Basketball not to be this year? | The Boneyard

Basketball not to be this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The California State University system has just announced that courses this fall will be held online:

"The chancellor of California State University, the nation’s largest four-year public university system, said Tuesday that classes at its 23 campuses would be canceled for the fall semester, with instruction taking place almost exclusively online."

If the largest public university system in the state that has the lowest level of infections of any major state is canceling classes, what is the chance that the University of Connecticut in the state with the third highest rate of death from the disease will be open for classes? And basketball?

It's not looking good....

Reaction Score
UConn will be announcing their decision by June 30th, so stay tuned. If California doesn't want to play that's their choice. Hopefully the NCAA allows student-athletes at those schools a free transfer so they can go play somewhere else, or at least grants them an extra year of eligibility. There will be sports this fall with or without California.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the TV contracts with the conferences say about a cancelled season? Is there insurance like what the NFL had when the players went on strike?

Reaction Score
If someone had predicted schools closing 4 months ago they would have been laughed at. Now it looks like we will be under house arrest forever.
Things are never as bad nor as good as they appear at any given moment. It's 5 months till practices are supposed to start and a lot can change, for better or for worse.
My hope? Basketball will be played but not until mid-year break.

And football will likely be played in some places. Too much TV $$$ at stake. To say nothing of the gambling.

Reaction Score
I wish there were some degree of continuity in what is going on. I prefer to know as much as possible even if down the line it is bad because at least we can plan to some degree. Unfortunately the enemy we are fighting does not appear to have a timeline and is getting in the first punch before we can counter. As much as I'd love to see our ladies running up and down the court and flattening their opponents I'd rather see them stay safe to fight another day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That certainly puts a damper on the Mountain West conference among others. It will be interesting to see if CA’s independent universities in the Pac-12 follow suit.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Just heard U of Michigan going live with students on campus for Fall Semester.

Reaction Score
Cal State (481,929} and SUNY (State University of NY, 424,051) are the two largest universities in USA. If SUNY announces the cancel of Fall semester I expect more will follow.

A friend of mine is teaching in SUNY Albany and he said they are waiting on the state to make a decision, and most likely will cancel the Fall 2020.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I wish there were some degree of continuity in what is going on. I prefer to know as much as possible even if down the line it is bad because at least we can plan to some degree. Unfortunately the enemy we are fighting does not appear to have a timeline and is getting in the first punch before we can counter. As much as I'd love to see our ladies running up and down the court and flattening their opponents I'd rather see them stay safe to fight another day.
The problem is: none of the "experts" know what the future holds. I get so angry when the 2 political sides argue about what steps to take, instead of working together for the good of the whole country.

Reaction Score
Just heard U of Michigan going live with students on campus for Fall Semester.

The thing is that parents will have a vote. If it appears that their children will be in danger of getting seriously ill or dying, will they let them go to the university? Will they agree to pay tuition? Even in states that are "opening up," customers- and workers- are staying away in droves.

And what happens at a, say, University of Michigan if all of a sudden 30 kids get sick in a dormitory? Will the rest just stay there as if nothing had happened? What if that dorm outbreak is followed by half a dozen kids at another dorm getting ill and being hospitalized? I'm guessing that the chancellor will immediately cancel the semester. Can you imagine the legal risk to those university officials if they keep classes going, and kids die?

And recall that the NBA cancelled its season when a small number of athletes on one team, then another, tested positive. If a kid on one college team tests positive, will other teams go ahead and play against that team? And what if one team's season is cancelled? What of the league?

And Fauci has warned that this fall will see an even worse outbreak than the one that's claimed 83,000 lives.

We've never experienced anything like this. But I have a feeling that our season is not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Here is the list of colleges' possible plan. Currently the vast majority say they are planning for an in-person fall semester.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching the hearings today with the medical professionals at the Senate Health & Education committee, Chairman Alexander made the point that for schools to open up around the country, and to have parents and students confident enough for everyone to go back, it will be imperative that the country dramatically expand testing capability to be able to test all students, faculty and staff frequently, and to have staff and procedures in place to isolate positive cases and complete contact tracing.

I don’t know that there is a school in the country that’s prepared to do that today. Hopefully, by the fall that changes substantially.

One additional point from the hearings today. Dr. Fauci was quite clear that it was highly unlikely that a vaccine would be available by the start of the school year in the fall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully the NCAA allows student-athletes at those schools a free transfer so they can go play somewhere else, or at least grants them an extra year of eligibility. There will be sports this fall with or without California.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...............I know some schools in the Northeast like Harvard have said they will be online only this fall while others in the South like the University of South Carolina and UNC say they are planning to be open but it's still too soon to see if fellow SEC/ACC schools will follow suite.............same goes for every major conference.........it would certainly be disheartening if UConn was unable to play and even worse if some of their prized recruits chose to transfer elsewhere so they could play in the fall.............

Reaction Score
Even if colleges do open, there will invariably be outbreaks in dorms or on a football team (or any sport). What do you do at that point? In 2009, the H1N1 pandemic lasted 20 months. Colleges are in a really tough spot right now. COVID-19 will be with us for awhile and could become endemic to the population.

Reaction Score
Even if colleges do open, there will invariably be outbreaks in dorms or on a football team (or any sport). What do you do at that point? In 2009, the H1N1 pandemic lasted 20 months. Colleges are in a really tough spot right now. COVID-19 will be with us for awhile and could become endemic to the population.

I heard one commentator say only half jokingly that colleges should lock all of their students in their dorms in July where they would all catch the virus and be healthy and ready to go by August.........if only they could guarantee that nobody got seriously ill...........:rolleyes:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Too early to predict anything, but maybe Cal State system feels they can financially sustain themselves even with activities on campus canceled for one semester. I'd be surprised if finances weren't involved in each individual school's decision. Athletics are probably the last thing on their minds.

Like I said, way too early to make any predictions but I do think some schools will open, some schools will go strictly online, some will offer a choice to each individual student, but the best idea at the very least is to suspend all dormitories for one semester... that's one thing we can live without, and it's better for everyone.

I am looking at a projection model and they predict by June 1, there will be a high of 500 deaths on that day, and go slowly down after that. Just a prediction of course.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Too early to predict anything, but maybe Cal State system feels they can financially sustain themselves even with activities on campus canceled for one semester. I'd be surprised if finances weren't involved in each individual school's decision. Athletics are probably the last thing on their minds.

Like I said, way too early to make any predictions but I do think some schools will open, some schools will go strictly online, some will offer a choice to each individual student, but the best idea at the very least is to suspend all dormitories for one semester... that's one thing we can live without, and it's better for everyone.

I am looking at a projection model and they predict by June 1, there will be a high of 500 deaths on that day, and go slowly down after that. Just a prediction of course.
Not quite sure if you’re suggesting that some schools can open with on-campus classes but no dormitories. I guess that would be fine, to the extent that students can commute from home. But for many big universities with national and international student bodies, there is no on-campus option without dormitories.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Not quite sure if you’re suggesting that some schools can open with on-campus classes but no dormitories. I guess that would be fine, to the extent that students can commute from home. But for many big universities with national and international student bodies, there is no on-campus option without dormitories.

Well I don't know much about dormitories and I won't pretend to. But isn't there apartments peripheral to the campus? Though that's like the most minor point within my post so..

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
You guys know this does not include, UCLA, Cal, UC Davis, all part of the UC system. Nor. USC(private) or Stanford(private)

The 23 Cal State schools can be seen on the linked map, scroll over the red dots.

www2.calstate.edu/attend/campuses

Reaction Score
Well I don't know much about dormitories and I won't pretend to. But isn't there apartments peripheral to the campus? Though that's like the most minor point within my post so..
Live in dorms are much cheaper than rent an apartment off campus. Money will be an issue special for students without scholarship. This is a very tough decision ...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not real current, I admit, but in my day dorms were really just buildings with a lot of rooms, usually shared by 2 students. Generally no cooking facilities, which was provided either by the school or at local food joints and communal restrooms. Not much different from a student apartment, which likely has 2 (or more) students sharing and a private bathroom, and probably a kitchen that doesn't get much use. Unless things have changed in 42 years . . .

FWIW I was lucky in that my one year in a dorm was in an "antique" with 2 bedrooms (4 students total) and a "living room". I opted to move my bed to the back wall of the "living room" (which wasn't otherwise furnished), which actually was quite cool. Wasn't any privacy anyway, but I had space.

Reaction Score
You guys know this does not include, UCLA, Cal, UC Davis, all part of the UC system. Nor. USC(private) or Stanford(private)
Yes, only for Cal State System not includes UC Syatem.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It's still early...there's time for this scourge to go one way or another...Patience...all will be clear.

It was just a day or so ago that authorities were thinking: ok, there's no problem with elementary age kids so we can open primary schools...then along comes Kawasaki...and I'm not talking about motorcycles.

The next two or three weeks (with some states opening) will be useful in figuring out if our current problem will accelerate or diminish.

By mid-June all will be clear and our current semi-bewilderment will be resolved. Ja order nein...Too early to prognosticate now.

i do have one (sick) fantasy...that against significant emphasis to the contrary, the SEC packs a couple of stadiums for the first week of the gridiron season...47,000 become infected in week one and all comes to a crashing halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom