Baylor - KY box score: chinks in the Baylor armor? | The Boneyard

Baylor - KY box score: chinks in the Baylor armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Unbalanced scoring. 69 of 85 points came from Griner, Sims, (45 just from those 2) Williams and Pope.. Rest of the team shot very poorly.

0 for 3 from three? Looks like all of their scoring was in the paint.. Is Sims the only 3 point threat?

22 turnovers vs. 19 assists. And KY's press nothing to do with that, simply because they pressed very little.

23 for 36 on FT's, or 64%.. Sims and Griner combined for 13 of 15.

Geno would be going nuts with offensive stats like that.

(sorry, my stupid tablet won't let me link the box score)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Quote from Mulkey post game:

On how the team responded to what was considered their first real challenge:
“I thought there were three keys to the game and the players listened and did pretty well. We wanted to eliminate their transition baskets. We wanted to make sure that we didn’t turn the basketball over, and we wanted to keep their perimeter players off the offense boards. Now when you look at the final stat sheets, some of that doesn’t look good. But you got to understand when you’re able to play your entire team on national television against the sixth-ranked team in the country, you’re doing something right. We were able to play enough minutes for the main rotation players, but yet give experience to the players that are going to have to help us down the road.”

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/111312abb.html

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know how much you can read into one game. Griner and Simms were forces. In 2 games so far you have what most would probably expect...

Griner 26 PPG
Simms 15 PPG
Williams 11 PPG
Pope 9 PPG
Hayden and Madden - 6 PPG (I rounded the numbers).

I agree Baylor's 3-point shooting has not been on display, and it's possible they don't have a ton of outside shooting. But who needs it when your 3 post players are averaging 45 PPG? Griner's going to be the NPOY I would think. You'd expect her to average 22-25 PPG this year.

I have a feeling in big games you won't see Baylor go much more than 7 deep. And I bet Kim is working on any deficiencies we've noticed. Who will challenge Baylor? we won't know really any answers until they play UCONN. I'm actually looking forward to them pounding the snot out of ND and Tennessee in December...

Reaction Score
I don't know how much you can read into one game. Griner and Simms were forces. In 2 games so far you have what most would probably expect...

Griner 26 PPG
Simms 15 PPG
Williams 11 PPG
Pope 9 PPG
Hayden and Madden - 6 PPG (I rounded the numbers).

I agree Baylor's 3-point shooting has not been on display, and it's possible they don't have a ton of outside shooting. But who needs it when your 3 post players are averaging 45 PPG? Griner's going to be the NPOY I would think. You'd expect her to average 22-25 PPG this year.

I have a feeling in big games you won't see Baylor go much more than 7 deep. And I bet Kim is working on any deficiencies we've noticed. Who will challenge Baylor? we won't know really any answers until they play UCONN. I'm actually looking forward to them pounding the snot out of ND and Tennessee in December...

I watched the game and followed their exhibition games! At the moment there are 6 players! We have all<other than easttexas> been in agreement that a healthy Prince should be the 7th! Kentucky is not in the same league as Baylor and us IMHO! They could not stop Griner,nor Simms and Williams! I would suspect Pope will get more time in any "close game"! That may not occur until Feb 18th!

The defense is really good and Griner is better than last season. I do think that with the addition of the 3 FR along with the huge improvement in CD,Banks,KLM,Steph,KF,and the potential of Kiah* we can go 9* deep and present matchups that no other team in the country can do against them. Ahh I forgot Bria! <<< Until she is actually playing I am not counting on her. Of course a healthy Bria adds so much,I hope she is back when all are agreed she is healthy!

The Feb 18th date is a bit more than 3 months away. I expect them to come in with a 65 game winning streak. I have to add for discussion,why Kiah got only 9 mins! In the 2 previous games she had 14 blocks/7pg those are Griner #s. Is she creating problems for herself/and the team in recent practices? I don't know! A committed Kiah and a healthy Bria along with everything else we have, makes for a monster heavy weight fight! I love our chances! Taking nothing from a great Baylor team! We led at Baylor by 11 points,but we had difficulty as noted finishing close games! This team is more mature and certainly Stewie and Morgan are not your typical FR;) Mo is in a position where it is not all on her and she can play a supporting role this season progressing as the season goes on.

We certainly will be watching them closely all season.

Notes and thoughts on ND and Duke are worth more discussion! triduke would know what the latest status is of Williams,Henson,Jackson and Wells. Williams played 15 mins in the Blue and White game agaainst male players before coming out and not playing since. The other 3 have not played in their 3 exhibition games! Against the guys<I suspect are very good intramural players >they lost 70-69.

The next 2 games were against Div 3**** teams!! They destroyed them!
hmmm. Peters,Jones,and I think it was Lister had huge #s!
Ira

I certainly do not want to see a pattern of 8 pts in the last 9 plus mins. That was a reminder....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In fairness though, if you could score at will in the paint, why would you take _any_ 3s?

That was my thought, too - when is the last time a top team destroyed another top 20 team by 40+ without the use of the 3-pt line? A scary thought.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Up to this point Baylor hasnt shot the 3 well even in exhibition games. So with UConns height pack it in and with our height it will be tuff for Baylor to get an outside shot other then a 3. It will also be tuff getting the ball into Griner. UConn Baylor will be a War. A real battle.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
On 9 January, 2010, UConn beat seventh ranked UNC 88-47, with only 3 three pointers. Doesn't quite qualify – if all had been missed the margin of 41 would have been 32, which isn't 40+. The point is not to prove you wrong, but to show how hard it is to find a close example.

We beat Oklahoma with zero threes in 2002 (IIRC) but that was close to a beat-down.

Reaction Score
I thought Baylor looked awfully good in general. Griner seemed to be coasting, not necessarily in a bad way either. Almost like the game has really slowed down for her. We know OS is a gamer; 5 starters back; bring it on -- should be a helluva matchup. We very well may play twice and sometimes losing the first one isn't all bad. I'll always remember when Alcindor lost to Elvin Hayes in round 1 and then routed them when it counted the most.

Reaction Score
WELLLLL in that ist game "Lew" had an injured<scratched cornea> which had necessitated his having a patch on it the entire week! Lew<Kareem> could only see out of one eye! They lost for the ist time in his college career 71-69! In a Semi Final rematch Lew <Kareem> healthy, helped UCLA destroy Houston and Elvin Hayes 101-69!

Unless for the most part you were an avid BRUINS Fan as I was,other aspects of the game are remembered!Houston and UCLA were both undefeated AAs Lew Alcindor vs Elvin Hayes Hayes had a tremendous game and Lew had the worst game of his college career It was played in the Astro Dome by far the most people/venue to watch a game and it was shown Nationally prime time! The ist time a regular season game was shown Nationally and prime time!
It is funny what flashes by and gets accessed from long ago!
Ira

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that it's within easy living memory of those days for basketball. NBA playoff games were frequently shown late at night on "tape-delay". If you didn't want to have the result spoiled for you, you had to avoid the sports on the 11 o'clock news. During the regular season you had the NBA Sunday "game of the week", and usually a college doubleheader on Saturday afternoons IIRC. So it was a huge thing that the UCLA-Houston matchup was given such national tv prominence.

Reaction Score
I think a lot will depend on Simms. If she disrupts our guards it will be a long night. I don't think she gets the credit she deserves. I think you want to get in her head with traps and charges when she drives the lane. The other thing is if we are hitting our 3's it will be a long night for them. Especially if whoever Griner is covering can pull her outside opening up the inside to mismatches and back doors. Should be a real battle. I think I would give them the edge in the first game due to experience and the toughness of Simms.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor's bench is not going to add nearly what UCONN's will. However, Baylor's first 7 will be incredibly hard to beat. Pope and Prince will both be capable of scoring in double digits on any give night. I personally like a 7 to 8 player rotation. Too many players coming in and out of the game can break a team's rhythm.

I think that by the end of the season another player or two will earn Kim's trust enough to play a bigger role, but no matter how well someone plays it is simply going to be hard to get minutes with such a strong core group. In big games, if player enters the game and makes a mistake Kim is very quick to pull the plug on them. It will be very interesting to see how she develops the rest of the talent on the team and who steps up and show that they deserve playing time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what Geno/Chris' strategy is for this game. Who is going to try to defend Griner with the ball? Only Heather had much success with that. Are the going to play Sims more to deny the entry pass to Griner or to stop her from scoring? Is Breanna's primarily offensive? Do we just try to out score them as opposed to throwing a lot of bodies at Griner? How will Mulky respond? Who does Griner defend? Will she come out to guard Breanna? Two very good coaches are going to face off with some interesting pieces to put in play. The chess match between them will be nearly as interesting as the atheleticism of the players. I'm looking forward to it. Huge game that will promote the sport by drawing in casual fans, much the way the way the old UConn/Tennessee games did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom