Baylor/Notre Dame Post Game Quotes | The Boneyard

Baylor/Notre Dame Post Game Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
WOWZER...In your face kind of comment by Mulkey but you have got to admire her willingness to speak up for her players:

Baylor Head Coach Kim Mulkey

On Skylar Diggins having a poor game...
"It is early in the season. I was a point guard and I have always been very critical of point guards. Odyssey Sims is the best point guard in the country. And you can put that in your notes. What does she have to do to get that kind of recognition? She has played Skylar four times and has won every ball game. She has won a national championship. Odyssey didn't have one of her better games either, but she never stopped being tough on the floor. She never stops guarding people."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
WOWZER...In your face kind of comment by Mulkey but you have got to admire her willingness to speak up for her players:

Baylor Head Coach Kim Mulkey

On Skylar Diggins having a poor game...
"It is early in the season. I was a point guard and I have always been very critical of point guards. Odyssey Sims is the best point guard in the country. And you can put that in your notes. What does she have to do to get that kind of recognition? She has played Skylar four times and has won every ball game. She has won a national championship. Odyssey didn't have one of her better games either, but she never stopped being tough on the floor. She never stops guarding people."
Scoreboard. Good for her. Maybe Lil Wayne won't bother sitting courtside anymore.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow. I also like the little dig about never stops guarding people...I HATE Skylar's defense. She does that BS "let you get by me then foul you but make it look like a steal". Terrible. Won't cut it in the WNBA, that's for sure.

It's true, though. Honestly, most of Skylar's popularity is from Twitter and her looks. I doubt Odyssey cares about that, especially when she's got a NC. I seriously doubt Skylar will ever get one of those.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Three things impact Skylar's claim as the best PG in College WBB. Notre Dame's success on the court and Skylar's popularity in Social Media and her personality. Skylar has learned to play the media game and is probably the best at it in College WBB. She's great at self promotion and getting in front of the camera.

To her credit she is a good player and her play on the court has led to the success the Notre Dame has had over the last 4 years. However, if I'm a WNBA GM and looking to build a team and had to choose between Skylar or Odyssey as the leader of the team, I would take Odyssey over Sims any day of the week. Now if I was looking to get publicity for my team, then I would choose Skylar.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Three things impact Skylar's claim as the best PG in College WBB. Notre Dame's success on the court and Skylar's popularity in Social Media and her personality. Skylar has learned to play the media game and is probably the best at it in College WBB. She's great at self promotion and getting in front of the camera.

To her credit she is a good player and her play on the court has led to the success the Notre Dame has had over the last 4 years. However, if I'm a WNBA GM and looking to build a team and had to choose between Skylar or Odyssey as the leader of the team, I would take Odyssey over Sims any day of the week. Now if I was looking to get publicity for my team, then I would choose Skylar.
Taking Odyssey over Sims. Now that is a tough choice. I could go either way.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Guess I should have read my post more carefully. Obviously I meant take Odyssey over Skylar. :)

Taking Odyssey over Sims. Now that is a tough choice. I could go either way.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Wow. With quotes like that from Mulkey, maybe I know why they had a security guard sitting right behind her at the game....( I mean, in South Bend, REALLY?)
I did like that she gave her daughter a compliment in the postgame ESPN interview with Becca. It was well deserved.

Wonder how Skylar liked being outplayed by frosh Jewel Lloyd? Bet Lil Wayne changed his tweet preferences....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder at what point, if at all, the "experts" will figure out that Skyler is a very good player, but maybe not worth the hype she's gotten this year. It's not like she isn't getting PT this season - averaging over 33 MPG, but only averaging 13 PPG (which is *gasp* 4th on her own team). 5+ assists per game but over 4 turnovers per game.

She's possibly not the best guard on her own team, never mind the best guard in the country. Now granted, Loyd isn't going to continue at 50% from beyond the arc, nor will Skyler continue at 20% from beyond the arc, but 6 games in, Skyler's over all per minute production is no better than Kelly's (who is only averaging 25 MPG).

And yet Skyler is hyped as a lock for 1st team AA and top 3 draft pick, while Kelly may never make an AA team (and some on here think she won't be drafted till the 2nd round). Now i'm not saying these trends will continue for the rest of the year, but we are seeing just what Kelly can do, and she's doing it in big games as well as blowouts. She's one of my all-time favorite Huskies...

Reaction Score
Give me Simms any day of the week. Kim was right on with her assessment. Skylar is a very good player, but Simms is better in pg category.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If there was ever a case to be made for leaving early, Skylar's it. She was at the peak of her popularity last season, they made two straight NC games, and she would have been a very very high pick in the draft. This year, her stats are down, she is being out-shadowed on her own team, and I wouldn't put money on them even making the FF. (They might, because McGraw is that good). Obviously, she'll still be a very high pick due to her popularity. Sadly, that will get her picked higher than Kelly, even though if I were a GM and wanted to actually win games, Kelly would be a no-brainer.

I am not saying I think they should change the rule, just that hers is an interesting case.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Kim is absolutely right. Sims is the best PG in the country. Speaking of guard play, I like McBride's game better than Skylar's as well. That kid is tough.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who Kim assigns Odyssey to guard if they meet in the tournament...and who Geno will assign Kelly to guard in January...?

Reaction Score
Wow. I also like the little dig about never stops guarding people...I HATE Skylar's defense. She does that BS "let you get by me then foul you but make it look like a steal". Terrible. Won't cut it in the WNBA, that's for sure.

It's true, though. Honestly, most of Skylar's popularity is from Twitter and her looks. I doubt Odyssey cares about that, especially when she's got a NC. I seriously doubt Skylar will ever get one of those.

I watched last nite's game as the rest of you did! I admit,I was rooting for Baylor,wanting them to crush ND and Diggins!
What I saw further confirmed my belief that O. Sims is not only much better than Diggins,but that Baylor continues to look very beatable! Most of Diggins "popularity on Twitter is due to her looks". She should have spent the summer working on her game not interning at ESPN! That of course does beg the question of whether she is more interested in being a "STAR" then being able to play like one! Give me Kelly
over Diggins!!!

Last of all Kim's remarks were not "suttle" at all;)
Ira

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mulkey is a bit annoying, but her honesty is refreshing.

I too think that Sims is a superior PG to Diggins. However there is another college point guard out there that I would take over either one..... both in college.. and if I were drafting for a WNBA team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Mulkey said that Sims is the best PG in the country and I would not argue with that. In her comments, Sims said something to the effect that when she and Diggins go head-to-head that it's two great guards going at it -- and I will not argue with that.

My view is that the best guard on the court in the ND/Baylor game was Jewel Lloyd.

Reaction Score
Funny that such an average player that's overrated has been able to have her way with great defensive teams like UConn and Baylor since she's become ND's pg. Prior to last night she's averaged over 20pts a game against UConn and Baylor since the 10-11 season. She was more than credited, hyped, critiqed...whatever you want to call it before her first F4 run before Twitter. When I looked across the stands when she was in high school and caught a glimpse of McGraw, Goestenkors, Vanderveer, and Summitt sitting next to each other all recruiting her I should have known it was because of the media attention she'll get 4 years in the future. Players earn the hype when they perform on the biggest stage. Diggins has done it every time up until last night. Her NCAA stats alone prove she's been at her best when the stage is biggest. When ND says she's their leader and she makes them go they mean it. She has a long history of success prior to her media explosion. Be happy if you'd like that she had a bad performance because you're not a fan of hers, but to use that as a way to diminish and dismiss everything she's proven on the court is silly. This is such a double standard that with fans of women's basketball. Fans demand that the ones getting attention be the absolute best only when it comes to women. The men have tons of players that get good press and no one gets pissy because someone that may or may not be the best is getting attention. It's not like Diggins hasn't put up the numbers and results to earn some credit. She's done it against the best competition and on the biggest stages. She was by all means the weak link last night, but that doesn't erase all the times she's carried and lead ND.

Reaction Score
If Skylar doesn't turn it around this season, and if ND doesn't do much, I believe we'll see a big shift in Diggins' popularity and where she is chosen in the WNBA draft. Popularity can be ephemeral in this Twitter world we now live in.

Regarding Mulkey, she looked quite glamorous last night. When I saw those pants, I started to scan the news for missing boa constrictors at local zoos. :D

Reaction Score
What many aren't mentioning is you have to credit a lot of Loyd's success last night to the respect BU's defense had to show Diggins. Diggins out on top was drawing attention, allowing Loyd more freedom on the low wing/corner, where to her credit she didn't miss often.

Diggins impacted the game in ways other than just shooting, but her shooting was not good at all last night.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't think any1 is saying that Skylar is not a good player and understand that some would say she's a great player. What most are saying is she's not the best PG in College WBB, IMHO that honor goes to Odyssey Sims and has since Odyssey's freshmen year. In comparison to the media attention/hype, Skylars gets most of it, and Media;especially ESPN play little or no attention to Sims.

Funny that such an average player that's overrated has been able to have her way with great defensive teams like UConn and Baylor since she's become ND's pg. Prior to last night she's averaged over 20pts a game against UConn and Baylor since the 10-11 season. She was more than credited, hyped, critiqed...whatever you want to call it before her first F4 run before Twitter. When I looked across the stands when she was in high school and caught a glimpse of McGraw, Goestenkors, Vanderveer, and Summitt sitting next to each other all recruiting her I should have known it was because of the media attention she'll get 4 years in the future. Players earn the hype when they perform on the biggest stage. Diggins has done it every time up until last night. Her NCAA stats alone prove she's been at her best when the stage is biggest. When ND says she's their leader and she makes them go they mean it. She has a long history of success prior to her media explosion. Be happy if you'd like that she had a bad performance because you're not a fan of hers, but to use that as a way to diminish and dismiss everything she's proven on the court is silly. This is such a double standard that with fans of women's basketball. Fans demand that the ones getting attention be the absolute best only when it comes to women. The men have tons of players that get good press and no one gets pissy because someone that may or may not be the best is getting attention. It's not like Diggins hasn't put up the numbers and results to earn some credit. She's done it against the best competition and on the biggest stages. She was by all means the weak link last night, but that doesn't erase all the times she's carried and lead ND.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What many aren't mentioning is you have to credit a lot of Loyd's success last night to the respect BU's defense had to show Diggins. Diggins out on top was drawing attention, allowing Loyd more freedom on the low wing/corner, where to her credit she didn't miss often.

Diggins impacted the game in ways other than just shooting, but her shooting was not good at all last night.

Diggins' shooting hasn't been good so far this season, with the exception of the Cent Michigan game where her points were needed. She's also been turning the ball over too much, though that may be the result of new teammates. She just doesn't look like the same player.

Reaction Score
This year, her stats are down, she is being out-shadowed on her own team,

Put Sims on Loyd and whoever on Diggins and let me know how the stats look.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I think you've got the gist of it. Last year defenders had to worry about Diggins, Novasel and Peters, this year teams are keying on Diggins. That's one of the reasons that Loyd, although she's a wonderful player, was able to get free so often. But if Diggins is a first team AA, she's got to get more done. Shooting 4-19 (0-5 from the arc) isn't getting it done. I'm especially amazed she didn't get to the free throw line last night and that stat is illuminating. Aggressive offensive players get to the line - Geno beats that drum constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom