Baylor back on the schedule next year? | The Boneyard

Baylor back on the schedule next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on a post from the Baylor site, Kim has announced a resumption of H&H with Uconn. Sounds good - they should be formidable next year.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I guess she will only play when she thinks she has an even-money chance of winning. That will be the case next year.
Right, I never understood why they stopped playing each other. When other teams play Uconn, the coaches are always laughing and hugging each other............then, you read the series will be discontinued....How about signing a 5-6 year contract with some of these teams??

Reaction Score
Always good to have competition at a high level. Wouldn't it be exciting if each year the top teams were automatically recruited to become the following years OOC schedule.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There will be a lot of teams wanting to play UConn next season with Stewie and Mojeff graduated. A win over UConn is huge for ranking in the polls. Some coaches think UConn is beatable next season. We will see how our underclassman develop.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There will be a lot of teams wanting to play UConn next season with Stewie and Mojeff graduated. A win over UConn is huge for ranking in the polls. Some coaches think UConn is beatable next season. We will see how our underclassman develop.

You're right. There's a lot of teams that would like a little "pay back" for lumps received from UConn during the last few years. If Natalie Butler performs as expected, and Collier and Samuelson make that sophomore adjustment as expected, and 1-2 of the class of 16 freshmen can make that high school to college adjustment in the first half of the season, then UConn will be OK. In Geno we trust.

We'll still have upperclassman leadership and experience with Tuck, Nurse, Williams and Chong. I'd wait until the Christmas break before I make any predictions about next year's team. Let's see them play a few games first.

Last edited:

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Kim doesn't like to lose. I don't blame her.

I think she doesn't want to be thumped by 20+, it can demoralize a team with high aspirations. Shes not in the lower tier of wcbb thinking that playing the top teams makes you better, even if its a loss by 40.

She wants her girls to have a chance to win, and build them up little by little.

It depends on her team really, if she she has the right leaders that aren't afraid of anything, like griner or sims were, she has the confidence.

We played you when we only had sims, it was not that bad of a game. 10 points?

Reaction Score
This is GREAT news. I don't don't agree with the idea that Coach Mulkey was afraid to lose to UConn. I don't think she's afraid of anything, I just think she was switching things up, which all coaches like to do.

I just hope there is a codicil in the contract mandating that Kim wear her gold Lamé jacket when they play in CT.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This is GREAT news. I don't don't agree with the idea that Coach Mulkey was afraid to lose to UConn. I don't think she's afraid of anything, I just think she was switching things up, which all coaches like to do.

I just hope there is a codicil in the contract mandating that Kim wear her gold Lamé jacket when they play in CT.
Have you seen Baylor's OOC schedules lately? As soon as Griner/Sims graduated she started playing absolute nobodies. I think if you're a top program you play the other top programs, regardless of who you have.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Uconn play Tennessee, Baylor, Duke, NC, Kentucky, Ohio State, Stanford, Maryland, South Carolina & ND every year. I'm sure Uconn would welcome them all. But that justs me dreaming.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am happy they are back on the schedule as they are a good team and well coached.
I agree that Kim pulled back significantly when she lost Griner/Sims and had a young team - I would say she went to an extreme in denuding the schedule of quality opponents. On the Baylor site there is an interesting thread where the scheduling is being seen as one of the reasons for falling attendance numbers, so it is an issue for her fanbase as well.
The interesting thing to me is that she seemed to under estimate the quality of her team, as they have maintained a very strong record and ranking, and probably could have benefitted with a better schedule earlier in the season. This year the schedule is an improvement over the past few years, but hopefully Uconn is not the only quality opponent being added.

Reaction Score
I hope you guys are right about this news, cuz I've shared it with my wife. On rare occasions, she will watch a UConn WBB game with me, but only with feigned, and very thinly-disguised interest. But where Kim is concerned, she will be glued to the TV so as to take in the full effect of the relevant wardrobe selections. And I'll be provided with a much better array of snacks than usual. Bring 'em on!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Confirmation from Jim Fuller: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/12/uconnbaylor-set-to-renew-series.html

"Next year's non-conference schedule has a chance to be one of the toughest the Huskies have ever played as contracts have been signed for the return games with Ohio State, Florida State, Maryland, LSU, DePaul, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kansas State. UConn will play Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena and UConn is expected to renew home and home series with South Carolina and Notre Dame."

Good to see the South Carolina and Notre Dame series will continue.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Confirmation from Jim Fuller: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/12/uconnbaylor-set-to-renew-series.html

"Next year's non-conference schedule has a chance to be one of the toughest the Huskies have ever played as contracts have been signed for the return games with Ohio State, Florida State, Maryland, LSU, DePaul, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kansas State. UConn will play Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena and UConn is expected to renew home and home series with South Carolina and Notre Dame."

Good to see the South Carolina and Notre Dame series will continue.
Bring 'em on!

Reaction Score

She didn't avoid UCONN this year for her OOC, she avoided everybody. She wants to get to the Tourney with an undefeated record. Not sure what Texas thinks about that.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Given how quickly Baylor has become strong again, I'd suggest that Kim's strategy was fundamentally sound.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She didn't avoid UCONN this year for her OOC, she avoided everybody. She wants to get to the Tourney with an undefeated record. Not sure what Texas thinks about that.

That is such BS. Kim is not trying to get an undefeated record, she is trying to bring the team along slowly with the addition of new talent on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom