Baylor is BIG | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor is BIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
From what I saw, most of Collier's points came in the paint. That is going to be a lot harder to accomplish against the size that Baylor can throw at you. If Williams and Nurse don't have better games it is going to be hard for UCONN to put points on the board. The outside shooting will have to be stellar.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All due respect, did you watch the volleyball match the Baylor bigs performed under the basket? Baylor didn't play particularly well, but their 4's and 5 were at times unstoppable underneath. UCLA played as I expect UConn eventually will-fast, good shooters, etc. but eventually couldn't keep ball from going inside. Love KLS, but she doesn't rebound like 6'3". Baylor plays to their height. Collier plays bigger than her listed height as does Williams but thin bench will hurt. Looking forward to watching game.
I did watch and no disrespect here either but UCLA is not UCONN. Baylor vs. UCLA was a close game until late in the game when Baylor pulled away. If UCLA was playing UCONN I would have expected a similar result. Baylor goes on the road, I am not saying UCONN is going to win the paint battle with Baylor, I'm saying the difference in height is "manageable" for UCONN and will not be decisive to the outcome.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kim REALLY tightens her rotation in big games. The group she had on the floor in the second half took it to UCLA, outscoring them by 21 points and hold UCLA to a very low shooting percentage. Kim tinkered a little in the first half with different combinations but when she found one that worked she rode it for the rest of the game.

I am hoping that Cave is back Thursday night as she is a post player that Kim has a lot of trust in. She has been out of the first two games due to the passing of her grandfather and I am not sure when she is expected to rejoin the team.

Last night Cox got a good feel of what big-time WCBB is all about. I think the speed of the game surprised her and Kim didn't leave her on the floor long enough for her to adjust. Hopefully she will get a little more playing time Thursday, which I suspect she will. Her size at the high post will be an asset against a relatively short UCONN lineup.

Ah, Ms. Cave -- the third post player. Whoa, Kim can throw/tinker her combinations of posts while keep her "steady eddies" -- the poise players -- on the floor. Should be a really intriguing match.

I was a little surprised, particularly now that you have told me about Cave's absence, that Mulkey limited Cox to 4 minutes. On the other hand, Erin Boley has also found the game to be run at a faster tempo and that was against Central Michigan (who granted had some speed). She found her footing a bit better against a more pedestrian-paced Fordham team. She'll get there...one thing I have noticed: she's got a stroke and her FT-shooting is sublime.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I did watch and no disrespect here either but UCLA is not UCONN. Baylor vs. UCLA was a close game until late in the game when Baylor pulled away. If UCLA was playing UCONN I would have expected a similar result. Baylor goes on the road, I am not saying UCONN is going to win the paint battle with Baylor, I'm saying the difference in height is "manageable" for UCONN and will not be decisive to the outcome.

Baylor was not very good in the first half. But Baylor dominated UCLA in the second half. Play this game again and Baylor wins by 30.

Reaction Score
Now we have Baylor.
And yes Baylor is a top ranked opponent coached by a really good coach, Kim Mulkey. They have a huge roster, Kalani Brown 6'7"/Khad Cave 6'3"/Lauren Cox 6'4"/Beatrice Mompremier 6'4", an ultra-athletic F, Nina Davis, and 3 pretty good G's in Alexis Jones, Alexis Prince and Kristy Wallace. But they are not a quick or fast team and are still not very strong beyond the 3 point line! So they must do their damage inside 12'.
Look for UCONN to play much of the game in a zone, which they used successfully vs FSU!
Their freshman, Lauren Cox if I'm not mistaken has been their top scorer in preseason, and I think Geno has worked out some plans for Miss Cox! Brown led the Bears with 25 points and 19 Rebs vs UCLA!
UCLA is no UCONN, even with the 1st game jitters the Huskies showed vs FSU they are a challenge for the Bears!
Uconn as I stated is fast and has many weapons both inside and out and I think the Bears will have as much trouble keeping up with the running Huskies attacking from all 5 positions as NYY Pitcher, Joba Chamberlain, had with the "midges" in Cleveland in 2007 both offensively & defensively!
Kia Nurse was terrible vs FSU in all facets of the game, even making a bonehead foul vs a 3 point shooter so we can bank on a return to normalcy for Ms. Nurse!
UCONN will win by 5 to 8+ points! Also taking into effect that the game is at Gampel, with 10,061 fans which is worth at least 10 points!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, Ms. Cave -- the third post player. Whoa, Kim can throw/tinker her combinations of posts while keep her "steady eddies" -- the poise players -- on the floor. Should be a really intriguing match. I was a little surprised, particularly now that you have told me about Cave's absence, that Mulkey limited Cox to 4 minutes. On the other hand, Erin Boley has also found the game to be run at a faster tempo and that was against Central Michigan (who granted had some speed). She found her footing a bit better against a more pedestrian-paced Fordham team. She'll get there...one thing I have noticed: she's got a stroke and her FT-shooting is sublime.
Not exactly a stellar start for most of the 2016 class. In addition to Erin , Tori McCoy fouled out of game in 16 Minutes. Holmes in Texas looks either lost or misplaced in the post. Fingall at Stanford 4 minutes.
On the positive side C. Johnson at Louisville is in the starting line up and doing well so far.

Reaction Score
The number 9 team in the nation is a cupcake? UCLA is a very good team. What would have happened in the FSU game had Romero been playing? I suspect that the outcome may have been a bit different.

But, home court makes a major difference. It is hard to go on the road and beat a top 5 team.
Just how good is ucla? When was the last time they made the final 4? I will bet anyone ucla doesn't stay in the top 10 maybe not in the top 25. Baylor always plays cupcakes just look at their schedule last year. The only reason they agreed to play uconn is kim thinks they have a shot to beat them, and she is in for a dose of reality.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Just how good is ucla? When was the last time they made the final 4? I will bet anyone ucla doesn't stay in the top 10 maybe not in the top 25. Baylor always plays cupcakes just look at their schedule last year. The only reason they agreed to play uconn is kim thinks they have a shot to beat them, and she is in for a dose of reality.

Man, who peed in your Cheerios today?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not exactly a stellar start for most of the 2016 class. In addition to Erin , Tori McCoy fouled out of game in 16 Minutes. Holmes in Texas looks either lost or misplaced in the post. Fingall at Stanford 4 minutes.
On the positive side C. Johnson at Louisville is in the starting line up and doing well so far.

Jackie Young gets an incomplete because a thumb injury has sidelined her so far. Hoping that is not of
"nagging and still-around" variety...the Irish can use her talents.

As per Louisville, see Asia Durr has taken control of the rock so far. Once competition gets a little stiffer, will look for Hines-Allen to start asserting herself more.

On the "other frosh" front, see Kylee Shook got minutes at forward. I'll make note of Sam Fuehring's PT over the games. The sophomore, NJ native is another McDonald's All-American who was getting some minutes by the end of the season as a frosh last year, but there's a log jam there with Hines-Allen, Moore and now Shook. All of them will be around next year and Coach Jeff is bringing in another big. Hmmm....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jackie Young gets an incomplete because a thumb injury has sidelined her so far. Hoping that is not of
"nagging and still-around" variety...the Irish can use her talents.

As per Louisville, see Asia Durr has taken control of the rock so far. Once competition gets a little stiffer, will look for Hines-Allen to start asserting herself more.

On the "other frosh" front, see Kylee Shook got minutes at forward. I'll make note of Sam Fuehring's PT over the games. The sophomore, NJ native is another McDonald's All-American who was getting some minutes by the end of the season as a frosh last year, but there's a log jam there with Hines-Allen, Moore and now Shook. All of them will be around next year and Coach Jeff is bringing in another big. Hmmm....
Loved Fuehring in McDonald's All-American game. She made a baseline reverse layup that was and would have been surprisingly athletic for guard for a guard.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Loved Fuehring in McDonald's All-American game. She made a baseline reverse layup that was and would have been surprisingly athletic for guard for a guard.

She's a heady, surprisingly athletic player who I fear might get lost in the personnel shuffle out there.
I'm not suggesting this (I like our Cardinal contributors!) but I always thought she'd be a natural for Doug Bruno and DePaul.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me the Baylor UConn game is a game I dont know what to expect. UConn just came off a terrific game where they found a way to win. It was their first game without the Big 3 and they figured it out and got the job done against a very good team. Baylor is another very good team. A different team. We will see if UConn got rid of the first game jitters. We will see alot on Thursday night. I expect to see UConn play better then they did against Fl St. Baylor will be sky high for this game. Many had their doubts about the FL St game and as poorly as UConn played they pulled it out. FL St had their chances late in the game and didnt cash in. Now if UConn beats Baylor there will be a new expectation on how good this UConn team is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For me the Baylor UConn game is a game I dont know what to expect. UConn just came off a terrific game where they found a way to win. It was their first game without the Big 3 and they figured it out and got the job done against a very good team. Baylor is another very good team. A different team. We will see if UConn got rid of the first game jitters. We will see alot on Thursday night. I expect to see UConn play better then they did against Fl St. Baylor will be sky high for this game. Many had their doubts about the FL St game and as poorly as UConn played they pulled it out. FL St had their chances late in the game and didnt cash in. Now if UConn beats Baylor there will be a new expectation on how good this UConn team is.

I agree, Tony. That was a big test for a team that has just really started playing together as this unit. I thought Baylor also had some first game jitters in the first half against UCLA, going down by 7 at the half and at times down double digits. But they seemed to gain their focus in the second half.

I had voted Collier as the player that would make the biggest leap for UCONN and I was right. She is a super player and I hope Baylor can contain her. I also expect Samuelson to shoot better in the comfort of her home arena. As a shooter that can make a huge difference.

Like you, I have no idea what to expect Thursday night. I would not be surprised to see UCONN win and I would not be surprised if Baylor were to win. I think it could go either way. I just hope it is as exciting as the FSU game.

Reaction Score
Just a thought, but if Gabby and KLS have their game on along with the other starters, we might see a different game than played against FSU.

I'll put a Canadian 10 cent piece on it that you shall see a better more poised team taking thoughtful shots--with minimal fouling.

Reaction Score
I agree, Tony. That was a big test for a team that has just really started playing together as this unit. I thought Baylor also had some first game jitters in the first half against UCLA, going down by 7 at the half and at times down double digits. But they seemed to gain their focus in the second half.

I had voted Collier as the player that would make the biggest leap for UCONN and I was right. She is a super player and I hope Baylor can contain her. I also expect Samuelson to shoot better in the comfort of her home arena. As a shooter that can make a huge difference.

Like you, I have no idea what to expect Thursday night. I would not be surprised to see UCONN win and I would not be surprised if Baylor were to win. I think it could go either way. I just hope it is as exciting as the FSU game.

For nearly 2 years I've touted Collier--you saw in the FSu game the Collier I saw in USA play. She's a keeper and she'll only get better--same with Crystal.

Samuelson--takes a game or two to get her head back into scoring--this year it's a bit difference the pressure is on her (or so she thinks) to be MS everything--score, assist, defend, rebound--she tried to do too much---as did Gabby they have to let the game come to them --not rush their shots--realize defense is their key to success and that rebounding won't be as easy as in the past. Stop the ball before it gets into the bigs of the opponents--take it away in the half court and run their offense--don't try to put 100 points on the board. Butler and Chong were very bright spots in the FSu game..

Reaction Score
Back in the 2004 Men's National Semifinal, Coach K had a stable full of bigs, and he threw them all at Okafor, to no avail. Three of them fouled out beating up Emeka (Shelden Williams, 6'9; Shavlik Randolph, 6'10; Nick Horvath 6'10) but he outlasted them all by playing smart (and Coach C benching him with 2 fouls in the first half to save him for the second). C outcoached K in the defacto National Championship game because he didn't let a little thing like height beat him.

Our girls are smart, and so are our coaches; they will deal with the height differential. As for the rebounds, well, we'll keep them off the defensive boards by making all of our shots. Simple.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Back in the 2004 Men's National Semifinal, Coach K had a stable full of bigs, and he threw them all at Okafor, to no avail. Three of them fouled out beating up Emeka (Shelden Williams, 6'9; Shavlik Randolph, 6'10; Nick Horvath 6'10) but he outlasted them all by playing smart (and Coach C benching him with 2 fouls in the first half to save him for the second). C outcoached K in the defacto National Championship game because he didn't let a little thing like height beat him.
Our girls are smart, and so are our coaches; they will deal with the height differential. As for the rebounds, well, we'll keep them off the defensive boards by making all of our shots. Simple.
LoL. Emeka Okafor is 6'10" and built like a tank. I would be ashamed of him if he got beat up by Candace Parker's soon to be ex-husband. But your main point is very strong.

Reaction Score
Not to worry: our guys have 2 full days to go on a growth spurt!

As we say here in Wisconsin…it’s in the cheese..

I have a shipment of Kurds, next day air, being sent to Geno as we speak

Reaction Score
Having lived in Wisconsin for 2 decades, our family was a huge fan of the 5 year old cheddar.

You sent Kurds? Did they get out of Syria okay? :)

AHHH MAN!....that's what i get for not checking my spelling..LOL!

5 year cheddar..love it too....have you tried the 15 year?...gooooood but pricy...

Reaction Score
Crashing the boards against Baylor is going to take a team effort. Natalie by herself will not be able to control the boards. MoJeff got her share of rebounds. If she can rebound, so can this year's team.

Reaction Score
Baylor is very big and very deep in that position. We have no size really to compete 40 minutes with that. The good thing is Baylor can only play so many bigs at a time. I want to go out and give GENO some credit and here is why. Most coaches who have a young team or a team that lost a lot of senior leadership would not go out and schedule the toughest out of confrence schedule I have seen in some time. GENO could have scheduled a cup cake schedule and let his team keep the streak alive and not have any real tests. But GENO doesn't care about the streaks or losses... What he cares about is getting his team prepared for March. This is why I loved and respected the great pat summit. She would play anyone anytime any place. This team in my opinion has the toughest out of confrence schedule then anyone in the nation. I can see uconn losing quite a few of those big games. And trust me it's ok... The streak has to come to a end at some time. The point I'm making is... Once the tourney comes uconn would have faced the best out there and will only get better as the season goes. Come March they will be one of the on favorites to get to Dallas. Like GENO says once u get to the final four its anyone's chance to cut the nets down. Baylor is big and has depth... But this is why I'm so excited cause this season is full of parity and tons of talent spread around!! As much as my nerves were shot last night ... For the first time in a long time it was great to see a game come right down to the final shot. I see many upsets this year and the polls changing a lot this season!! It's going to be a great year for women's basketball.... Parity is finally here!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that the most negative thing that came out of the FSU game for UConn was the small number of steals and forced turnovers. I don't see how they can compete seriously against Baylor unless they can get more than 15 Baylor turnovers, maybe a lot more, and score on a lot of them. A blowout in the wrong direction is possible if the play is predominantly in the half-court, or if UConn cannot disrupt passes into the post or make them prohibitively difficult by picking up the guards near mid-court.

With a small, fast team playing against a fleet of battleships, turnovers and tipped passes are absolutely an essential part of the defense. I really expected to see much more of that against FSU, particularly since FSU was Romero-less.

I also think that Natalie has to play 25 to 30 minutes and have a good defensive game. I'm thinking she may start in Kia's place, just for this one game.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
For the first time in a long time it was great to see a game come right down to the final shot

Yes that would be the infamous Stanford game. can't believe we have not have as highly contested a game in 73 matches. How many more wins can we squeeze out at the last minute?

IMO with the experience a team like, let's say SC, has in personnel I can't see us able to salvage as much if it comes down to final minutes. and oh my.....Kaela Davis....I knew she'd be a force I just didn't think she'd be such a volume scorer on that team of great scorers. at least we have until February to figure it out

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor starting five:
6'4" Mompremier
5'11" Davis
5'9" Jones
6'2" Prince
5'11" Wallace

UCONN Starting 5 :
6'3" KLS
6'1" Collier
6'0" Nurse
5'11" Williams
5'8" Chong

Perfectly manageable. Baylor 6'7" coming off the bench will be matched by UCONN 6'5".
Baylor beat UCLA by wearing them down with their size inside in the second half. UCLA didn't have the stamina to play at the same pace as they did in the first half. When their legs gave out their 3 point shots either fell short or were overlong from overcompensation. Also when your legs tire you stop driving and start settling for early shots. Work them hard on both ends, be precise on offense, limit your fouls (I'm talking to you Gabby), limit your turnovers, and The UConn has a good shot. Nevertheless, there is a reason I think ND is #1 and Baylor is #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom