Baylor Postgame Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Baylor Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
77935D6C-D0D3-4DB8-83AA-8C94E45FFA24.jpeg

Special little moment at the end of the game, two ballers

Reaction Score
I’m not marginalizing her contributions. But, comparing her absence to the player that Baylor lost is nuts. Nika is a solid player who deserved to start while Edwards was moving to a higher level of play. Now Edwards has become an extremely valuable piece of the puzzle. Especially tonight where UCONN needed big bodies. IMO Nika is 1st or 2nd off the bench now. And with the recruits coming in, she will have to play hard and well to keep that status. This doesn’t make her a bad player.
Would you accept Geno's decision on this? I'd wager that Geno will start Nika next game if she's available.

Reaction Score
Are all women’s games that poorly officiated? There are better refs at local rec leagues.
I actually thought it was a well officiated game. They let the players on the court decide. Reminiscent of a 90's Knicks/Bulls/Pacers NBA game

Reaction Score
Bueckers storybook season continues. I will say, as she gets more mature, she will understand that she must take control in end of game scenarios. Geno got mad at her on one of the final inbound plays because she ran away from the ball. An opportunity for growth will be to utilize player screens and movement to become available for the pass. We got lucky that two CW misses didn’t cost us. I’d guess that Bueckers would have knocked down some FTs and the late game controversial call wouldn’t have happened. I will say she has mastered the art of knocking down important shots. Just rewatch the 19-0 run or her personal 11 consecutive points against SC. I’ve never seen a uconn freshman knock down so many important shots in their biggest games.

Reaction Score
Didi Richards would have stopped a 19-0 run? When she left...Paige already had like 20! Calls are made in REAL TIME....not by your Iphone, folks! OH...and each team missed 7 free throws.

Reaction Score
I'm admittedly no expert, just a fan, but it does look like the UCONN players are holding their ground while the Baylor player has left her feet and is actually driving her body into AE and ONO to draw a foul. FWIW, people are saying AE fouled the Baylor player but her hand is clearly arched above the player's forehead and she does, in fact, have all ball. Ono's hand is another story but she's not exactly pile-driving her wrist into the Baylor player's elbow either. The way this game was called, that would have been a ticky-tack foul call IMHO. Perhaps under other circumstances, not so much tonight. I would say a tough call that somebody was going to be unhappy with. The bottom line is, refs are part of the game, like or or not. It's not fun to lose but the conspiracy theories and twitter nonsense are just that. People are quick to blame the other guy. How about, "we could have done this better or that better to win the game". A novel idea. I say we UCONN fans should raise the (Sue) Bird, leave the whiners behind, and hang another banner! This win is in the books! No ESPN or Antonelli is going to change the outcome. Kudos to the respectful Baylor fans chiming in on this board. And may Paige recover quickly form the mugging she took all game long.
Watch the video......not pics

Reaction Score
I want Nika in the game very much, but the 5 today seems to the team. Do you run Nika in & out, when Ono/AE have too many fouls? There are games....say Stanford, where we need 2 bigs - but if they can be lured into fouling.... Aubrey's defense against Smith was wonderful. UConns courage, toughness, & grit is most wonderful - & Geno's coaching in the tightest & toughest of games is incredible.
I don't agree. This team needs Nika. Nika is part of the 6. The six are much greater than the 5. Baylor was fortunate that she was out just as UCONN was fortunate their guard got hurt. Though UCONN still could've won anyways. And same with Naylor.

1-- It was no accident early on Edwards got into foul trouble (OT- the prior talk of her being better than Tuck as a frosh vs Tuck as a junior and senior please now that can be put to bed- though this isn't meant for you.).

2-- It was no accident later that Liv got into foul trouble.

***The more they play together vs an elite team the better the chance they are going to get into foul trouble just like tonight (what I mean is that it's not like one helps the other not get into foul trouble. They are both equally apt to commit quick fouls at the drop of a hat regardless if they play together or not.). You can't rely on "going big" throughout. Because-

And what happens when they are in foul trouble? They can't be as aggressive. Just saying "go big" imo isn't as easy as it sounds. They don't appear to have the temperament to be assured that they can avoid getting into foul trouble. Even in the last 10 seconds they just needed to put their hands up - that was a fall-away jumper she was taking.

3-- DId you see what Evina was doing early on? As talented as Evina is do you really think that they could shut her down so decisively throughout 3 quarters? She played 40 minutes. She was worn out. With Nika you are going to get better contributions from Evina.

Reaction Score
Just curious, is there a rule that player and coach cannot criticize the refs after the game w/o any penalty as it is in the pros?

Reaction Score
Baylor was the most difficult opponent in the NCAA field based on the strength of their bigs. Got past them.

Reaction Score
Love the post game presser about they needed to change the look on their faces when they got 10 down. Who called out her teammates on their down trodden look? The answer was ANNA, incredulously!
That kind of thing worries me because it says it's mental or a mindset thing rather than physical or talent mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom