Baylor hire? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Baylor hire?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Looks like Smith, Egbo, and Alabama transfer Jordan Lewis plan to stick around. A good foundation for year one. Could look a lot different in year 2. Really hope she can keep Maryam Dauda on board.

Reaction Score
The more important question is what happens to the Big12 conference. Will it be just TX and a little WV? The conference could fall behind the BE....

Reaction Score
The more important question is what happens to the Big12 conference. Will it be just TX and a little WV? The conference could fall behind the BE....
Middle/bottom of conference a bunch better than BE

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Middle/bottom of conference a bunch better than BE
This. Also, Iowa State was one blown call away from the Sweet 16 this year and has a chance to be even better next season.

Reaction Score
This is a little of a surprising hire. Didn’t a couple of assistants also interview? I wonder if at least the younger one will follow Coach Mulkey to LSU.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I can now just imagine all those empty seats at Farrell. ?

It sounds like lots of Baylor fans aren't gonna support this new coach.

Nikki McCray Penson had the entire fanbase supporting her because they all thought she was the bomb, and she flopped even with those highly favorable conditions. I highly doubt Collen would be worse. At worst, she sweeps through the entire Big 12 except for Vic, and is probably be seen as at least good though not at the level Baylor is used to playing.
Any particular reasons that the fans don't like the hire? Recent unknown in WCBB? Opinions of "better" options out there? Interesting.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The similarities to Collen and White's background is eerie. Like @Vowelguy said, the WNBA coaches have gotten slightly better but still can't compare to the top college coaches, add in the key recruiting concept and how to stay on the same wavelength as college kids vs. pros and I think anyone who just assumes the WNBA coaches will shine is sorely mistaken.

It would be hard for Collen to be as bad as White but no way do I think this was a "great hire" by Baylor. Recruiting and selling your program is essential to be an elite college coach and I do not see that in Collen.

This coming year should be ok for her as she has a good nucleus, just like she did in her first year in Atlanta when she won the Coach of the year but since then she was dreadful. After this year she has to pull in recruits and restock which will be a tall task especially if Dauda asks for her release and follows Kim.

At least Schneider and now Christa Gerlich are in the Big12 so Baylor will never hit rock bottom...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I get the impression with the transfer portal that Kim narrowed her HS recruiting prospects and just adds in from the portal

I hope she actually tries to recruit elite talent out of HS at LSU but Baylor’s HS recruiting the last few years have been meh
Seemed like she got locked into a PG or CG transfer cycle that maybe Andrew's might break, but I did think they were slipping a tad lately.

Reaction Score
Looks like Smith, Egbo, and Alabama transfer Jordan Lewis plan to stick around. A good foundation for year one. Could look a lot different in year 2. Really hope she can keep Maryam Dauda on board.
It's a top 10 or Top 5 team under Mulkey, but we know that doesn't always translate.

Reaction Score
The similarities to Collen and White's background is eerie. Like @Vowelguy said, the WNBA coaches have gotten slightly better but still can't compare to the top college coaches, add in the key recruiting concept and how to stay on the same wavelength as college kids vs. pros and I think anyone who just assumes the WNBA coaches will shine is sorely mistaken.

It would be hard for Collen to be as bad as White but no way do I think this was a "great hire" by Baylor. Recruiting and selling your program is essential to be an elite college coach and I do not see that in Collen.

This coming year should be ok for her as she has a good nucleus, just like she did in her first year in Atlanta when she won the Coach of the year but since then she was dreadful. After this year she has to pull in recruits and restock which will be a tall task especially if Dauda asks for her release and follows Kim.

At least Schneider and now Christa Gerlich are in the Big12 so Baylor will never hit rock bottom...:rolleyes:
I don't disagree with the basic point that WNBA coaching does not necessarily translate to the NCAA, but one fundamental difference between White and Collen is that Collen has actually been a college coach before - she has at least (?) 5 years serving as an assistant coach. So it won't all be new to her - she has connections to some AAU programs and evaluation services, and she at least has some experience dealing with recruits and recruiting.

That said, I agree that this is not a "win the press conference" hire by any means. She could turn out to be great, but if I am Maryam Dauda, I'm not completely reassured that Baylor WBB is going to stay the program I committed to.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the basic point that WNBA coaching does not necessarily translate to the NCAA, but one fundamental difference between White and Collen is that Collen has actually been a college coach before - she has at least (?) 5 years serving as an assistant coach. So it won't all be new to her - she has connections to some AAU programs and evaluation services, and she at least has some experience dealing with recruits and recruiting.

That said, I agree that this is not a "win the press conference" hire by any means. She could turn out to be great, but if I am Maryam Dauda, I'm not completely reassured that Baylor WBB is going to stay the program I committed to.
I would agree that the fact that she’s been an assistant and her husband a HC means she’s at least familiar with the unique demands of college.

but man if I were an opposing coach I’d be playing up Baylor’s restrictive environment. Kim could easily overcome that. Harder for a less established coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom