Baylor hire? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor hire?

Reaction Score
Such as ?

Geno, Tara, KimM, Vic = no
Brenda, Graves, Dawn = almost certainly no
Who else is there?
Holly “I don’t know” Warlick and Coach Jumper. Both can be there tomorrow for $2m
D7EA5484-DE4B-4606-B323-73CB8FF9DE08.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’d hire Amaka Agugua-Hamilton before I hire Joni Taylor. I’m guessing since Joni Taylor is married to a man with two kids she’s the best candidate :rolleyes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Such as ?

Geno, Tara, KimM, Vic = no
Brenda, Graves, Dawn = almost certainly no
Who else is there?
My "attainable" guesses (for $2 million annually) are Walz, Frese, Graves, Close, and Barnes (least likely being a UofA grad). That doesn't mean the A.D. will reach out to them. Doesn't mean these coaches want to leave. But, I think they are "attainable" based on the possible salary increase, and elite talent remaining at Baylor (as of this moment).

The cupboard is hardly empty at Baylor. Some head coaches could possibly walk into a more talented roster than what they leave behind, and then could bring in some transfers from their previous program.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You think Baylor is looking to spend what they spent on Mulkey?
According to the statements by their A.D. that they aren't gonna lower their budget for women's hoops . . .

Reaction Score
According to the statements by their A.D. that they aren't gonna lower their budget for women's hoops . . .
If they end up with Joni, they will probably save a million. Unless its one of those other coaches from those other top programs, no one should be touching 2 million annually.

Reaction Score
My "attainable" guesses (for $2 million annually) are Walz, Frese, Graves, Close, and Barnes (least likely being a UofA grad). That doesn't mean the A.D. will reach out to them. Doesn't mean these coaches want to leave. But, I think they are "attainable" based on the possible salary increase, and elite talent remaining at Baylor (as of this moment).

The cupboard is hardly empty at Baylor. Some head coaches could possibly walk into a more talented roster than what they leave behind, and then could bring in some transfers from their previous program.
Frese is not happening.
Am highly highly skeptical on Graves and Walz.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think Megan Duffy would be an excellent choice if some of the "big names" aren't available. You could tell watching her team that they were well coached, especially on the defensive end, without the level of talent that Baylor would afford. I bet she would produce really strong results.

She may be Catholic. Don’t the Baptists consider that worse than being atheist? :)

Megan Duffy would be an excellent choice for just about any job with her ability to maximize the talent she has.
However, as Vowelguy brings up, she is very much the product of a Catholic upbringing:
  • High School: Chaminade-Julienne High School, Ohio
  • Undergrad: University of Notre Dame, Indiana
  • Graduate School (and first asst. coaching gig): St. John's University, New York
  • Current gig: Marquette University, Wisconsin
Notice a pattern?

Yes, I can hear the "money talks," but Megan has lived and worked most of her professional career in the Midwest and/or Middle-Atlantic area. That's her recruiting zone, as well. Kim's made a killing at getting Texas- and regional-prospects, particularly bigs, to come to Baylor.
Megan hasn't done that (yet) and I don't think Baylor brass would feel comfortable with "should."

Possible Next steps for Duffy?
Get some more experience first. Keeping working (a natural for her) and improving.
Then....
I'm not saying Megan won't work at non-Catholic universities (see U of Michigan, George Washington), but it will have to the right fit. The sugestions below are all different, but would see up her alley.
  • If and when Joe McKeown of Northwestern retires, a move down the Lake Michigan coast could be doable.
  • As for public universities, if UVA continues to flounder, Duffy's name should be on speed dial (along with GG and Beth Morgan Cunningham).
  • I'll continue to hope for lessons learned and marked progress between the first and second year at a certain school with a golden dome in northwest Indiana, but I'm sure Irish AD Jack Swarbrick knows how to find Megan...

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All due respect to @Dillon77 but Duffy needs to actually WIN something or DO something in the NCAAT before you start bandying about propping her name for an elite program. It's one thing to tout her for her alma mater job when MM retired but not logical for another very different location and demographic job.

I like Duffy a lot but no way does she deserve any consideration for this job. No Texas roots, no success in the NCAA, no conference titles and she's only been a head coach for 4 years. She also has had zero success recruiting at an elite level. All of those are disqualifiers for me. Give her time though and I do think she will make noise on the WCBB scene. Hopefully making Marquette into a national power.

But I am sure Dillon will suggest another ND former coach or player to be nominated-maybe Beth Cunningham, Jonathan Tsipis both had head coaching experience....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Duffy is not going to win a conference title as long as Geno is still coaching and its hard for other teams in Big East to get the type of talent needed to advance in the tournament. Duffy losing in 1st round with Marquette's talent to me still more impressive than 3 seed Georgia losing in 2nd round with a bunch of 5th year seniors and high ranked recruits. Did Barnes Arico ever win BE at St. John's? It took her until her 10th season at St. John's to make sweet 16 but that was old Big East where more top recruits were going there. Now other than UConn its much different. I wouldn't take her for Baylor job but she would be good hire in the midwest at a bigger school.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All due respect to @Dillon77 but Duffy needs to actually WIN something or DO something in the NCAAT before you start bandying about propping her name for an elite program. It's one thing to tout her for her alma mater job when MM retired but not logical for another very different location and demographic job.
s
I like Duffy a lot but no way does she deserve any consideration for this job. No Texas roots, no success in the NCAA, no conference titles and she's only been a head coach for 4 years. She also has had zero success recruiting at an elite level. All of those are disqualifiers for me. Give her time though and I do think she will make noise on the WCBB scene. Hopefully making Marquette into a national power.

But I am sure Dillon will suggest another ND former coach or player to be nominated-maybe Beth Cunningham, Jonathan Tsipis both had head coaching experience....:rolleyes:

Did we overlap on the writing of these recent posts? I know you've read most of my posts regarding Duffy and while I'm not at your level of masterful snark (your words, not mine ;)), we're in agreement on many of your points. My major concern for Duffy is that I'd like to see how her recruiting does over the years. In her four short years, she's primarily been stellar at maximizing the talent she's inherited. That's a major part of coaching and will serve as a base for moving forward.

However, she's got to work on some elements, as you point out, and then there's the regional and perhaps, cultural, mismatch...for both Duffy and Baylor

BTW, I have Beth Morgan Cunningham in mind for an HC job, but it's certainly not the Baylor position. JT should use his buy-out $$ for a year to figure out what's next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Joni Taylor is the priority right now , if they dont get her then its fair game !
Joni Taylor's Husband is an Asst. Coach with the Atlanta Dream. Do they pull strings and add him to the staff of the Dallas WNBA franchise ? If Baylor was smart-they would hire that Yollette Mcphee from Ole Miss. she is the next rising star....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If you are going to put the other names on that list, might as well add Rueck.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If you are going to put the other names on that list, might as well add Rueck.

I thought about it! ? And, he has lost 2 assistant coaches this offseason already! Maybe he needs a change of scenery, in addition to more $$$$$$. But, the personnel currently at Baylor would not fit in to his system at all, IMO.

Reaction Score
I think Megan Duffy would be an excellent choice if some of the "big names" aren't available. You could tell watching her team that they were well coached, especially on the defensive end, without the level of talent that Baylor would afford. I bet she would produce really strong results.
I LOVE the Megan Duffy pick for Baylor. She's young and hungry and seems savvy.

Reaction Score
Joni Taylor Husband is an Asst. Coach with the Atlanta Dream. Do they pull strings and add him to the staff of the Dallas WNBA franchise ? If Baylor was smart-they would hire that Yollette Mcphee from Ole Miss. she is the next rising star....
Yolette i like , i never considered and im sure her salary at Ole Miss would be Crumbs in comparison to BU. I Like her in Waco Great Call !!

Reaction Score
The Baylor board listed the names above. Where they got it from is unknown. The AD did say he was surprised by all the interest in the job which says:
1. He’s an idiot to not realize how well regarded Kim made Baylor
2. The current roster is loaded
3. The money Kim made and Baylor was spending dwarves almost every other program
4. His initial choice may be getting a counteroffer from her existing school

While I do think Kim could be a tad dramatic, I think this AD is a complete tool and he blew it.
100% agree. That AD has to be the biggest idiot on the planet. Period. Absolutely clueless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom