Baylor back on the schedule next year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Baylor back on the schedule next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did it help? Or was it just that the team got better as the season progressed? I think it could have added extra motivation, but does that mean that if Baylor were to beat SC in an OOC game that SC would have the extra motivation to beat Baylor if they meet again in the tourney. It can help you or bite you in the tail.
I think it helps both teams be better prepared. And I do think when you look at a game like the one Oregon State played against TN, they seemed completely unprepared for the pace of a game against good athletes - turnovers, not getting back on defense ... Had they played a few better teams prior to that game, they might have been better prepared in that game. I suspect their next practice after the loss, the coaches had their attention.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it helps both teams be better prepared. And I do think when you look at a game like the one Oregon State played against TN, they seemed completely unprepared for the pace of a game against good athletes - turnovers, not getting back on defense ... Had they played a few better teams prior to that game, they might have been better prepared in that game. I suspect their next practice after the loss, the coaches had their attention.

Hopefully they store this in their memory bank for three months from now. I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
With Baylor back on the schedule next season, Jim Fuller reports that UConn's non-conference schedule for next season is shaping up to look like this:

Home

South Carolina
Baylor
Texas
Ohio State
Depaul
Chattanooga

Away

Notre Dame
Maryland
Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska

I don't care how weak the AAC is; that non-conference schedule is ridiculous. Jim Fuller reports that one additional opponent will be added, a perennial NCAA tournament team according to Jim. Recall that the AAC reduced the number of conference games from 18 to 16 starting next season so the non-conference schedule will include 13 games.

Geno's comments:

"There is a line from here to Chicago for people waiting to play us in non-conference games starting next year," Auriemma said with a laugh. "We understand that and I am sure we will take our lumps for a little bit. We played them all before we got Stewie so we might as well play them now."

"If we have one returning All-American next year or none, the schedule is going to be brutal and I think it should be. I think our home schedule should be the same way and the road schedule with the really young team that we are going to have is going to be really difficult. We are way past the stage of what our record is. What we are trying to accomplish is to get our team ready to win a national championship. What our record is going into the NCAA tournament is irrelevant, we are way past winning streaks. We have already been there, done that. Playing games that you God forbid might lose shouldn't be a don't do that. There are a lot of schools that schedule not to lose and that is not who we are."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a sick OOC schedule. 7 of the current top 10 teams and 8 if you count Depaul.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kim doesn't like to lose. I don't blame her.

I think she doesn't want to be thumped by 20+, it can demoralize a team with high aspirations. Shes not in the lower tier of wcbb thinking that playing the top teams makes you better, even if its a loss by 40.

She wants her girls to have a chance to win, and build them up little by little.

It depends on her team really, if she she has the right leaders that aren't afraid of anything, like griner or sims were, she has the confidence.

We played you when we only had sims, it was not that bad of a game. 10 points?
Odyssey was prolific. I'm still surprised that Baylor did not win 2-3 Nat Championships with those two. I like Kim. And I thought it was classy that Geno got a standing ovation from 16k fans his first time out of the portal their. That was something. Geno doesn't necessarily go over well in the south! :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Odyssey was prolific. I'm still surprised that Baylor did not win 2-3 Nat Championships with those two. I like Kim. And I thought it was classy that Geno got a standing ovation from 16k fans his first time out of the portal their. That was something. Geno doesn't necessarily go over well in the south! :)

Not only did Geno get a stand O, it lasted for a loooong time. I am not sure that I have ever seen the Baylor fans react like that. The fans knew that greatness was in the building and reacted accordingly. I was there and it was quite a moment.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Confirmation from Jim Fuller: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/12/uconnbaylor-set-to-renew-series.html

"Next year's non-conference schedule has a chance to be one of the toughest the Huskies have ever played as contracts have been signed for the return games with Ohio State, Florida State, Maryland, LSU, DePaul, Chattanooga, Nebraska, Kansas State. UConn will play Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena and UConn is expected to renew home and home series with South Carolina and Notre Dame."

Good to see the South Carolina and Notre Dame series will continue.

Yikes, that's going to be a hell of a non-con schedule next year.. Lots of tough teams with Ohio State, FSU, Maryland, South Carolina and Notre Dame likely being better than they are this year.

Hopefully the UCONN/SC series is renewed.

Reaction Score
No, but you have to admit that scheduling at least ONE of the perennial top programs (ND, UConn, SC, Tennessee, Stanford) would be preferable to another blowout against Grambling State at home. I just find it interesting that Kim schedules those programs when she has Griner/Sims but completely shies away from them if she is "rebuilding". If I were a top athlete at a place like Baylor I'd probably want to test myself against those teams every year. How does blowing out McNeese State prepare you for tournament play?
What program can you not say this about? You can nitpick everyone's schedule if you like, in the women's game I don't think it matters much. Kim M knows she has a team that in most years can make noise come March. I also think she knows her team better than we do.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the fans here will be a fun-loving bunch after UConn loses a game or two next season.
maybe, but that's how you build a champion team. If we want five in a row, next year we need to be forged in fire.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not only did Geno get a stand O, it lasted for a loooong time. I am not sure that I have ever seen the Baylor fans react like that. The fans knew that greatness was in the building and reacted accordingly. I was there and it was quite a moment.
ET - the only reason I/we heard that was Jeff Van Gundy or the other announcer that mentioned it prior to the start of the Nat Televised game. He also said that after Geno's entrance and stdg O, that there was a second one when Kim and he met to shake hands on the court. If that is true- that is really the cool and warms my heart. Even Muffet still gets a big ovation, as do all the big name coaches who play us at home. It's common place here. Jeff Van Gundy also commented right after that Geno deserved a standing ovation for the practice he witnessed the day before. Van Gundy said he's seen every great coaches run practice and drills. He said he's never seen a better practice than Geno's. Precision, no wasted seconds, focus- he said it was amazing!

Reaction Score
With Baylor back on the schedule next season, Jim Fuller reports that UConn's non-conference schedule for next season is shaping up to look like this:

Home

South Carolina
Baylor
Texas
Ohio State
Depaul
Chattanooga

Away

Notre Dame
Maryland
Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska

I don't care how weak the AAC is; that non-conference schedule is ridiculous. Jim Fuller reports that one additional opponent will be added, a perennial NCAA tournament team according to Jim. Recall that the AAC reduced the number of conference games from 18 to 16 starting next season so the non-conference schedule will include 13 games.

Geno's comments:

"There is a line from here to Chicago for people waiting to play us in non-conference games starting next year," Auriemma said with a laugh. "We understand that and I am sure we will take our lumps for a little bit. We played them all before we got Stewie so we might as well play them now."

"If we have one returning All-American next year or none, the schedule is going to be brutal and I think it should be. I think our home schedule should be the same way and the road schedule with the really young team that we are going to have is going to be really difficult. We are way past the stage of what our record is. What we are trying to accomplish is to get our team ready to win a national championship. What our record is going into the NCAA tournament is irrelevant, we are way past winning streaks. We have already been there, done that. Playing games that you God forbid might lose shouldn't be a don't do that. There are a lot of schools that schedule not to lose and that is not who we are."
Probably drop a couple of those, maybe more. No more Stewie, no more Mo, possibly no Tuck means a starting five of Chong, Kia, KLS, Collier, and Butler. Still a very good lineup, but not otherworldly like we've enjoyed the past several years.

Reaction Score
Probably drop a couple of those, maybe more. No more Stewie, no more Mo, possibly no Tuck means a starting five of Chong, Kia, KLS, Collier, and Butler. Still a very good lineup, but not otherworldly like we've enjoyed the past several years.
I like that lineup - maybe with Danger starting instead of Chong, at least midway through the season if not before. And if Tuck stays, add in Gabby, and you have yourself a serious NC contender if not favorite. I think KLS is gonna be off the charts good by next year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
According to Adamec, Dayton might get added to the schedule as well.

Reaction Score
According to Adamec, Dayton might get added to the schedule as well.
Of course we will still hear "but they play in the AAC!" Some people are absolutely obsessed with their conference.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I don't care how weak the AAC is; that non-conference schedule is ridiculous. Jim Fuller reports that one additional opponent will be added, a perennial NCAA tournament team according to Jim.

MEMO TO KATHY AURIEMMA: Every night as Geno is drifting off to sleep, please whisper in his ear "Michigan State, Michgan State"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Home

South Carolina
Baylor
Texas
Ohio State
Depaul
Chattanooga

Away

Notre Dame
Maryland
Florida State
Kansas State
LSU
Nebraska

Geno's comments:

If this is in fact UConn's OOC schedule for next year, I don't want to hear about how weak their AAC conference is. They will play as many ranked teams as anyone!!
NOBODY in the country will have a more difficult OOC schedule than this. No one can say Geno is dodging top ranked teams!! :cool: I still think Geno will come up with a quality "big" (to back up Natalie) BEFORE the start of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom