OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes

We also don't know for sure this isn't as deadly for children. Most the children in the Industrialized world have beed sequestered at home during the pandemic. We won't know what this means for children until we see them in their normal routine for several months. But I hope you are correct.

But "survival" may not be a pretty picture for a six year old who ends up with lingering, if not, lifelong effects due to covid-19. We should have had a coordinated national response. We could have gotten ahead of those thing, and then made some decisions about getting back to normal. But now, we are going to simply roll the dice and hope for the best with the nation's children and educators.
I agree, our response has been terrible and we've had zero leadership.

The school thing is no doubt tricky but I think we should be able to find a way with reduced classroom size, masks all day, hand washing and other precautions. A lot of people are back to the real world and following the precautions with no sign of major spread. Europe has been back in school for a while, Sweden never shut down school for kids and there are no real signs of problems. Again our leadership is a huge hurdle but where there is good leadership at the local level I don't see why kids can't be back in school. As we all know there are all sorts of problems associated with kids not being in school.

Sorry about your friend, I hope he can pull through longterm without too much permanent damage.

Reaction Score
Has anyone compared the virus to the flu on this board? There are lunatics on the internet who think it's comparable to the flu and a hoax but I haven't seen anyone compare it to the flu. The only time myself and others have brought up the flu is to say it's more deadly for children than this virus is and it's done in context of how can our kids be safely educated. I don't know the other major killers of children but we have readily available numbers for the flu.
There's been a few, but they don't post on the basketball board and would like to keep it that way so I won't call them out here. It's the same people who keep calling it the Coronavirus and claiming ignorance

Reaction Score
And this means what? There is plenty of data and info that clearly shows that countries like Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, Netherlands, Canada, and New Zealand enjoy a superior quality of life to the usa. Perhaps the same can even be said for Australia, Singapore, France and, Japan. I know/have met several ppl from all of those countries, never heard a single complaint. A slightly higher tax rate means very little if you know you won't be fiscally ruined or die just because someone rear-ends you or you get cancer or if, god forbid, you lose your job and need support while finding a new place of employment in the meantime or just some time to get healthy. In the USA the large majority of ppl are one missed paycheck away from financial ruin and there is limited, if no, social safety net, especially if you get a sudden injury or illness. But lets put Sweden on blast, ya...
I never blasted sweden...I just love it when people love to quote all these countries like they are nirvana...with very little experience there. How'd you like this..in Denmark college is free....IF you qualify...and that means not everyone can go....and they test kids and the highest scoring gets to pick his school...and down the line...it's basically a draft. No BB or FB scale, either So not everyone can go. How would that fly here? I (used to) travel there for work...most of my contacts say yes we have benefits...but many say not worth the taxes. How is a 57% tax rate slightly higher? the highest US tax bracket is 37% before deductions for those making over 600k...in Sweden it's 57% at 75k...plus a 25% VAT.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I never blasted sweden...I just love it when people love to quote all these countries like they are nirvana...with very little experience there. How'd you like this..in Denmark college is free....IF you qualify...and that means not everyone can go....and they test kids and the highest scoring gets to pick his school...and down the line...it's basically a draft. No BB or FB scale, either So not everyone can go. How would that fly here? I (used to) travel there for work...most of my contacts say yes we have benefits...but many say not worth the taxes. How is a 57% tax rate slightly higher? the highest US tax bracket is 37% before deductions for those making over 600k...in Sweden it's 57% at 75k...plus a 25% VAT.
And yet.....

37BF061D-9AF5-49C3-9F70-605A4E6B803B.png

Reaction Score
Bottom line is IF school is so damn important let's shut EVERYTHING down EVERYWHERE in the US for 2-3 weeks, no more 'essential' Stop (fast food, home depot, even supermarkets are non-essential if we have advance warning) it should be Christmas Day August 15- 31. Holiday, all paid.
If school really is THAT important to people (it is to me, and I'd do it in a heartbeat), then everyone chooses to comply (if not STFU) and we can re-open schools safely while mitigating the future risks of massive outbreaks.

Of course that entails sacrifice, nationally coordinated actions, responsible behavior including admission that the self is not more important than the whole, lots of testing, screening, tracking protocols universally adopted, enforced and followed.

Instead we get the ongoing dogdoo show of ill-conceived desires to open things as if each new opening scheme is a magic cure-all.
No, those thinking about it are not against school, the economy or opening schools, we are trying to stop the umpteenth predictable chaos event that brings on more illness, more economic hardship, etc...

Reaction Score
Bottom line is IF school is so damn important let's shut EVERYTHING down EVERYWHERE in the US for 2-3 weeks, no more 'essential' Stop (fast food, home depot, even supermarkets are non-essential if we have advance warning) it should be Christmas Day August 15- 31. Holiday, all paid.
If school really is THAT important to people (it is to me, and I'd do it in a heartbeat), then everyone chooses to comply (if not STFU) and we can re-open schools safely while mitigating the future risks of massive outbreaks.

Of course that entails sacrifice, nationally coordinated actions, responsible behavior including admission that the self is not more important than the whole, lots of testing, screening, tracking protocols universally adopted, enforced and followed.

Instead we get the ongoing dogdoo show of ill-conceived desires to open things as if each new opening scheme is a magic cure-all.
No, those thinking about it are not against school, the economy or opening schools, we are trying to stop the umpteenth predictable chaos event that brings on more illness, more economic hardship, etc...
I said that since day 1 and most people on the board disagreed, Nelson was about the only other person pushing for it.

Reaction Score
It's a website that doesn't think climate change is real. So that's what you can make of it.
The creator and publisher of this site does not deny climate change.... If you track the site he cites specific data which document that the climate has changed and continues to change daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and over centuries. He provides graphs of this data that document these changes. He does not use computer models. His biggest disagreement is with the computer models used to develop the erroneous predictions and costly solutions to perceived future climate disasters. He is a scientific statistician, and speaking as an engineer, I believe he provides a great perspective on factual climate events that both occurred in the past and are occurring today around the world.

Why not track the site for a few weeks, read his posts and watch his videos? You may be surprised at what you find.

Reaction Score
The creator and publisher of this site does not deny climate change.... If you track the site he cites specific data which document that the climate has changed and continues to change daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and over centuries. He provides graphs of this data that document these changes. He does not use computer models. His biggest disagreement is with the computer models used to develop the erroneous predictions and costly solutions to perceived future climate disasters. He is a scientific statistician, and speaking as an engineer, I believe he provides a great perspective on factual climate events that both occurred in the past and are occurring today around the world.

Why not track the site for a few weeks, read his posts and watch his videos? You may be surprised at what you find.
Yeah I’m familiar with the site.

Reaction Score
Joe Kelly went up about a million notches in my book...

Joe Kelly, Carlos Correa jaw as benches clear - ESPN Video

View attachment 57102

Totally disagree with this take, and with all the Joe Kelly love in general.

He's such a try-hard fake tough guy.

Being a tough guy against the Astros when he WASN'T EVEN ON THE DODGERS in 2017 or 2018, in fact, he was on the Red Sox! WHO ALSO CHEATED!

Hypocrite phony clown he is.

Reaction Score

Being a tough guy against the Astros when he WASN'T EVEN ON THE DODGERS in 2017 or 2018, in fact, he was on the Red Sox! WHO ALSO CHEATED!

Good point. Glad he did it as Covid has made life much easier than it should be for cheaters. But I see your point on it being Kelly and his background. Hope there’s more, they deserve it especially Carerra.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

That's exactly why this thing is roller coastering for 5 months now ... no coordinated effort and no entire shut down ... agree 100% I was going to write more but I think you accurately captured what I think without me regurgitating.

Reaction Score
Disagree, Kelly may not be a good pitcher, is definitely a hot-head, questionable decision making etc, but he is willing to throw down. Someone needed to go at the Astros and he's exactly the necessary kind of abc hole (in a good way) to do it.

Reaction Score
Da-dum, da-dum...

This is going to end spectacularly badly it seems. Hope not, especially because it'll most likely be yet another unheeded warning of how we are not ready, unable to take or stick to necessary full measures.
Please no more half measures.

Reaction Score
This is going to end spectacularly badly it seems. Hope not, especially because it'll most likely be yet another unheeded warning of how we are not ready, unable to take or stick to necessary full measures.
Please no more half measures.
Hate the baseball news but love the Breaking Bad speech.

Reaction Score
And this means what? There is plenty of data and info that clearly shows that countries like Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, Netherlands, Canada, and New Zealand enjoy a superior quality of life to the usa. Perhaps the same can even be said for Australia, Singapore, France and, Japan. I know/have met several ppl from all of those countries, never heard a single complaint. A slightly higher tax rate means very little if you know you won't be fiscally ruined or die just because someone rear-ends you or you get cancer or if, god forbid, you lose your job and need support while finding a new place of employment in the meantime or just some time to get healthy. In the USA the large majority of ppl are one missed paycheck away from financial ruin and there is limited, if no, social safety net, especially if you get a sudden injury or illness. But lets put Sweden on blast, ya...
You forgot to mention the mandatory vacation time yearly. Something like 2 months I believe

Reaction Score
The school thing is no doubt tricky but I think we should be able to find a way with reduced classroom size, masks all day, hand washing and other precautions. A lot of people are back to the real world and following the precautions with no sign of major spread. Europe has been back in school for a while, Sweden never shut down school for kids and there are no real signs of problems. Again our leadership is a huge hurdle but where there is good leadership at the local level I don't see why kids can't be back in school. As we all know there are all sorts of problems associated with kids not being in school.
The CDC has also recommended schools reopen. They’ve outlined guidance that should be followed when they reopen. The CDC Director - Redfield - also said that we are now seeing more suicides and drug overdose deaths (above excess) among high school kids than we are seeing from COVID. He also said children face a 1 in a million risk of dying from this and the common flu is 5 to 10 times more dangerous. This was within the last few weeks he made these statements. I know a lot of people are touting what the CDC and Fauci have advocated so just adding a few other things the CDC Director has said that I haven't heard get a lot of attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro