Baylor post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor post game thread

Reaction Score
Not really. They shot 45% from field which they don't always do by a long shot. We shot 29% which we don't always do. There's a LOT of room between 29% and "Lights out" for us to have been able to win. Just Not a great scoring night. Not a bad loss. A loss in the American would be a bad loss.
Baylor leads the nation in fg percentage at 51.9% and is number 14 in 3 pt percentage at 38.7%
Before tonight's game

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Playing against much larger competition. Cox has a ridiculous wing span is a shut down defender. Tough matchup for anyone going up against her. I didn't see the SMU game, but per their box score they had a 6-4 girl inside going up against her for much of the game. Against smaller opponents she's been able to score at will (Ex. DePaul, Oklahoma).

Liv tried hard to get spin moves in the post but Cox is too big and too savvy but Liv could have gotten off some of her fade aways which for some reason is ridiculed as a shot which is weak, She finally did one fade away which she got up over Cox but by then her confidence was shot and she short armed it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A really bad game for UConn. But if UConn will lose one game or two eventually I rather to lose early.
I never expect we can reach #1 and non-defeat at Week 10. Go Huskies ~~~

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I posted earlier in the week, after watching Baylor on TV, that they would be a handful. I got a lot of flack, but I'm going to say "I told you so." Some observations on this game: UConn hung in there for 3 quarters, but there were lots of bad signals. You can't win with only 3 scorers. Liv was non-existent, which Geno obviously saw, since he sat her the whole 4th quarter. Kyla was clearly over her head in this game, which many of us expected would happen against a very good, athletic team. Christyn played hard and played well, but her inability to hit a 3 pt shot (plus a lackluster performance from the foul line) hurt us big time. Megan was good early, but her inability to finish down low ( that missed open layup late was big, momentum wise). Crystal was just "ehh"...
Now, having dropped the hammer on our Huskies, I think they can compete with the best teams if they can improve in the areas mentioned above. Live HAS to be a factor. Christyn HAS to hit some 3's. Kyla HAS to play better, or needs to go to the bench. Crystal HAS to shoot well in big games ( she's done it in the past). Anna and Aubrey HAVE to do more.
All of that is possible. I haven't given up hope. But reality reared it's ugly head tonight.
I beg to differ. Kyla played like her usual self with the exception that her shooting was missing. But I personally thought that she did her "normal" things fine. The lack of our offense made her play a lot more noticeable.
As far as your after the hammer dropped comments, I am not looking forward to the Oregon and SoCarolina games, especially when the latter game is in Carolina. But I am going to just try and relax and watch our other games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, Kyla played hard on defense & many plays ran through her. Geno played her most of the gane which indicates his confidence in Kyla. But she has been draining the open jumper that ignites the team. Tonight, she rushed her shot & was way off the mark.

Kyla got rattled pretty early with Baylor's speed. She had one layup that was blocked early in the game that none of our opponents prior would have been capable of doing.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor got most of their scoring from only 3 players as well, but a little bit more help w/ 3 others combing for 11.

Comparing the Big 3s:
Baylor: 63 points, 23-47 shooting, 6-16 3pt, 24 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 TO
UCONN: 55 points, 19-53 shooting, 7-21 3pt, 23 rebounds, 6 assists, 6 TO

When comparing the others, you have:
Baylor: 11 points, 4-13 shooting, 1-5 from 3, 20 rebounds, 8 assists, 0 TO
UCONN: 3 points, 1-16 shooting, 1-10 from 3, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 TO

Pretty comparable but statistically Baylor's was solidly better with both their big 3 and their supporting cast.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Baylor leads the nation in fg percentage at 51.9% and is number 14 in 3 pt percentage at 38.7%
Before tonight's game

Sure, but those stats are accrued against all their opponents. Not just top 5 teams. I would bet if they played 5 games vs UCONN that the one we just saw is as good as they would shoot against us. Hey, they may very well meet again. We'll see. They are a great team though , no argument there. Nice win for them.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Kyla played like her usual self with the exception that her shooting was missing. But I personally thought that she did her "normal" things fine. The lack of our offense made her play a lot more noticeable.
As far as your after the hammer dropped comments, I am not looking forward to the Oregon and SoCarolina games, especially when the latter game is in Carolina. But I am going to just try and relax and watch our other games.
Kyla did her "usual things?" She had ZERO assists, which is usually one of her strengths... 2 rebounds.... and of course, 0 fer from the floor. I love her as a person and a teammate, but she is an AAC player, not athletic enough to be a factor in big games. (I hope I'm wrong, but Anna and Aubrey have ceilings I am much more hopeful for). Liv will be the big question mark, of course.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kyla did her "usual things?" She had ZERO assists, which is usually one of her strengths... 2 rebounds.... and of course, 0 fer from the floor. I love her as a person and a teammate, but she is an AAC player, not athletic enough to be a factor in big games. (I hope I'm wrong, but Anna and Aubrey have ceilings I am much more hopeful for). Liv will be the big question mark, of course.
Aubrey doesn’t know the offense yet. Kyla had to tell her where to go. Anna hesitated to shoot. At least Kyla had some heft to push Cox away from the basket without fouling

Reaction Score
We are not going to match up against big teams like South Carolina and Oregon. We certainly didn’t look like a final 4 team tonight. We can’t contiue to have our entire offense revolve around 3 players against really good teams. Let’s just accept the fact this is not our year but the good news is the cavalry is coming with the next 2 recruiting classes. How about sending Kayla to the bench and let AG get some meaning minutes and learn from her mistakes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We are not going to match up against big teams like South Carolina and Oregon. We certainly didn’t look like a final 4 team tonight. We can’t contiue to have our entire offense revolve around 3 players against really good teams. Let’s just accept the fact this is not our year but the good news is the cavalry is coming with the next 2 recruiting classes. How about sending Kayla to the bench and let AG get some meaning minutes and learn from her mistakes.
Because she Does.Not.Know.the.Offense

Reaction Score
Geno said we'd learn some things tonight, and he wasn't kidding. My biggest takeaway is that if your last name wasn't Dangerfield, Walker or Williams, you were in no way ready for prime time tonight.

I'm really glad he benched Aubrey and especially Olivia for the rest of the game. Hopefully that will kick-start their development in time to make a difference by this year. Too bad it left him with nobody to sub in for Kyla, though. Just not enough pieces.

I wonder how much longer the team has to underperform in both layups not in transition and foul shooting before Geno makes what I feel are long-overdue changes to his practice sessions to address the matter.

To not give Liz time in the 4th quarter blows my mind. Kyla was a complete liability the entire quarter and the only length the team has is sitting on the bench. Ultimately it probably didn't matter, because Baylor is just a better team right now, but for Christ sakes give the team a fighting chance.

Reaction Score
I will temper my comments as I am new to the board but I guess I watched a different game from many here. I just think Uconn got beat by a much better team. They hung in for three quarters based mostly on individual, not team oriented offense but when it came to winning time they looked pretty disjointed on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
Mostly we shot poorly. Some of the comments above are unfounded. Baylor's size was not what killed us. We had more offensive rebounds and more points in the paint. Too much reliance on 3 players--no. Our 4th and 5th starters had zero points, but Baylor's combined for only 4 points. Our big three did not shoot well. Was it the pressure of a big game or Baylor's defense. Probably some of both. Hopefully more high pressure games will help us develop.

Reaction Score
Baylor is a very deserving champion. I can't remember the last time a UConn team was so ineffective in the 4th quarter. At least I'm glad this game wasn't in March. Go Husky's and back to work.
@JordyG--They looked very tired. Emotionally and physically. Please note most of their shots were short, some very short that means tired legs.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ok, point taken. I didn't look at the stats, I only watched the game. To me it seemed like she was doing what Geno expects her to do and he might have kept her out there because Liv was noticeably off her game. Guessing here.

Reaction Score
When you fade in the 4th quarter against bad teams, you are going to fade in the 4th quarter against good teams. UConn played a good (not great) 3 quarters. Still missed a lot of layups and the miss by MW at the end of the 3rd was a momentum killer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom