Baylor Post Game Video Comments Prior To Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor Post Game Video Comments Prior To Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ms. Davis' struggles really go back to the game last year against Oregon State where Rueck decided to back off Davis daring her to shoot from 15. UConn did the same. Her outside shot has always been "funky". An unorthodox shot has more components than a smooth orthodox one, meaning more things that can go wrong, meaning inconsistency. Davis is only 5'11" and as a forward has taken advantage of her quickness up front for years. As Baylor has gotten bigger and teams began to pack the paint with their 2/3 zones her outside shot became more exposed. It seems in order to help that team it appears she has some work to do.
The Freshmen Nina Davis that played against UCONN was the leading rebounder in a game that featured Stewie and Stefanie Dolson. She wasn't a post player then and she isn't a post player now. Remarkably she has become a two time (probably 3) time All-American. For her size she should have developed a reliable jump shot by now and have better ball handling skills.
Who is most responsible for Nina's lack of development?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Freshmen Nina Davis that played against UCONN was the leading rebounder in a game that featured Stewie and Stefanie Dolson. She wasn't a post player then and she isn't a post player now. Remarkably she has become a two time (probably 3) time All-American. For her size she should have developed a reliable jump shot by now and have better ball handling skills.
Many who love Baylor complain that because of Mulkey's love of size Davis is becoming the odd woman out in their offense. Some say because of this her confidence and caring have been affected. Who's to blame for that horrible jump shot form? I see players like Epps of Kentucky who year after year seem to focus during the off season in improving their strengths (ball handling and passing) and neglecting their weaknesses (shotmaking) as both the responsibility of the staff and the player. Geno harps so much on that "So what else ya got" mentality that players constantly look to improve their weaknesses. It seems some coaches are too afraid of alienating their stars, too afraid of hurting their job security, antagonizing boosters and fans to point out some players weakness. On the other hand as Geno says, freshmen are basically lazy. Push them hard as freshman and sophomores and they'll push themselves harder as juniors and seniors. The player needs to take it upon themselves to see mirrors as a reality check not as a stroke machine.

Reaction Score
That statement is ludicrous. Nina Davis is not one who just shows up when she wants. She had a horrible game and I suspect that some of this has to do with the fact that Mulkey has made the decision that Brown and Mompremier are the players that she wants the ball going to and Davis is kind of the odd woman out. She did not come back this year prepared to shoot from the outside and therefore there will be times when she is not a big part of the offense. Last night was one of those nights.
Odd woman out?She's an all-american. 4 shots, 24 minutes, 2 rebounds and perhaps most telling zero personal fouls which tells me she wasn't in the game, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the BAYLOR IS BIG thread a couple days before the game!

Now we have Baylor.
And yes Baylor is a top ranked opponent coached by a really good coach, Kim Mulkey. They have a huge roster, Kalani Brown 6'7"/Khad Cave 6'3"/Lauren Cox 6'4"/Beatrice Mompremier 6'4", an ultra-athletic F, Nina Davis, and 3 pretty good G's in Alexis Jones, Alexis Prince and Kristy Wallace. But they are not a quick or fast team and are still not very strong beyond the 3 point line! So they must do their damage inside 12'.
Look for UCONN to play much of the game in a zone, which they used successfully vs FSU!
Their freshman, Lauren Cox if I'm not mistaken has been their top scorer in preseason, and I think Geno has worked out some plans for Miss Cox! Brown led the Bears with 25 points and 19 Rebs vs UCLA!
UCLA is no UCONN, even with the 1st game jitters the Huskies showed vs FSU they are a challenge for the Bears!
Uconn as I stated is fast and has many weapons both inside and out and I think the Bears will have as much trouble keeping up with the running Huskies attacking from all 5 positions as NYY Pitcher, Joba Chamberlain, had with the "midges" in Cleveland in 2007 both offensively & defensively!
Kia Nurse was terrible vs FSU in all facets of the game, even making a bonehead foul vs a 3 point shooter so we can bank on a return to normalcy for Ms. Nurse!
UCONN will win by 5 to 8+ points! Also taking into effect that the game is at Gampel, with 10,061 fans which is worth at least 10 points!

Every once in a while I have an epiphany and I treasure those few moments of clarity!

This was a HUGE game for UCONN, not just because it was #2 Baylor but it had all the makings of a bad night. A number of talented Bigs, three athletic G's and a fiery good coach in Kim Mulkey, who wanted to hand Geno & UCONN their heads on a platter!
But as has become the norm, the coaches and players stepped up big-time and it became a glorious night!
Things we learned about the Huskies of 2016-2017:
1. The only possible downer was Saniya might have taken a step backwards after a really good game at FSU!
2. After getting muti fouls vs FSU early and looking lost at times, vs Baylor Gabby got 2 quick fouls went to the bench but when she came back in she didn't get another foul and was an animal in the 2nd 1/2, scoring and her defense was awesome!
3. Crystal Dangerfield had a coming out party for herself in front of 9,475+ fans. 19 points plus rebounds, steals, assists, low turnovers, and ran the offense like MoJeff/Renee/Jen R/Bird/DT/ were resurrected! No freshman jitters here!
4. Natalie was a 6'5" BEAST in the middle, not so much scoring but taking up space and throwing her slimmed down body around, making it uncomfortable for Baylor's bigs to do business!
5. Katie Lou fought through some frustration early and found her comfort zone to score 16 points and be a force on defense!
6. Freshmen Molly & Kyla gave players a needed break and held their ground, not losing anything!
7. Collier had 10 points and 11 RB's and for 6'2" played much, much bigger! often nullifying 6'7" and 2 6'4" Baylor bigs!
8. Nurse started out as if FSU were the opponents than hit a big shot and played much better!
9. There was a fire down below deep in our girls guts that took them to places they need to be to have an outstanding season! Hopefully they'll bring that every game this season!
10. Geno and his staff are starting to trust these girls in crunch time to do their jobs!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones referred to us as UCONN as most players seem to do. But Kim said CONNECTICUT, not UCONN. When we beat Texas last year coach Karen Aston said CONNECTICUT. Brenda Frese said both UCONN and CONNECTICUT. I am of the opinion that the top coaches don't like to use the brand UCONN and it bothers me. I think it's a purposeful slight. I think it was Lauren Cox who made an alphabetical list of teams she was considering and put UConn at the tail end of that list. Maybe i'm being a little bit paranoid or overly sensitive; but there it is.
Uconn is actually a very recent change to the legal name for the state university in Connecticut - it has been around for ever as the nickname, but Uconn made the change over in the last 3-5 years. So like with people who grew up using my nickname before I changed to my given name later in life, the folks who have been around WCBB for a long time get 'grandfathered' into using the old name. No disrespect intended I think, just habit.

Reaction Score

Nina is. She has rested on her laurels rather than working to improve herself. End result; she's (largely) the same player today that she was three years ago.

The coach? No, because Nina chose Mulkey, knowing what her coaching style was. UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame, Louisville (etc, ad infinitum, ad astra) all have coaches for whom the status quo isn't good enough, so she went where it would be easier. IMO it seems that Coach Mulkey is willing to accept complacency in some players in return for Talent.

Except from her Daughter, of course, who she drove like a sled dog. If she could harness that and apply it to her other players...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones referred to us as UCONN as most players seem to do. But Kim said CONNECTICUT, not UCONN. When we beat Texas last year coach Karen Aston said CONNECTICUT. Brenda Frese said both UCONN and CONNECTICUT. I am of the opinion that the top coaches don't like to use the brand UCONN and it bothers me. I think it's a purposeful slight. I think it was Lauren Cox who made an alphabetical list of teams she was considering and put UConn at the tail end of that list. Maybe i'm being a little bit paranoid or overly sensitive; but there it is.
Geno says CONNECTICUT.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Nina Davis was to far out from the basket many times. The guards did not get her the ball around the basket, not Enuff. The few times they did get her the ball down low she was suffocated as were the bigs. The Bigs to many times played like they were in quick sand and couldnt move and when they did have the chance to move they tried to run over defenders thus getting called for fouls. IMO the Bigs need alot of work on fundementals like holding the ball, making a play without fouling, kicking it out when they are suffocated by the defense. The guards need to learn to kick the ball inside and when its kicked out wait for a big to get open and kick it inside again. The guards did most of the shooting and creating shots for themselves. This is where UConn is better. They have a bunch of ballhandlers who can move the ball and work as a team to create open shots. UConn runs the clock down because most defenses give up or break down after a certain period of time of playing defense. These things are taught and it takes alot of time to make them reflexive so you react to a situation and not think about it because many times when you have to think about it its to late, youve missed your opportunity. UConn hustled was too quick and was focused on what they were taught in practice. Baylor wasnt and that comes from good guard play. Baylors guards are good scorers but not good playmakers.

Reaction Score
I dunno. I sense that they got some unexpected defense from UCONN and just didn't know what to do. Lots of, "We'll look at the film." I really don't think she knows what happened to them yet.
I'm not Mulkeys biggest fan or largest detractor. If you just lost a game you were certain you'd win--and someone shoved a mike in your face--i personally would find any phrase to get me off camera and away from answering unanswerable questions.
I think those half time and immediate end of game interviews are offensive--it's a wonder coaches don't lose it and say @$%$%^^&& plus@#%^% up your's.

Reaction Score
Geno says CONNECTICUT.
Personally I like them using CONNECTICUT---that team represent the people of CONNECTICUT plus the University or UConn. --is it better to refer to Texas teams as the HORNS or Texas? or ND as ND or the Green Fuzz (ok that's a bit off)?

Reaction Score
Nina Davis was to far out from the basket many times. The guards did not get her the ball around the basket, not Enuff. The few times they did get her the ball down low she was suffocated as were the bigs. The Bigs to many times played like they were in quick sand and couldnt move and when they did have the chance to move they tried to run over defenders thus getting called for fouls. IMO the Bigs need alot of work on fundementals like holding the ball, making a play without fouling, kicking it out when they are suffocated by the defense. The guards need to learn to kick the ball inside and when its kicked out wait for a big to get open and kick it inside again. The guards did most of the shooting and creating shots for themselves. This is where UConn is better. They have a bunch of ballhandlers who can move the ball and work as a team to create open shots. UConn runs the clock down because most defenses give up or break down after a certain period of time of playing defense. These things are taught and it takes alot of time to make them reflexive so you react to a situation and not think about it because many times when you have to think about it its to late, youve missed your opportunity. UConn hustled was too quick and was focused on what they were taught in practice. Baylor wasnt and that comes from good guard play. Baylors guards are good scorers but not good playmakers.
I thought we'd see a world class matchup between Gabby and Davis--it didn't evolve, Gabby and Napheesa ruled the day.

Reaction Score
Uconn is actually a very recent change to the legal name for the state university in Connecticut - it has been around for ever as the nickname, but Uconn made the change over in the last 3-5 years. So like with people who grew up using my nickname before I changed to my given name later in life, the folks who have been around WCBB for a long time get 'grandfathered' into using the old name. No disrespect intended I think, just habit.

Interesting----I didn't know that was your nick-name!! Can we use another title other than --Grandfathered " it sounds sooooo OLD . After being away from family for 25 or so years --I went to a reunion only to find all those I knew by one name --few knew them by the names i knew--uncles, cousins---then advance another 10 years and it's back to names of my memory--odd -you'd know more about that than I.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the BAYLOR IS BIG thread a couple days before the game!

Now we have Baylor.
And yes Baylor is a top ranked opponent coached by a really good coach, Kim Mulkey. They have a huge roster, Kalani Brown 6'7"/Khad Cave 6'3"/Lauren Cox 6'4"/Beatrice Mompremier 6'4", an ultra-athletic F, Nina Davis, and 3 pretty good G's in Alexis Jones, Alexis Prince and Kristy Wallace. But they are not a quick or fast team and are still not very strong beyond the 3 point line! So they must do their damage inside 12'.
Look for UCONN to play much of the game in a zone, which they used successfully vs FSU!
Their freshman, Lauren Cox if I'm not mistaken has been their top scorer in preseason, and I think Geno has worked out some plans for Miss Cox! Brown led the Bears with 25 points and 19 Rebs vs UCLA!
UCLA is no UCONN, even with the 1st game jitters the Huskies showed vs FSU they are a challenge for the Bears!
Uconn as I stated is fast and has many weapons both inside and out and I think the Bears will have as much trouble keeping up with the running Huskies attacking from all 5 positions as NYY Pitcher, Joba Chamberlain, had with the "midges" in Cleveland in 2007 both offensively & defensively!
Kia Nurse was terrible vs FSU in all facets of the game, even making a bonehead foul vs a 3 point shooter so we can bank on a return to normalcy for Ms. Nurse!
UCONN will win by 5 to 8+ points! Also taking into effect that the game is at Gampel, with 10,061 fans which is worth at least 10 points!

Every once in a while I have an epiphany and I treasure those few moments of clarity!

This was a HUGE game for UCONN, not just because it was #2 Baylor but it had all the makings of a bad night. A number of talented Bigs, three athletic G's and a fiery good coach in Kim Mulkey, who wanted to hand Geno & UCONN their heads on a platter!
But as has become the norm, the coaches and players stepped up big-time and it became a glorious night!
Things we learned about the Huskies of 2016-2017:
1. The only possible downer was Saniya might have taken a step backwards after a really good game at FSU!
2. After getting muti fouls vs FSU early and looking lost at times, vs Baylor Gabby got 2 quick fouls went to the bench but when she came back in she didn't get another foul and was an animal in the 2nd 1/2, scoring and her defense was awesome!
3. Crystal Dangerfield had a coming out party for herself in front of 9,475+ fans. 19 points plus rebounds, steals, assists, low turnovers, and ran the offense like MoJeff/Renee/Jen R/Bird/DT/ were resurrected! No freshman jitters here!
4. Natalie was a 6'5" BEAST in the middle, not so much scoring but taking up space and throwing her slimmed down body around, making it uncomfortable for Baylor's bigs to do business!
5. Katie Lou fought through some frustration early and found her comfort zone to score 16 points and be a force on defense!
6. Freshmen Molly & Kyla gave players a needed break and held their ground, not losing anything!
7. Collier had 10 points and 11 RB's and for 6'2" played much, much bigger! often nullifying 6'7" and 2 6'4" Baylor bigs!
8. Nurse started out as if FSU were the opponents than hit a big shot and played much better!
9. There was a fire down below deep in our girls guts that took them to places they need to be to have an outstanding season! Hopefully they'll bring that every game this season!
10. Geno and his staff are starting to trust these girls in crunch time to do their jobs!

Great posting!!!!! I loved the Molly Kyla comment--they earned it.
Try as I may--I'm ashamed to say--i couldn't find one word to nit pick.
Am i losing it/?
I need some of the Clarity pills !!

Reaction Score
Nina is. She has rested on her laurels rather than working to improve herself. End result; she's (largely) the same player today that she was three years ago.

The coach? No, because Nina chose Mulkey, knowing what her coaching style was. UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame, Louisville (etc, ad infinitum, ad astra) all have coaches for whom the status quo isn't good enough, so she went where it would be easier. IMO it seems that Coach Mulkey is willing to accept complacency in some players in return for Talent.

Except from her Daughter, of course, who she drove like a sled dog. If she could harness that and apply it to her other players...

How do you know she hasn't been working on her game? Maybe she has reached the limit of her ability......that happens some time..........

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Personally I like them using CONNECTICUT---that team represent the people of CONNECTICUT plus the University or UConn. --is it better to refer to Texas teams as the HORNS or Texas? or ND as ND or the Green Fuzz (ok that's a bit off)?
I'm with you. It's fine to use UConn (or UCONN) as a marketing device, but the school ought ultimately to be thought of as the flagship state university of Connecticut, a fine state I am told.

Reaction Score
The University of California, Berkeley (certainly the finest public university in the world) is often referred to as "Cal". No disrespect intended: in fact, it's kind of reverse snobbery.

Folks I know at UConn actually like it being called that. And after all, the mascot makes no sense otherwise.

Attachments

• you_say_tomato_t_shirts_and_gifts_card-r9ea31ae8a32445ada58bf4483073e65e_xvuak_8byvr_324.jpg
    you_say_tomato_t_shirts_and_gifts_card-r9ea31ae8a32445ada58bf4483073e65e_xvuak_8byvr_324.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 18
Reaction Score
I'm with you. It's fine to use UConn (or UCONN) as a marketing device, but the school ought ultimately to be thought of as the flagship state university of Connecticut, a fine state I am told.
IT was a great state ---when they still had NUTMEGS...(and smaller taxes)

Reaction Score
I'm not Mulkeys biggest fan or largest detractor. If you just lost a game you were certain you'd win--and someone shoved a mike in your face--i personally would find any phrase to get me off camera and away from answering unanswerable questions.
I think those half time and immediate end of game interviews are offensive--it's a wonder coaches don't lose it and say @$%$%^^&& plus@#%^% up your's.
Mulkey is paid $1 million per year. She's been the head coach of a major program for 16 years - she knows the interviews are coming, she knows it's her obligation to do them, and she has a lot of experience doing this. I think the questions should have been answerable. A $1 million/year coach should know what is happening to her team real time, to be able to deal with it during the game. Media interviews can be dumbed down so the casual fans can understand, but at least give them something. You have to watch film first? Really??

Reaction Score
Mulkey is paid $1 million per year. She's been the head coach of a major program for 16 years - she knows the interviews are coming, she knows it's her obligation to do them, and she has a lot of experience doing this. I think the questions should have been answerable. A $1 million/year coach should know what is happening to her team real time, to be able to deal with it during the game. Media interviews can be dumbed down so the casual fans can understand, but at least give them something. You have to watch film first? Really??

Money does not make one articulate! Nor does it flow easily regardless of the sum paid. Is it part of the job--sure. Do they like---h---l no!
Money isn't all that people work for or does money amounts mean much to some people. It's just a nice way to keep score. The press meeting after the game is more than sufficient to get the message sent.

Reaction Score
Money does not make one articulate! Nor does it flow easily regardless of the sum paid. Is it part of the job--sure. Do they like---h---l no!
Money isn't all that people work for or does money amounts mean much to some people. It's just a nice way to keep score. The press meeting after the game is more than sufficient to get the message sent.
Fine, but she gave the same, "We'll have to watch the film" non-explanation 3 or 4 more times during the press conference too.

Reaction Score
Fine, but she gave the same, "We'll have to watch the film" non-explanation 3 or 4 more times during the press conference too.
Unless she lies about Uconn or Geno or OUR kids---her antics do not effect me ---even if she was making Genos' 3 million.
If she disparaged OKLA we'd have a problem wouldn't we??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well there is this certain Danny character whose voice may be permanently in their heads: UCONN UCONN UCONN.... :D

Reaction Score
Unless she lies about Uconn or Geno or OUR kids---her antics do not effect me ---even if she was making Genos' 3 million.
If she disparaged OKLA we'd have a problem wouldn't we??
I don't have a problem with her - enjoy her antics, animal prints, metallic jackets, heels, etc. And I don't have a problem with her making $1 million. I just don't think she's that good of a coach.

Right, if she started trash talking OK, now that would be a whole different story.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem with coaches is they actually have a very bad and obstructed view of the game - she gave three possible answers and said looking at the coaches tape would answer the question of whether it was: 1) post players not demanding the ball; 2) guards not making the right passes at the right time; or 3) Uconn's incredible post defense. It really is hard at court level with players and refs between you and the action a lot of the time to be able to know exactly what is going wrong. A higher elevation camera angle gives a much better view of what went wrong.
We want instant gratification too much in this world - sometimes you really do need to go to the video tape and cool your jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom