Basketball not to be this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Basketball not to be this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The thing is that parents will have a vote. If it appears that their children will be in danger of getting seriously ill or dying, will they let them go to the university? Will they agree to pay tuition? Even in states that are "opening up," customers- and workers- are staying away in droves.

And what happens at a, say, University of Michigan if all of a sudden 30 kids get sick in a dormitory? Will the rest just stay there as if nothing had happened? What if that dorm outbreak is followed by half a dozen kids at another dorm getting ill and being hospitalized? I'm guessing that the chancellor will immediately cancel the semester. Can you imagine the legal risk to those university officials if they keep classes going, and kids die?

And recall that the NBA cancelled its season when a small number of athletes on one team, then another, tested positive. If a kid on one college team tests positive, will other teams go ahead and play against that team? And what if one team's season is cancelled? What of the league?

And Fauci has warned that this fall will see an even worse outbreak than the one that's claimed 83,000 lives.

We've never experienced anything like this. But I have a feeling that our season is not going to happen.
Yes Fauci's predictions have bee so accurate to date. Lets by all means cancel for November games now????

Reaction Score
Just heard U of Michigan going live with students on campus for Fall Semester.

Here in Minnesota, the University of Minnesota still hasn't committed to having students on campus...yet. Still a waiting game. Purdue, Iowa, and I think Nebraska are looking at students being on campus. Bold move by those schools.

Reaction Score
The "Powers That Be" keep acting like one day we will wake up and it will be gone. Not going to happen! Every one of us will get it one way or the other. Either you will show symptoms or you will be asymptomatic. The population can not begin to fight it on their own until a vast majority has been exposed to it. Isolation may have slowed down the spread, but it also slowed down the immune buildup.

If you watched any of the hearing yesterday, you heard that the vaccine may never be effective. The Flu vaccine is usually only 50-60% effective. Everyone seems to be banking on something that may never come.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The "Powers That Be" keep acting like one day we will wake up and it will be gone. Not going to happen! Every one of us will get it one way or the other. Either you will show symptoms or you will be asymptomatic. The population can not begin to fight it on their own until a vast majority has been exposed to it. Isolation may have slowed down the spread, but it also slowed down the immune buildup.

If you watched any of the hearing yesterday, you heard that the vaccine may never be effective. The Flu vaccine is usually only 50-60% effective. Everyone seems to be banking on something that may never come.
A comment on the flu vaccine. There are literally hundreds of different flu strains. The flu vaccine is actually a cocktail of 3 or so vaccines that are projected by the CDC to combat the most prevalent strains for a given flu season. If you happen to catch another strain, the flu vaccine is not effective.

As for COVID-19, there are numerous challenges to developing an effective vaccine. For now, I will go with Dr Fauci’s comment yesterday when he responded to a senator that he was reasonably confident that a vaccine could be developed to combat this virus.

Reaction Score
You guys know this does not include, UCLA, Cal, UC Davis, all part of the UC system. Nor. USC(private) or Stanford(private)

The 23 Cal State schools can be seen on the linked map, scroll over the red dots.

www2.calstate.edu/attend/campuses

Yes, you're correct that the "Cal State" system is separate from the "UofC" system. But I'm guessing that the epidemiology and medical assumptions upon which the Cal State system based their decision are identical to those upon which the president of the UofC system will base his. And as California goes, the country's largest state by population, won't many others also go?

I fervently hope that this will go away. But the facts of this virus just aren't permitting hope to become reality.

This situation is akin to World War II. It has disrupted all of our lives, people are getting terribly sick, and many are dying. I don't see normality for a very long time.

Though I wish to be proven wrong...

Reaction Score
I'm not real current, I admit, but in my day dorms were really just buildings with a lot of rooms, usually shared by 2 students. Generally no cooking facilities, which was provided either by the school or at local food joints and communal restrooms. Not much different from a student apartment, which likely has 2 (or more) students sharing and a private bathroom, and probably a kitchen that doesn't get much use. Unless things have changed in 42 years . . .

FWIW I was lucky in that my one year in a dorm was in an "antique" with 2 bedrooms (4 students total) and a "living room". I opted to move my bed to the back wall of the "living room" (which wasn't otherwise furnished), which actually was quite cool. Wasn't any privacy anyway, but I had space.

I didn't see much change from my days as a dorm resident and those of my kids. For all of the talk of luxury accommodations, for most kids dorms are small rooms with multiple kids packed in. The perfect vector for infectious diseases.

Reaction Score
A poll out today conducted by Washington Post and U of Maryland found that half of all respondents believed that it would be safe to attend "gatherings of 10 people or more" either "late in 2020" or even later than that.

That impacts how parents will decide what to do with their college-aged children- and their tuition dollars. An article in the Dartmouth College newspaper revealed that some incoming freshmen are considering taking a "gap year."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do believe we are several months away from a “go or no go” decision by parents and students as to whether or not to attend college in the fall. In the meantime, colleges need to work furiously to establish safe campus environments. Whatever a respective college’s decision is relative to reopening, parents and students will decide whether or not to come back based on whether or not they feel safe.

Here is an analogous situation. With little else to do right now, I spend a lot of time working on my house and yard. As such I make 1 or 2 trips per week to either Lowes or Home Depot. I’ve effectively stopped going to Lowes because they are disorganized, out-of-stock in many items and I don’t feel particularly safe with the way they enforce mask wearing and social distancing guidelines.

On the other hand, Home Depot does an excellent job. There is one door in and one door out. Employees monitor the number of customers in the store at any one time with a limit of 75. For those waiting to get in, they have set up a rope line with posts and signage at 6’ intervals. Most people do self checkout, but even there, HD has marked off waiting spots with floor tape 6’ apart. To the extent you might use a cashier, they are positioned behind plexiglass panels. Everyone wears a mask.

For colleges, retailers, restaurants and hundreds of other businesses, the key to a successful reopening will lie in their ability to instill confidence in students, parents, employees and customers that they are providing as safe an environment as possible.

Reaction Score
Arizona State University and the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University have all announced that they will have on-campus students this fall.

I am wondering what impact this will have on those schools ability to stage fall athletics. I listen to Brian Windorst the other day on ESPN radio discussing the NBA. He spent over two months researching a story on how basketball might return. He said every time he tracked down an answer to one of his questions two more questions were generated.

He said if someone came to him and asked him what he thought would be the best solution he said to cancel the season. With that said if the Cal State decision influences the University of California system I'm not really sure where that leaves ASU and the U of A. As far as NAU is concerned and women's basketball they could easily play and socially distance.

Reaction Score
I do believe we are several months away from a “go or no go” decision by parents and students as to whether or not to attend college in the fall. In the meantime, colleges need to work furiously to establish safe campus environments. Whatever a respective college’s decision is relative to reopening, parents and students will decide whether or not to come back based on whether or not they feel safe.
Fall semester starts in a little over three months, so realistically you have maybe six more weeks to make the decision. I don't think this will be some long drawn out process. By next month I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what schools will be open for business for the fall and which ones won't. It seems like it's an all or nothing proposition for schools where they can either re-open safely on the normal fall schedule, or they wait until January to allow extra time and just keep doing what they've been doing since March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Arizona State University and the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University have all announced that they will have on-campus students this fall.

I am wondering what impact this will have on those schools ability to stage fall athletics. I listen to Brian Windorst the other day on ESPN radio discussing the NBA. He spent over two months researching a story on how basketball might return. He said every time he tracked down an answer to one of his questions two more questions were generated.

He said if someone came to him and asked him what he thought would be the best solution he said to cancel the season. With that said if the Cal State decision influences the University of California system I'm not really sure where that leaves ASU and the U of A. As far as NAU is concerned and women's basketball they could easily play and socially distance.
While you can certainly eliminate fans, I’m not quite sure how it’s possible to socially distance players, coaches and officials on the court, in locker rooms and on busses and planes when traveling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even as we sit at mid May, it feels like a 50/50 proposition as to whether we will be viewing (TV) live UConn hoops in the current calendar year.

Reaction Score
UConn will be announcing their decision by June 30th, so stay tuned. If California doesn't want to play that's their choice. Hopefully the NCAA allows student-athletes at those schools a free transfer so they can go play somewhere else, or at least grants them an extra year of eligibility. There will be sports this fall with or without California.
Hopefully, other schools will do the right thing and not resume classes in the fall. These are tough times and the tough will shelter in place. Here’s to the wise folks in California who made the smart decision.

Reaction Score
What is the NCAA's role here, or conference organizations for that matter? From a sports standpoint obviously
that decision comes after opening schools in general and the campus or online decision. But it seems like there is the possibility that since schools are making these decisions independently, you could have conferences where some members are closed and others aren't, and some out of conference schools on your tentative schedule are closed as well.

That gets pretty complicated if it plays out that way. You could even have a crazy situation where Tara or Geno might get to pass Pat's record number of wins first because the other school cancelled their season.

Reaction Score
What is the NCAA's role here, or conference organizations for that matter? From a sports standpoint obviously
that decision comes after opening schools in general and the campus or online decision. But it seems like there is the possibility that since schools are making these decisions independently, you could have conferences where some members are closed and others aren't, and some out of conference schools on your tentative schedule are closed as well.

That gets pretty complicated if it plays out that way. You could even have a crazy situation where Tara or Geno might get to pass Pat's record number of wins first because the other school cancelled their season.
NCAA providing zero leadership, as usual...

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should just let whatever games that can go on as scheduled go on. Schools that want to play should be able to. Where the NCAA can be useful is in setting the rules in the cases where a school decides they aren't going to play part or all of their season. For example, do missed games count as losses if a team can't make its scheduled game but their opponent is ready to play? Do you do something for the student-athletes who are stuck at a school where they can't play/miss their season? How do you deal with tournament qualification? Everything else can be left to the conferences to figure out with respect to scheduling.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This Virus situation is Tragic, sad, and disappointing. Tragic and sad because so many lives have been and will continue to be lost and so many people are suffering in many ways. Also, jobs, and homes have been lost and people are going hungry. Lives have been disrupted. Disappointing because there is a good chance we will not see any of the 2020 teams take the court intact as we expected to see. I really was looking forward to seeing the UConn team with all the new recruits play together. The same with the other teams because some are going to be really good. As things stand now, the probability of all the players keeping their commitments to certain schools is shaky, especially if some schools choose to play and some don't, imo. I think UConn has a juggernaut in the making and I would love to see them stay together.

Reaction Score
If even one player on any team contracts the virus it is just not worth the risk of starting the season until fall of 2021...The players are just kids and all have parents who will worry....

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA should just let whatever games that can go on as scheduled go on. Schools that want to play should be able to. Where the NCAA can be useful is in setting the rules in the cases where a school decides they aren't going to play part or all of their season. For example, do missed games count as losses if a team can't make its scheduled game but their opponent is ready to play? Do you do something for the student-athletes who are stuck at a school where they can't play/miss their season? How do you deal with tournament qualification? Everything else can be left to the conferences to figure out with respect to scheduling.
Just cancel. It is the responsible thing to do. Every week we learn new ways the virus affects people, from young children with blood infections to young adults with strokes.

Reaction Score

The Arizona schools will reverse their positions. It is the responsible thing to do.

Reaction Score
The problem is: none of the "experts" know what the future holds. I get so angry when the 2 political sides argue about what steps to take, instead of working together for the good of the whole country.
I agree, a lot of us want to be Americans rather than Dems or Reps.

Reaction Score
The thing is that parents will have a vote. If it appears that their children will be in danger of getting seriously ill or dying, will they let them go to the university? Will they agree to pay tuition? Even in states that are "opening up," customers- and workers- are staying away in droves.

And what happens at a, say, University of Michigan if all of a sudden 30 kids get sick in a dormitory? Will the rest just stay there as if nothing had happened? What if that dorm outbreak is followed by half a dozen kids at another dorm getting ill and being hospitalized? I'm guessing that the chancellor will immediately cancel the semester. Can you imagine the legal risk to those university officials if they keep classes going, and kids die?

And recall that the NBA cancelled its season when a small number of athletes on one team, then another, tested positive. If a kid on one college team tests positive, will other teams go ahead and play against that team? And what if one team's season is cancelled? What of the league?

And Fauci has warned that this fall will see an even worse outbreak than the one that's claimed 83,000 lives.

We've never experienced anything like this. But I have a feeling that our season is not going to happen.
Ok, let's say colleges don't open but have online classes for the first semester. Do we have basketball? I say no. If they open up the dorms and the classrooms for the first semester and kids get sick the legal liability would be tremendous. So I think they won't open. So no basketball. What about the 2nd semester. It depends on how we are doing with the virus. This will possibly screw up recruiting since I think if they don't have a season players would be granted additional eligibility. What do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom