Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
After that Texas timeout in the middle of a key possession, the sequence ends with Joyner Holmes missing a 3. I don’t watch Texas regularly but it did remind me that she missed a late 3 in the W Va game (3 min remaining).

odd.
I am not sure which timeout you're referring to, but Aston had to call a TO in the final 2 minutes because Joyner was dribbling around the 3 point line, wasting time when they were only 2 scores down. Not sure how that position ended but she wasn't valuable seconds.

Reaction Score
We came closer to Baylor than UConn. Doesn't matter, but still a nice feather in our cap. Maybe will give us confidence.
You're honestly comparing the Horn's lose to Uconn's lose to Baylor??? SMH

Reaction Score
I'm saying that we may gain confidence by playing Baylor a tad closer than UConn. You should take that as a compliment. Yes, I know we were on our home court.

To DeeHusky. It's irrelevant, but Lashann Higgs was indeed a McD All-American. In my eyes and in the stat book, she got better every year. Sutton is far better than ever before (see stats, they are impressive this year). I agree, Charli looks pretty lost right now. Hope she comes along.

Reaction Score
Now I think Texas defensive scheme, had something too do with that. No other Team has slowed K. Brown down.
She scored 15 & had 6 rebounds which is pretty much her average so basically what she’s done all season...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There were a lot of weird things about tonight's game. If Ursin hadn't stepped up and had a career night, Baylor might've lost. Kalani had a "meh" game for her of 15 and 6, with almost all of her points coming on point-blank layups off lob passes or put-backs. Cox wasn't a major scoring force but did get 14 rebounds.

On the other hand, if Texas hadn't shot so uncharacteristically well from 3, they might've been down 25 before halftime. Sutton and Williams combined for 8-13 from the arc, and Williams in particular drained some high-difficulty 3s to fuel the late comeback. This may be the first time I've seen her look like the deadly sharpshooter I remember from her sophomore year at A&M.

I'll hand it to Texas. I saw more fight and spirit in that 4Q comeback than I've seen from them this whole year. Although nowhere near a sellout crowd, the noise was absolutely deafening when Texas, right after another Williams 3-pointer, got a steal on the press and Williams converted a layup to cut it to 7 with just under 3 minutes to go. On the next possession everyone thought Texas got another steal near midcourt, but a foul had been called with a whistle that no one could hear due to the crowd noise.

In sum, Texas remains a deeply flawed team, but at least I saw signs of life.

Reaction Score
I think I had the wrong possession. After the poor possession timeout, Sutton got two FTs by driving on Cox. Then Danni fouls Ursin, who makes one of two to make it 70-66 with 30.2 left. Watch the replay after the last Texas timeout to advance the inbound.

Sutton takes the inbound and drives the left side of the lane again. She's cut off this time and passes to Holmes who is backing out beyond the 3 point line to take the long range shot.

That just seems weird to me. When Sutton starts her drive Holmes is deep enough to go for a layup when Cox helps on Sutton. And in the meantime Williams has gotten inside position to take a potential dish from Holmes for a layup if that's cut off.

Holmes for 3 in that situation is not how I'd draw it up.

Reaction Score
Observations of this game from the west coast:

1. Texas: Undisciplined. Joyner Holmes is a train wreck with the ball in her hands outside the key. That possession in the final minute when nobody on Texas wanted the ball said it all.
2. Baylor looks like every Baylor Team I've seen the past few years, except this Baylor team is better defensively. If Baylor was in the PAC-12, or, ACC, could Baylor finish in the top 2?
3. Watching this game only adds to my belief that this season, #1 through #4 seeds are pretty equal come tournament time, and we will see more seeds outside of #1 seeds in the FINAL 4.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Wrong on both counts. If you didn't know, Prince is out for the year with an injury. We have no one who can shoot or play like Higgs. Just check the stats.
I think Sutton pats the ball too often. She also likes to showboat, dribbling between her legs without moving forward, not passing to an open teammate just to get her own shot, and playing to the crowd like she did tonight when she hit the shot right before the half time buzzer. Did she not know that her team was still behind in the score? I believe Higgs is a big loss and more dangerous than Sutton.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Sutton pats the ball too often. She also likes to showboat, dribbling between her legs without moving forward, not passing to an open teammate just to get her own shot, and playing to the crowd like she did tonight when she hit the shot right before the half time buzzer. Did she not know that her team was still behind in the score? I believe Higgs is a big loss and more dangerous than Sutton.
I mean, she did have 6 assists tonight, and she's averaging 5.6 apg, 3rd in the conference. I don't think that's bad, especially considering Texas isn't a great shooting team.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is wearing a dark arm band, that I am guessing is protecting her insulin pod or maybe her glucose monitor. I have seen her wearing a white one in other games. Does she wear a home and an away arm band?

Lauren's band on her arm is for her monitor. The Baylor trainer has a constant reading on her during the game. She usually matches her band color with the uniform color.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I mean, she did have 6 assists tonight, and she's averaging 5.6 apg, 3rd in the conference. I don't think that's bad, especially considering Texas isn't a great shooting team.
I still think she should be better. There is too much street ball in her. However, she is at Texas so I should not expect more, I guess.

Reaction Score
My take, this game confirmed that all of the top level team have flaws and certain matchup highlight those flaws. I really feel this year’s tournament will be great and the champion will have to play at the elite level and any of 10 teams could end up winning.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
My take, this game confirmed that all of the top level team have flaws and certain matchup highlight those flaws. I really feel this year’s tournament will be great and the champion will have to play at the elite level and any of 10 teams could end up winning.
Sure, the field of contenders is wide, but 10 teams? Who are your 10?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Sure, the field of contenders is wide, but 10 teams? Who are your 10?

Sorry to jump in, but it would be shocking to me if the champ was anyone outside the Top 6 right now, with the possible exception of Stanford.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry to jump in, but it would be shocking to me if the champ was anyone outside the Top 6 right now, with the possible exception of Stanford.
I would agree that perhaps we could go beyond 6 teams if we are just talking about making the FF, but winning the NC? Really don't see it beyond 7 possibilities:

Miss St
Baylor
Louisville
Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Stanford

Who are the last 3?

Oregon St?
Marquette?
NC State?
Maryland?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Lauren's band on her arm is for her monitor. The Baylor trainer has a constant reading on her during the game. She usually matches her band color with the uniform color.
Ah. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Miss St
Baylor
Louisville
Notre Dame
UConn
Oregon
Stanford

I think you hit the nail on the head with this list. Realistically this is the main group that I see winning a NC. I think Oregon St and Maryland can be dangerous to make a run depending on which team shows up.

Then again, when it comes tournament time, it only takes one bad game to take you out despite what you have done all year. That is what makes tournament time fun.

At least this year, it seems very wide open, should make it more exciting.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just have to add this postscript: After seeing Brown and Cox side by side, I'm not buying the official 3-inch height difference between those two. Either Brown is shorter than 6'7" or Cox is taller than 6'4".

Reaction Score
I just have to add this postscript: After seeing Brown and Cox side by side, I'm not buying the official 3-inch height difference between those two. Either Brown is shorter than 6'7" or Cox is taller than 6'4".

Attachments

• 17681547_G.jpg
    17681547_G.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 87

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Boy, like a redwood forest. Not just tall but big. :eek::oops:

Reaction Score
I'm saying that we may gain confidence by playing Baylor a tad closer than UConn. You should take that as a compliment. Yes, I know we were on our home court.

To DeeHusky. It's irrelevant, but Lashann Higgs was indeed a McD All-American. In my eyes and in the stat book, she got better every year. Sutton is far better than ever before (see stats, they are impressive this year). I agree, Charli looks pretty lost right now. Hope she comes along.
As a Texas resident, I receive all the UT and most Baylor games. One person's opinion on the confidence question. Baylor just took its foot off the gas since the game was not competitive-beating UT at every aspect of the game. Happy for you it got close but I doubt anyone on the UT women's basketball team thinks they have the skills to come close to Baylor (and likely most top 10 teams) in future.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baylor doesn’t lose to bad teams.
And they don’t lose to mediocre teams, average teams, or even good teams. Over the last three regular seasons, the Bears have only lost to great top 15 teams. Baylor also doesn’t lose at home: they’ve only done so once in the past five seasons.

Not too long ago, this was emphatically said about UConn. They seldom lost to anyone, anywhere. Not today. We all know where they are right now. The question is will they ever return to those "glory" days again?
If so, when? :rolleyes:

[Article]

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Lauren Cox was the #1 recruit, Joyner Holmes was #2 in their class. Neither, to me, are playing like it. Crystal Dangerfield at #3, Ionescu at #4 and Jackie Young at #11 are all playing better.
You bring up a good point on “development” of skills, knowledge and evolution for success. In some ways, we, UConn fans have been spoiled by watching all the players who have developed into AA’s, NPOY, had pro careers or stayed involved in BB in coaching, administrative functions that we think this is the “normal or expected” process. It is not. Many think they will get better by simply playing just like any worker thinks they will get promoted by just coming to work each day. That’s not the case, a coach has to set goals, challenge the member and push them to reach their limits. Holmes, in particular still plays wildly out of control, relying too much on her sheer athleticism and it retards her development. That’s on both her and Aston. Cox is mildly inhibited due to Brown but also due to health and Mulkey’s lack of front court development process. Griner admits she didn’t really evolve her skills until later and relied on her athleticism during her Baylor days. Kim was a guard and is really good with them and the wings.
Sabrina May be the rare athlete due to her preexisting skills, that even without a great coach, she is evolving on her own. Muffet, has regularly developed great players so that, to me explains your correct observations.

Reaction Score
You bring up a good point on “development” of skills, knowledge and evolution for success. In some ways, we, UConn fans have been spoiled by watching all the players who have developed into AA’s, NPOY, had pro careers or stayed involved in BB in coaching, administrative functions that we think this is the “normal or expected” process. It is not. Many think they will get better by simply playing just like any worker thinks they will get promoted by just coming to work each day. That’s not the case, a coach has to set goals, challenge the member and push them to reach their limits. Holmes, in particular still plays wildly out of control, relying too much on her sheer athleticism and it retards her development. That’s on both her and Aston. Cox is mildly inhibited due to Brown but also due to health and Mulkey’s lack of front court development process. Griner admits she didn’t really evolve her skills until later and relied on her athleticism during her Baylor days. Kim was a guard and is really good with them and the wings.
Sabrina May be the rare athlete due to her preexisting skills, that even without a great coach, she is evolving on her own. Muffet, has regularly developed great players so that, to me explains your correct observations.
I agree with every point you made. I want to add that Griner has improved, but I still don’t think she gives enough effort or will ever reach her full potential. Imho, Griner should have been a league MVP by now and probably more than once. She should’ve dominated the league simply because there are no other players like her. Or Maybe her peak is coming —Sylvia Fowles had an MVP season her 9th or 10th season in the league.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I really think that you are underestimating Graves interactions with Ionescu. There is no question that her commitment and intensity is such that she would surely continue to develop on her own. That said, however, when she arrived in Eugene she (by her own account) didn't know how to run a pick and roll and, in fact, had never really had to learn how to run plays or played defense. That has all changed (the first two, anyway, the last at least a bit) over the past 2+ seasons. Likewise, there is no question that the development of Ruthy Hebard from a very raw basketball player who had never been challenged as an Alaskan high-schooler and even considered redshirting as a freshman to the player she is today occurred at Oregon, where she has improved every year. The same is true of Satou Sabally, who is twice the player this year that she was last. Although Graves may not be a great coach--there are very few of those--his track record everywhere that he has been (St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Oregon) demonstrates that he is a very good one. And, if Geno has set the standard for developing players, that doesn't mean, as sometimes seems to be assumed on this board, that other coaches can't do that as well, even in Eugene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom