Baylor Post Game Video Comments Prior To Presser | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor Post Game Video Comments Prior To Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem with coaches is they actually have a very bad and obstructed view of the game - she gave three possible answers and said looking at the coaches tape would answer the question of whether it was: 1) post players not demanding the ball; 2) guards not making the right passes at the right time; or 3) Uconn's incredible post defense. It really is hard at court level with players and refs between you and the action a lot of the time to be able to know exactly what is going wrong. A higher elevation camera angle gives a much better view of what went wrong.
We want instant gratification too much in this world - sometimes you really do need to go to the video tape and cool your jets.
So how does she adjust during the game - just "watch the film later and wait til next time we play them?" Wouldn't a reasonably competent coach figure out what wasn't working (even if she couldn't see and had to ask the players), and try something different during the game?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So how does she adjust during the game - just "watch the film later and wait til next time we play them?" Wouldn't a reasonably competent coach figure out what wasn't working (even if she couldn't see and had to ask the players), and try something different during the game?
She probably did, and they certainly came out after halftime looking to go low. But there is a difference between coaching for a change that ultimately doesn't happen, and knowing exactly why that change didn't happen and who was most to blame.

Reaction Score
Kim's problem, it seems, was that after brief success by her bigs after halftime, Geno made adjustments with a quick time out at 1:08 gone and Kim , IMHO, didn't counter his adjustments. That is where her staff of assistants needs to step up.

Reaction Score
"It feels good to not get beat by 30 like when I was at Duke."
Alexis Jones[/

The memory of those beat-downs linger. That was what, two years ago, Duke losing by 40? And all the ND wins in 2012-13 stung, the "it sucks to be you" humiliations providing a lot of incentive not to be in those situations again. I can't imagine being a fan of a team that was beaten by 20+scores YEARLY by that team in blue. So an 11 point loss was an improvement, and they WILL be better next time around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The memory of those beat-downs linger. That was what, two years ago, Duke losing by 40? And all the ND wins in 2012-13 stung, the "it sucks to be you" humiliations providing a lot of incentive not to be in those situations again. I can't imagine being a fan of a team that was beaten by 20+scores YEARLY by that team in blue. So an 11 point loss was an improvement, and they WILL be better next time around.
The game that Jones mentioned was almost 4 years ago actually. Jan 2013, Duke came to UCONN and lost by 30. Freshmen Jones lead Duke in scoring during the game. Kelly Faris was a Monster earning the infamous awkward chest bump from Geno.

Reaction Score
How do you know she hasn't been working on her game? Maybe she has reached the limit of her ability.that happens some time.....

You have a point. I erased the rest of my response (defending my position), as I would have to knock a few people. Case in Point: Griner after 4 years in Waco vs. Griner after 3 years in the WNBA (with Taurasi) and a couple of months with Geno.

Let's just say that I think that Davis has more in the tank, and we'll see it post-Waco. Again, I REALLY like Mulkey as a coach, and certainly as a sideline personality...I just think that this is a weak spot for her. With two NCs...how can you argue?

Reaction Score
Baylor is not a team set up to succeed.

1) Their height is neutralized by the fact that Davis can't play anything but the four, so playing a "twin towers" set happens only when she is on the bench.

2) They have absolutely no depth at the three guard positions. The Freshman looked like the proverbial "deer in the headlights" whenever she was subbed in. By the end of the season, she may be much better, but that still leaves them with only one backup for three players.

3) Who is the point guard? Even if she is designated as a two, Alexis Jones is the one driving to the basket and handling the ball for the great majority of the time. With a shoot first mentality and a tendency to play off the bounce rather than the pass, she is not the right type of player to reliably pinpoint passes into the post.

4) With all that height, they don't ever use a high-low set, which would enable a 6'4" player to pass to someone 6'7". Mulkey can't be blamed for this, because none of her bigs demonstrated any ability to hit a jumper from the free throw line or the elbow, which would enable a team to stack the middle defensively and prevent any advantage created from using such a set.

5) They are a good defensive team, but they are slow and deep only in the post positions. With that kind of roster, their guards will always be tired in the fourth quarter and vulnerable to the turnovers and fast breaks that ultimately defeated them.
Great observations. That said, I think there's enough time in the season for them to figure some of this out. #1 is key and will be the toughest. I suspect they'll figure out #2/#5 and #3 as the season goes on.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm with you. It's fine to use UConn (or UCONN) as a marketing device, but the school ought ultimately to be thought of as the flagship state university of Connecticut, a fine state I am told.

...and, if I recall from one of the Geno Shows/History shows, when UConn was oh, so new on the scene and no one knew who the heck they were, Geno and Co. were clear about calling it Connecticut. Now everyone knows who Connecticut is AND UConn.

Reaction Score
Alexis Jones referred to us as UCONN as most players seem to do. But Kim said CONNECTICUT, not UCONN. When we beat Texas last year coach Karen Aston said CONNECTICUT. Brenda Frese said both UCONN and CONNECTICUT. I am of the opinion that the top coaches don't like to use the brand UCONN and it bothers me. I think it's a purposeful slight. I think it was Lauren Cox who made an alphabetical list of teams she was considering and put UConn at the tail end of that list. Maybe i'm being a little bit paranoid or overly sensitive; but there it is.

I also think this is an intentional slight . when I hear "Connecticut" I think of a sleepy new England state . when I hear "UConn" I think of a superior brand.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
...and, if I recall from one of the Geno Shows/History shows, when UConn was oh, so new on the scene and no one knew who the heck they were, Geno and Co. were clear about calling it Connecticut. Now everyone knows who Connecticut is AND UConn.
I also think this is an intentional slight . when I hear "Connecticut" I think of a sleepy new England state . when I hear "UConn" I think of a superior brand.
It really is a recent change - The University of Connecticut was the official name, and for a long time the official abbreviation for Connecticut (on addresses for the US postal system for example) was Conn. U of Conn was quickly shortened to Uconn, and being phonetically linked to Yukon a land of snow and sled dogs, the students and university settled on a Husky sled dog as our mascot. The two letter abbreviation system for states was introduced in 1963 and Conn. over time was replaced with CT in everyones usage - luckily we already had our Uconn and our mascot well established.

In April of 2013 President Herbst announced the changing of the official usage of the University of Connecticut to UCONN, and over the next few months the letterhead, signage, banners, and web pages all adopted UCONN. Both names are still legally correct and most external listing still use either University of Connecticut or just Connecticut - see the AP and Coaches polls for example as well as ESPN. (FYI - It was at the same time that the Husky logo was also changed.)

I think some fans go out of their way to find disrespect from opponents or from broadcasters and media sources. Using an official name for our university especially in a timeframe not far removed from the university's own change of emphasis is not being disrespectful. Calling 'Rutgers' the 'State University of New Jersey' while similarly correct might well be a subtle dig because no one has used that name in a very long time in anything but legal documents.

Reaction Score
That statement is ludicrous. Nina Davis is not one who just shows up when she wants. She had a horrible game and I suspect that some of this has to do with the fact that Mulkey has made the decision that Brown and Mompremier are the players that she wants the ball going to and Davis is kind of the odd woman out. She did not come back this year prepared to shoot from the outside and therefore there will be times when she is not a big part of the offense. Last night was one of those nights.

Totally agree with this. You can just sense her unhappiness thus far.will this change I don't know, but it's like theres no room for her anymore. Like her game doesn't fit what her team is trying to do anymore.

Reaction Score
I think Nina Davis is out of sorts because her team no longer views her as a priority. The team is building towards the big posts and I think she needs more space to operate. I predict she will not have an all American season as expected because of this. Still a great player but the system doesn't suit her game anymore...too many real posts clogging up the lane now.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
It really is a recent change - The University of Connecticut was the official name, and for a long time the official abbreviation for Connecticut (on addresses for the US postal system for example) was Conn. U of Conn was quickly shortened to Uconn, and being phonetically linked to Yukon a land of snow and sled dogs, the students and university settled on a Husky sled dog as our mascot. The two letter abbreviation system for states was introduced in 1963 and Conn. over time was replaced with CT in everyones usage - luckily we already had our Uconn and our mascot well established.

Believe it or not, the Husky mascot/team name predates the term "UConn" or even "University of Connecticut." The school was known as "Connecticut State College" when the Husky mascot was first adopted. I know, weird.

History | University of Connecticut

A Piece of UConn History/UConn Husky Fight Song - April 5, 1999

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. You can just sense her unhappiness thus far.will this change I don't know, but it's like theres no room for her anymore. Like her game doesn't fit what her team is trying to do anymore.

I totally agree. I had predicted before the season that she would not be an AA because of the direction that Mulkey was looking at take. Mulkey thinks that the bigs that she has will eventually be dominant so that is was she is building toward.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I had predicted before the season that she would not be an AA because of the direction that Mulkey was looking at take. Mulkey thinks that the bigs that she has will eventually be dominant so that is was she is building toward.
For such a fabulous player and someone who has given so much to the Bears success over the last three years this is a little sad - I find it strange that Kim and the assistants cannot work her talents into the mix. Baylor has some exciting new players in Brown and Montpremier and Cox, but they are not yet at the level of Davis, and it seems premature to go away from what she could be providing. The one thing in Kim's post game comments that struck me as 'off' was her answer to 'was Nina injured or ill' - I would have liked something more on the lines of 'no, and we need to figure out how to get her more involved and contributing more.'

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I

I think some fans go out of their way to find disrespect from opponents or from broadcasters and media sources. Using an official name for our university especially in a timeframe not far removed from the university's own change of emphasis is not being disrespectful. Calling 'Rutgers' the 'State University of New Jersey' while similarly correct might well be a subtle dig because no one has used that name in a very long time in anything but legal documents.

dap.gif

You deserve a dap for that

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For such a fabulous player and someone who has given so much to the Bears success over the last three years this is a little sad - I find it strange that Kim and the assistants cannot work her talents into the mix. Baylor has some exciting new players in Brown and Montpremier and Cox, but they are not yet at the level of Davis, and it seems premature to go away from what she could be providing. The one thing in Kim's post game comments that struck me as 'off' was her answer to 'was Nina injured or ill' - I would have liked something more on the lines of 'no, and we need to figure out how to get her more involved and contributing more.'
On edit - on review of the season stats it doesn't look that bad for Davis - she is averaging 12 ppg and 26 mpg - drop out Uconn's bagel, and in the other games she is at 16 ppg. Her rebounds are down, but that isn't that surprising. Always a mistake to project player performance off of what happens in a Uconn contest - my bad! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom