Baylor post game thread | The Boneyard

Baylor post game thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Baylor game:
  • The game started out like two heavyweight fighters measuring each other while circling in the ring. In the end Baylor got the knockout in the 4th qtr.
  • There will be a lot of over analysis about this game. To me, it simply came down to Baylor’s interior size and strength. They were too much for UConn in the paint.
  • Christyn, Megan and Crystal all put up double figures, but UConn needed more from their supporting cast.
  • Keep the faith. Liv will have much better days. Today, Cox was a mismatch for her.
  • So much for home winning streaks. Time for the Huskies to start a new one.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor is a very deserving champion. I can't remember the last time a UConn team was so ineffective in the 4th quarter. At least I'm glad this game wasn't in March. Go Husky's and back to work.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sorry to say this but I think our ladies were exhausted in the 4th. Sadly another game vs. Baylor where the final score doesn't tell the story of the game.
Waiting to hear the "I told you so!" from our resident haters.
Thankfully I know how to use the I button.

Reaction Score
something up with ONO? has not been good past few, maybe playing hurt?

Reaction Score
Uconn needed a game like this.. Baylor is the real #1 just based on size. But our girls got the closest look they can at what it will take to make it to the final four this year . I'm very grateful for this game actually. I'm not that worried about USC or Oregon after this game.

Reaction Score
We have been saying all week someone besides the core three needs to step up. We got nothing. 29% shooting, Ono a big zero (I said several times she was key to getting a win tonight) and only three players contributed and a whopping 6 points in 4th. Hoping they learn a big lesson tonight.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
something up with ONO? has not been good past few, maybe playing hurt?
She has been off since the Christmas break. Hope she snaps out of it.

Reaction Score
Sic’em! Good job by both teams! Where’s that poster that said Baylor would lose by 17!? We didn’t play our best but still walked out with the win! UConn will be fine and I know they’ll make it to another final four

I warned everyone about Cooper and people disregarded saying she was “Hit and miss” and she would get outplayed by Dangerfield. #Sicem

Reaction Score
There was a point at the start of the 4th quarter where both teams were not scoring and the game was separated by 1-3 pts. If UConn had been able to put down the hammer there, they could have put Baylor on the ropes, and from that point who knows what could have happened.

But they weren't able to take advantage, and eventually Baylor righted the ship far better than we did.

This year's team is one where I feel they have lots of talent, but it's not "balanced" talent. Like, our interior consists of talented and right-sized players (well, a single player) lacking experience. Backing her up is much more experience, but undersized. Our freshmen have potential in their own right...but they're still freshmen.

Our 1-2-3 players are championship caliber, IMO, but when forced to do it all they can be beaten as they were today. And so it goes.

Still, this was not a "throw the tape away" game in the slightest. Lessons can be learned here - we'll see.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Baylor game:
  • The game started out like two heavyweight fighters measuring each other while circling in the ring. In the end Baylor got the knockout in the 4th qtr.
  • There will be a lot of over analysis about this game. To me, it simply came down to Baylor’s interior size and strength. They were too much for UConn in the paint.
  • Christyn, Megan and Crystal all put up double figures, but UConn needed more from their supporting cast.
  • Keep the faith. Liv will have much better days. Today, Cox was a mismatch for her.
  • So much for home winning streaks. Time for the Huskies to start a new one.
@oldude Someone on the BY has been harping on Uconn needs to make their layup's. Had they made half of them it could have been a win.
Then someone else said that Baylor would run out of energy in the 4th. That was Uconn. I and others said if ONO had less than 3 fouls in the 4th Uconn would win. Well she had 3. No win. Something is amiss when a bench player in 1/3rd of the time out rebounds a 6 ft 5.
Geno has work to do, lots of it. But first he has to work on conditioning and shot selection--it was horrid. Does this mean Uconn is done for this year---H-E-L -L NO. This is the begining of the run for the NCAA the faults are now known and how to play Baylor is not known.
TRUE very TRUE other players must shoot when open---notice I didn't say others must step up--no they just need to shoot when they have the shot and not pass and pass and pass to Danger, Walker, CW. ONO has to learn to play against big defense. Simple(not on your life)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kind of a shame that Kyla wasn't able to make her shots after being so on in recent games. Otherwise I liked her play, steady on defense and offense.
Just feel extra bad for her (and for everyone) after this hard fought loss.

Reaction Score
Almost a mirror image of last year's game. Baylor has just too much talent, depth & physical presence - that wore UConn out by the 4th quarter. UConn would have to shoot lights out for 40 minutes to beat this team. Not even close tonight.

Reaction Score
Geno said we'd learn some things tonight, and he wasn't kidding. My biggest takeaway is that if your last name wasn't Dangerfield, Walker or Williams, you were in no way ready for prime time tonight.

I'm really glad he benched Aubrey and especially Olivia for the rest of the game. Hopefully that will kick-start their development in time to make a difference by this year. Too bad it left him with nobody to sub in for Kyla, though. Just not enough pieces.

I wonder how much longer the team has to underperform in both layups not in transition and foul shooting before Geno makes what I feel are long-overdue changes to his practice sessions to address the matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN shot 29% for the game and two of the starters went scoreless. Not going to win many games like that. Congrats to Baylor. I don't want a rematch until next season.
The lack of scoring from two starters was disappointing. But I was shocked by the margin that their shots missed. Kyla & Ono threw airballs on shots that they usually drain with ease.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom