guards are left wide open to shoot, they are going to make a high percentage of their shots. Not a good strategy.

I thought they did a decent job on Griner, especially in the first half. They held her to just 3-10 shooting with 8 points, while also forcing Baylor into a handful of turnovers as they tried to force it inside to her. If they had stuck someone to Sims' hip, They would have been well in the game at halftime. I would live with Baylor's other guards chucking threes if it meant Griner isn't getting touches and hitting layups and short jumpers in the post.

Reaction Score
How about Stefanie Dolson in the Louisville game? Isn't much difference in my opinion. Two players got physically tangled up and took exception. Only difference is the UConn players that were on the bench stayed there. You can bet that most UConn players would react to having their arm pulled like Sims did to Stricklen as evidenced by Dolson's reaction to having her arm pulled. There was nothing unusual about what happened outside of the players running onto the court and the importance of the game. It certainly wasn't a fight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How many similar alteractions have occurred in the last decade? 20 yrs?

I have no idea. What is your point? It must be something since someone likes your post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How about Stefanie Dolson in the Louisville game? Isn't much difference in my opinion. Two players got physically tangled up and took exception. Only difference is the UConn players that were on the bench stayed there. You can bet that most UConn players would react to having their arm pulled like Sims did to Stricklen as evidenced by Dolson's reaction to having her arm pulled. There was nothing unusual about what happened outside of the players running onto the court and the importance of the game. It certainly wasn't a fight.

Sims pulled her arm? She pushed it off of her stomach. And I didn't see anyone stand over Dolson like Stricklen did to Sims.

Reminded me of this.
thumbnail.aspx

Reaction Score
No, Suzy, you and Kait are not the only two. As UconnChapette mentioned earlier, I too should inform my mother how unjust and mistaken she was whenever she would send me and my sister to our rooms for "merely" mouthing and shoving each other.

This whole thing sort of reminds me of all those Business Law II cases I had to endure in college, when so many decisions were appealed due, often times, to semantics and different interpretations of the facts. I would hate to see any player being punished with a suspension at this stage of the tournament but, for me, what I witnessed last night was a "fight". Plain and simple.

I will, however, not judge others for viewing it as a "heat of the moment" or "too much emotion" event. Baring the occasional ulterior motive, I take most posts on this tread as a matter of different opinions and perspectives.

Reaction Score
I have no idea. What is your point? It must be something since someone likes your post.

You suggest that Tennessee is prone to these problems (and UConn isn't) ... and this is based on 1 incident in 20-30 years?

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

Ya.. I guess all the "fights" I've seen weren't really fights after all lol

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You suggest that Tennessee is prone to these problems (and UConn isn't) ... and this is based on 1 incident in 20-30 years?

I don't recall seeing UConn in these type if situations. But I have seen many many staredowns from Tennessee and over the top emotions. In my opinion, the over the top emotions lead to the staredowns. This was a biproduct of those emotions.

Reaction Score
I don't recall seeing UConn in these type if situations. But I have seen many many staredowns from Tennessee and over the top emotions. In my opinion, the over the top emotions lead to the staredowns. This was a biproduct of those emotions.

With the end result being 1 incident in 600+ games. Clearly a program out of control.

How many off-court fights have there been? UConn has one. Does that mean UConn recruits players with over-the-top emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom