Baylor is BIG | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Baylor is BIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think that the most negative thing that came out of the FSU game for UConn was the small number of steals and forced turnovers. I don't see how they can compete seriously against Baylor unless they can get more than 15 Baylor turnovers, maybe a lot more, and score on a lot of them. A blowout in the wrong direction is possible if the play is predominantly in the half-court, or if UConn cannot disrupt passes into the post or make them prohibitively difficult by picking up the guards near mid-court.

With a small, fast team playing against a fleet of battleships, turnovers and tipped passes are absolutely an essential part of the defense. I really expected to see much more of that against FSU, particularly since FSU was Romero-less.

I also think that Natalie has to play 25 to 30 minutes and have a good defensive game. I'm thinking she may start in Kia's place, just for this one game.
The problem there as compared to last year was the ability for UConn to overplay the passing lanes on the offense end with the knowledge that they had a mistake eraser in the lane. This team doesn't have that. They've attempted to increase their steals by pressing, but that has had limited success, especially since UConn presses on made baskets, and plays a set defense on misses.

Reaction Score
Jordy, your analysis is pretty accurate. UCLA used the three to establish at one point a ten point lead on Baylor. Those threes stopped falling in the second half and Baylor pulled away. Brown/ post position has to be limited in their damage. Key to the game, IMHO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Jordy, your analysis is pretty accurate. UCLA used the three to establish at one point a ten point lead on Baylor. Those threes stopped falling in the second half and Baylor pulled away. Brown/ post position has to be limited in their damage. Key to the game, IMHO.

UCLA shot lights out in the first half and I was praying that it didn't continue into the second half. Baylor's defense got much tighter on the shooters, which is a big part of the reason the Louisville-like shooting didn't continue. I think Kim gave the players a good chewing at halftime and got their attention.

Reaction Score
Baylor is very big and very deep in that position. We have no size really to compete 40 minutes with that. The good thing is Baylor can only play so many bigs at a time. I want to go out and give GENO some credit and here is why. Most coaches who have a young team or a team that lost a lot of senior leadership would not go out and schedule the toughest out of confrence schedule I have seen in some time. GENO could have scheduled a cup cake schedule and let his team keep the streak alive and not have any real tests. But GENO doesn't care about the streaks or losses... What he cares about is getting his team prepared for March. This is why I loved and respected the great pat summit. She would play anyone anytime any place. This team in my opinion has the toughest out of confrence schedule then anyone in the nation. I can see uconn losing quite a few of those big games. And trust me it's ok... The streak has to come to a end at some time. The point I'm making is... Once the tourney comes uconn would have faced the best out there and will only get better as the season goes. Come March they will be one of the on favorites to get to Dallas. Like GENO says once u get to the final four its anyone's chance to cut the nets down. Baylor is big and has depth... But this is why I'm so excited cause this season is full of parity and tons of talent spread around!! As much as my nerves were shot last night ... For the first time in a long time it was great to see a game come right down to the final shot. I see many upsets this year and the polls changing a lot this season!! It's going to be a great year for women's basketball.... Parity is finally here!!

I do believe that Geno did say that when he set this year's schedule he believed that Morgan Tuck would be back with the team and admitted that he would have lightened up a bit if he knew she was leaving.......................

Reaction Score
I do believe that Geno did say that when he set this year's schedule he believed that Morgan Tuck would be back with the team and admitted that he would have lightened up a bit if he knew she was leaving........
I doubt it he's just making light of it.... He knew she wasn't coming back... GENO is a mastermind .. He knows what he's doing ...

Reaction Score
I doubt it he's just making light of it.... He knew she wasn't coming back... GENO is a mastermind .. He knows what he's doing ...
I do believe that Geno did say that when he set this year's schedule he believed that Morgan Tuck would be back with the team and admitted that he would have lightened up a bit if he knew she was leaving........
Great coaches and great programs know to be the best u have to play the best... Don't fear the loss... It's not about what looks good on paper or what your record looks like after a schedule of cupcakes.... Go out there play the best and win or lose will only make you stronger come March... Put your team in moments early that your not comfortable ... Be challenged early so u can learn grow and become better in the process.... That's what makes a true champion... In GENO we trust!!!!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor beat UCLA by wearing them down with their size inside in the second half. UCLA didn't have the stamina to play at the same pace as they did in the first half. When their legs gave out their 3 point shots either fell short or were overlong from overcompensation. Also when your legs tire you stop driving and start settling for early shots. Work them hard on both ends, be precise on offense, limit your fouls (I'm talking to you Gabby), limit your turnovers, and The UConn has a good shot. Nevertheless, there is a reason I think ND is #1 and Baylor is #2.

The interesting thing is that other than Brown, Baylor did not have a lot of size. However, Brown was fresh in the second half and buried her defender over and over. Alexis Prince does add size to the perimeter at 6-2, but the other three players were 5-9, 5-11 and 5-11. Not once in the second half did Mulkey have two "bigs" in the game at the same time.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Blast from the past: I read from the forum listing here that "Baylor is BG"...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
QUOTE="BroadwayVa, post: 1890636, member: 6118"]For nearly 2 years I've touted Collier--you saw in the FSu game the Collier I saw in USA play. She's a keeper and she'll only get better..[/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that you were not alone or the first in praising Collier. The earliest, perhaps first praise came from @Sluconn Husky . He said something along the lines of:

Napheesa Collier is laughably good. I find myself just laughing at the things she does now. What a display of hands, skill, constant motion, athleticism....She put on a show. Boykin was really good too, much better than the other games I've seen. KLS didn't play.

But again, this whole tourney has been Collier's. She drained three long range jumpers, blocked several shots, rebounded like Dennis Rodman at times, and continued to show her great knack of scoring around the hoop. She's been shooting poorly from the foul line but looked really good on her last 3-4 attempts. Anyone who doesn't think she's the best player in her class at this point is kidding themselves.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that other than Brown, Baylor did not have a lot of size. However, Brown was fresh in the second half and buried her defender over and over. Alexis Prince does add size to the perimeter at 6-2, but the other three players were 5-9, 5-11 and 5-11. Not once in the second half did Mulkey have two "bigs" in the game at the same time.
Absolutely right. UCLA's legs gave out on the as they couldn't maintain the pace the set in the first half. At the end it was Baylor that was running up and down the court.

Reaction Score
I think that the most negative thing that came out of the FSU game for UConn was the small number of steals and forced turnovers. I don't see how they can compete seriously against Baylor unless they can get more than 15 Baylor turnovers, maybe a lot more, and score on a lot of them. A blowout in the wrong direction is possible if the play is predominantly in the half-court, or if UConn cannot disrupt passes into the post or make them prohibitively difficult by picking up the guards near mid-court.

With a small, fast team playing against a fleet of battleships, turnovers and tipped passes are absolutely an essential part of the defense. I really expected to see much more of that against FSU, particularly since FSU was Romero-less.

I also think that Natalie has to play 25 to 30 minutes and have a good defensive game. I'm thinking she may start in Kia's place, just for this one game.

I was with you quite a bit until the last sentence. IMO you can't look to deliberately slow down the game without strong guard play and play Baylor's game because you're scared. Nor should this team feel the pressure of the wining streak. Everyone and their brother is expecting them to lose games this year and a lot of those wins came due to the magnificent 3. In a way they should be playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Anyhow the ability to score will be essential because they can't keep Baylor completely off the boards or completely shut down their inside. But with good guard play they can consistently work for good shots. If they lose- so be it. Work to improve "what you are" for March. That's what UCONN should try to do until maybe the last half of the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
6'7"
6'4"
6'4"
6'3"

6'7"
6'4"
6'4"
6'3"
6'2"
6'2"
Don't know where this info came from. But from Baylor site : 6-4 Montremier, 6-2 Prince, 5-11 Davis, 5-11Wallace, 5-9 Jones all started. 6-7 Brown and 5-11 Chou played off the bench. Montpremiere and Brown rarely play together.

Reaction Score
5 players in double figures for points, and 30 assists/game. Only 2 games, but impressive.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For the record, Natalie Chou is 6-1, not 5-11. KK Cave, who stands 6-3, was not able to play as she was in South Carolina for her grandfather's funeral. Cave was voted as the 6th woman of the year in the Big 12 in her sophomore season and she will be a valuable part of the team this season. This is a player that Mulkey trusts as a senior.

Reaction Score
I agree Mike. There is no way Geno and staff were caught off guard by Tuck's decision to go to wnba. Uconn's practice of playing teams that will challege for a championship early in the season is great for the huskies, but especially good for wcbb. He wants the game to grow, and knows Huskies are the ambassadors. This is why I cannot understand Mulkey's attitude about espn. She could have scheduled Huskies the last few years and been on tv, or even scheduled more road games against other top teams. IMHO, this has really hurt Baylor in the tournament.

Reaction Score
You guys do realize that many of these out of conference games are scheduled years in advance. No way the coaches are going to completely know what players they will have at the time.

Reaction Score
The key to UConn winning will be to stop, not the "bigs", but Davis, Wallace and Jones. Let's face it. UConn has enough scoring punch to match and overcome whatever the Baylor "bigs" put up, but not enough to counter additional offensive contributions from Davis, Wallace and Jones. Besides, UConn matches better on those three than they do on the "bigs". So, IMO, that is where the defensive focus should be. I do not mean to imply, that the UConn defense should roll out the red carpet for Brown, Cox and M, but the defense should concentrate on the other 3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did watch and no disrespect here either but UCLA is not UCONN. Baylor vs. UCLA was a close game until late in the game when Baylor pulled away. If UCLA was playing UCONN I would have expected a similar result. Baylor goes on the road, I am not saying UCONN is going to win the paint battle with Baylor, I'm saying the difference in height is "manageable" for UCONN and will not be decisive to the outcome.
Aw what the hell not often I get to quote myself. @easttexastrash @HopJim @MikeR01950 consider this my I told you so.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Aw what the hell not often I get to quote myself. @easttexastrash @HopJim @MikeR01950 consider this my I told you so.

UCONN did a masterful job of collapsing around the Baylor post players. I have to give it to Geno and his ladies, they played one hell of a game. And the arena was also rocking and I think that did rattle the players down the stretch. After Baylor tied the game at 54 in the fourth quarter UCONN started a run, the crowd got into and the game was over.

Reaction Score
I might be wrong but I thought the return of Collier and the play of Crystal Dangerfield won the game after the 54 tie. No disrespect for the defensive play on the Baylor post players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom