Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The officials let a lot go all game long, including no-calls on Paige that had her on the ground several times. Christyn was fouled on that lay-up late in the game and no whistle.
Can't complain when it's the end of the game.

Reaction Score
This is a foul ...don't pretend you don't know it.

I wouldn't have cared if Carrington got leveled by Aaliyah and the refs didn't call it. If the refs are going to let them play then they have to let them play. It's that simple and Baylor could have iced that game down the stretch many times and couldn't do it. Just like UConn. Both teams played themselves into that position.

Reaction Score
Mulkey is really pissed at the last non-call, perhaps rightly, However, if this was typical of a badly officiated game, bad calls against UConn earlier could have put them ahead by a few more points at the end and made that last call meaningless. And who is to say that Baylor would have converted the free throws considering the low % up to then.

She should feel proud that Baylor did so well after the terrible injury.

Reaction Score
The turning point was the unfortunate injury to DiDi Richards. Without that and temporary Baylor collapse that followed it, I feel fairly confident the game would've gone differently.

There's nothing surprising nor uniquely outrageous about the possible missed foul on Carrington's last shot. 1) The refs were giving the benefit of the doubt to contact all day - many instances of contact on shooters that could've been fouls. 2) Refs are known to swallow whistles toward the end of close games. It's incredibly rare for UConn to have possibly benefitted from one of these moments, but it happens a lot.

The best way to avoid the possibility of refs swallowing whistles to your detriment is not to be trailing toward the end of a close game. Had Baylor recovered more quickly from DiDi not being on the court, they would've probably gone on to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
It was a foul, but she had just gotten the benefit of the doubt on two other foul calls in the last minute that were soft, while CW didn’t get either at the other end. The fast break layup was so completely a foul it was impossible to miss, and then the bump on the drive should have been called. Wouldn’t have come down to that play if the refs had a tight whistle at both ends (CW gets 3 FTs) or let them play at both ends (Carrington doesn‘t go 4-4 at the line to cut it to 1).

But I’d be pissed if I was a Baylor fan, no doubt.

Reaction Score
The last play was a foul. That said they didn't whistle a lot of fouls both ways all game. They clearly let them play at times. I'm okay with how it ended.

Lets be real fans will be fans. Baylor fans of course would be mad, UCONN fans would be mad too if the opposite happened. Its the nature of being fans and this competitive sport.

Reaction Score
I thought the game was really physical by Baylor. Carrington was bullying and swinging hard. Overall we took their punches and kept playing. Proud of the team for finding a way, especially a young team that has to dig out of a pretty big hole.

Note: Paige has to get the ball in late game situation free throws. Cannot let anyone else get the ball. On to FF.
Totally agree. It seemed like that OOB play was meant to go to Christyn all the way and not Paige. Head scratcher.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Congratulations to UConn.
They won the game Fair and Square.
Typical gentlemanly Baylor fan. I've seen quite a few here on the BY. Your team is damn good though. We'll be seeing each other again down the road. But I want to warn WCBB. You still have a chance to get these young ladies this year, and you'd better. Next year it's going to be way tougher. Congratulations to Kim as well. I've said many times on this board how much I like and admire her. Nothing in this game changed that opinion.

Reaction Score
Luck is for January games. This is just about surviving any way you can.
I hate to pick on word choice, but fortunate would be a better word. As pointed out, luck is in January. Skill, cunning and dare now hype to fortunate, in MHO.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
Genuinely thought that was reffed pretty well speaking as a neutral. At least the final quarter or so that I watched.

The standard of officiating is usually much worse than that.
Agreed

Reaction Score
I thought the refs let them play a little too much, and that worked to Baylor's advantage. They are a very very good defensive team as evidenced by minimal scoring by our bigs, and only two assists from our guards (vs. 8 turnovers). In fact at halftime the guards had zero assists, and they had to make some tough shots, while the bigs defended well even though they had trouble finishing.

Thought Paige, Christyn and Evina all looked gassed near the end. If Nika was available all of them could have been given a quick blow which might have helped down the stretch. Seems like we should have tried a little harder to work a play to get Paige the ball when we knew they had to foul.

But overall I agree with Lisinopril 10mg! Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom