OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The school thing is no doubt tricky but I think we should be able to find a way with reduced classroom size, masks all day, hand washing and other precautions. A lot of people are back to the real world and following the precautions with no sign of major spread. Europe has been back in school for a while, Sweden never shut down school for kids and there are no real signs of problems. Again our leadership is a huge hurdle but where there is good leadership at the local level I don't see why kids can't be back in school. As we all know there are all sorts of problems associated with kids not being in school.
The CDC has also recommended schools reopen. They’ve outlined guidance that should be followed when they reopen. The CDC Director - Redfield - also said that we are now seeing more suicides and drug overdose deaths (above excess) among high school kids than we are seeing from COVID. He also said children face a 1 in a million risk of dying from this and the common flu is 5 to 10 times more dangerous. This was within the last few weeks he made these statements. I know a lot of people are touting what the CDC and Fauci have advocated so just adding a few other things the CDC Director has said that I haven't heard get a lot of attention.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting uglier. Players are creatures of habit and with all of the stops and starts, it is going to affect the quality of play to a certain extent. Now, you have a bunch of young guys sitting in hotel rooms for 4-5 days being told to not do anything. You are always going to have the idiots that want to go out and party and chat up the ladies. These are the ones that will ruin it for everyone else.

Side note : I would hate to be the guy who figures out schedules for the league.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Sad. This kills me. But a bubble was the only way it was going to work.

NBA had it beyond easy compared to the nfl and mlb.

Reaction Score
Sad. This kills me. But a bubble was the only way it was going to work.

NBA had it beyond easy compared to the nfl and mlb.
I’d say MLB was the easiest but they screwed it all up. The NBA is tougher, their organization is just a million times more competent.

Reaction Score
I’d say MLB was the easiest but they screwed it all up. The NBA is tougher, their organization is just a million times more competent.
Those leagues have revenue sharing from tv. Baseball doesn't mid/ small market teams are at a huge disadvantage in baseball. Owners were hoping to show this could work and get fans to be allowed

the Q

Reaction Score

Not even close. More players. They had a whole season to figure out.

It’s much easier to do a bubble for a smaller set of games with a much smaller set of people.

The nfl and mlb bubbles would be legitimate municipality sized populations.

Reaction Score
Not even close. More players. They had a whole season to figure out.

It’s much easier to do a bubble for a smaller set of games with a much smaller set of people.

The nfl and mlb bubbles would be legitimate municipality sized populations.
Lol, it's like 2/3X as many players for MLB as the NBA, hardly a municipality sized population.

They play outdoors, a huge advantage. Players are more naturally spaced apart, a huge advantage. Players don't really need to talk on defense close together like in the NBA, a huge advantage.

They could have had 3-4 "bubbles" in different cities and only played those teams. They could have decided at the beginning to shorten the season.

There are a million things MLB could have done, but they are just a mess.

the Q

Reaction Score
Lol, it's like 2/3X as many players for MLB as the NBA, hardly a municipality sized population.

They play outdoors, a huge advantage. Players are more naturally spaced apart, a huge advantage. Players don't really need to talk on defense close together like in the NBA, a huge advantage.

They could have had 3-4 "bubbles" in different cities and only played those teams. They could have decided at the beginning to shorten the season.

There are a million things MLB could have done, but they are just a mess.

there are at least 30 municipalities in ct that would be smaller than either an mlbnor NBA bubble. Yes they could’ve done smaller bubbles. But it’s just a lot more to do.Running multiple sites is a lot harder than one site. It’s not even close.

Reaction Score
there are at least 30 municipalities in ct that would be smaller than either an mlbnor NBA bubble. Yes they could’ve done smaller bubbles. But it’s just a lot more to do.Running multiple sites is a lot harder than one site. It’s not even close.
Why is it a lot harder? You can have smart protocols and apply them at each site, you just need competent leadership. MLB is in bad shape because they have rules like "hey the Florida Marlins had guys test positive but they can still play games". I still see players still high fiving, etc. There are very basic smart things they could do and they're not even trying.

Reaction Score
Think it's getting pretty close to saying college sports won't be happening
Either create a bubble or push sports back to Spring. Basketball shouldn't be too difficult to play, everyone has been playing bball games all summer.

Reaction Score
The CDC has also recommended schools reopen. They’ve outlined guidance that should be followed when they reopen. The CDC Director - Redfield - also said that we are now seeing more suicides and drug overdose deaths (above excess) among high school kids than we are seeing from COVID. He also said children face a 1 in a million risk of dying from this and the common flu is 5 to 10 times more dangerous. This was within the last few weeks he made these statements. I know a lot of people are touting what the CDC and Fauci have advocated so just adding a few other things the CDC Director has said that I haven't heard get a lot of attention.
It is not getting attention because the CDC said something different UNTIL they were manipulated to issue an opinion statement countering their detailed guidance documents that quite logically would preclude opening schools amidst the US's every worsening conditions. IF you read the opinion statement, it is rife with qualifiers such as "The best available evidence" repeated at least 3 times, "Scientific studies SUGGEST that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools MAY be low.", "No studies are conclusive", on and on.
It concludes:
"The best AVAILABLE evidence from countries that have opened schools indicates that COVID-19 poses low risks to school-aged children, at least in areas with low community transmission, and suggests that children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus. That is SIX qualifiers in one damn sentence.

Municipalities and their schools, colleges, businesses etc.. are all being way more cautious then baseball or the revised opinion. The guidance and procedures by the way are pretty much unchanged, very restrictive, expensive and would dictate don't open schools in areas where the virus is currently surging.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. NBA is only 15 players that play in a gym for 48 min a game. Easy to play 3-4 games in one day if necessary at same place. Lots of options available for places to play. MLB is traveling to cities. 30 man roster, games take 4 hours + with warm ups etc. no way you could have all 30 mlb teams play in one city

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. NBA is only 15 players that play in a gym for 48 min a game. Easy to play 3-4 games in one day if necessary at same place. Lots of options available for places to play. MLB is traveling to cities. 30 man roster, games take 4 hours + with warm ups etc. no way you could have all 30 mlb teams play in one city
That was MLB's decision to travel to cities and play in their home ballparks, they easily could've done what the NBA did. MLB is just terribly run.

Reaction Score
I think the point is sports like baseball, tennis & golf with no to minimal physical contact & played outside should or could be easier. There certainly are tournaments spots/cities where 3 or 4 baseball games could be played at once (I think they considered college world series site). It is nonsensical to travel all over the country to play in empty stadiums and the proximity necessary for travel & exponentially more/different interactions create exposure incidents and escalate group infection spread. Similarly most companies have plans to reopen offices but are not removing travel restrictions (or if you travel, you quarantine).

Reaction Score
It is certainly easier for the NBA, but MLB could have made better decisions. They tried to have it all and may soon end up with nothing.

Reaction Score
That was MLB's decision to travel to cities and play in their home ballparks, they easily could've done what the NBA did. MLB is just terribly run.
Omaha might be the only place MLB could have gone and that's not large enough/ enough fields for 30 baseball teams. There aren't MLB caliber complexes built for baseball.

Basketball has a lot more sites and options. It's apples and oranges

Reaction Score
i see a summer camp in Georgia had something like 75% of the attendees testing positive with the 6 to 10 age group being the age group with most positives. Ominous sign for school openings. That many kids testing positive just puts too many people in jeopardy from school employees, to busdrivers to parents and grandparents.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

The issue with that is that even if every player abides to protocols - and that's a big if - operating staff, trainers, and other clubhouse personnel who are part of traveling parties are not part of the union.

That said, I'm glad baseball tried. It's been a welcome diversion. I hold out hope MLB can still pull this off, but it's getting tenuous.

There really was no "bubble" solution that didn't involve travel. The only workable "bubble" solution would've been something like three pods, (NYC/Boston/Philly), (LA/SD), (Chicago/Milwaukee) that involved 10-12 parks, bus travel only and day games in addition to night games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom