Baylor post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Baylor post game thread

Reaction Score
Because she Does.Not.Know.the.Offense

But Aubrey Griffin's upside is far more than Irwin's steady but not spectacular current game. Preparing Griffin and Makurat for South Carolina and Oregon later in the season makes more sense. I don't think UCONN is going to get much more out of KI, ar this point in her career. "The Future Is Now"

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
  • we were in the game halfway through the 4th quarter with no construbution other than from 3 players. Our best post player didn’t play much and our second best defender (Aubrey) didn’t play much in the second half. There is much for Geno to use here for building up this team for March.
  • CW and MW looked tired in 4th because outside of crystal no one could be counted on to create offense. Kyla needs to take some more shots instead of telegraphing her picks and passing. She missed, but so what, you need to keep shooting because they were giving her room and she’s a good shooter. Overall she Gabe what I expected which was good effort but good effort won’t help this team win against teams like Baylor.
  • Aubrey was ok but you could see her athleticism when battling for rebounds, but it’s her other areas where she needs to develop so that Geno can trust her in crunch time. Anna is solid but in these type of games the defense limits her effectiveness.
  • Baylor is a legitimate team with a healthy Cox so nothing to be ashamed of for UConn tnite and I would put Oregon 1a and Baylor 1b as favorites for NC
  • Lastly I really think Geno decided to play with a lesser talented team on the court tnite (Irwin and makarat) in the second half because he wants to use this as a teaching moment for Liv. You’ve gotta play sound basketball and not be overwhelmed by the moment. I believe we will see a better and improved and motivated UConn team going forward. Whether that’s good enough for a final four we shall see, but I like this team and I’m excited about the potential of all the pieces come together.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If "heft to push away from the basket" is the best that can be said about someone, we are in big trouble...
Read my previous posts about Kyla in this thread

Reaction Score
I will temper my comments as I am new to the board but I guess I watched a different game from many here. I just think Uconn got beat by a much better team. They hung in for three quarters based mostly on individual, not team oriented offense but when it came to winning time they looked pretty disjointed on both ends of the court.
This is a team with 3 experienced player with 4 others with little or no Div 1 experience. Olivia has move from a novice to a top novice in less than a year. She is learning each game. When you play against small players all the time your concept of playing is distorted She needs to practice and play against every 6 ft 5 inch male player Geno can find. She needs to be pushed around and around until she learns to score while being pushed and pulled. She has to forget she is a nice girl and become a really BAD ASS Post. Can she do it? Maybe not this year. But as negative as all this sounds it isn't what Geno CD and Olivia learn this early in the year the better the results in April. An NC isn't out of the question--Geno has said for years winning the NC is a lot of LUCK and preparation. Can he beat Baylor on the next meeting--you bet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will temper my comments as I am new to the board but I guess I watched a different game from many here. I just think Uconn got beat by a much better team. They hung in for three quarters based mostly on individual, not team oriented offense but when it came to winning time they looked pretty disjointed on both ends of the court.
I saw two teams that were mostly even for 36 minutes of the game. In the last 4-5 minutes of the game 1 player (Smith) took over because UCONN had no one with the energy or athleticism on the floor to stop her. The most telling moment of the game was when Smith rebounded her own free throw miss.

Reaction Score
Untrue. Did you see Kyla grabbing the back of Aubrey’s jersey and directing her to the right spot on the court? She did that for the younger players several times. She also blocked out really well and actually chased down loose balls. Kyla did what she could

You are correct, Kyla did what she could, but truth be told that's not good enough against top 10 teams

Reaction Score
I like
Yeah, Kyla played hard on defense & many plays ran through her. Geno played her most of the gane which indicates his confidence in Kyla. But she has been draining the open jumper that ignites the team. Tonight, she rushed her shot & was way off the mark.
I like Kyla grit but zero point, a couple of rebounds and I think one assist and I believe she is a bit slow on defense.Not only did Ono go 0 for but I have noticed
when she shoots layup she releases the ball at shoulder height instead of fully extended arm.2 starters 0 points just doesn’t cut it. We will get better.

Reaction Score
Really entertaining game, was a 1 point game midway through the 4th. Smith just took over late. I think for Baylor Richards was a HUGE difference maker in the 2nd half with her defense and her passing. Really did a great job in the 2nd half of slowing down Walker. Should be a contender for DPOY IMO. Held Megan to 5-20 shooting overall and last year held Ionescu to 6-24 shooting.

Cox was just a monster inside for Baylor too. Just her presence inside completely deterred UCONN from going after her. She hit shots too until the 4th. Great comeback game for her. Completely shut down ONO who has comparable size and length.

Cooper finished with a gaudy stat line but had some ups and downs. Still not sold on her as a PG, I honestly think Baylor is better running the offense through Richards/Cox because Te'a definitely has a scorers mentality. That's about as much negative as I can say about someone who put up 27 points, 6 boards and 5 assists.

Smith was the difference maker down the stretch. Their best finisher around the rim and her ability to finish through contact and grab boards is superb. Started strong, quieted down, and then really took over. She's gonna be really good with time.

Egbo was a non factor in limited minutes. Same with Landrum. Ursin did well in her limited time.

For UCONN, Williams and Dangerfield carried a lot of the load tonight. Dangerfield has so much range on her shot and Williams seemed to be everywhere tonight. Thought Williams could've hunted shots more than she did but she was the best player for UCONN. Walker struggled after a strong start, she was working really hard on every play and had a fantastic defender on her in the 2nd half, looks like she just wore out. Problem for UCONN is that was the extent of their roster, those 3 scored all but 3 points.

The rest of the team shot 1-16 and 1-10 from deep. Irwin just didn't look confident at all her in shooting and was late on a couple of attempted charges that maybe affected her shooting. ONO just got dominated by Cox. I thought her defensive presence was quite good though. Cox is in her own league as a defensive presence but she'll have other opportunities going up against Tamari Key, Aliyah Boston and Ruthy Hebard. (Note, I'm not saying Key is in their league, but she's a big 6-6 girl that ONO will get to practice against).

I actually thought Griffin battled really well out there and played big for her size. Seemed more effective than Makurat.

Ultimately I think UCONN's success this year rides on ONO's development and ability to score against other bigs her size. She has the length and frame to become a monster, but whether she develops into one by the end of the year is the question. For Baylor, I think their success ultimately comes down to Te'a Cooper. Is she going to look for teammates to score when games get tight, or will she play Te'a ball. Both teams are firmly in the hunt for a title. Great win for Baylor, not the worst loss for UCONN despite the final margin.
Funny, how we look at game differently. I figured Liv would be ineffective against a physi

Reaction Score
We got rattled in the 4th Q and just started hoisting tough shots and not really running anything that I could see. And Nalyssa was fantastic.
Geno is very ill or he was worried about losing for at least the second half after Baylor got up by 8. The strain on his face was exceptional. In most game he has lost he put his finger over his lips, he didn't do that this game---he was just exceptionally strained looking. Is he ill??

Reaction Score
Just a few take away from a very good game.

1. To beat UCONN you must make 3's.
Baylor hit big 3's all game.

2. Not sure why we allowed 6'6 Lauren Cox to play facilitator without any pressure. I rather put her in a panick and actually have her put the ball on the ground and make decisions.

3. What happened to UCONN defense? Keep your player in front of you and move your feet.

4. We were way to careless with the ball. Especially Megan. TURNOVERS killed momentum!

5. Big moment for ONO on the offensive end and she wasn't quite ready. If we get 8-10 points from her UCONN wins. She'll be back.

6. Thought the whistle were unfavorable towards UCONN first half.

7. Baylor is long athletic and play to their strength. To beat them all 5 parts must contribute.

8. Hope this is the game that wakes us up and we get back to UCONN way of doing the little things that lead to bigger things.

Reaction Score
Geno in the 4th turned and yelled at the bench where AG and ONO were sitting. Then he kept Kyla in as the offense faltered and we gave up open shots. Put the more athletic player in the game. They are your future. Williams chucking 3's is a losing plan but no one else wanted to shoot the ball.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno is very ill or he was worried about losing for at least the second half after Baylor got up by 8. The strain on his face was exceptional. In most game he has lost he put his finger over his lips, he didn't do that this game---he was just exceptionally strained looking. Is he ill??

I think the shooting % made him ill but that's about it. He's doing the postgame now and looks fine. Very relaxed and realistic.

Reaction Score
We have 3 kids prepared to compete on the highest level. There is much work to do. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I like

I like Kyla grit but zero point, a couple of rebounds and I think one assist and I believe she is a bit slow on defense.Not only did Ono go 0 for but I have noticed
when she shoots layup she releases the ball at shoulder height instead of fully extended arm.2 starters 0 points just doesn’t cut it. We will get better.
Defense wasn't Uconn's strongest suit this game. Especially in the second half. One starter was cover well by 2 or 3 players (Olivia) the other 3 are a 3 year bench sitter making good and 2 freshmen with minimal Div 1 Pt.
Where does Geno go for experience and high talent? No where or until next year. We all knew the how frail this team could be but we cheered anyway--it is after all UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He just had surgery

Reaction Score
He just had surgery
Yes he did look really ill. Should have given CD this game if he was as bad as he looked. 65 plus old people can't push their bodies after surgery the just don't bounce back. Caution should be the mantra

Reaction Score
something up with ONO? has not been good past few, maybe playing hurt?
People that have been watching basketball for any length of time, should have already figured out that players are not going to ever be that consistent game to game. Players are not robots and they have good games and not so good games. The reasons can vary from game to game. The opposition combined with how a player feels, and if their shots are dropping all play a part. This could just have been a poor to mediocre game for Ono. That along with facing a very long Lauran Cox. This is why it is important to have depth at every position. That way someone else can take up the slack when a player is not feeing it on any particular night. And you can count on any player having such a night now and then.

Reaction Score
Yes he did look really ill. Should have given CD this game if he was as bad as he looked. 65 plus old people can't push their bodies after surgery the just don't bounce back. Caution should be he mantra
Surgery on your intestines is not something to laugh at. It will often result in another one to follow at some time in the future.

Reaction Score
We did not get Olivia today we got OH NO!!! I pity our next opponent
Except our next opponent will be an AAC team, and a measure of exactly nothing. Olivia needs to thrive against the Baylors of the world, or we are going no where. Tonight , it was three players ( Walker, Williams and Danger ) and no one else. And even our top three were wildly inconsistent. The fact is baylor is much better. They have size and athleticism. More so than does UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To not give Liz time in the 4th quarter blows my mind. Kyla was a complete liability the entire quarter and the only length the team has is sitting on the bench. Ultimately it probably didn't matter, because Baylor is just a better team right now, but for Christ sakes give the team a fighting chance.
Liv is a sophomore, a focus of the offense for only the 13th game of her career. She played against a dominant senior that was bigger and stronger than she and found her usual game ineffective. Then she became a deer in the headlights. She simply didn’t know how to dig down and pull out the mental toughness needed to push through - because she’s never been in that situation before and lacks that experience

Liv has been so good this season that people forget how young she is. Patience.

Reaction Score
Dee Kantner was in OK last night.
Maybe last night, but not tonight. Wasn’t as bad as usual but still very belligerent and anti UCONN. There was a blatant charge early where the Baylor player lowered her shoulder and rammed into our player. Foul UCONN., while the other nearby ref was ready to call it a charge. I know refs cant get them all right, but that was pretty blatantly wrong.

Reaction Score
My take - Baylor is a really good team and in my opinion will get better as Cox get back in game shape. Baylor is a difficult match for any team and if they hit from outside, as they did tonight, they are a potential national champion. UCONN is also a potential national championship team but they have to be on from outside. My favorite moments in this game were when CD‘s eyes lit up with determination, she really wanted this game and it showed! This was just one game and the season has a long way to go, calm down, UCONN IS NOT DONE YET!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UCONN shot 29% for the game and two of the starters went scoreless. Not going to win many games like that. Congrats to Baylor. I don't want a rematch until next season.
Like I said in the Chat Room. I, like the old Brooklyn Dodger fan I am, can only say, "Wait'll next year!"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But Aubrey Griffin's upside is far more than Irwin's steady but not spectacular current game. Preparing Griffin and Makurat for South Carolina and Oregon later in the season makes more sense. I don't think UCONN is going to get much more out of KI, ar this point in her career. "The Future Is Now"
A game is not the place to learn the offense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom