OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Likewise. An 8 and 6 year old. Two VERY sensitive girls. I’m scared to death of what is silently growing in their heads as a result of the quarantine.
Read post #127. Returning to school could be more detrimental

Reaction Score
The death rate thing is such a bogus argument, sorry to say ... do you see the Red Sox guy with the heart issues? Do you know what the long term effects are of this disease? Do you think it's ok to keep playing if only 1% of the MLB players die?
It’s the Senator Ron Johnson (R. Wisconsin) approach. If we just let the virus run it’s course it will “ only” kill 1% of the population. The other 99% will just carry on. Of course that means +- 3.5 million deaths.

so there are only about 1000-1200 major leaguers. 10-12 is a small price to pay.

Reaction Score
It’s the Senator Ron Johnson (R. Wisconsin) approach. If we just let the virus run it’s course it will “ only” kill 1% of the population. The other 99% will just carry on. Of course that means +- 3.5 million deaths.

so there are only about 1000-1200 major leaguers. 10-12 is a small price to pay.
Yea if Mike trout, lebron or pat mahomes parishes who cares we still get to watch sports

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yea if Mike trout, lebron or pat mahomes parishes who cares we still get to watch sports

A grim reality is life would go on for almost everyone else. At the end of the day any individual isn't shutting down the world economy.

And yes, every Angels fan would still watch the Angels if Mike Trout died and Chiefs' fans would watch KC if Mahomes died.

Reaction Score
I for one could not care less.... I tuned out of baseball after the strike in 1994 and only attend games if I am given tickets. I never watch on TV unless it is the World Series, just because it is the World Series. I grew up in the Bronx as a Yankee fan in the 50s and was a huge baseball fan until the strike ruined what was going to be a great season for too many reasons to go into here. I think it would be great if all of professional sports were to take a huge dive and force both the prices of tickets and the salaries down. Wishful thinking for sure.

Reaction Score
The death rate thing is such a bogus argument, sorry to say ... do you see the Red Sox guy with the heart issues? Do you know what the long term effects are of this disease? Do you think it's ok to keep playing if only 1% of the MLB players die?
Do you think 1% of MLB players will die?

Come on man, you say death rates don't matter and then throw out 1% of MLB players will die as your low ball #.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There will be try-outs at Yale Field today at 1pm.

Reaction Score
this season is going to become such a joke from a competitive standpoint. So now, basically all other NL East Teams (with the exception of the Braves), will get to play a minor league team for three games (even more so than the marlins already are).

Reaction Score
I get it, but you can die driving to work. You can die from the flu. You can die from pneumonia or bronchitis. And no, this isn't significantly more risky than those are for most people, and is less risky for other people, including kids. Life isn't risk free. People who want to just keep things closed, even baseball are assigning a level of risk to this disease that it doesn't deserve.

God, what a stupid line of thinking.

You can die driving to work. You can also increase that risk driving recklessly, driving drunk, driving fast or driving blindfolded. Life isn't risk free but you can also MANAGE some risk. Anyone who throws logic to the wind and says "Oh well! I could die driving a car." is a fool.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Do you think 1% of MLB players will die?

Come on man, you say death rates don't matter and then throw out 1% of MLB players will die as your low ball #.

I'm using 1% as the overall death rate that everyone else uses to downplay the significance of the virus ... that's not my number nor my argument, I'm using their argument to say that 1% of any given population dying over a preventable disease is not insignificant. What's hard to understand about that? Would 10-12 MLB players dying over a virus be "insignificant?"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
God, what a stupid line of thinking.

You can die driving to work. You can also increase that risk driving recklessly, driving drunk, driving fast or driving blindfolded. Life isn't risk free but you can also MANAGE some risk. Anyone who throws logic to the wind and says "Oh well! I could die driving a car." is a fool.

Anybody who thinks this is more risky than safely driving to school, for a kid, is a fool. I'm all for managing risk responsibly. I think we opened some things we shouldn't have (indoor dining, gyms). We closed things we shouldn't have (beaches, parks, golf, small retail with capacity limits). Too much emphasis on what is "essential" and not what can be done with low risk. What is "essential" should only be relevant for what is high risk. Working at CVS for 8 hours is risky, but is essential. Schools are probably lower risk than that and every bit as essential. Golfing is almost zero risk, but is non essential.

Reaction Score
Everyone's talking about deaths but ignoring potential long term issues outside of death. Between Eduardo Rodriguez on the Sox and this study below, that seems short-sighted until more information is available.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the MLB the first league that talked about a "bubble" idea? What happened with that?

Reaction Score
I'm using 1% as the overall death rate that everyone else uses to downplay the significance of the virus ... that's not my number nor my argument, I'm using their argument to say that 1% of any given population dying over a preventable disease is not insignificant. What's hard to understand about that? Would 10-12 MLB players dying over a virus be "insignificant?"
Do you really think 10-12 MLB players will die from Covid? Do you really think 1% of our population will die from Covid?

Reaction Score
Everyone's talking about deaths but ignoring potential long term issues outside of death. Between Eduardo Rodriguez on the Sox and this study below, that seems short-sighted until more information is available.

Couple that w/ this experience: Yale New Haven lung clinic brings diverse expertise to COVID patients

Hard to nail down long term effects in novo coronavirus still being learned about.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wasn't the MLB the first league that talked about a "bubble" idea? What happened with that?

Players didn’t want it, and owners wanted their home stadiums to get some % of fans in the stands by the end of the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

1% is way higher than what the experts are saying. The CDC's number for the U.S. is .4% The WHO number is higher at .64% nut that includes a lot of countries without adequate advanced medical care.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Do you really think 10-12 MLB players will die from Covid? Do you really think 1% of our population will die from Covid?

if everyone just let things go on and lived normally, which is the premise that was being discussed, yeah I think it's possible. And also, as everyone keeps saying, there are other effects of the disease besides death that aren't great. So just because you don't die doesn't mean you want to contract it.

People are mentioning "such a small percentage of people have died from it" as a means to say it's not that serious and we should carry on like normal. In that scenario, yes I think way too many people would die and also be affected negatively than I'm comfortable with.

I'm merely combating that argument. If you disagree, cool. I hope you don't get it, even if you do survive.

Reaction Score
if everyone just let things go on and lived normally, which is the premise that was being discussed, yeah I think it's possible. And also, as everyone keeps saying, there are other effects of the disease besides death that aren't great. So just because you don't die doesn't mean you want to contract it.

People are mentioning "such a small percentage of people have died from it" as a means to say it's not that serious and we should carry on like normal. In that scenario, yes I think way too many people would die and also be affected negatively than I'm comfortable with.

I'm merely combating that argument. If you disagree, cool. I hope you don't get it, even if you do survive.
I'm saying take all the smart precautions but we shouldn't be canceling things when there are some positive tests. It's going to happen and if you listen to the docs it's going to happen for years. The overhwhelming majority of young people who have it are fine, this should have been about protecting the old and sick from day 1.

Reaction Score
Reading through this thread there's an elephant in the room feeling that no one wants to touch because it'll likely derail the entire thread. The saddest part of what's happened with this virus, is when the science was co-opted by politics. I'll refrain from tossing out blame as that usually results in meaningless arguments leading to nowhere.
From the beginning when this thing first attacked the world, all countries got in line, listened to the scientific experts, and followed their recommendations. But as I predicted early on, America's spirit of individuality & freedom was always gonna be the biggest obstacle to fighting this disease and once it became political, that obstacle became a boulder. We don't like people telling us what to do, we think we know better, and everyone's an expert nowadays. And with the internet and social media at our fingertips we can always find a source to back up our point of view, no matter how wrong or misguided it may be.
So, while most other countries went through the quarantines and are now starting to reopen, we are suffering the effects of not sticking to the science, following the experts advice, and being on the same path as they are. We are literally banned from the rest of the planet, our passports are useless, because we don't wanna wear masks, or social distance, or simply stay the frick home.
Now the pattern is about to repeat with opening up these schools and putting our kids at risk with no overall UNIVERSAL plan on how to go about it. In some states masks will not be required at all, and the logic being "well, its kids and they don't get affected as much". We are literally doing the same things and expecting different results, the pure definition of insanity.
I'm not a pessimist by nature, I really do want to hope for the best. But most likely, the sports leagues will probably have to stop playing the games at some point, and schools will likely have to close down again. We rushed to "reopen the economy" and the results are what we've seen in TX, AZ, FL, and so on, so why should this episode turn out any different? We can't get out of this cycle until we bite the bullet, sit down, and have several seats. And unless and until there's a vaccine, we'll be right back here in a few months having the same arguments, and debating the same points.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm saying take all the smart precautions but we shouldn't be canceling things when there are some positive tests. It's going to happen and if you listen to the docs it's going to happen for years. The overhwhelming majority of young people who have it are fine, this should have been about protecting the old and sick from day 1.

There's no way to protect the old and sick if we send kids back to school, because many older and sick people live with kids in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom